15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Reftab

A customizable and full featured IT asset tracking platform. Easy to setup and use. Cloud based and mobile. World-class support.

Learn more about Reftab

Pros:

Easy to use platform with a robust number of features tools and integrations.

Cons:

The range of labels supported is a little disappointing but they are adding additional labels going forward.

Reftab ratings

4.7
4.9
4.6
4.9

9.5/10

Reftab has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 86 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Reftab before?

Devin
IT Support Tech in US
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Reftab Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall Reftab has been a five star product. Very easy and simple to use. If you aren't able to figure a task out they have helpful documents explaining each process step by step or customer service is very responsive and friendly to work with.

Pros:

Easy to understand and use. This software is very simple and straight forward and very customizable.

Cons:

You can't change the fields in the LDAP sync to custom fields such as Screen size etc. If importing machines you can't have the asset status set to in stock automatically. Which means you have to go to each asset and change the status manually. You can make a Workflow Automation that changes the asset status automatically for any new asset added after creation.

Alternatives Considered: Asset Panda

Reasons for Switching to Reftab: We have a patch management software we use that runs off an installable agent and will take a back seat to anything else that runs off an agent. Reftab was one of the only options that didn't require the install of an agent.

MarcAndre
IT Supervisor in Canada
Computer Games, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Reftab in a quickly changing environment

Comments: Every time we had ideas for features, the developers have been very responsive, very quick to apply them (or mention why it's not possible when that was the case). Reftab has been super flexible and very prone to help our business. We definitely have a before and after Reftab in term of quality of asset tracking.

Pros:

Reftab made it so much easier for us to adapt to the ever changing environment of our studio and constant movement of assets between desks or employees. It perfectly scaled to our studios worldwide, and allowed us to maintain standards between our studios.

Cons:

There is not much to not like about Reftab. We haven't used the customer portal since it's not very well suited for our kind of environment (where IT has a closer control on assets and accessories), but this doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatives Considered: Asset Panda , Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk and Snipe-IT

Reasons for Choosing Reftab: Reftab had every feature we needed in a much better, organized, and scalable fashion.

Switched From: Snipe-IT and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Reftab: Most of the others seemed oriented towards managing sales of assets, not internal movements of assets.

Alex
IT Support Technician in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Review

Comments: A few things still need some more work, such as offering more ways to automate would be great, some more complex automation would be great like, "If the loan is XYZ and the user is Disabled email Manager (Insert body of the email and allow response) My company is really looking to automate as much as we can so being able to do more complex things in Reftab and make a more friendly API to use (have had some issues with trying to make things work, for example, the API will work fine on one call, I will change one thing and it no longer authenticates.)

Pros:

The integration and automation, I would like more of these.

Cons:

Manual management can be tricky to use, I would love a cleaner/more streamlined way for things that can not be managed via integrations.

Reftab Response

10 months ago

Thanks for your review Alex! Much appreciated - we'll reach out to you regarding your workflow automation needs. Reftab can be configured to email a person's manager based on conditions like if the person is disabled and has equipment assigned to them, etc. There might be more that you're needing (such as a reply to address), so we're happy to work directly with you for that. Thanks again!

Adam
IT and Digital Manager in UK
Performing Arts, 51–200 Employees

Flirted with alternatives, but Reftab is worth sticking with

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I really believe that this service should be as well known as the most popular solutions, and it really deserves to be.

Pros:

Quite simply, the developers are so responsive, that issues and suggestions are acted upon and that makes such a difference to the product today. The flexibility of fields and categories means that it could fit all possible use cases. The self service portal is really handy and user friendly. Settings are plentiful so you can get things as close as you can to how you want it. It's simple, yet powerful and has so so much potential. We were looking at the better known alternatives whilst testing reftab as there were a few niggles and add-on which should be as part of the standard package (when compared to competitors) but this is all resolved and I'm really glad we stuck by it.

Cons:

Reporting is a little lacklustre, it is basically a filter and that's about it. It would be good to see formatted, client friendly reports, as well as checkout receipts, packing lists, hire terms and other handy supplementary paperwork. The accessories feature could do with a bit of TLC as it feels like there is a lot of potential, but doesn't quite integrate with the rest of the ecosystem properly yet. I think the logo looks like a push chair!

Alternatives Considered: AssetTrack , Asset Panda , itemit and EZOfficeInventory

Switched From: Freshservice and AssetCloud

Robert
Associate Director IT in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Reftab is awesome

Comments: I needed to find a solution to manage checkout hardware for staff and students. Anything from laptops to slide rulers. I checked into several options. Some free, some where the startup cost was over $5K. When I found Reftab, I was sold right away. It was so easy to get setup and it covered everything I needed. But then, there's the tech support and customer service aspect. Wholly cow, the Reftab team is on it!!! I've run into a few cases where I could use a feature. I submitted my use case and OMG, they developed it and implemented it. Now, if I asked for something that no one would use, mileage could vary, but they respond quickly and really seem to understand my needs as a customer. The product is great, but the support is what really sold me!

Pros:

Reftab is really intuitive. I setup my first instance without needing any support and barely glancing at the documentation. I had a fully functioning demo running with assets and testing check in check out in about an hour of signing up for a demo account. The mobile app adds to that intuitive use.

Cons:

I wish I could tie printing inventory labels to my Dymo labelwriter and use a label template to print more customized intentory labels right from the Dymo. OK... I haven't asked if that was possible, yet.

Alternatives Considered: WebCheckout and Cheqroom

Reasons for Choosing Reftab: We had an internally made solution. It was aging and didn't have the features we needed. Getting our internal developer to fix the problems was not going to happen. Priorities shifted and it was time to find another solution.

Reasons for Switching to Reftab: Ease of getting a demo and implementing, no high pressure sales, features, cost, support response time.

Kevin
Director of Quality in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Great New Asset Management Tool

Comments: I'd started w/ Reftab as a cloud based asset management tool for tracking and managing electric vehicle charging stations. I've also used Device42 then Insight by Riada as competing products because had developed integrations with Jira Cloud and Jira Service Desk Cloud for our task and service ticket management. Reftab continued to develop their product and has now integrated with Jira. Nice! The cost/month is currently less than 50% of the monthly subscription cost for competing products and the functionality and customer service are truly excellent for our asset tracking and management needs.

Pros:

Great value for $ Integrates and Interacts with Atlassian Jira and Jira Service Desk (Provides link between the asset and any issues or tickets) Bulk Import of existing asset information from existing tools. Easy to setup new fields with different configurations. Good filters to find what you are looking for quickly. Mobile app/interface

Cons:

The initial product did not integrate with Jira Service Desk. Reftab has since added this capability and setup was reasonably simple.

Avishal
Station Analyst in US
Airlines/Aviation, 10,000+ Employees

Best Program on the Market

Comments: The experience with Reftab has been fantastic, from the program to the management team. Everyone has been so helpful and flexible to tailor the program to work best for us. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking to track all their assets have automated reports sent out.

Pros:

The user interface is simple and easy to work with. Made it so much easier to locate assets that have been signed out to employees and track the usage. It was an easy transition for employees to start using the program and the training aspect was fast and easy. Reporting is fantastic by getting notifications of who has not turned in something.

Cons:

I don’t have any Cons on the software because if I do find something missing the Reftab team is always available to try to find a way to get us what we are looking for.

Alternatives Considered: GigaTrak Asset Tracking System

Reasons for Switching to Reftab: Reftab looks modern has the flexibility of multiple users at a fixed price, we can use this program in many of our department's which is a huge plus. We were looking for a program that can track assets and consumables at the same time and have the flexibility to have separate user access to each department

Kyle
Director of IT in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Reftab is making my IT life easier!

Comments: Very positive. Customer service was very helpful and knowledgeable. Asset creation was a breeze, and I enjoy using the interface.

Pros:

Easy to use, clean and fast interface, mobile app allows for asset signing and tagging in the field.

Cons:

I'm looking forward to more integrations. Some of the integration tutorials were outdated. Some UI customization would be nice, like themes or a dark mode.

Luciën
Luciën
IT Administrator in Netherlands
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Reftab Asset Management

Pros:

Reftab is a great package what creates and gives ease of use of asset management. It's structured and clear.

Cons:

I'm missing some features such as bulk transfer or bulk assign to user but that's quite it, further it's quite neatly build!

Alternatives Considered: Device42 , Freshservice and Oomnitza

Reftab Response

3 years ago

Hi Lucien, thank you for the review - the ability to bulk assign to a user exists in a couple different places, such as the asset table and the mobile app. Meaning you can assign multiple different assets and peripherals / accessories to users at once. I think the place you're looking for is within the accessory page. This is easy for us to add and will have it ready for our next release. Thank you again for your review!

Holly
Systems Administrator in US
Computer & Network Security, 51–200 Employees

Inventory Management Lifesaver!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Reftab is incredibly easy to setup, implement, use, and customize but the most standout feature of this product is the impeccable customer service. Lightning fast responses and willingness to implement fixes for our edge use cases among other great support has earned our loyalty!

Cons:

Reftab is geared toward assets that will be checked in/out while we use it as a way to manage customer assets that we've deployed in a permanent fashion so there have been some workarounds that we've had to implement, but the software tracking that's included more than makes up for any slight inconvenience. We're managing/tracking our certificates easier than ever with Reftab, too.

Ashley
Tech Support Specialist Senior in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Stellar Customer Support

Comments: From the trial period to full implementation, we really have had a good experience. This system has vastly reduced the number of individual tasks we used to complete at each checkout and has helped to streamline and improve customer experience. I have reached out on approximately 4-5 occasions with questions and have always had a quick response time, with a solution to my question every time. We are about 4 months into our switch and I am satisfied with the solution for our campus.

Pros:

The price of this software is definitely a win. We were previously using multiple home-built applications to fill this need. Moving from a home built to purchased application always comes down to value for the money. The Customer Support has been prompt, friendly, and efficient. I have reached out a few times and have had near-immediate response times. New features have become available since implementing this solution. I have seen options that I have inquired about implemented in the last 4 months. Impressive. The setup and ease of use are paramount. We have a high turn over of student workers utilizing and learning to use this system. They caught on to this application so much faster than the multiple applications we were previously using that the training time has basically paid for the program already!

Cons:

I wish the reporting features were as easy to navigate as checkouts are. They do not run in a way that is as intuitive to me. Especially when attempting to refine data into smaller increments. Automatic emails are great, and reduce the amount of individual notifications I need to send, but they could do with a slight improvement. There are terms coded into the auto emails to pull things like due date, asset name, or borrower name but not every email forms have the same terms. When I modified the email template the first time I removed some of those terms, and then could not remember exactly how they were worded to get them back. The support team has been great at quickly responding to emails to and providing fixes for any issues I have reported, but a 'cheat sheet' or about automatic emails section with the terms that can be used would be very useful.

Media Systems Manager in Australia
Broadcast Media, 501–1,000 Employees

Flexible and Cost effective asset management

Comments: Reftab has fast become one of our most relied upon business tools. The reporting features are very impressive and we are looking forward to implementing the self service employee portal soon. Reftab is fast, responsive and for the price, has a huge amount of value added features.

Pros:

Reftab is a well priced, and highly customisable solution that has really helped us streamline our Asset Loans across multiple locations and divisions. The system was easy to deploy, and we were able to bulk ingest our asset catalogue via CSV. Once you are up and running, checking items in or out is very simple regardless of whether you are using a scanner or not. Flexible loan periods and auto reminder emails mean that the system supports the needs of not only our Resources team, but also the end users. The Reftab team are extremely responsive with support requests and are very happy to receive feedback.

Cons:

No major cons at all. Having some more flexibility to customise confirmation emails based on asset type would be great - but Im sure the Reftab team would help out here if i raised it with them.

Elena
IT support engineer in Germany
Entertainment, 201–500 Employees

Good and totally worth the money

Pros:

Convenience, cost, fast customer support, constantly improving

Cons:

Would be great if they can add order tracking module (on the other hand, not many asset management systems have it). Mobile app isn't good in scanning qr/bar-codes sometimes.

Jeremy
IT manager in US
Airlines/Aviation, 51–200 Employees

Good user interface, newer inventory management software

Comments: We are really happy we went with Reftab. Our strategy was to pick a smaller product with more room to grow. I feel Reftab is early in their product lifecycle, and their staff is motivated to grow and add more features. This is the kind of company and product we like to work with.

Pros:

Reftab seems like a newer, slightly smaller company product, and it does everything we need it to do. Price is competitive, coming in a little lower than some other products. Reftab doesn't have some of the bloat or feature creep in other more mature inventory management solutions. The support team is very responsive to inquiries, and they even developed some small features we suggested, saying those features made sense for the whole user base. Accurate, intuitive

Cons:

The simplicity of the software has lots of pluses if you like simplicity, but it may lack some of the more niche features in the larger, more mature products. On rare occasions it throws an error, but the errors are handled and displayed in the UI in a way which makes sense.

Conrad
IT-Assistant in Sweden
Shipbuilding, 51–200 Employees

Stockholm Repairyard review

Comments: We think it's really good, but have problems with the location problem.

Pros:

We here at Stockholm Repairyard are very happy about using Reftab. Now we can localise which house IT equipments are and the the information about the product.

Cons:

We at Stockholm Repairyard prefer to view our location images via the web application rather than the phone. We would also like to add photos from the location from the phone when we can only see it. We believe it would be preferable to be able to add and view photos from mobile devices. It would be easier to see locations on the web application if you could only add pictures but not see them; we think this is kind of stupid.

Roland
Project Manager in Switzerland
Telecommunications, 201–500 Employees

Most compact asset management tool

Comments: I reviewed a bunch of asset management tools to use within our company. Reftab is the only one which is smooth to use and reduced to the really needed functionalities. What often is what you need. We decided to use that tool for our needs. There are some tiny points which can be improved like the data import/data export for Loanees and Devices. Some controls are maybe not placed very intuitive but after the first find and use, everything is fine. Overall a nice and good tool! A nice new feature would be to print out not only the QR-Code with a digital number next to it rather the QR-Code, Digital number, Company Name, Device Brand, Device Title and the possibility to format the output (e.g. like another Avery template like the L6011).

Pros:

Smooth and reduced to the needed functionality.

Cons:

Some controls are hard to find, only in the context of a location or the Import/Export functionality.

Trevor
ICT Operations Manager in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great product, so easy to setup and use!

Comments: Experience with Reftab has been great and the support from the Reftab team has been superb and they have sorted out anything I've raised with them. Well done guys!

Pros:

Checking in and out and having locations of where equipment is are fantastic. I can easy see who checked items in and out too, which is essential.

Cons:

I wish there was a way to fix the default sorting order in the Asset view (call outstanding on this, so hopefully it's possible) and wish I could use the Change History without having to upgrade to a higher tier. Would like to choose a default Tab when opening the program too. Everything else is great!

Jackie
Admin Assistant in Canada
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Reftab Input

Comments: Reftab is good so far, havent had any major issues.

Pros:

Keep the Company very organized with the equipment that comes in and out of the office.

Cons:

The Asset ID # don't automatically populate.

Jordan
Jordan
Procurement Specialist in US
Information Services, 201–500 Employees

Excellent tool

Pros:

Reftab offers organized asset management.

William
Staff member in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Reftab is a problem solver.

Pros:

I'm an enneagram type 1 (the perfectionist), and this software is incredible. I love how easy it is to use. Checking an item in/out is so easy, which is key for our business. We use this software to keep track of company vehicles. As the Head of transportation, it allows me to keep track of all the vehicles. Their customer service is amazing too!

Cons:

I haven't found any problems or dislikes with the software yet. It operates 100% for us.

Robert
A/V Director in US
Music, 11–50 Employees

110% satisfaction guaranteed.

Comments: user-friendly, with all extra features that i did not see anywhere else, customer service was extremely helpful. and the on-boarding for subscribers was top-notch. do your self a favor and take the software for a spin.

Pros:

the asset management was amazing, but the ability to Bar code every asset and then check-in and check-out,and the iphone apllication for ease of use. this purchase was a no Brainer

Cons:

when i find something i will revisit my review.

Heather
Housing Coordinator in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

So far, so good

Comments: So far the experience has been really great. One of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT], has personally worked with me to resolve some issues I had in regards to kit building and even added a function for me! The customer service/tech support honestly can't be beat.

Pros:

I felt this software was the best fit for me, as I really only need it to track physical items and help me keep an accurate inventory count. The financial side is not really a concern for me. All the other software I found wanted to integrate sales and invoicing, which are things I don't need.

Cons:

The software can be a little confusing to use. The desktop version is very different from the mobile app. However, this may be just an issue for me. If others are pretty tech savvy, I doubt they would have any issues!

Brian
IT Operations Officer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Good Value for the Money and has just the right amount of features for our business

Comments: While I did encounter a decent number of problems during the initial set up and deployment the product support is responsive and you will not wait around for a response. The bugs that I did find were either taken care of within a couple of days or an estimate was given as to when we could expect a fix.

Pros:

Cons:

I encountered a good number of bugs and 'feature requests' during our initial set up and deployment of the product.

Research, 10,000+ Employees

Great software at a great price. Amazing customer service!

Comments: Any issues that I came across during evaluation of the software was quickly and extensively answered by the support team. Amazing customer service.

Pros:

There is a significant amount of functionality that can be tailored to your specific needs.

Cons:

So far so good, at this time any questions or issues I had were resolved.

Jackson
IT Engineer in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Great product

Pros:

Easy to use, comprehensive, customizable, great value for the price.

Cons:

No IP mapping available.