15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Help Scout

Help Scout's customer service software has the features you need to keep things simple, move fast, and focus on delighting customers.

Learn more about Help Scout

Pros:

Cons:

It's really difficult to spice things up for the customer.

Help Scout ratings

4.7
4.7
4.3
4.4

8.6/10

Help Scout has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 214 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Help Scout before?

Abraham
Abraham
Social Media Manager & Administrative Support in Philippines
Mining & Metals, 2–10 Employees

Great for Basic Customer Support

Comments: I have nothing to say about Help Scout's services, it does an excellent job, hands down. Though it's lacking some features and the pricing is a little bit high based on what features they offer. If you want just a basic customer service software for handling emails then Help Scout is a good choice.

Pros:

Help Scout does what it's supposed to do and it's very good at it. No doubt about that. It's the very main reason why many companies trust Help Scout for their customer support management. You can create automations, saved replies, a knowledgebase, and a chat widget (they call it Beacon). Everything works as it's supposed to and we never had any issues so far. It's really easy to set up automations and saved replies, no need to look into their help docs. You just need to use your common sense to navigate through the dashboard. I am using it daily for my client's e-commerce business for the past 6 years and I can say that it's a really solid product. I also like their mobile app because it works really well. This is very important so you can attend to your customers even when you're not at your desk. Most customers want very quick responses and so the mobile app will be very handy when you don't have access to a computer. There's no issue with deliverability as all our emails and replies went straight to customers' inboxes, which is very critical for this kind of app.

Cons:

I found another software that has more features than this app and the pricing is also good. I wish Help Scout will have a feature where you can snooze or schedule an email or reply, and the ability to create embeddable forms. Also, I wish you can connect your social media accounts so you will be able to easily monitor your social media audiences when they message you or when they comment on your posts. These are available on the other software I found and it is a great alternative to this software.

Lillian
Lillian
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Help Scout is the most effective method of providing assistance

Comments: Our clients' enterprises have knowledge bases, live chat, and self-service support widgets from Helpscout. However, since only one KB may be created per subscription, the Helpscout team may look into allowing numerous KBs per workspace.

Pros:

Helpscout is our principal platform, as the vast majority of our customers require either a knowledge base or live chat help for their enterprises. Therefore, we provided them with a Helpscout-based knowledge library and made live chat available to them.

Cons:

The platform's interface, especially the inbox UI, has a lot of room for improvement, and there is now just one knowledgebase template/design available, which is disappointing.

Chrisarn
Marketing Officer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout: A Super Remarketing System for Customer Services and Helpdesk

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Help Scout is an effective customer support tool that has quality features. It is simple to handle customer ticketing and help desk services using Help Scout.

Cons:

To date, there is nothing irritating I have found about Help Scout. Help Scout is incredible.

Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

Good for a temporary fix.

Comments: It's a good basic system. If you are looking for a ticket system this is a great choice.

Pros:

Ease of use Knowledgebase was easy to implement Ticket system works as it should

Cons:

Our business needed customer management and HelpScout was not a good solution for that.

Oparanya
Finance Manager in US
Construction, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout: A Comprehensive and Reliable Customer Service Solution

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Help Scout has been a reliable and accurate help-desk and customer service solution. The features of Help Scout are superb.

Cons:

I like the efficiency of Help Scout's features. No complains at all.

Emma
Emma
Senior Director Product Marketing in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

It couldn't be simpler to use; I adore it!

Comments: Help Using Scout, you can easily categorize your support requests and generate customized reports for each inbox. We can track the growth of our user base, learn about the challenges our clients have, and observe how our support practices evolve thanks to the reporting tools. It also facilitates reporting on key performance indicators for our business, such as average response and resolution times.

Pros:

I really like how Help Scout simplifies the process of reporting, sorting, and monitoring issues for our staff. All of our staff members are comfortable with Help Scout, which is why we've adopted it for internal and external help. The integrated nature of the Docs sites is another perk; I appreciate being able to rapidly link articles and check statistics about which sections of our help libraries are most popular.

Cons:

For our rather modestly sized support staff, I can think of no significant drawbacks to using Help Scout. I'd like to see a couple additional features in Help Scout, but for our current level of assistance, it's perfect.

Abhilash
Accountant in US
Textiles, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout Makes Communication with Customers Easier

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Help Scout is a great tool for customer communications. I like the efficient features of Help Scout. Help Scout is so impressive.

Cons:

No dislikes about Help Scout. Help Scout has been so amazing.

Marco
IT Expert in US
Consumer Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout: A Great and Friendly Helpdesk Solution

Pros:

This helpdesk solution is amazing because it has been meeting our expectations. I am impressed by the reliability of Help Scout.

Cons:

Help Scout is easy to use. No cons related with Help Scout.

Software Developer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout: This is an Easy to Implement and Reliable Solution

Pros:

The capabilities of Help Scout have been so excellent. Help Scout is easy to use and reliable help desk solution.

Cons:

Help Scout is so effective. No dislikes for Help Scout.

Perez
Sales Manager in US
Automotive, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Help Scout Helps Us Communicate with Our Customers Smoothly

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I really enjoy the ease of customization of Help Scout. Help Scout has been a great helpdesk solution.

Cons:

No dislikes about Help Scout. Help Scout is phenomenal.

That Guy in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Help Scout transformed our intra-office communication moments from chaos in motion to ballet.

Comments: to keep it simple..streamlined staff communications on everything from emails to phone call messages to intra-office project coordination and much more. Did I mention not having to get emails about emails that were about a forward of an email that was a forwarded email snippet...yep

Pros:

I no longer get an email about an email that is about a forward of an email which was originally about an email that was about an email that was forwarded regarding an email that was sent. Exactly..we have all had the pleasure of deciphering the shortened email snippet, forwards and the references to email threads that are broken but with Help Scout I now see it all..and see when..and where ..and who..Yep.. order to the choas of my many "conversations". And ohhhhh sooo much data hygine..i agree a terrible phrase but such a critical thing for any serious business. This includes a robust beyond belief search and filter feature. For those who appreciate effecient shortcuts and cross refereneced data points...yep tags..and filtering by tags as well. The bane of my existence is also the best feature which is the timeline transparancy that Help Scout brings. We all know who touched what when so we can not step on toes and if we try they put in the "traffic cop" feature to prevent unprofessional duplicate customer touches. Additionally, you can use Help Scout to assign voicemails to staff individual to deal with if your voicemail service offers emailed transcription forwards. Our staff also create conversation for intra office communications all the time to document timelines and details for reference later if needed. HS has helped us track everything from maintenance service logs to customer complaints and staff schedules.

Cons:

This is only a tough question and one I would suggest come first when reviewing since after listing all the things i love and enjoy it helps me block out the uglier bits and pieces.. Besides some of the android app glitches that are more annoying than crisis creating I am still hard pressed to find many cons about using HS this past 2 years. has had a "negative" impact on my work communications besides the timeline busting myself for something

Internet, 201–500 Employees

Very nice online customer support service

Comments: I started my career as a support engineer, I used several ticket systems (simple support, kayako, zendesk, some others) and quite familiar with them. When I started to use help scout, I was quite impressed with it. It's very simple, yet it gives the support engineer all the things you need (add comments, canned replies, re-assigning, automatic actions, etc). Also it's very affordable and easy to start using. In fact, when one of my friends asked me for a simple support system, I did recommend him Help Scout. It definitely is better to pay them a small buck, rather than spending your time and effort on purchasing some big system, installing it on your own servers and customising it.
There are some minor things that I'd be happy if help scout improve upon, but otherwise I'm very happy with them.

Pros:

* You can setup online ticket support system for your clients very easy and cheaply * Your support engineers will have everything they need to support your clients effectively * No bloated unnecessary features, only those that you need

Cons:

* Online mobile version leaves much to be desired * No way to merge several tickets at once * You can't make a note/reply and keep the ticket open, you have to re-open it.

We use Help Scout to stay on top of our customer support

Comments: Help Scout helped us get a handle on our support workflow and as we've added to our support team, it's made that process painless. We use the custom sidebar apps to great effect.

Pros:

Help Scout is a focused, straightforward support mailbox product, and we've been using it to great effect since we switched over (from a shared inbox for support) a couple of years ago. We were happy with the pricing, and we use the custom sidebar add-ons to great effect. We've written our own sidebar app that gives our support team access to a ton of useful customer information and error logging without ever leaving the mailbox. When we've dealt with Help Scout support, they've also been great. Help Scout does exactly what we want.

Cons:

Help Scout is a relatively slim and focused offering (although they are indeed adding new features all the time) this was actually a *selling point* for us, as we didn't want a super-complex tool for this but I am sure that for some users this could be problematic.

Jeff
Director of Support in US
Computer Software

Organization and focus on delivering excellent customer service

Pros:

They are super responsive. They are pretty rad and transparent: if something goes wrong on their end they are not afraid of admitting fault. Which leads me to trusting them because I can believe them. I know that tells you very little of the product, but as leadership that's something that I really need. Other environments—blameshifting—I cannot stand and can't trust, believe, or hope that they'll hold true to their promise. We're leaving another vendor for that reason. Their system is very responsive, quick, simple, and easy to learn. There aren't too many bells and whistles which simplifies my life when onboarding new teammates. Their docs are well written and engaging.

Cons:

The vendor is great! I'd say a better or more thorough live chat & phone integration would be great. We communicate with customers via email, phone, live chat, and Twitter. It's hard when all these are fairly decentralized. Help Scout *does* have a live chat integration (which we use) and we can forward VMs to Help Scout (which is great). But if you're looking for tracking call length, live chat length, or some of the other nifty metrics in one central place, you'll need to use Excel or a Google Sheet. Or use everyone's API to feed into your own system.

Maurice A
Maurice A
Operations Director in Honduras
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201–500 Employees

Dead Simple to use Help Desk

Comments: Our company uses HelpScout as its internal Help Desk for all of our associate's requests/needs such as equipment request, payroll inquiries, BYOD access, and so. We found HelpScout incredibly useful; it has increased our response time and productivity, and we are starting to build our internal Knowledge Base. Moreover, most importantly, the price is affordable and goes along well our needs.

Pros:

Initial setup is straightforward. We currently only use the ticketing/email feature in HelpScout, so setup and email configuration were complete in less than 10 minutes. The interface is clean, direct, and getting used to the layout is quick. We have synced our main Mailbox queue to a private channel in Slack, so each time there's a new ticket is sent there, which is beneficial to keep track of incoming tickets. Working with HelpScout is simple and straightforward. Currently, we only use the ticketing feature, and it's been a gratifying experience. All the essentials like adding internal notes, tags, tagging other agents, and replying to customers are there. My favourite feature is the search function, which helps you find that four-week-old ticket you closed a while ago easily just by searching a few keywords that were included in it.

Cons:

So far, the only complaint we had was the "next" feature, once you reply to a ticket, the next open ticket assigned to you would pop up immediately, and if you're not careful, you might respond the wrong thing to the customer!

Ridge
IT Help Desk in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Comments: Pretty good, the price increase is unfortunate, but it is a solid system.

Pros:

The software is pretty easy to get setup and using, even if you need to transfer info from another system. It is a very streamlined ticketing system.

Cons:

It likes to stop functioning from time to time. You will go to reassign a ticket to someone and it'll take 10 minutes. It usually clears up after a bit, but for them to have just done a price increase for this product with no real enhancements (at least none I've noticed) its odd that this is happening so frequently now. They also made some changes to the reporting which at least made our lives a little more difficult for the type of reporting we were doing.

Lucas
US

Easy to use, flexible, and great support

Comments: We've been using Help Scout for ticket management for about three years. Prior to Help Scout we had used several others, most notably Zendesk. We found that Help Scout was the easiest for our team to use, while still providing a good set of features for customization. The support team at Help Scout has been fantastic as well; they've been very receptive to feature suggestions, quick to resolve what few issues we've encountered, and every contact with them has been a great experience. That last part is important; I personally deal with the support teams of a dozen or so vendors on a regular basis and sometimes the lack of attention to detail and reading comprehension in level 1 support is astounding. Very refreshing!

Pros:

Easy to use.

Cons:

No android app, but the web app is still quite functional on a small screen.

Mizanur Rahman
CEO in Bangladesh
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Simple and easy to use functionality

Comments: Help Scout is a powerful customer service software that offers a range of valuable features to businesses of all sizes. While there are some potential downsides, the strengths of the software are significant and can help businesses provide top-notch support to their customers.

Pros:

It has beautiful and easy-to-use UI and UX. It has been made by amazing professionals already in the customer care space. Help Scout can be brought on to any company scale and proves itself with metric improvements rapidly.

Cons:

Help Scout's pricing plans are a little expensive, especially for small businesses or startups.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use, great support

Comments: We've used a number of ticket systems and found Helpscout best meets our needs. The integration options are easy to set up and increases the value we get from the software. The support is quick and always helpful.

Pros:

Its ease of use, great search with keywords in the help guide area of clients. The ticketing system is great and integrates with Infusinsoft and Trello so we can transfer information between teams. The reporting is also useful for creating guides based on real search terms.

Cons:

A recycle bin for deleted guides would be useful and more control over the look and feel or the canned replies.

Ashlee
Ashlee
Special Project Coordinator in US
, 11–50 Employees

The best help desk experience I've ever had

Pros:

The customer support is phenomenal! The Help Scout team is personal, friendly, and fun- a pleasure to interact with any time I get the chance. But because the software is so seamless on its own, a rarely have to reach out for support. I most appreciate the reporting features that show conversation rates and customer happiness.

Cons:

I would like to be able to export a list of customers I have spoke with over a set time period, so I would be able to automate outreach and followup. As of now, there is no established way to export lists or data.

Design, Self Employed

Easy to use and helpful features

Comments: Very helpful and friendly e-mail platform for customer service and customer service related analytics.

Pros:

I like that it is very easy at the eye, we use it mainly for customer service and e-mail threads are really easy to catch up on even if conversations are several or long. Also Love the preset answers feature, very helpful for general questions.

Cons:

The thing I like the least is that filters are not the friendliest sometimes besides the filter you need to look further yourself for specific info.

Melissa
CS Manager in US

Love Help Scout

Pros:

I love all of the features that Help Scout offers. We're a growing CS department and it's scaled with us quite nicely. Our Developers are able to customize is for us and it's quite easy to use.

Cons:

There are only a few things I don't like about HS. The main thing is that it would be nice to make article formatting easier to use with out HTML. And, it would awesome if they implemented a live chat feature, so we didn't have to use Intercom in addition to HS.

Stefanos
Cloud consultant in Greece
Computer Software, Self Employed

Help Scout review

Comments: Help Scout is a very user intuitive and helpful tool to keep all your customer support interactions gathered and managed in a single place. Very responsive and easy to use Web app console which I am making use of on a daily basis.

Pros:

I was impressed by the overall features and functionality of this product. In the basic pricing plan it allows you to create up to three support mailboxes and thus supporting three organizations with a single account. Each mailbox can be configured with an associated beacon, i.e. chat and customer support monitoring with customizable behavior depending on what end user experience you wish to offer to your customer support. Last but not least Help Scout features documentation pages which act as a knowledge base for supporting your users and thus eliminating support calls.

Cons:

I would like to see more granular configurations made available in the aesthetic side of a knowledge base. I would also like to see the basic plan to support up to three knowledge bases out of the box without an extra charge beyond the first one.

Dustin
US
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

Help Scout is fantastic

Comments: Been using Help Scout for years. The main reason I went with them over others was the still small business feel you can give your customers even with dozens of employees being involved in customer interaction. The tickets are silent to the customer, unlike many other products which a customer is nothing more than a ticket.

Pros:

- Easy interface - Lower learning curve - Continually improving - Good customer support - All cloud based

Cons:

- Per-user costs can add up

Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

Help Scout is the best customer service management software out there.

Comments: Help Scout is the best way to manage client communications. It is efficient and intuitive, saving my team time and keep our communications organized.

Pros:

Help Scout allows my team to handle client requests collaboratively and efficiently. The UI makes it easy to view my pending cases, as well as my teammate's cases making it easy to take it over if someone is out of the office.

Cons:

I have no cons for Help Scout. All the features and functionality was incredibly well thought out, and it is amazing how helpful it has been for my team.