About Rain POS

This all-in-one retail POS brings point-of-sale, eCommerce, and marketing tools together into one system.

Learn more about Rain POS

Pros:

Cons:

Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.

Rain POS ratings

4.3
4.3
4.1
4.2

8.2/10

Rain POS has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 121 user reviews on Capterra.

Sort by

Have you used Rain POS before?

Tee
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

Great System for Small Business

Comments: By going to a cloud based system I am able to keep inventory updated when I am at a trade show or selling product online. The integration with Notions Marketing is a time savor. I no longer have to manually add price, description or photos. Everyone comes over when I place my order with Notions. The ability to download data to excel, make changes then upload it back to Rain is simple and makes mass updates seamless.

Pros:

As a small business it is difficult to manage technology without an IT Department. I wanted to take my business online and struggled to find a solution that was affordable, easy to use and had good customer support. RAIN not only met my goals but exceeded them. Their customer support is what sets them ahead of their competition.

Cons:

There are a couple of features I wish they would improve on. The most important to me are Customer Rewards. It doesn't allow online orders to use their rewards and the accrued reward is a dollar amount they can spend when I need it to be a % off.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online Advanced, Clover and Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: I wanted to take my products online with ease.

Switched From: QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: They offered a product that met both my retail instore POS needs but also got my business online without much effort. The implementation came with a web design, importing existing data from my old system and was most affordable for a business of my size.

Claudia
Owner in Canada

Love Rain POS

Comments: They have been fantastic. From set up until current use, they have always been available to help, and have great resources built into their software to help out with simpler things.

Pros:

Rain POS has allowed us to integrate our eCommerce and in store retail in a way that no other company has been able to do. It has been so easy to learn how to use it, and it is very in depth. It is easy for me to change things on the website, and if there is something I can't do, their customer service team is always quick to help.

Cons:

Some features need to be changed buy the software team, I can't change them myself.

Alternatives Considered: Square Point of Sale, BigCommerce and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: We were not able to use Shopkeep with our online store, so controlling inventory was quite difficult.

Switched From: ShopKeeper Job Control

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: They had a website umbrella built specifically for our type of store. We are able to sell things in a way that no other website/POS provider would allow us to do.

Laura
Co-Owner in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Rain POS for Yarn Stores

Comments: No point of sale system is perfect. But we are happy with the functionality and effectiveness of Rain. The fact that Rain is continually improving and updating their system has only increased our satisfaction over the years.

Pros:

We have used Rain POS (Like Sew) for over five years and are very satisfied with it. We love that our website (recently upgraded by Rain) integrates with our POS, keeping our inventory numbers accurate. The Point of Sale is very user friendly. Reporting is decent. The website is simple to update.

Cons:

While there are sometimes reporting issues or technical issues, Rain has an easy process in place to report problems online or by phone, and they are generally responsive in a timely manner. Rain also has a method to make suggestions on how to change or update the POS/website. I appreciate that they are willing to take our suggestions! I do wish there was a report for Items Received; it would be nice to be able to create custom reports. The only major issue we have with Rain is when the system crashes - either because our internet goes out (in which case we are able to use our iPads on cellular to ring up customers) or because Rain goes down. Luckily, this is very rare! And when it's Rain's issue, it is usually remedied quickly. Finally, it would be great if Rain integrated with Sage Accounting software. We have to manually transfer data from Rain's reports into Sage Accounting. This is time consuming.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: We wanted to integrate our website and our point of sale system.

Travis
Music, 2-10 Employees

Excellent for Music Stores!

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros:

We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons:

One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

Alternatives Considered: Square Point of Sale and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: AIMsi was very antiquated and not user friendly. Support was spotty and typically condescending. At the time there was no seamless website integration and we were tied to licenses on desktop machines. That is not very useful when we're on the road at a school and need to access our POS.

Switched From: AIM

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: Overall features: website/online platform integration, ease of use, extensive initial training and mobile friendly platform.

Kim
Owner in Canada
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!

Comments: Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros:

I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons:

We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

Max
Manager in US
Music, 11-50 Employees

Great for a music shop like us. Room for improvement but they're working on it

Comments: Anyone who has migrated from one system to another knows how time-intensive and frustrating the whole process can be. RAIN's support team made the onboarding experience as painless as possible. Their support has continued long after the initial onboarding and I feel very confident in their ability to help us whenever we hit a roadblock and need help. It's also encouraging to see their development team constantly fixing bugs and rolling out new features. They are not the kind of company to rest on their laurels.

Pros:

RAIN lives in the cloud and being able to access our POS from any device is a huge advantage over the POSs we were using before. The Rent-To-Own module helped simplify a very important part of our business. Integrating with REVERB has helped extend our e-commerce reach across the country. The user interface is clean and user-friendly; just what you'd expect from a modern cloud-based platform.

Cons:

The marketing platform did not meet our expectations. The email marketing in particular is not up to what I would consider industry standard in terms of the template builder, contact management, scheduled emails, segmented lists, and analytics. We have since dropped that add-on and went with ActiveCampaign which is light years ahead.

Alternatives Considered: AIM and Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: The former product was not great.

Roger
Music, 2-10 Employees

Switched to Rain from Lightspeed

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros:

Integrated Marketing Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons:

Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal. Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen. In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input. Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts. Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted. Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Alternatives Considered: Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: Price at first - Lightspeed wanted us to pay 40% MORE than we did previously and provide us less.

Switched From: Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: Price, integrated marketing features and the ability to "push" items to Reverb.com.

Sam
Tech Manager and Chief Quilter in Canada
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

Like Sew POS Review

Comments: Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros:

We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons:

It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

Alternatives Considered: POSIM

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: WIndward was an excellent ERP level system with integrated accounting, however, it was technically complex, did not integrate easily to a web site, would have cost a significant amount to integrate web and shop data for sales and inventory management, and incurred significant annual/recurring maintenance charges

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: Ease of use, simplicity of architecture, direct web integration and an offering specifically tailored to the sewing/quilting industry

Kim

User Friendly

Pros:

Customer support. Software is easy to understand after basic lessons.

Cons:

Something that seems would be an easy fix, never gets fixed. Example: Having the capability of being able to put "coming soon" or "pre-order now" on items that can go into our POS system, but because of containers stuck in the LA harbor, we just don't have items. We don't want our customers to think we can never get these items in (especially high ticket items like machines - they will go shop someplace else)

Alternatives Considered: Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: Wanted both stores on the same system.

Switched From: POSIM

Reeze
CEO/Designer in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business.

Comments: It was easy to use

Pros:

It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons:

I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

James
Director in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Really awesome features with some minor bugs

Comments: Tech support has helped us so many times. First, they helped us figure out some of the features that we were not completely certain how to use. Then, when we encountered bugs, another quick call to Support and they had us back up and running within no time. I just wish that the program was not dependent on the internet. We’ve had a few times where the internet went out and we were not able to conduct business. This is not good, but it hasn’t happened too often, just enough to be mildly irritating.

Pros:

This program is so easy to use, even for those who are not technologically literate. While we do not use all of the features, such as the rental option, we are really happy with the program. The fact that everything is stored in the cloud helps us when we are not in the store, such as with trunk shows. The tech support has been so helpful when we experienced bugs in the software, and they were very knowledgeable of the product. I have also found the SEO option of Rain, and we intend to utilize it to its fullest extent to promote our business and get our name out there.

Cons:

There have been a few bugs in the software, but nothing that a quick call to support couldn’t fix. One thing that I did not like was when the internet went out. The fact that everything was based on the internet meant that we couldn’t use the cash register. This led to a loss of sales. Nothing too major, but it’s still significant. There should be a backup or a way to use the register when there is no internet connection. More traditional POS systems allow for use without internet, but for inventory reasons, something like Rain is required. Hopefully, they’ll release a version that stores a temporary backup on your system that updates the inventory once the internet is back up and running.

Brenda

Building my RAIN site

Comments: I really LOVED the RAIN POS system. Unfortunately, my business went thru some major changes in 2019 leading up to 2020, so I had to disengage it from my site. If you are doing enough daily sales in a brick & mortar store, or even in a traveling store situation, it's a GREAT addition to your website. For me cost/value ratio wasn't efffective anymore.

Pros:

I loved the fact that setting up a whole new website platform was done with another human on the other end of the telephone that actually cared, listened and created a useable website for my customers. Step-by-step instruction helped me, an average end user, be able to manage a highly professional looking website. The integration of product sku codes, inventory, customer tracking, re-order points, everything was top notch and an added value for the cost.

Cons:

I would like to be able to take custom orders, invoice the customer, and have the customer be able to make payments/purchases with that option. The PayPal platform fills this gap for me, but I would prefer to use the RAIN payment system as it is more cost effective.

Lisa
Retail, 2-10 Employees

LikeSew works for my retail quilt shop

Comments: The main reason I implemented the POS option was to help me with inventory control. Prior to using POS I didn't know how much inventory was in stock and therefore I was receiving orders for inventory that I didn't have.

Pros:

I think the customer service is very good. Recently I wanted my homepage to be updated and revamped. They worked very quickly and efficiently with me to get give it a new look and within a few days I had a website looks very modern and professional. Also, I really like the marketing package. I used the POS for several years before adding the marketing feature. I like the automatic emails that it sends to my customers every week. Also, My website is easier to use from a cell phone now. It's worth paying the extra money for each month.

Cons:

I do not like the way the inventory receiving works. It is supposed to be integrated with some of my vendors but doesn't seem to be complete or accurate. Also, I really wish that the email marketing was easier to use and more robust.

Jeremy
Owner, COO in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

The POS system that I was looking for.

Comments: I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions. I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa. So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades. So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros:

Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons:

There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Marie
Arts & Crafts, 11-50 Employees

Great product

Comments: Inventory management

Pros:

Built in videos and the ability to view both of my stores inventory

Cons:

I’d love if it worked with Comment Sold and Ship Station

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: They closed

Switched From: TRS

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: Web based

Ande
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Our thoughts

Comments: All sales were handwritten, on invoices and then transcribed to a database/ excel sheet for closing out a month; this has made this so streamlined.

Pros:

The program is quite intuitive thus making it relatively easy to use. I like the fact that it is cloud based so we can add another register as needed during very busy times. Also the integration between the website and the POS is great for product inventory. General ease of taking physical inventory.

Cons:

There are a number of small glitches - ways to accomplish tasks that are not thought all the way through. I get a listing of UPCs from a vendor with my new order of earrings, many are duplicates that we have had. We upload the entire list, the system is not able to recognize duplicates and combine them just keeps adding the new number making physical inventory a nightmare. Customer name search is an "includes" function instead of a "starts with" so an Andy pulls up Sandy, Candy & every Anderson, i no particular order.

Andrea
Sales Associate in US

Tons of features packed into one POS system, great customer support.

Pros:

Rain has tons of features, and for a music store that sells, rents, and repairs instruments, and also does lessons, there are a lot of things we need software for. With Rain, we can do most of it in one place, whereas in the past, we've had to have a system for this, something different for this, and something different for that also. It's a huge time saver and much less confusing to be able to do everything we need to do in one place. And the website is clean and easy to customize. Customer service is super easy to get in touch with and great to work with.

Cons:

There are still a few bugs in this software. While the customer support guys are good about listening and working on fixes, there are still some small annoying things. For instance, when you delete a product from the Categories page, it does not direct you back to the Categories page, but rather the Products page. There's also not an easy way to move products into different categories in bulk. You either have to open each product manually, or you have to export the info to a spreadsheet.

Molly
Textiles, Self Employed

Rain/LikeSew vs GoDaddy

Comments: I am glad I took the plunge, put in the work, with the help of friends, and moved the shop over to Rain/LikeSew this past summer. It was worth the hard work and effort. I can now offer my customers specials and appreciation programs, keep up with inventory and manage files more efficiently.

Pros:

LikeSew is more precise at managing my inventory and handling the day-to-day business of running my fabric store than GoDaddy ever was. I now know exactly how much inventory I have on hand and it's value and what categories it falls into.

Cons:

There could be some improvements in the email marketing program and the inventory receipt areas.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: I had no control over inventory management and it was time to renew my GoDaddy products.

Switched From: Square Point of Sale and GoDaddy Website Builder

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: I had used Shopify at a friends business and I didn't like it.

Bonita
owner in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Best software for quilting shops.

Comments: Positive all the way. Solutions are always there when we come up with something new or unique to sell. It really helps guide the way I do business.

Pros:

Rain Pos is dependable, well priced with instantaneous software help. The company LISTENS to their clients, I can't emphasize this enough. My POS is with me everywhere, at the doctor, on vacation, in bed at night.

Cons:

I would like an end of day report on products loaded into the system.

Alternatives Considered: POSIM

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: TRS was retiring their dos system.

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: It was designed for quilting. They understand all of the pins and needles.

Miles
manager in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

The future of how small businesses survive

Comments: Using this system allows you to provide a customer experience on par with, or even better than, what is expected from a successful business in the 21st.

Pros:

Feature laden! and they are still developing more music store specific features! One customer data base, one inventory database. Integrated POS system, integrated Wed Store, integrated repairs system. Then add on: integrated short term rentals, rent to own with auto pay, layaway, email marketing abilities, gift card ability, coupon ability, push products to Reverb ability, create and save quotes under a customer name, track store account balances and apply to transactions, purchasing lists by vendor populated with qty triggered items and with and easy receiving and item costs updating. Outstandingly responsive customer service!

Cons:

Still waiting on the private lesson feature =( But it is in development and it sounds like it will be finished Spring of 2018. Would be great to see invoicing against a quote so I could do school business with schools requiring a PO number on an invoice for payment.

Nick
owner in US
Automotive, 11-50 Employees

Great POS, Horrible customer service support.

Pros:

Easy to use and has great functionality. Could have a little bit more functionality than it has to make it great. However they need more people to fix bugs and enact on others suggestions to develop the product further. Customer Support is a joke!

Cons:

Customer Support is a joke! I contacted support about a glitch. I told them to call me because I broke my wrist and easier to explain than typing it out. They refused to call me as if their time was more valuable in R&D than fixing bugs. I cant type with a broken wrist. All this is one fingered.

Mary Virginia

Love this system!

Comments: I can get the reports I need and want. Tech support is wonderful. They are constantly updating and improving the software.

Pros:

Product is very easy to use. It's nice that I can put items on my website right from the product page. Web page is easy to edit.

Cons:

I wish there were more yarn and knitting notions vendors integrated into the system.

Alternatives Considered: Lightspeed Golf

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: The reps presented the information well. They answered any question I had and were willing to show me on a demo. The nicest people work here.

Carolyn
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

very good company to work with

Comments: I love this company. I've been with them from their initial start in our field of music schools, and they have developed very quickly. They still have a feel of a small company, and I feel like if I need an aspect or tool developed, I have a pretty good chance of being heard and considered.

Pros:

The comprehensive nature of having a website, an online store, a point of sale terminal, rental/rent to own terminal makes this a great foundational tool to work with.

Cons:

I love the software, but calling customer support, I often get people who don't seem to enjoy helping me. I've had at least 2-3 calls to different technicians ag in a row where I just felt bad for even calling.

Tim
Retail, 2-10 Employees

It works, but is not optimal for a Pet food store

Comments: No business problems are being solved. it is creating more than it is solving

Pros:

ease of access. I like being able to use the software anywhere.

Cons:

the reporting features are not very helpful. also the bugs and anomalies that we experience on a weekly basis are annoying.

Alternatives Considered: PetShopPro, 360Pet POS and Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS: desire to move to a cloud based platform.

Switched From: CashFootprint Point-of-Sale

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS: price

Todd
Retail, 2-10 Employees

User friendly POS/Website for a small business.

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros:

Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons:

Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.