15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

About Wagepoint

Simple online payroll software built for small businesses in Canada and the accountants and bookkeepers who support them.

Learn more about Wagepoint

Pros:

Additionally, I initially liked what I thought was a straightforward and user-friendly interface.

Cons:

Sorry; they're formatted completely differently and unable to be modified.

Wagepoint ratings

4.6
4.7
4.4
4.6

9.0/10

Wagepoint has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 230 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Wagepoint before?

Tracy
Tracy
Technology and Operations Manager in Canada

Wagepoint to the rescue

Comments: Great customer service and easy use of product.

Pros:

As an accounting firm that processes payroll for many clients, it's nice to have a payroll software that is easy to use. Our clients love the online portal and we love that employees can update their own personal information. Wagepoint support is great, and helps us with the set-ups that are less straight forward. Thanks to Wagepoint year ends are a breeze.

Cons:

Reporting, I wish list would be that when I find a report that I like that there would be a way to bookmark the report. Also better reporting that shows the remittances made to Quebec and Federal. Right now this all in on report. Also an approval process, so that once I have submitted payroll, that there was a final approval process by the client.

4 years ago

Hi Tracy, Thanks for the great review. Your feedback on the reports will be shared with the team. Michelle

Kaitlen
Bookkeeper/Payroll Associate in Canada

Must Use Payroll Software

Comments: Wagepoint is our go-to payroll processor. It is super user-friendly, for both myself as the administrator and for our client's employees. We have 16 of our clients on Wagepoint, and that number is continuously growing as it's the processor that we recommend if our current/new clients are looking for a change, or haven't even started on payroll yet.

Pros:

Wagepoint is extremely user friendly. They make all the functions super easy to find and navigate around the pages. Their customer support is extremely professional, and I have only ever had wonderfully helpful people. You are able to integrate to QBO and "push" your payroll journal entries to your payroll clearing account. Super easy to reconcile! Wagepoint submits ROEs, T4s, source deductions, WSIB, and EHT on your behalf. Never have to worry about manual payments!

Cons:

Wagepoint is still growing, and it has some functionalities that are still in the works, such as being able to break out CPP and EI in a journal entry for separate departments, or being able to pull in project codes and times from T-Sheets to classify employee's work times automatically instead of manually. All of the basic+ functionalities work wonderfully though. The only viable method of customer support is through email, which can take a while if something is super urgent. Calling in can get you an 'urgent' status, but you still have to wait for someone to contact you back instead of being able to talk to someone on the spot.

Alternatives Considered: Payment Evolution

Reasons for Choosing Wagepoint: More user-friendly and better functionality.

Switched From: QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Wagepoint: Payment Evolution doesn't have the ability to remit ROEs on your behalf or T4s.

Cyndi
Bookkeeper in Canada

Excellent Payroll Option

5.0 last month New

Comments: Easy to use, excellent customer service.

Pros:

The staff and customer service is always excellent

Cons:

Sometimes the auto emails with upcoming payroll submission dates are wrong.

3 weeks ago

Hi Cyndi, Thank you for leaving us this feedback and we're so glad to hear about your experience with Wagepoint! We definitely have some of the friendliest agents out there. Regarding the submission dates on the upcoming payroll dates, this can happen based on changed processing due to banking holidays. If you have any other questions, never hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected]. Sincerely,

Jason
CFO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Waste of Time and Money

Comments: Run away!

Pros:

It had the appearance of functionality. At first, I thought they understood the withholdings and filings that needed to be made.

Cons:

We had issues from the moment we started the setup process (which was not as straightforward as the web site led us to believe ). Many things needed to be clarified and corrected after the setup process and Wagepoint was not available for quick contact most of that time. Customer service is nearly non-existent. But the final reason we left was that their ACH processor, NatPay, suggested our business was related to products we have nothing to do with and WITHOUT PROVIDING ANY DATA placed the burden of proof on us. This happened without warning and Wagepoint simply parroted their inquiry. In fact, the evidence they asked from us was our URL, as if that would have proven anything. I could have given them any URL I wanted. This silly request from an already difficult little Canadian company (Yes, based on Nova Scotia) was not worth my time, trust, or effort and we fired them. Now, we pay them nothing to do what we were already half-doing to begin with to support our completely legal and ethical company that has nothing to do with the shady business they suggested. I would disagree with the user whose review stated you get what you pay for with Wagepoint. I did not pay to be irritated by a service company.

5 years ago

Hi Jason, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience while getting set up with Wagepoint. As a payroll company, we are required to put all prospective customers through rigorous screening before we can do business with them. While we're attempting to better our processes, there are times when legitimate companies get caught in the risk filters. This might be the case with your company. Unfortunately, as a company policy, we cannot override those decisions. I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that we couldn't work with your business. Sincerely, Shrad Rao, Wagepoint CEO

Josee
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Very satisfied with Wagepoint for our ayroll

Comments: Overall I have a very positive experience using Wagepoint.

Pros:

Ease of use for me and for employees and accuracy

Cons:

I would like to be able to call someone when I have an issue that I cannot resolve by myslef or have a question.

3 months ago

Hi Josee! Thank you so much for your feedback. At this time tickets need to be created in order to get into contact with our Customer Support team, but in Wagepoint 2.0 there will be an option for a live chat with our agents! In the meantime, please send your questions to [email protected] or using the "Submit A Question" option in-app to create one and we will be happy to assist. Thank you again, Your friends at Wagepoint

Isaac
Isaac
Implementation Specialist in Canada

Very pleased

Comments: I have been very pleased with the level of support I have received. In particular, Wagepoint did a great job solving an issue after the recent transition in November 2020 out of "QBO advanced payroll."

Pros:

I am grateful for the automatic export of journal entries to QBO and the employee classing features which help a lot with management accounting and generating reports.

Cons:

The setup is a bit challenging and the price is a bit steep for my smaller clients.

Accounting Software, Self Employed

Does everything you need

Comments: I recommend Wagepoint to all my clients. It is easy to reach customer support and use.

Pros:

This software does everything you need it to do - it definitely competes against the market leaders (Ceridian, ADP) and is significantly less expensive.

Cons:

I would like some more advanced reporting options.

Alternatives Considered: Dayforce HCM and TelPay for Business

Reasons for Switching to Wagepoint: Wagepoint does everything I need it to do at a lower price. It's ideal for small to mid-sized businesses. I have not tried it for larger companies, but I'm sure a price can be negotiated.

Kasim
Engineer in Canada
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Best payroll applications

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The ease of use and transparent for employess to check there payment

Cons:

Not many options to show employee the hourly rate

Diane
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Quick, easy and great customer service

5.0 last month New

Pros:

So easy to use and helpful friendly customer service

Cons:

Haven't been using long but have no complaints yet

last month

Hi Diane, Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that Wagepoint is helping you with your payroll needs and we hope to keep making your life a little bit easier! I am glad your experience with our customer service agents has been helpful and friendly, we really have great agents here! If you ever need support, you can always reach us at [email protected]. Your friends at Wagepoint.

Janelle
COO in Canada
Biotechnology, 2–10 Employees

Great costumer service

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: They are super helpful, very patient and kind.

Pros:

How fast and great their customer serivce is.

Cons:

I cannot really say, the monthly fee...but there always would be a monthly fee, lol.

Julia
Office Admin, Payroll, Boookeeper in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

user-friendly, excellent support. Functional

Comments: I am happy with this software so far. And I like easily and quickly reachable support when I need them.

Pros:

I like the clear layout of all functions, including reports. after ADP - it is a relief to use reports here. Flexible in different payment options

Cons:

I'd like the software to add functions: to calculate Union dues automatically based on hours worked (not on the amount of earnings). to calculate HST automatically for contractors To add the option "Vacation" paid to Contractors. Unionized contractors have 10% VacPay - I add it manually every week, together with Unions dues and HST

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Wagepoint: ruined settings (not taking payrol taxes from Vac pay that was added and subtracted, messed up with T4 and T4A, submitting wrong T4As, entering vacation amount in income, while we didn't see them on summary and found out later, when workers told us that CRA demands T4 people to pay some amount from T4A. and we were tireed of awful reports for weekly use, absolutely not user-friendly - it was a headache to find numbers there

Reasons for Switching to Wagepoint: recommendations

2 years ago

Hi Julia, Thank you very much for your review. We are extremely happy to hear that Wagepoint has made payroll that much easier for you. Whether it's the good, the bad, and everything in between, we care about your feedback and value your insights about how we can do better. Your feedback will be passed into the hands of the correct people so that we can look to improve our platform.

Christopher
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Great product.

Comments: Very happy. Have recommended it several times.

Pros:

Easy to use. Customer service is quick. Good for big or small size business.

Cons:

The customer service is email only which I thought would be bad as I have had bad experiences with other products, however it’s quite fast.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Choosing Wagepoint: ADP is brutal.

Switched From: ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Wagepoint: I like the full functionality.

Construction, 11–50 Employees

Great

Pros:

Their product (especially the UI), pricing, and customer support. We used ADP before switching over to Wagepoint and running each payroll via ADP was just dreadful. Wagepoint is much easier to use and more affordable, and their customer support team is friendly.

Cons:

You can't reach their support team over the phone. They only accept emails.

last year

Hi, We are extremely happy to hear that Wagepoint has made running payroll easier for you, as it should be. We are looking to implement some measures to improve the ability to speak to a live human. This will include live phone support. Thank you so much for your review.

Nancy
Founder in Canada

Ease of Use and Auto Run

Comments: We required an online solution for payroll to integrate with our cloud technology. Not being payroll specialist ourselves, we have found WagePoint support invaluable. Their response time and insight is amazing!!

Pros:

We have found WagePoint software to be intuitive and easy to implement. Their auto-run feature is fantastic! Set it and forget it for salaried employess. This has been a huge time saver for us. We have only recommended WagePoint to our clients since our first introduction to them two years ago. WagePoint fits well in our cloud environment.

Cons:

There has been no query that support has not been able to address and solve for us. Our payroll needs are not advanced and WagePoint has been able to meet all requirements. We really have no cons to mention.

Carleen
Payroll Manager in Canada

Great product!

Pros:

I really like the ease of setting up a payroll to run and how simple it is to pay hourly and salaried staff. Updating employee data is simple. I also like that a GL can be assigned to particular earnings or deductions. I also like getting the confirmation email after the payroll has been submitted as a peace of mind to know that it's been processed. Customer support, although only through email, is amazingly fast and often resolve an issue within two messages. Integration with other timesheet apps is easy and makes processing payroll that much faster. The online support documents are helpful when you need a high level or quick answer to a question.

Cons:

I find the reporting is very limited - it would be nice to create a custom report with specific parameters, as well as a choice of output options on the report. Some reports are only available in a pdf format, which is not always the best option. I also find mapping the chart of accounts for accounting integration is difficult and it is almost impossible to find where an error is without involving assistance from Customer Service.

Caitlin
CEO in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best payroll provider!

Comments: We switched our payroll from Ceridian to Wagepoint 2 years ago. I dreaded having to login to Ceridian because it was so archaic and not user friendly at all. It was so hard to find information. I could feel myself getting emotionally frustrated. I hated that I was asking my employees to also use such an outdated piece of software that would also cause them frustration and pain. Then I switched to Wagepoint and my biggest regret was that I didn't switch sooner. Wagepoint is sooo easy to use, it's incredibly automated and their team is incredibly helpful. I never have to worry about anything with Wagepoint. I never miss a payment, I never pay late because of a holiday. I love that it modern and easy for my employees to use. Using Wagepoint is the best decision I have ever made when it comes to payroll!

Pros:

Automated. Payroll happens seamlessly every two weeks. Beautiful easy to use interface. Excellent Customer Service. I'm never late with payroll because of a holiday. My employees enjoy using Wagepoint.

Cons:

I honestly have never come across a con while using this software. Anytime I've had a question I get immediate support.

Dana
Payroll/ HR Admin in US
Retail, 201–500 Employees

One of the Best Payroll Softwares

Comments: Wagepoint is very easy to use and has always provide the most accurate info and reporting. Not only is it an amazing payroll software but their customer support is the best I've ever seen. I never have to worry about running into problems because I know that they will respond quickly and help me resolve and issues I have.

Pros:

This software is extremely user friendly, it provides reminder emails, I am able to customize payroll and the deductions needed, and the customer support is the best I have ever experienced.

Cons:

I do not have any complaints with this software. On the rare occasion that i have an issue, their customer support if on top of it. I never have to wait and always receive a quick response.

Alison
CAO in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Amazing Payroll Software!

Comments: Wagepoint has been attentive to our needs and thorough with their service from the beginning when we started working with them in 2010. All the support staff are fantastic to deal with and the software makes the payroll part of my job a whiz.

Pros:

Fast customer support, the ability to process everything myself, the ability to customize payroll needs, the use of automated reporting and automated remittance and the ease of use

Cons:

Xero integration does not work in the easiest way for all customers

8 years ago

Hi Alison, We're just as excited about having you as a long time customer :) Thank you for all the kind words, and we appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback. I'll be sure to share your comments about the Xero integration with our dev team and and see if we can make it even better. In the meantime, if you need anything at all, please feel free to reach out to us via [email protected], and we'd be happy to help! Cheers, Leena

Monika
Receptionist in Canada
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

To the Point

Comments: Every day use is quick and easy and only takes seconds to input hours. Super useful and easy access to paystubs and T4's as well as employment info.

Pros:

So easy to use and browser usage and localized employment info.

Cons:

The App starts off with having a Pin set up for access, and no way to change said pin or set a new one Via the Browser.

last year

Hi Monika, Thank you very much for your review! Hearing that you are finding Wagepoint easy to use puts a smile on face :) There are many other things to be worrying about in todays world and I am glad to hear that Payroll isn't one of them!

Summer
Office Manager in Canada
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Cannot do payroll without it!

Comments: I want to say a big Thank You to the support team! They saved my day many times!

Pros:

1)processes are easy to follow and adjust. 2)Customer support team are amazing!!!

Cons:

If I have to say one, sometimes it is hard to get reports as exactly what I want, but not a big trouble to me. Still functions perfectly.

Nicole
office manager in Canada
Import & Export, 2–10 Employees

GREAT and EASY to use

Comments: Use wagepoint for my payroll service and love that it is quick and easy to use. Helped us when our accounting program stopped being supported and tax tables were not available.

Pros:

Ease of use and ability to access reports

Cons:

That vacation is only accrued by percentage instead of hours as all our employees receive 3 weeks vacation and the accrual in wagepoint does not accurately reflect this. None of my employees are receiving notifications that their pay stubs are available.

8 years ago

Hi Nicole, Thank you for your kind words, and we also appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We took a look at your account set up and noticed that employees had not been invited to set up their Wagepoint self-serve accounts. We have taken care of this on our end, so moving forward, your employees will receive an email notification to let them know their pay stubs are ready for viewing. As for the vacation accrual, would you be interested in a demo of our paid time off management app, Luna? It's fully integrated with Wagepoint and vacation balances are automatically updated. It might help with the issue you are experiencing. Either way, I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Leena Thampan Head of Marketing & Customer Success

Daniel
Vice President in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Great app for Small Businesses needing payroll with a lot of autmation

Pros:

Easy to navigate and use. Easy to setup and roll out.

Cons:

There could be better reports. The ability to correct the CRA BN is crucial, yet the support says it's not possible. Email only support needs to be improved. Companies like mine should be able to have a telephone number for a dedicated support team / person.

Kate
Office Manager in Canada
Higher Education Software, 2–10 Employees

Perfect for our Small Business

Pros:

Wagepoint's customer service is incredible. They never judge my limited knowledge of payroll processing and taxation issues, and always provide very clear instructions and options when issues come up. Not only that, they hold my hand through any troubleshooting that needs to take place (and often do it for me . . .). The system is fairly intuitive, and there are processes in place to prevent any major catastrophes from my lack of payroll knowledge!

Cons:

It's tricky to figure out the pay periods (paid from -DATE- to -DATE-) because we are in a gig based industry, so predicting future compensation is not possible. Likely there is a solution that can be found in the Q&A and tutorials, but I have not explored it yet.

Oliver
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11–50 Employees

Classic example of a tech business trying to cut corners

Comments: Theres a "we don't really care, we just want to make money" vibe around this business.

Pros:

Nothing. This software looks nice, but the back of house is a poorly designed, and the customer support system is very challenging to navigate.

Cons:

Wagepoint was integrated with Quickbooks. It was very difficult to make changes to any payroll. At the end of November 2020, QBs and Wagepoint separated. I spent DAYS attempting to navigate the changes. I would consider myself very tech capable, i followed all there instructions, but at every turn there was an issue, or a warning message, or a "its us, not you" note. It's now been a week, i still haven't been able to process payroll, I have spoke to 4 "customer support" agents. All they do is take your information and say they will call back. After the 3rd call, i told them it was very urgent and they put me on hold. Then came back and said they'd call back in 3 days!!!!!! All of this during their transition from Wagepoint to QB. Why don't you have additional support available during such a big transition??? I'm very disappointed.

Laura
Wine & Spirits, 11–50 Employees

Helpful and Prompt Customer Support

Comments: Time saver for year end reports and remissions.

Pros:

Relatively easy to set up and implement. The customer support is also very competent and helpful.

Cons:

The reports you can generate are not particularly customizable (and often not very helpful). I am also a Canadian user and it does not apply provincial labour laws to payroll (just federal). I also use Deputy for our schedule and time sheets and the uploads are not ideal (overtime, holiday pay, and sick days all need to be manually entered and retracted from time sheet uploads).