Quickbooks Online Reviews

4.3 (5,732) Write a Review!

About Quickbooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime.

Learn more about Quickbooks Online

Pros:

Everything is easy to use, the bank integration feature is super helpful, and I can do it on any computer that has internet.

Cons:

When you first start using the app it can be irritating and tricky.

Quickbooks Online ratings

4.2
3.9
4.2
4.1

8.0/10

Quickbooks Online has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 5,732 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Quickbooks Online before?

Filter reviews (5,732)

Jose J
Jose J
CTO in US

One of the Best Accounting Software for Small to Mid-sized businesses

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Quickbooks online is our main tool and resource to have a quick snapshot of our accounting, sales, taxes, and profit/loss reports. Also, Quickbooks is our invoicing software and CRM.

Pros:

The onboarding and migration of our company data from an offline software to Quickbooks Online was way faster than we expected. Aside from that, QuickBooks has been our main and preferred accounting and invoicing tool since 2018.

Cons:

I believe Quickbooks Online reports are not that customizable like the offline Quickbooks versions. Also, there are differences managing multiple companies. We need to create and buy separate Quickbooks Online accounts for each of our companies and with the offline versions we just had to buy one set of licenses, that allowed us to manage multiple company files.

Daniel
Accountant in Poland
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees

Excellent online bookkeeping software.

Comments: I love QuickBooks and this is the software of our choice for our practice.

Pros:

The reporting side is the best on the market, with many dimensions of data available, more than e.g. Xero, with only two tracking categories. I also like the support, being able to speak to a person if needed. Also the discounting referral system is very good.

Cons:

VAT management and reconciliation can be quite tricky, as software often allows to change the previously submitted to HMRC data.

Elisa
Property Accountant in US
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Slow & Slow

Pros:

Only plus to this software is its accessible anywhere.

Cons:

Would never recommend this online accounting software. Inputting information is like typing on my grandmother's typewriter. Th eslowest software I've had to endure, just horrible

2 months ago

We hate to hear you're having troubles with the QuickBooks Online, Elisa. We'd love to take a look into the latency with you to make sure you're able to run your business efficiently. If you haven't already, please reach out to our Team using one of the methods listed here to get started: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/quickbooks-online-support/L6WqNrDq0_US_en_US) All the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Ahmad
Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

QBO is excellent for non-profit except for a few limitations

Comments: It is the best for small size non-profits as long as one can find an away to produce end of year donation tax statements

Pros:

If you know how to setup the chart of accounts including using Locations and Classes you can fairly run non-profit accounting very smoothly. Data entry is simple. Reporting is fairly good. Import and export functions are very good.

Cons:

There are serious limitations with issuing end of year donation statements. One can't filter out sales and can't customize the statement text to meet regulations. The statements are very inflexible.

Rachel
CEO in US

I LOVED THE OLDER VERSION. New version, not so much. So we switched.

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Biggest Pro: This is built for robust accounting. The older version of Quickbooks online for Mac included an app. That app was key because the browser version often took a long time to load. I could get in, out , and be done in minutes. There was even a time tracking technology that was integrated at the time that was included in the package for free. It was great... and then it all changed.

Cons:

I don't love the new browser only experience. It wasn't as seamless as the app. The time tracking is now $$$.

3 weeks ago

Thanks for your review, Rachel! We appreciate you giving QuickBooks Online a try, and we're glad that it worked well for you while you guys were using it. If you'd ever reconsider the product in the future, or meet others that are interested, please feel free to visit: (quickbooks.intuit.com) and you can get in touch via phone or chat for assistance! We wish you the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Amit
Director in UK
Staffing & Recruiting, 2-10 Employees

Great within limits

4.0 last month New

Comments: The support team provided me assurances that the issue would be resolved but never was. I eventually had lower subcontractors after a few months so I stopped bothering.

Pros:

Intuitive and Powerful accounting tool. Also like the fact that our annual accounts generation is now extremely low cost, as we are able to outsource to UK qualified accountants who may be based abroad.

Cons:

You can outgrow it quickly. When we had 45+ subcontractors filling their timesheets on QB, the consolidated invoice generation at the end of month started getting problematic. Apparently there is a 1000 record limit to how many daily time records can be included into an invoice. Their support couldn’t help. I self diagnosed the issue

last month

Hello there, and thanks for your review, Amit! It's awesome to hear that QuickBooks Online is working so well for your business, and congratulations on your companys growth. Please keep in mind that you can upgrade your subscription type in-account at any time if you feel like you need more room to grow. If you're still running into any issues, or need help, please feel free to reach out by phone or chat using the 'Help(?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of from there. We appreciate you being part of the QuickBooks family! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Nick
Director in Barbados
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees

Maybe I should call this slow books

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Frustrated success

Pros:

It does my accounts, and it does them well, but all accounting systems do the same

Cons:

I work on lots of different things at the same time, having online QuickBooks means that I go and make an adjustment in another program I've been logged out so I have to go through the deeply frustrating effort of logging in again. It is very annoying. Secondly I have talked to QuickBooks suggested that I produce a report on products but it should include the photographs that I have put in against all my products. I'm told that is a good idea, but as usual nothing happens.

Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Love QBO so much

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love that QuickBooks is online and cloud-based. I am a busy executive Director, and mother, this last year has been nuts for me. I have had to travel to multiple states for work, for fun, or I had to stay home with my sick kids. QuickBooks online gives me the ability to manage accounts across multiple financial institutions, work with our accountant for compliance, and keep our auditors happy.

Cons:

I honestly don’t really have any complaints. If you were used to the desktop version, it’s a little different, but I’m in my 30s and my accountant is in her 50s and neither of us had any issue getting used to the change in software. It might be a struggle if you are not as tech savvy.

Nischala
Nischala
Manager-Payroll/admin in US
Retail, 51-200 Employees

Time saving solutions at one platform

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I am very happy in using everyday Quickbooks Online. It is easy to operate and has excellent reconcilation, automated reporting and integrated with various financial payment channels .

Pros:

Easy integration with bank,credit card and all methods of payment. Comprehensive tax , payroll and financial reporting. 24/7 accountant help.

Cons:

sometimes bank sync issues cause delay in reconciliation and reporting. Most of the time its bank server is not sending feeds but still it is a concern.

Priscilla
Priscilla
Sole proprietor in US
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees

A superior tax and business management product

4.0 last month New

Comments: Wonderful experience with the software I have no real complaints

Pros:

I love the user interface and how easy it is to use

Cons:

There are features I don't use that do take up space and I wish that I could get rid of the features that I don't use

Claire
Director in UK
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees

Pretty decent accounting software with a good price point

4.0 7 days ago New

Comments: I use Quickbooks on a daily basis for invoicing clients, bank reconcilliation as well as looking at the various reports. I have customised the reports to show the time period and categories that are useful for our business.

Pros:

Intergrates with other accountantss practice software seemlessly. Easy to set up and get started.

Cons:

You can not create a credit note from an invoice which would be useful instead you need to start from a blank document and type in the invoice information.

Bookkeeper in US
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees

Full of features & easy to use

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Despite the cost and occasional glitches, I still believe that QuickBooks is currently the best product available for small business accounting.

Pros:

I have used a lot of different accounting software and QuickBooks Online is by far the most functional and easy to use. I love the bank connection and the ability to categorize transactions as they come through the bank feed. The dashboard layout is visually appealing, the reports are great and the ability to customize them is an added bonus. Invoicing works great, and the ability to receive payments directly through QuickBooks makes the invoicing process quick and easy. Payroll is easy to use and with direct deposit automating payroll is also an option.

Cons:

As someone that has used QuickBooks Online for many years, I don't love the cost of QuickBooks Online. They are constantly adding new updates and features but in my opinion the cost increase has been excessive in comparison with the added functionality. Also, on several occasions I've run into technical glitches in the software. Customer support is always kind but they're rarely able to help solve the issue and the problems are escalated and take a lot of time to rectify.

karie
owner in US

QBO Accountant

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, I am happy with the product. they also have live chat now, and they can call you if you need to talk to someone. Customer service definitely is great improvement over the years. It is big for me because I refuse to work with any software company that I cannot talk to anyone (hint hint Zenefits). And most of the time they get it resolved over the chat. Recommended

Pros:

Love the bank matching function, makes the bank reconciliation 10x better if you do it right. It's very easy to navigate the system, for beginners, it's the easiest system I used so far for them to pick up. Make sure if you set up, you don't use the simple cheapest version if you own a business tho, it's cheaper but the reporting is not as good as essential and above. I have implemented qbo for all my small clients that doesn't need a big system for POs

Cons:

I have mixed feeling about the auto categorization, some bookkeepers gets lazy and thinks it's correct and just click add, which half of the time can be wrong especially when it comes to use project and classes. it's a great function to make our lives easier, but also makes people lazier. I made sure to train my employees to not get lazy and check every transaction

Marie
founder in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 Employees

The Platform your Bookkeeper knows best

5.0 last month New

Pros:

QBO does what you need it to do, makes invoiceing easy and my bookkeeper knows how touse all the fancy features. This makes it easy for the platform to adapt to myb usienss and produce the data I need and is most helpful for planning and forecasting in collaboration with my CPA and bookkeeper team.

Cons:

Forecasting in the app itself is not a standard feature and way too expensive for small companies who are trying to scale, but literally cannot affor the very function to help us plan for whats on the horizon financially. My CFO/CPA has to do this manually in another spreadsheet with weekly cashflow projections instead. Bummer Could be easy. Also I hate that the mobile version and desktop version of my QBO account don't sync or communicate with each other. Its literally like having two sets of books and not useful. I could delete the app right now and not miss anything and probably avoid giving myself a heart attack by looking at out of date data.

last month

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, Marie! It's awesome to hear that QuickBooks has made your day-to-day tasks so much easier. If you ever need help with your account or have questions, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or chat using the 'Help(?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Denise
Director of Finance in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

QuickBooks Online Ease of Use

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's a love/hate relationship with QBO. I love the functionality and the possibilities of what it can do, but absolutely hate it when there is a question I need an answer to. I have tried for 4 weeks to convert our payroll over to a new QBO Payroll program and have yet to get everything completed. Every time I make a little progress, another question pops up and I have to spend at least 1-2 hours with a rep to get help. Unfortunately, our third-party tech support does not specialize in payroll, so I have no other options but to be at QBO's mercy.

Pros:

It provides an excellent option for payroll processing and federal/state tax reporting. The reports options are great.

Cons:

The customer service is horrible, and answers are confusing once a person does answer to help. After many countless searches and help desk responses that did not provide adequate results, we started using Real World Training's support. They provided a two-day tutorial on all QuickBooks basics and help out on live, real-time sessions as needed.

2 months ago

Thank you for taking a moment to write your review, Denise. It's great hearing that QuickBooks Online and the payroll have been so easy for you all to use! However, we want to be sure you get the help you need, when you need it. If you still have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us using the following link: (https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/prechats/offerings/QBO-CHAT/22817/view). Please also keep in mind that we're available to help through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Eugene
Project Manager in US
Food Production, 2-10 Employees

QuickBooks Online for the win!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall my experience with QuickBooks online has been very positive. The pricing is fair. The system has incredible capability, and keeps all of our financial affairs in order.

Pros:

I don’t think we would be able to run our business without QuickBooks. This software has allowed us to handle all aspects of accounting in-house. The best part is the help section which contains answers to just about any accounting questions we have ever run into.

Cons:

There’s a lot of features we don’t use that seem to be in the way while navigating through the program.

2 months ago

Hello there, and thanks for leaving your review here, Eugene! It's so awesome hearing how well QuickBooks has been working for your small business. That's amazing. If you ever need any help with your account or have questions, please feel free to reach out through the 'Help(?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account and we'd be glad to get you taken care of by phone or chat. All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Molly
President in US
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees

Quickbooks Online Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall it is an excellent product. We choose to use a CPA firm that specializes in QBO so that they could help us with set up and transfer of information. Relying on QBO customer experience can be frustrating including long wait times for someone to answer and then the person who does is searching for the answer to your problem online. Once you become proficient with QBO, the ease and time saving factors are worth the initial frustrations.

Pros:

Ease of use. Your CPA can make changes in real time. Handles payroll, invoicing, accounts receivable, accounts payable. Ease of creating budgets, knowing your cash flow projections, updates in real time with checking accounts, credit card statements, syncs with approved apps like TSheets. App on your phone so you are always connected.

Cons:

Going from Desktop to QBO you will loose some features. But once you streamline and make the change, it is worth it. There are some oddities; for example an expense for gas may show up as meals and entertainment, but you can easily manually change it. When we first switched from Desktop to QBO, QBO could not transfer all information so we had to start from scratch and keep our desktop information - double paying QuickBooks.

Mohammad Ismail
Supply Chain Manager in Saudi Arabia
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2-10 Employees

The Accounting SoftWare for a Medium Business Enterprise

Comments: 5 Stars Excellence

Pros:

1. Quickbook is a Friendly Software and easy to understand and easy to use for daily tasking activities. 2. It Contains PROJECTS thar will help you organized your Contracts and Project undertaken, it will give you the calculation of profits and Earnings, You will determine too your looses on its projects and will help you understand how did you lost for a certain projects. 3. QB helps you to organized your Business Intruments, such as Purchase Order Issuance, Delivery Note issuance, You can make Sales Order Acknowledget for new Orders you received from each Customers. 4. And Since it is an Accounting Software it will help you to Organized almost everything a Big Company needs to records such as making Journal entries, Creating Chart of Accounts, Organizing Products Inventory, Creating Product Entries for Pricing purposes, It will Records the Cost of Sales and Cost of Purchase. 5. For Contracts Services it will help you calculate the Manhour Cost of each Employees reporting to complete thier Jobs in a Certain Contracts or Jobs Undertaken that requires a specific Project Completion. 6. Quick is Superb and Easy to use, and it is also inter-active as if you are talking to live person because it contains an Artificial Intelligence to remind you that a certain transaction had been duplicated for example and when you need to amend something inside the System it will automatically ask you if you wanted to continue & retains attachments in your file, Recurrence Tasks is available too

Cons:

1. Online Traffic only, Needs to restart

Kris
Kris
Office Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

Peak Performance

Comments: Quickbooks Online sets the gold standard when it comes to accounting software. The ability to track all income and expenses, and to be able to produce that data at any moment is critical to any business or organization. As a non-profit, we strive to produce a very specific budget each fiscal year. Quickbooks allows us to know at all times, how well we are following or facilitating that budget (are we sticking to the plan we set out with?). Quickbooks keeps us on track in every, single way, and transparent to our governing board of elders, giving peace of mind to those who donate to our non-profit organization. I have used Quickbooks Online (and prior to when it was available online) for quite some time with the same, or better, level of consistent performance. I don't ever plan to use anything else, and highly recommend Quickbooks Online.

Pros:

I love the look and feel of Quickbooks Online. The program is easy to use and makes sense. I can quickly find the exact place I am seeking because the navigational tools are well-organized whether I am looking for expenses, income, or something very specific. I also love the input formats. Anytime input is involved, there is always a chance for human error. Quickbooks is quick to catch if I have input something incorrectly, or if I have forgotten a field altogether. I am comfortable knowing that I will be aware in the moment if something has not been input correctly, and I can fix it right then.

Cons:

There are some features I just don't use because they do not apply to our organization, so I am not familiar with those.

3 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us here, Kris! It's wonderful hearing that QuickBooks Online has made so many of your day-to-day tasks quick and simple. If you ever need any help with your account, please don't hesitate to reach out by phone or chat using the 'Help (?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of. We appreciate you! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Bryant
Business Owner/Personal Trainer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Makes my job a ton easier

Comments: I like Quickbooks. The company name does make sense... you do everything quickly lol. I haven't had a single issue other than the invoicing problem. I did spend more than enough time with their customer service which was a pain in the butt but the rep was really friendly and helped me get it sorted out. If I could recommend Quickbooks to a new or seasoned business owner, I definitely will! It looks expensive and hard to learn but honestly, it's much easier to navigate than it looks!

Pros:

I was hesitant at first since I didn't want to go the everything electronic route. My wife was doing all of the tax stuff so I just gave her the okay and made the purchase. I now do everything minus invoicing through Quickbooks. Everything is streamlined for me and I realized how much time I was truly losing by doing everything through Excel and calculating by hand. My wow moment was watching my time being cut in half literally by just snapping a photo of a receipt after connecting my bank account then adding details on the purchase... that's it!

Cons:

Now... the invoicing part I'm just not fond of. There was an error with a payment and Quickbooks kept kicking back a payment a client had made. I ended up just going through Paypal Business and setting up my invoices through there and attached my Paypal account to Quickbooks to make things easier on myself. If invoicing was different, I would be 100% with Quickbooks.

Misty
Manager in US

20+ year user of Qucikbooks

Comments: Overall I'm happy with QB's online, we save a lot of time as I mentioned before on data entry. I just don't pout my really compicated clients in the software, I keep them in desktop.

Pros:

I love how quickly the data entry goes in QB's online versus QB's desktop. With rules and auto entries it take the tedious parts of accounting and automates them. I'm able to focus my time on more complicated items that add value to my serives to my clients.

Cons:

It still needs a lot of work on the developement of the software. You are unable ot customize PO's, which is insane to me. It's a little hard to get used to when coming from their sister product desktop. Desktop is so rubust and had very little flaws that I somtimes find myself banging my head gainst a wall, like why?!! Also, the subscription based pricing makes it so you always have ot pay for the software. With desktop I bought it once and none of my clients had to pay for it. Way to make money intuit, now but that money back into the developement of the software!

Digital Marketing Consultant in UK
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Simple and easy to use for the self employed consultant

Comments: I really appreciated how easy it was to invoice my clients via the web based system and the app. Being able to see all your outgoings in one place is so good but that is nothing if you can't get your clients to pay. In particular I liked the app for on the go updates and generally how I could mark an invoice paid or with a quick click send a reminder for payment.

Pros:

What I liked the most was the ability to create invoices 'on the go'. I even sent one invoice to a client, via the app, when I was on a train. Chasing invoices was easy to with a one button follow up option. Being able to have all your data in one place and see what was coming in and what was going out made life very easy. Quickbooks support were really good in helping me overcome some initial issues I had dealing with multiple currencies.

Cons:

Not all bank accounts would link originally to the software so I had to manually upload transactions but after a couple of times doing this, it became just a simple task I did each week until I moved bank accounts. I originally took the basic version of this and had issues with multiple currencies - but support were helpful and explained that to deal with this I'd need the next level up. I chose not to move to the higher version and just converted the costs myself.

CEO in US
Wireless, 11-50 Employees

Efficient Accounting Software

Comments: Highly recommend. Great product that keeps getting better.

Pros:

Really easy to use, automates a number of functions, and provides a comprehensive accounting package for our small business.

Cons:

My background is accounting and sometimes I get the impression that Quickbooks has tried to dumb the software down too much, which makes it harder for me to deal with anything outside the box. Calling in to support can also be really challenging.

Kristen
Owner in US
Photography, 2-10 Employees

Don't Use Quickbooks Checking

Comments: While Quickbooks is a solid booking-keeping service, I'm finding quite a few not-so-great points. 1. They are constantly trying to sell to you. Even when you already have a paid subscription. All you see are Ads and get promotional emails. 2. For those of you considering using Quick Book Checking- Don't do it. It just leads to more frustration than the 1% interest is worth. (Linking an external trusted bank account works just fine). Quickbooks checking sounded like a good idea, because hey.. why not have everything consolidated right? Wrong. First off- You can't send money to people without first upgrading to their Bill Pay option. (A feature that comes free with other business banking accounts) Second- Your debit card gets declined continuously, and getting a hold of customer service is a pain. And when you do, it's hard to understand them, because they don't speak clear English. I was trying to pay invoices- and I couldn't because my card was getting declined. (I had PLENTY of money in there to make these payments) When calling Customer service, after 45 minutes on the phone with them- I had to get switched over to an actual Green Dot Bank representative. Who told me the problem was resolved, and that my card was getting declined for "Protection". Yet... no indication was made letting me know that. Normally other banks send a notification asking if you're attempting to make a transaction...Not this account. They just leave you in the dark. No notifications. No Text Mes

Pros:

Quickbooks is a solid bookkeeping service- I'm finding quite a few not-so-great points. Please see my "Describe your overall experience" comment.

Cons:

The Customer service is seriously lacking. And Quickbooks Checking is terrible.

Owner in US
Music, 2-10 Employees

The Best Accounting Software For Small Businesses!

Comments: Overall I love Quickbooks Online and recommend it to all small business owners that I know! It's been a huge help for my business in getting our accounting organized, without having to hire a book keeper. Invoicing has never been easier, as it keeping track of income and expenses. It's perfect at tax time and helps keep us on track to get as many deductions as possible. It's simply the best of it's class...

Pros:

The interface of Quickbooks Online couldn't be better. It easily links to your bank accounts and starts to understand your accounting categories right away. It's super customizable and the features are in depth and thorough. I love how intuitive (no pun intended) the software is overall. It's also great that it's online so you can login from anywhere, including on an app, to track everything.

Cons:

The only real limitation I can think of with the software, is sometimes weird errors can happen with your balance sheet / income statements. Everything really needs to be exactly dialed in , otherwise errors can happen and throw things off. While this is probably due to human error, for someone like me who is not an accounting expert, this can be frustrating to figure out where things went wrong...