15 years helping Canadian businesses

PracticePanther Legal Software Reviews

About PracticePanther Legal Software

Mobile friendly and secure legal software that's easy to learn and use. Save time. Grow your firm. Go paperless. Work from anywhere.

Learn more about PracticePanther Legal Software

Pros:

Offers the integration and ease of use needed for a small business, all of the essentials for streamlining tasks so that duplication of efforts is minimized.

Cons:

Switching from our old software to Panther was very difficult. Panther was not able to migrate over our documents from the old software, but rather we did a data dump to an external searchable file.

PracticePanther Legal Software ratings

4.5

8.8/10

PracticePanther Legal Software has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 502 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PracticePanther Legal Software before?

Scott M.
Scott M.
Lawyer in US

Amazing program!

Comments: I bought this program when I first opened my practice about 2.5 years ago. I knew going into my own firm that I wanted a comprehensive client management tool. After spending hours online reviewing various programs, I decided to give the 30-day free trial a shot. I think I purchased the monthly subscription immediately after starting to use the program. Since that time, I have built on my knowledge, incorporating the MailChimp and QBO features first, then started learning how to streamline my document preparation through the template feature. What would have previously taken me multiple hours a week to manage, now takes minutes.

Pros:

PracticePanther is intuitive and very user friendly. It has a ton of features that expedite minuscule tasks and free up admin time. It syncs with all my favorite resources, like QBO, MailChimp, and Box, making communication with clients a lot easier and keeps routine mailings operational. If you use a lot of form templates, the template builder is a major time saver and cuts down on user error and oversights. I use this program every day in my law office and am very grateful for how easy it is. Even better, the customer support team is phenomenal. I rarely have any issues with the program (it is easy to use), but when I run into something I need help with, a quick message to the PP team is responded to within minutes and the problem is solved or at a minimum I am given an update and expected time of completion. I couldn't recommend this program more to a solo or small legal practice.

Cons:

Nothing, the team is constantly updating its software and programs that it connects to. They provide online videos to help and I frequently learn of new ways to use the program from regular updates by the team.

5 years ago

Thank you so much Scott for the extra kind feedback!

James
Principal in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great practice management software. The only short-fall is that it doesn't allow auto future billing

Comments: PracticePanther is a great platform and you should definitely give it a good try during a free trial period.
It also has Rules of Court deadline figuring if you're a Civil firm.
PP has great integration with QuickBooks on-line.
You can print checks directly from PP, or QB online to pay other legal vendors (Chiros, etc.)

Pros:

Price - either $59/mo or $49/mo if paid the year in full. Fee to bill clients on-line: $.20 per transaction plus 1.95% Workflow customizable - Yes, you can customize the workflow on different case-types. Activity Log - easy access history. Create Contact on the fly as creating matter - easy to create a Contact during the process of creating a matter. Intake form for new clients - Yes, can put a link on your website so new clients can fill-out a new client form, and that info will auto fill into the client's PP account. Time tracking timers - you can have multiple different timers open and running at the same time and assign them. Mobile App - there is no mobile App, but the site is mobile optimized. E-file integration - there is No e-file integration. Color assignments - there are up to 6 colors that you can assign to parties & roles. Task customizable - Yes, you can customize task flows. Easy to create and merge documents - Yes, it's very easy to create and merge documents with the program. PDF-auto convert - No, it cannot auto PDF convert a document. Create documents that can merged - Yes. This program makes it easy to create documents that can be merged. Support - Yes, support seems to be free. Notify client when upload a document - Yes, you can notify a client a document gets uploaded that you want them to review or be aware of. Email syncing - very good syncing with Gmail and Outlook. Emails linked to a matter - Yes. Easy to link emails to a matter. Client Portal - Yes.

Cons:

The only thing that kept me from staying with PracticePanther, is that MyCase allows you to be able to set future billing to go out to a client(s) and forget it. PracticePanther has a bit of a 'workaround' if you get the client's Visa/Debit card on file, but many times clients are uneasy giving you their card number. With Criminal Defense clients that need to make monthly (or future) payments on a retainer amount, MyCase allows you to set-up future dates where a client will be emailed a bill, which they can tap on a button and pay on-line. This is the main thing that made me go with MyCase. But if not for that, I would have stayed with either PracticePanther or Smokeball. Smokeball had/has the slickest software for being able to send emails from (either) Outlook or Gmail, and a small window at the bottom allows you to connect that email to a matter. Smokeball's software also made/makes it very easy to sync a Word document with a Client/Matter.

Alternatives Considered: MyCase and Smokeball

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: I ended up going with MyCase because it has the auto future filling of clients. But if MC didn't have that, I would have gone with PracticePanther or Smokeball.

Tabatha
Director of Operations in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Practice Panther is Perfect for Small/Medium Law Firms

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of use. The platform is user friendly and we love that it is integrated with LeadDocket.

Cons:

There isn't anything that I really dislike.

Alternatives Considered: Filevine and Amicus Attorney

Reasons for Choosing PracticePanther Legal Software: Integration with other products and more capabilities

Switched From: PCLaw

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: We liked the look of the platform and ease of use. It is very easy to navigate.

Danielle
Managing Partner in US

Loved it at first, disappointed after 6 months

Comments: I purchased PracticePanther about 6 months ago, and I was initially very happy with it. I hadn't used a practice management software before, so it felt pretty life-changing. The platform felt intuitive and user-friendly, and it simplified everything from time tracking to billing. However, after 6 months of use (and data loss), I have become increasingly frustrated with PP and have finally made the (costly and inconvenient) decision to switch to Clio. There have been a lot of glitches with the platform and things that don't work intuitively. But the most frustrating and costly glitch occurred when I downgraded my plan to the "middle" plan, and it somehow deleted all the custom rates I had set for each matter. No one at PP could figure out why this happened or how to undo it, so I spent half a day re-reviewing engagement agreements, and re-creating new matter rates -- in addition to spending an hour or so on the phone with PP customer service and sending emails explaining the issue (and didn't even get a response). The "solution" PP offered was to upgrade me back to the higher level for one month (about a $30 value)! That provided absolutely zero benefit to me (I downgraded because I didn't need the features from the highest plan). The amount of money I've lost using PP has been in the thousands! I've switched to Clio now, which seems better so far.

Pros:

That it made time tracking and billing easy

Cons:

Too many glitches in the software that caused serious issues with my pricing and billing

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: The interface seemed more intuitive and seemed more geared toward transactional law (rather than litigation)

4 years ago

Hi Danielle. We appreciate your honest feedback on PracticePanther and are using it to better support our customers going forward. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our plan downgrade experience. Our engineering and support teams are working hard to address this issue so this doesn't happen again. If you need any help exporting your data, please feel free to reach out to us. We want to make what is left of your experience with us as easy and smooth as possible. I wish you the best of luck and want you to know that should you ever be willing to try us again, we'll do our best to make it a world-class experience.

Jamie
Senior Paralegal in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

PracticePanther is great for Law Firms!

Comments: We have been using it for a few years now and it has really streamlined a lot of our client management and billing and made it easy to function day to day.

Pros:

It is an easy to use software that makes client management and billing easier. I like the simplistic design/look of it and ease of use. It is very intuitive and there are multiple ways to go about accomplishing any task.

Cons:

I don't really have any "cons" to list. I really can't think of any.

Brenda
Legal Assistant in US

Love PracticePanther

Comments: This software has saved us time on the tasks that would take a long time like creating letters or pleadings as they are automated now. Since the information pulls from the fields there is also a very low risk for typing errors.

Pros:

Super easy to use! We love that we can create custom fields for a contact or matter and have really enjoyed the automation portion of the software. The templates are easy to create and automatically pull the information from the contact and matter sections that we need.

Cons:

Under Matter, instead of editing the whole section, it would be nice if I could hoover over the field I only need to update. I also wish I could highlight text in the matter or notes section. I create multiple matters under one client and some of the information in the fields is always the same. It would be nice if I could select an option so any time I create a new matter for that client, the information in the matter auto fills for any new case going forward.

Alternatives Considered: CosmoLex, Smokeball, Tabs3 and Clio

Reasons for Choosing PracticePanther Legal Software: Had to upgrade every so often and had to log onto our server to use. With PracticePanther, I log in from anywhere.

Switched From: Tabs3

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: Price and ease of use

LaJoyce
Sole Practitioner in US

Long Term PracticePanther User

Comments: It has been a wonderful experience.

Pros:

I've been a PracticePanther user for four years now. The most important factor in my selecting PracticePanther was the ease of use. With my prior software, I had to hire independent contractors and pay for "maintenance agreements" just to have access to the help desk. With PracticePanther, their support team can assist. More important, they have videos that will walk you through the process of setting up the various systems and integrations. Finally, I love the integrations. PracticePanther integrates with Microsoft Office, Box, Dropbox and Quickbooks. Your information stays in it's original locate with seamless access from PracticePanther.

Cons:

Initially, there was a big push to produce new features. I'm not seeing new features coming out as frequently. However, I would note the quality of the new features, e.g., workflows with conditional logic and e-signatures.

Brad
Brad
Owner in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Best in class legal software

Pros:

PracticePanther is a 360 solution for your law firm. Its built on a robust API that allows you to connect to other tools to increase your productivity.

Cons:

Similar to Clio, and other competitors, there is simply a lack of certain features, but the team is eager to learn of our needs and works to implement updates as quickly as possible.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: PracticePanther is forward thinking and Clio seems to operate in a more defensive, retroactive manner.

Jamilex
Paralegal in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Practice Panther works well for case management

Comments: It was a good software to use in the time that I used it.

Pros:

I liked how it had all the necessary features for personal injury cases

Cons:

I wish it would have been more simple to use.

Sofia
Sofia
Director & Principal Lawyer in Australia
Legal Services

A well designed CRM and so far, we cannot be happier with the product

Comments: Part of M Legal's mission is to stay innovative. Practice Panther (PP) as a case relationship management (CRM) tool has redesigned how the firm works overall. The user experience from the moment a client logs onto our website, uses the embedded intake form, to create a client profile to PP is seamless. This is just one of the time-saving tools we have discovered. This automated way of working and being able to integrate systems has forced M Legal to rethink how we work and more importantly, how to we can simplify our working processes. This has been a real game-changer for the business. While many of us worked with CRMs in the past, most of them were clunky and stand-alone systems that could not work with other applications or software. PP has made managing clients much easier, where our lawyers are in control from the moment a case is initiated, all the way through to billing clients. This has also given a level of transparency across the practice as lawyers can pick up any file from where the last person left off and delegate their work during absences. This transparency was a key selling point for us as we believe it is a core component of running an effective law firm.

Pros:

The user experience from the moment a client logs onto our website, uses the embedded intake form, to create a client profile to PP is seamless. This is just one of the time-saving tools we have discovered. This automated way of working and being able to integrate systems has forced M Legal to rethink how we work and more importantly, how to we can simplify our working processes. While many of us worked with CRMs in the past, most of them were clunky and stand-alone systems that could not work with other applications or software. PP has made managing clients much easier, where our lawyers are in control from the moment a case is initiated, all the way through to billing clients. We have experienced our fair share of poor technical support teams when using other software programs. With PP, despite the time differences between Miami and Sydney, their technical support team are always available, whether it is through the chat portal, email or by phone. Each technical person is professional, knowledgeable and continues to take care of your matter until it is resolved. Further, they always have something new to teach you about the PP system on each call. I cannot express how impressed we are, with what we consider as stellar service from this tech support team.

Cons:

Naturally, a product such as this is not going to have universal application across all legal fields. I would say that in the immigration space the status of a case is really important, so having a status bar that is customisable would be a feature that could be improved. Also, a lot of our data from clients are taken from in-take forms - we require intake forms that are easier to build and that have the capability of storing more information. While these are work in progress type issues, this certainly does not take away from PP's product, which we believe is a well designed and thought through CRM system.

Maggie
Office Manager in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

It has been a year of disappointment

Comments: I am opening a new nation wide firm with a law school classmate and we are using another plat form because of the terrible experience we have had. The only reason we are still currently with PP is because of the expense and work involved in switching to a different platform. I have been completely unhappy with PP since we made the transition and I remain so.

Pros:

We like the client portal where we can send clients messages and documents. The software is not easy to use. The reports are not user friendly, they do not meet our needs. It is difficult to maneuver.

Cons:

I have to keep a separate data base for my clients because there is no way to print an envelope from PP. Our software automatically renewed annually and we had a staff member who left our company shortly thereafter. We decided not to replace the position. I contacted PP almost immediately thereafter and have been trying to get a refund of that user's account fees and after a month, they finally got back to me and they will not refund the annual subscription fee. So, if you are on an annual plan, you cannot reduce the number of user accounts you have. The three way trust account reconciliation is not a true reconciliation that complies with the Rules of Professional Responsibility, so we have to still reconcile using other software. The email sync only works with limited versions of Outlook. When we signed up, we were assured their customer service was top notch and the longer I am with them, the longer it takes to get answers. Many times, they will close my help tickets without answering the questions. If you leave a bad review for their company they will call and address the review immediately, but they will not address the underlying issue that resulted in the bad review. Despite me raising my concerns over the software, no changes have been made.

Managing Attorney in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Great and improving all the time!

Comments: This is an update to a previous review I made. The folks at Panther are impressive. They've taken recommendations I and others have made and implemented them; they've quickly addressed issues I've had; and they are always courteous and responsive. The overall layout has vastly improved since my first review, and looks downright beautiful. We live by the search feature and it now works on custom fields. Custom fields can now also be listed in reports. You can now group custom fields so that you may show only those fields in a matter or contact that pertain to their specific situation. We have structured Panther so we can use it as a basic CRM...which is an immense work-flow savings for us. We asked for Dropbox integration and what they produced is perfect (considering the limitations of Dropbox). Time keeping is a snap and reachable from any screen. We asked to be able to a log call without assigning it to a matter, and they changed that so now we can. The tasking feature and its integration with the calendar is fantastic, I could not service so many clients without it. And the Panther folks have taken it on themselves to make some minor changes that have made the workflow of using the program much faster than in my previous review. I now can answer the question I posed in my earlier review of whether I love or hate Panther: We love it. I admit that it's not perfect (a couple of basic features in billing need to be addressed before I am willing to use that portion of the program), but Panther saves us many hours a week. I tried many firm management products before settling on Practice Panther, and I am glad I stayed with them. It's already better than the others, and it keeps getting better all the time thanks to their team. You cannot go wrong choosing Practice Panther. Final note: To my surprise one lawyer told me Panther seemed expensive. Really?! It seems well priced to me, and if you try to save a few dollars a month with some inferior product you will pay dearly for that choice in lost time.

Pros:

Beautiful layout, easy to use, functions as a basic CRM, matter and time management, and billing program all in one.

Cons:

Flat fee billing is not well thought out, and the billing module presents clients with a reckoning of my operating account as well as their trust account. (I understand Panther may have made the operating account info optional by now, or that is in their near term plan.)

Kathleen
Principal/Owner in US

PracticePanther

Comments: PracticePanther is like having a full time employee at a fraction of the cost without any employment law issues. I couldn't run my law firm without PracticePanther. The software is easy to use, the PP support is excellent, and the company is always rolling out new features to make running my law office easier and more efficiently!

Pros:

It's very hard to pinpoint what I like the most about PracticePanther since there are so many features I rely on for my law practice. I very much like that I can find everything related to a contact or matter in one place. All emails and their attachments, notes, documents, billing, payments, calendar, "to do" list (Tasks), time entries, and communications for a contact and matter can be found in PracticePanther. I use the templates and workflows on a daily basis, which save me time and keep me on track. With a simple click I can send an online questionnaire to a client that, once completed, is kept in the client account. The tags allow me to filter and label my contacts and matters any way I want. I use PantherPay for online payments which is very easy and shows all payments in the billing account immediately. I also like that new features are made available regularly - the software is always improving!

Cons:

1) Would like for clients to start, save, and continue an intake form at a later time and have them receive a copy of their answers after being submitted. 2) The timer buffers endlessly if the page has not been refreshed. I realize you are working on this. :-/ 3) If a client has a PP account with another law firm, that client cannot open a new account with my firm using that same email address. Is there a way to fix this? 4) Would love to have conditional/dynamic fields in the intake forms.

Jeff
Managing Attorney in US
Legal Services, Self Employed

Terrible practice management software

Comments: When you sign up, you'll get an invitation to a live webinar two weeks out. Totally unhelpful for someone trying to get up and running. I have been using PracticePanther for about one month, and I'm already considering changing to another PMS. The money I spent on PracticePanther is a sunk cost. I really think I should just cut my losses because if I don't, I'll end up spending a lot of time trying to manage and work around the software. I really don't feel like it's saving me any time at all. I would probably be better off with T-sheets, Quickbooks, and Law Pay only.

Pros:

Clients can pay online. I honestly can't think of anything else to say.

Cons:

Where do I start? The time keeping function is terrible. You cannot edit start and stop times. You cannot start and stop multiple timers in the mobile app. The software auto-saves frequently, and when it does, it moves the cursor in the entry to the end of the text. This is annoying. You cannot start a timer and then add the client-matter without causing the time to round up. The syncing with G Suite is bad. The software will not sync with all the fields in Google Contacts, and the "custom fields" in PracticePanther do not sync into Google Contacts. This results in a lot of duplicate data entry, which is what I was trying to void with practice management software. The software does not sync will with Google Drive well at all either. Apparently, you can't have any folders in Google Drive with the same name. For example, Client_01\general and Client_02\general would result in an error and none of your Google Drive documents will be visible in PracticePanther. The software billing feature is terrible. First, you cannot have multiple companies or entities tied to the same individual. Thus, if you have a contact who owns multiple businesses that are clients, you will not be able to list all those businesses under the client's name. To make matters worse, you can only email invoices to individuals who are listed under the company. I had to create multiple dummy contacts called "Accounts Payable" just so that I could email my clients their invoices. I ran out of space.

5 years ago

Hi Jeff, Thank you so much for taking the time to join our team on a training call, and for discussing the features and functionalities you would like to see incorporated into the software on our follow up call. As mentioned, some of the functionalities, specifically regarding Google, are limited by our integration partners. However, we will, of course, update you if any of the discussed functionalities change at any point. We are constantly working on improving our user experience and your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time, please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Richard
Principal Attorney in US
Law Practice, Self Employed

Simple sophisticated software that will simplify your practice

Comments: This is a complete solution for my practice. I am a single solo so the document automation, notes, time entries and billing are a great way to save time and effort.

Pros:

One of the best features of the software is not so much a feature but the logic employed in designing the flow of data. I have used a number of the more popular programs and can heartily recommend this as the best I have found. The ease of use makes it a top choice if you have staff that will use it. I am a single solo and it is not one of my concerns yet. But, I can't see anyone not understanding the flow of information. The automation is superb. Document assembly is easy and logical. One of the best features is the Forms generator. Email the form to your client or prospective client - they fill it out - and it goes right into your data. No need to waste time inputting names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and any other data you would like to have handy in your file. Tracking time is a breeze as is generating invoices, tracking retainer accounts, tracking trust accounts and more (I find the accounting component more than meets my needs). Over time you will come to rely on the information in the program over the physical file. It has become my organizational hub for all that I do.

Cons:

I would like to see a thick book explaining all the capabilities and limits. The support people are great and can answer any question - I just like to read it and push the software to its limits. I have used PP for some time - moving to another package for some time. At twice the price - it did less. In my brief time away the product dramatically improved & I am back and very happy.

Thad
Thad
Managing partner in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

Slow and often times down.

Comments: When it's working properly, it is easy to use and intuitive. Unfortunately, it gets hung up a lot when you're trying to sort activities and task lists. It seems to be down quite often on Monday mornings. At least once or twice a month in the last six weeks or so. It's down right now (Tuesday, July 2, 2019) and my firm of 27 people cannot use the software. It was down last week for over an hour. Yesterday, it was getting hung up when I was trying to view the "task list" and there are several tasks that I needed to complete for my clients. In the past, the calendar kept getting hung up and our front desk team of three people had to keep our clients on hold for extended periods while they were waiting for the program to load. We went through their customer service channels and ask them nicely and with increasing urgency to please resolve the issue. Nothing happened until we posted a negative review and they fixed it within a day. Then they caused by telephone and asked us to take down the negative review. I'm starting to wonder whether they actually work weekends in order to do system maintenance of the program is not down during the week.

Pros:

It's very intuitive which makes it easy to use. It integrates well with Law Pay.

Cons:

It gets hung up a lot. The program is down for long stretches during the workday.

5 years ago

Hi Thad, Thank you so much for your review. Ease of use stands at the top of our priority list, so we're glad to hear that you find PracticePanther to be intuitive. We pride ourselves with an uptime of 99.9% and we do apologize for any slowness you may have experienced over the past month. We have seen higher than usual spikes on the server and have implemented upgrades to scale our environments which should prevent these slowness occurrences in the future. Regarding July 2, there was a widespread issue with an application PracticePanther utilizes called CloudFlare that caused errors for some of our users. For immediate server updates, you can also subscribe to our Status Page to receive real time server status updates: https://practicepanther.statuspage.io/ We apologize for this inconvenience, understand your frustration, and appreciate your feedback.

Owner/Managing Attorney in US

Practice Panther Time Keeping and Billing for Attorneys

Comments: I have always been terrible at time keeping and billing. I have probably left Hundreds if not Thousands of dollars on the table by failing to properly keep track of my time and billing. With Practice Panther I am encouraged to keep track of my time and billing because it is fun and easy to do. And I am now on top of past due bills, who is paying on time, and when to prompt clients its time to pay up!

Pros:

I really like two features the most. First, is the absolutely fabulous customer support that I receive. I get answers within less than 60 minutes from the time I contact them. Second is the ease of use. Practice Panther is almost intuitive in its use. If the answer doesn't jump out at you, there are tons of training videos available and the online customer help is spot on.

Cons:

I use the basic Essential Monthly Plan. It is the lowest cost but the value is exceptional. I do wish I had some of the additional features in the higher priced plans but those don't fit my budget currently. Those features I can supplement with my own documents or programs.

Debra
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Great, comprehensive law office management program

Comments: We transferred over from another database program in a period of a month or two. All our contact information was integrated in from the other system, as were our case matters and billing information. At first we bemoaned the loss of our old cumbersome system that we'd gotten to know so well over 20 years, but within a few weeks our outlook brightened up and within a little over a month, literally everyone in the office was so happy that we had made the changed. Now after a year or two, we couldn't be happier. AND, the customer service is really good, they call you back asap and always have answers. I'm sure we won't be changing this database program ever.

Pros:

This is a really easy to use program, that covers everything from client information, billing, document management, time tracking, and reports that are actually used a lot and simple to both run and understand. It comprehensively runs our entire office and makes our jobs A LOT easier. Plus, it's accessible from any phone, tablet or computer wherever you are.

Cons:

E-mails pose a little difficulty in responding back and forth, because you have to start a new e-mail each time, although it may be because we don't have ours set up right. But it's still workable, and when they are saved into the program, it's as clean and easy to use as the rest of the program.

Terry
Principal/Owner in US

Easy and efficient

Comments: Being a new firm and a newly solo practitioner, I wanted the most efficient way to do it all enter my time and expenses, invoice, communicate with clients, use intake templates, etc. More, I practice throughout Northern California and log a lot of travel time meeting with clients, attending arbitrations or court appearances, or at speaking engagements. With that, I needed easy access on my laptop or phone to a law practice management system.
Previously, I did not have the ability to easily and quickly access a law practice management system. I also had numerous systems for entering time, tracking potential clients, invoicing, and the like. I love that I can use Practice Panther as a "one stop shop", even to pay bills, and that I can use it anywhere and on any device. It has made the hectic life of a newly solo and "on-the-go", mobile attorney much easier. I no longer have to worry about spending too much time on pesky administrative tasks.

Pros:

Other than it being a "one stop shop" and the ease of accessibility, I have been impressed with Practice Panther's ability to respond to my specific needs. A significant amount of my work is for unions and clients with multiple matters. Initially, Practice Panther was unable handle invoicing and billing for an individual contact with multiple matters. However, I approached them with my needs and they created a "fix" to their system within a week. They also followed up to ensure that I was satisfied. I was certainly impressed by Practice Panther's speed and attentiveness.

Cons:

I am still trying to learn all of the ins and outs. I need a bit more tutelage on the nuances. At times, customer service may not answer all of the questions, however, they have been very responsive to my needs once I call or make them known.

Jonathan
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

TOP NOTCH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY CAN ADAPT TO MEET YOUR NEEDS!

Pros:

The customer service reps are always available (through the website/app!) and are extremely flexible as far as meeting individual requests. The software overall is very intuitive and once the basic information is inputted, training other attorneys and staff is easy. The PracticePanther reps even offered to help with training and do individualized training as necessary! The iphone app is simple yet you can do everything on it you need to - right from court. I never have to worry about missing court dates or even reminders to review certain files or specific documents because in less than a minute I can have a task set, reminders set, and it will popup as I set it. The calendar syncs with Google Calendar and they imported all of our client contacts from Quickbooks Online, saving us many hours of data entry. We are getting into the more advanced functions like templates, workflows, and other automation and that's really where the software shines. You create the custom fields, you choose what information is important for every matter, and you can add-on as you are creating matters. The flexibility and ease of access to everything - including client files from DropBox, which can mirror any network - is unrivaled. Really happy we went with PracticePanther. The amount of time saved having customer care/customer service always available is invaluable. Highly recommended for law firms of all sizes.

Cons:

Still working on getting the office transitioned from a paper filing and calendaring system to online. So the one suggestion I would have is to maybe have an app for the calendar that is independent from the phone app - similar to google calendar. Also, there should be a way to turn the default settings to "Do not email assignees" when a workflow is applied. But that's a tiny suggestion. Overall no major complaints.

Robin

Love it

Comments: I used to spend HOURS every month doing my billing, and invoicing. I absolutely hated billing. Now it takes me a few minutes and a few clicks of a button and its finished, and the invoices are on their way to my clients, with an easy way to pay online.

Pros:

I really love every aspect of this operating software. It saves me time, and frustration. It is also accessible from anywhere, and extremely easy to use.

Cons:

There is nothing that I do not like. When I find something that can be "improved" such as adding sound to reminders... they added it into the software.

Randy

PracticePanther - Software Equivalent of a Part-Time Administrator

Pros:

So many features and components of administering a law practice are included with PracticePanther that make the daily operation of the business more efficient. I used to use separate billing software, calendaring software - including court calendars for assorted federal and state courts, and task management software. PracticePanther replaced all of them and combines them in an easy to use format. Plus with the credit card payment feature, I now get paid faster (more than 14 days quicker on average) than I have ever been before. It is like having a part-time office administrator on staff.

Cons:

I love PracticePanther's suite of features, but I wish it interfaced with my factual and legal research software so that engaging in online research could be automatically timed and the results saved in a way that is accessible through the PracticePanther website. For example, I use CaseText and if PracticePanther had an interface with CaseText, whenever I logged in to do research, I could enter the matter code and the time I researched was automatically billed to that matter and any cases I downloaded were linked to the matter in PracticePanther, I would be even more effective and efficient in getting work done and getting paid for it.

Jonathan
Used the Software for: Not provided

Incredible service for a great product

Comments: While one of the newer players in the field of practice management, Practice Panther excels in relationship building and care for its users. Having tried nearly every product available, I found that Practice Panther was a cut above the others by way of their desire to be the best. During the trial period, I send a large list of things that I would like to see implemented or improved in the product. Their response, that they have begun making a number of improvements and tabled some of the others for future releases, was impressive. Not only that, shortly thereafter they had some of the changes implemented in the product and live for all the users. Practice Panther is a great product that you can grow your practice with. The employees of the company are interested in making a superior product that exceeds the expectations of all its users.

Pros:

The dashboard allows me to see, at a glance, my productivity and earnings for the month. I can add important calendar dates and reminders to the page quickly and get a high-level view of everything that I am working on at the time. Practice Panther also integrates with Google calendar, mail, and apps which is great. It allows me to assign emails to certain folders in gmail and then see the communication string within the program. I can put a calendar entry on my phone while away and it will sync into the app. It is a great tool to help track and grow my practice.

Cons:

As I mentioned above, Practice Panther is newer than the others. There are some features that are coming down the pipeline, but not implemented yet. For instance, the trust accounting process is a little buggy. Some features take some getting used to, but all of this is countered by the fact that they are friendly, nice, and excited to make the program the best it can be. Overall, well done Practice Panther!

7 years ago

Thanks for the great review Jon! We have upgraded our trust accounting to include over 35 reports you can export for your accountant. You can reconcile your account with your bank, view trust ledgers, sync with QuickBooks Online, use UTBMS codes or LEDES98B billing if needed, and much more. You can learn more and see some reports here: https://www.practicepanther.com/iolta-trust-accounting-software-attorneys/

Jeffrey
US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Fantastic software that will change your practice. Amazing customer support.

Comments: After spending months researching, and receiving demonstrations on, dozens of case management software options (using Capterra as a starting point), I finally decided on PracticePanther. We are now in the process of fully integrating all aspects of our practice into this software and we are continuing to find new features that will make our office more efficient. This and the customer support continually prove to me that I made the right choice. PracticePanther is easy to use and incredibly customizable. In that it is web-based, it is accessible from any computer or device with an internet connection. We use it to store all pertinent case information and contacts, and to calendar appearances, tasks, court and internal deadlines and reminders. We use the feature which allows you to create workflows so that we don't have to reinvent the wheel every time we want to establish/calendar the same set of tasks on a new matter. PracticePanther makes it easy to track time spent and expenses on all of our cases. Also, it allows all users to view and track the activity of other all other users, which minimizes the need to constantly follow up with other members of the firm regarding status of task completion. PracticePanther integrates with Box.com. So if you house your case files within Box.com you can access them directly through PracticePanther. Because of this, we are now integrating all of our files with Box.com so that we can use this feature. The prospect of having all case information, calendaring, AND the case file accessible from any device anywhere, is very exciting. There is a great feature that allows you to create fully customized intake questionnaires that can be sent to potential clients via a link. Once the potential client fills out the information it is automatically uploaded to PracticePanther. There are great demonstration videos and articles on their website which really help you to familiarize yourself with the product, although it's very easy to figure out on your own as it is extremely intuitive. However, the greatest part of PracticePanther is its customer support. It is always easy to get a hold of someone to answer your questions. Best of all is that they listen to your feedback and use it to improve upon their product with regular updates. I have seen many of my suggestions come to life in a short amount of time. They truly want to hear what you have to say in order to make their product better!

Jamie
Founding attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great functions and integrations, but a smidgen 'clunky'

Comments: Overall it is great practice management software, I just think some of the functions are clunky (for lack of a better word).

Pros:

Integrations with Gmail and WealthCounsel have been absolutely critical and it is so easy to send a client an electronic invoice/receive an online payment. I also really enjoy the workflow function - this is amazing for task tracking and automatically tracking deadlines. Another great feature is the Activity Dashboard that keeps you on track with daily activities.

Cons:

It takes a bit to fully immerse yourself in this software and utilize all functions. The template function is a LOT but once you do it a few times you can figure out the ins and outs.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to PracticePanther Legal Software: It seemed smaller and easier to manage