• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.2 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.3 /5

About Rain POS

Enter information once and your POS, website, and mobile site update in real time. Unlimited registers, products, and customer service.

Learn more about Rain POS

Holly V.
owner/operator
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-17

"Disappointed"

Comments: It was a rough year and a half trying to operate a business with that many mistakes from their side.

Pros: I liked that the website and the inventory were combined. That people could see in real time what we had in stock and purchase online. That was nice and was one of the main features of why we went with Rain originally.

Cons: We spent a lot of time and money on Rain POS. It was the first online computer software company we ever used for point of sale. I spent an entire year in 2017 logging our entire inventory, coming up with pricing and pictures and history on every item. We went live in 2018 and by April 2019 we were done with the contract side and we closed out the point of sale side by the end of that year. Their inconsistences within the contract module were too high. And every time we called in to tech support, all they could tell us what that there was a "glitch" in the system and they couldn't fix it within a timely manner. I really felt like I was losing the trust of my customers because of Rain's mistakes.

by Rain Retail Software on 2020-12-09

Holly, thank you for taking time to share your experience with our POS software. Here at Rain, our main objective is helping small businesses like yours succeed, so the fact that you found us to be detrimental to your store is disheartening. We've been busy in the 12 months since you cancelled and have greatly improved our rent-to-own module. If you like, please contact us to see those enhancements.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-17
Bonita M.
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-19

"Best software for quilting shops."

Comments: Positive all the way. Solutions are always there when we come up with something new or unique to sell. It really helps guide the way I do business.

Pros: Rain Pos is dependable, well priced with instantaneous software help. The company LISTENS to their clients, I can't emphasize this enough. My POS is with me everywhere, at the doctor, on vacation, in bed at night.

Cons: I would like an end of day report on products loaded into the system.

• Reviewed on 2021-03-19
Sam G.
Tech Manager and Chief Quilter
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-30

"Like Sew POS Review"

Comments: Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros: We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons: It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

• Reviewed on 2020-01-30
Allen B.
Webmaster/Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017-02-15

"A small business solution that is a head of the curve"

Comments: We searched for over 3 years for an new point of sale that would fit our needs and allow us to expand in the future. It was important to have a seamless integration of our brick and mortar location and our online store. Rain really shines above all the other options with more functionality at an affordable price. This has allowed us to grow our online presence tremendously to help keep up with the ever growing online sales market. The continued software updates and helpful customer support makes for a personal and dedicated feel to helping our business thrive. We have recommend it to several other businesses and they have been thrilled as well. Thanks Rain!

Pros: Online and Brick and Mortar integration, extensive customer tracking, easy to customize website, efficient product ordering/receiving system

Cons: Updates can be slow to release, lacks a little in the reporting functionality

Pheobe K.
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-16

"An Outstanding POS System"

Comments: I am able to work proficiently with everything except learning how to take my inventory and have it imported to QuickBooks.

Pros: I am able to input inventory into the system in a timely manner.

Cons: I wish Rain Retail system would import my inventory over to QuickBooks. I have to input inventories in the system twice.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-16
Miles S.
manager
  • Reviewed on 2017-02-15

"Powerful, complete lifestyle upgrade for our business"

Comments: Going from shopkeep (easy to use, not sophisticated enough for us as a music store) to RAIN was a challenge at first (uploading photos and product data, designing new site content, more product data entry, training staff in new roles) but, now that we are a few months in, we are seeing customers benefit from our work and we know we are going in the right direction.
RAIN is on the way to becoming the One Ring That Rules Them All of software that helps small retailers play on the same field as national chains.
Actual seamless pulling in of repair data to the transaction screen, one product data base for your stores and your website store, actual seamless pulling in of layaway payments and special orders to the transaction screen, easily see who is selling what and where. Actual real effective help with re-order purchasing has helped us control spending in a very noticeable way. Time is saved because we only have to go through product order line items one time , then when it arrives, ONE click updates the cost for that instance and the count received.

Transfer tracking that takes almost no time to use.

Pros: integration

Cons: still developing some features

Mark B.
  • Reviewed on 2017-02-21

"Great user friendly POS"

Comments: We had a nightmare with our old POS system and had to pretty much start all over with Rain. We are a local business but with tons of inventory. Over 5000 different piece of merchandise. So we were not looking forward to adding all those items again. But Rains interface makes it very easy, anyone can do it. The interface is laid out very simply and everything is right there without having to scroll through pages and pages to find an option you want. Features like repairs and rentals are also a big plus. Really the only negative thing I can say is the since it's cloud based you better have good internet or you will lose your register if you lose internet. But that's not Rains fault. Just make sure you have a reliable internet connection or a backup 4G method since you can run the POS from any phone or tablet. We have had the software for a little less than a year and although we are still adding products from our previous software crash with another company, we are enjoying the new fresh look and feature packed software provided by Rain.

Pros: Tons of features and easy to use.

Cons: To print a receipt there are too many steps. Wish it was easier or less time consuming.

• Reviewed on 2017-02-21
Tawni Y.
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-21

"Good"

Comments: For the most part, it's pretty good. Hope they continue to develop better reporting capabilities. Some quirks along the way - some get fixed, some they can't explain.

Pros: I like that it integrates inventory between our point of sale and our website. We also like being able to access customers' purchase history.

Cons: Bare bones reporting, i.e. for sales data. Many reports offer zero or very few "drill down" options for specifics.

• Reviewed on 2020-01-21
Peter V.
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-21

"Seamless Migration from Older POS System"

Pros: We went with RAIN for a number of reasons. Integration with our website, and in turn, Reverb.com was very important to us. We also liked RAIN's ability to migrate from our antiquated POS so that we had a relatively easy transition. Lastly, being a cloud based system allows our entire staff to work on the system from anywhere.

Cons: At first (about 12 months ago) RAIN was a bit clunky. Navigating was slow, they didn't allow enough pictures for our website, and the search function was not always effective. Also the Reverb integration had growing pains. The thing about RAIN is that they are constantly improving and correcting issues based on their customer's (ours) feedback. At this point the Reverb integration and search functions work perfectly and they now allow unlimited pics on each listing.

• Reviewed on 2018-05-21
Barbara C.
Retail, Self Employed

"Rain software"

Comments: Now I don't have to physically go and check on inventory, the report tells me what needs to be ordered.

Pros: I love the ease of using it, the reports help out so much. Looking up customers history is a breeze.

Cons: I had trouble with my labels in the printing mode. I use a different size of label than they have on file. Not able to pick my own expatriation date on coupons or add new coupons.

Brian M.
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-07-16

"Very functional adaptive website at a competitive price"

Pros: Easy plug and play design allows for unlimited updates and edits. Add the file and picture storage for customer access and this all in one service is a great solution for small businesses.

Cons: Limited blog post functionality with subscription options, some bugs in the system that have yet to be resolved.

• Reviewed on 2018-07-16
Jana A.
shop owner
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018-08-08

"expanding, they listen to ideas and constantly make improvements"

Pros: its comprehensive. online inventory and instore inventory combined...awesome. very intuitive, very good tutorials and help functions.

Cons: none, I like the constant improvements. the only issue is the system randomly converts the default printer between the receipt printer and the label printer.

• Reviewed on 2018-08-08
Valerie S.

"Great!"

Pros: Everyone is always very helpful with questions I have on the software. A great Company to be doing business with!

Cons: It is hard to get pictures the right sizes for site. I make them the size that I have been told and when putting them on the website they are huge.

Skye B.
marketing
  • Reviewed on 2017-07-13

"Hands down the worst customer service"

Comments: My last conversation with them included telling me that they have far too many customers to be able to look into every single error and that the only way they would look into an error is if I can replicate it for them. Let me repeat that: Only if their customer, generally non-I.T. trained people, can figure out what went wrong in their faulty system AND replicate it for them, will they take the time to see if I.T. errors need to be fixed. He literally told me that Rep is innocent until proven guilty. Customer service at its finest. Let that sink in.

Cons: As an advanced user of similar products, things as simple as field mapping is beyond their capabilities. For example, the receipts our customer's receive don't even break out the shipping and taxes, even though there are fields for it. Instead, they just see zeros. If this is too much for them to handle, imagine what else is. We've been waiting for them to fix that for close to a year now.

• Reviewed on 2017-07-13
Chris L.
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-29

"My initial experience was great. Now that I'm into year 2, not so great. No consistency in data."

Comments: The ability to link my inventory to my website.

Pros: I like the link between my inventory and the website. The program is somewhat intuitive so the ease of training staff is great.

Cons: Every time there is an update less of my product is picked up by my scanner. Moda inventory is easy than not available; no consistency. There is no easy way other than a bulk download to scan through products and update or delete.

• Reviewed on 2018-05-29
Annette B.
  • Reviewed on 2017-02-23

"Rain Point of Sale review from the Scuba Diving Industry"

Comments: We switched to Rain POS 2.5 years ago. Customer service has been wonderful. There are some unique parts to our industry that are addressed with this tool, such as a rental program. We specifically like that the POS and Website are all on the same platform and are easy to update by us. This allows us to easily make changes to our on line shopping tool as well as marketing tools. We would highly recommend this for small to medium size businesses.

• Reviewed on 2017-02-23
Sherry C.
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-26

"Frustrating"

Comments: Misrepresentation of features and merchant pricing.

Pros: Integrated web and store inventory. Adding items once due to integration of web and physical store.

Cons: Cannot create unique reports.
No weekend support.
Lack of urgency by support.
No debit pin pad offered

• Reviewed on 2017-05-26
Roger N.
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-07

"Switched to Rain from Lightspeed"

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros: Integrated Marketing
Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account
Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons: Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal.
Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen.
In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input.
Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts.
Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted.
Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Travis T.
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-19

"Excellent for Music Stores!"

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros: We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons: One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

• Reviewed on 2020-12-19
Kim S.
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-17

"Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!"

Comments: Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros: I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons: We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

• Reviewed on 2020-12-17
Steven C.
Vice President

"Great POS"

Comments: We have been with Rain POS from the beginning and the improvements have been great. Customer service is very good. Very pleased overall.

Pros: Very easy to use and get employees up to speed quickly. Lots of features to improve sales and inventory control.

Cons: All the features can be a bit overwhelming at first but if you start with the basics, its easy to add additional features as you go along.

Chris D.
Sales Manager
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-04

"A lifesaver during COVID-19"

Comments: Relatively easy to implement and the support staff helped with all the snags along the way.

Pros: Rain and the integration with Reverb was the number one factor in our ability to stay in business in 2020 and going forward.

Cons: Some updates can be slow to roll out and these can be on critical issues.

• Reviewed on 2021-05-04
Daniel E.
Owner/Manager
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-09

"Great at some things, not great at other things"

Comments: Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros: integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons: Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

• Reviewed on 2020-12-09
Jennifer T.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-10

"Review"

Pros: Ease of use and customer service are absolutely superb.

Cons: Template choice for email marketing would really be nice

• Reviewed on 2021-05-10
Roxanne H.
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-16

"Ease of Use"

Comments: The team at Rain are very responsive and helpful when I reach out.

Pros: As a not so tech savvy person, I found this software easy to learn and teach. I love the walk-thru education option and have used it many times.

Cons: Since I haven't been using it to its fullest extent, I can't really say that there is anything that I don't like about it.

• Reviewed on 2021-03-16