15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Float

Resource management for agencies, studios, & firms across industries to plan projects, schedule resources, and manage their team’s time

Learn more about Float

Pros:

The Microsoft Calendar integrations it's very good.

Cons:

It's not that mobile-friendly at the moment. I've got trouble scrolling all the way to the bottom.

Float ratings

4.5
4.5
4.2
4.4

8.3/10

Float has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 1,584 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Float before?

Filter reviews (1,584)

Remek
Remek
Head of Design in Poland
Design, 11–50 Employees

The best app for planning and working with a team

Comments: I can't imagine working without Float.

Pros:

Clear, minimalistic and great interface with awesome interactions/microinteractions. Integrations with tools like Asana, calendars, collaborations with the team, and simplicity of use! Fantastic mobile apps.

Cons:

I don't have any points to add here, I have not had any problems using Float - maybe a desktop application for Mac would be useful ;)

Alain
iOS Team Lead in Switzerland
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The best tool for our purpose, with some issues

Pros:

It gives a good overview over the planned projects, even if there are many employees in different teams. The planning, time tracking and reporting features seem to work in a stable manner. Sorting and filtering is done really well.

Cons:

There are some UX problems which are just plain weird. Scheduling time for an employee is tedious because the planned time affects the duration and vice-versa. We do our planning on a weekly basis instead of day-to-day, so we're often entering time planned like 0.4h/day which is more complicated than we would like it to be. There are some weird issues with the API as well, where some fields are not being applied correctly, or behavior changes with updates.

Laura
Production Coordinator in UK
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Great value. Lots of potential

Comments: I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next.
I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros:

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way. I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them. Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons:

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could: - Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person. - Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time). - Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed. - It'd be good if milestones were more visible. - I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual. - It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them. -I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'. It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)

Preben
Senior Advisor in Norway
International Trade & Development, 501–1,000 Employees

Highly adaptive software which blends quickly and easily with most tools.

Comments: A software rich of benefits. I appreciate the much I achieve using Float. User friendliness on another level.

Pros:

Implementing this software is amazingly easy. It gives the user a choice to apply several tactics and features to enable best working for this tool. Project management is now a renowned process which I take pride in. Editing is easy and makes using the software friendly for beginners and new members. The free trial is something to take celebrate.

Cons:

Absolutely satisfying. I have no cons for Float. It has played it's role so perfectly.

Justin
Program Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Perfect for our team

Pros:

Does what it says on the can! The app itself is intuitive, lightweight, and isn't bloated with features. It was easy to set up thanks to a detailed Help Center and a great onboarding team. The Float Community Slack channel is also an excellent resource.

Cons:

There are a few additional features I'd like, but the Float team is pretty transparent with their roadmap, so I'm confident most of those will be added in the coming months.

Hattie
Head of Finance in UK

Great software for Designer

Comments: Great

Pros:

To visually schedule a whole department of designers, which is easy editable

Cons:

I find the reporting a little tricky when there are archived members. Also similar to when purchases are pro-rata for new users added part way through the billing cycle, it would be better if credits were applied for users removed part way through the cycle too

Thomas
CTO in France
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Good experience

Pros:

We were previously working on a competitive solution. Compared to other solutions on the market, Float is affordable and allows you to use the tool to its full potential. You're not drowning in a ton of functionality and that's what I liked about it. The ease of use for users and the ease of management for administrators is very satisfying.

Cons:

Perhaps the most annoying thing about Float is the ability to export a schedule for customers that is easy to understand. The statistics section could also be improved so that we can compare the time spent (and internal costs) against what has been sold (with the costs sold).

Alessandro
Alessandro
Senior Producer Coordinator in Italy
Consumer Goods, 10,000+ Employees

MID-SIZE CREATIVE TEAM (20 ppl)

Pros:

Float is a powerful tool that can help the managers to make sure the team is not overloaded (or underloaded :) ).At the same time we have a clear vision if we, as a team, we can take more projects to work on or we have to raise our hand because we are in difficult

Cons:

Visually could be more appealing. User interface is easy but it could be more eye-catching for the creative team

Internet, 51–200 Employees

Easy Ressourceplanning tool

Comments: We're using it for three years now and intend to continue doing so.

Pros:

This tool does exactly what its supposed to do for our Purposes. We are very glad to use it. On of the best features is the automated e-mail for the colleagues at the beginning of a sheduled week.

Cons:

From our perspective there is likely nothin in particular to dislike.

MORGAN
Health and Safety in Canada
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Float Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, i like the application. Easy to use

Pros:

Easy On Phone/APP Step by step instructions

Cons:

Locks you out if inactive/didn't upload document

Ben
Project Delivery Lead in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

Comments: We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros:

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons:

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

3 years ago

Hi Ben, Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team. I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float. If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Ky
Creative Director in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

Comments: It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros:

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons:

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Sam
Head of Design in UK
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Great for balancing our resources

Comments: I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros:

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive. I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past. The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons:

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

3 years ago

Hi Sam, Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users. Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float! If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help! Cheers, Siobhan

Nathalye
Design Manager in US
Design, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for visibility of projects

Comments: Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros:

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons:

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

3 years ago

Hi Nathalye, Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float. If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Merle
Head of Animation in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Integral part of our internal production process

Comments: Float has honestly been a game changer for our studio and as a result, the wider business. The minute we first started using the platform, it transformed the way we visualise our busy schedules and communicated with the wider teams about our availability and timelines. It's made our lives easier and simplified the overall production process - taking a lot of guesswork and confusion out of the equation.

Pros:

The simplicity and immediacy of the timeline interface is massively important for digesting and understanding an often hectic and clogged schedule. Customisation of clients, projects and tasks means that we can see, at a glance, exactly what clients and projects we are working with - it takes a lot of the project management stress out of the process for teams like mine, who need to focus on their own tasks at hand.

Cons:

I think there could be more options to input information within the tasks in a schedule - although there is a notes section, it would be great to see more integration with other platforms like the Google suite (Drive, slides, docs) that could streamline our process even more.

Joseph
Resource planning intern in UK
Environmental Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Comments: Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros:

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons:

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Aidan
Aidan
Chief Product Officer in UK
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Comments: Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros:

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons:

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Klara
Senior Account Executive - Designer in Germany
Public Relations & Communications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Makes capacity juggling so much easier

Pros:

The tool has a simple overview, visually similar to already known calendars. This means that you don't need any time to familiarize yourself with it. Just click and add entries.If you work with many different customers, you can create them once and then easily add individual projects within these customer folders.I especially like the fact that I can tell my clients apart right at first glance using the Color Coding feature. But when I need more information, I can also click on the entries and have access to the job number, the available budget, and any other information that might be available.Thanks Float - you make my daily work so much easier :-)

Cons:

What could be improved:Currently, when I enter vacation, my projects in the same time frame just disappear from the schedule. This is quite inconvenient and should be fixed. It would be more practical to at least be warned and transfer the projects individually to someone else from the team, or be able to specify vacation substitutions so that the projects are automatically transferred.Also, it would be great if you could duplicate blockers via copy & paste. The split tool is often a bit impractical to use.

Suhas
Security Advisor in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

best project planning and resource management software

Comments: Float takes care of all of my project management and resource management needs. It is the one place i can go to to keep an eye on the projects that my team is working on, and to see what the next 6-8 weeks looks like for my team and assign work/projects accordingly.

Pros:

I work in consulting and manage a team of 6 consultants. I find Float really useful to be able to manage scheduling for my team as well as forward plan based on upcoming work and team availability. I also work with a wider team and need to be across what other projects are happening and where my wider team might have upcoming availability that I might be able to use for my upcoming projects. I can use tags to be able to filter based on my preference, i find this feature extremely helpful.

Cons:

I can't really think of any. It works as it should for my needs. It has an intuitive user interface and super easy to use.

Aaron
Senior Motion Designer in Austria
Animation, 51–200 Employees

Empowering Efficiency: A Scheduling Product that Masterfully Handles Prioritization

Pros:

What sets this project management software apart is its exceptional user interface. Navigating through tasks, timelines, and reports feels intuitive and user-friendly. The visual representation of project timelines and progress is a standout feature, making it easy to grasp project status at a glance. This visual clarity has significantly enhanced our project planning and decision-making processes. With this software, complexity is simplified, and managing even intricate projects becomes a breez

Cons:

In my experience with Float, the aspect that has the most potential for growth is the mobile app. While functional, it could benefit from more robust features and smoother navigation. Real-time updates and more comprehensive task management capabilities on the mobile platform would greatly enhance the product's utility for users on the go. Despite this, Float's desktop version remains a reliable tool for managing schedules and projects effectively.

Yevhenii
Yevhenii
QA/DevOps in Ukraine
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Great tool to manage your team

Comments: It helps manage my team's work

Pros:

UI is excellent. I like it very much. I am very comfortable managing a team's work as well as my own

Cons:

In the past, I said that the logging button is hard to find on the navbar. Now this button is clearly visible. I'm grateful to Float for listening to customers

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Choosing Float as a communication tool means choosing a pillar of agility and attractiveness in a co

Comments: What do your employees expect in terms of corporate communication? Employees no longer hesitate to use their personal tools and applications for professional purposes. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working within a digital, agile company that is increasingly extended to its external ecosystem. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working in a digital, agile and increasingly extended company to its external ecosystem. Float as an internal communication tool makes all this possible, bringing managers and employees closer to the company and meeting their expectations in terms of information. Fun, practical and functional, Float has become for me an indispensable managerial tool, both to explain the company's strategy and to highlight my results. It also allows me to motivate my colleagues!

Pros:

I find that the features already present are exactly what I need for my start up: the possibility to call each other via Chrome browser is a plus. The mobile application is really very useful and makes Float easier to use. Not only does it allow me to continue to follow the threads of conversation wherever I am (in a meeting, on the road, anywhere), but also to send attachments (images, records, etc.). The integration with other applications is very ergonomic: I use Jira and Confluence a lot and the widgets in Float are very responsible as soon as I import a link for my collaborators.

Cons:

I'm a fan of it, I find that it is not lacking in functionality, but if I ever change my mind, I know that the customer service department will welcome my remarks and suggestions with kindness and professionalism. However, I do find that the possibility of not having to change browsers and make or receive calls from Mozilla would be great.

James
Head Of Web Design in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Good tool for team visibility and managing flex in projects

Comments: Essential daily driver for project management.

Pros:

Float is a super quick way to make sure everyone knows who's working on what and when. Easy to quickly re-arrange scheduled to adapt to changes in projects.

Cons:

Interface misses some simple things (e.g. why can't I right click to copy/duplicate a task?)being able to converse on a task and track billable/non billable time would probably mean we could ditch some of our other tools...

michelle
producer in US
Broadcast Media, 11–50 Employees

Float Review

Comments: great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

Pros:

I like the range of colors we are able to use. easy to adjust timing per day and see total time for each project

Cons:

I wish there was a way for my team members to see everyone elses schedule. I can see the full team, but each individual can only see their own.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Michelle! Great that Float is helping you schedule your team's time. A note about who can see and edit other Members' schedules -- your Float Admin can adjust access rights to allow for this. More info here: https://support.float.com/en/articles/5215287-access-rights Hope this helps!

Abbey
Facade Consultatn in Australia
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Easy to use for work complete & future tasks

Comments: Generally a very good experience with float and it meets all my needs as an individual employee. Only note is that its hard to export specific information for myself, as noted in the Cons section of this review

Pros:

Scheduling is easy for both myself and others. My office operates of a flexible hybrid schedule so its great that I can also indicate what days I will be in the office.

Cons:

With the introduction of hybrid work after covid, I use float to indicate what days I am in the office using the status feature that already exists. For tax purposes, It would be very useful if I as an individual employee could export the days and hours each day that I worked from home for the past year.