Intercom Reviews

4.5 (881) Write a Review!

About Intercom

Intercom creates modern Customer Service software that redefines how businesses support their customers.

Learn more about Intercom

Pros:

Combined with my WordPress website, it has revolutionized my customer service. It's very easy to use for both the end user and me as an admin, yet so powerful.

Cons:

Customer service is terrible and they just don't give two hoots about their customers. Constantly introducing new features but not actually fixing the main feature that someone would need.

Intercom ratings

4.4
4.3
4.4
4.0

8.2/10

Intercom has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 881 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Intercom before?

PM in US

Engagement with Customers is Great!

Comments: It is an easy choice if you want to create unique, engaging customer journeys! It also connects to many other tools, so it's a great addition to any software stack.

Pros:

I like that we are able to gain insight, offer promos, convert leads, provide support, host a help center, and create unique customer journeys right from within one platform. The Inbox feature is very helpful in providing quick and easy support, especially when using the Intercom mobile app!

Cons:

There are few things I would consider cons about Intercom. I wish they offered a bit quicker support, as I often wait a day to hear back, but it is a minor detail compared to the value we get from using the platform.

2 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review and let us know how Intercom is helping you create unique, engaging customer journeys as well as integrate so well with your existing etch stack :) Thanks for your feedback regarding our support response times. These vary based on the urgency of the issue as well as plan, but we always aim to get back as soon as possible. I'll make sure to pass this feedback on to our team here. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

IT Specialist in Mexico
Internet, 11-50 Employees

More than a messaging platform

Comments: We are using Intercom as our main costumer messaging platform in all our ends, from emails to customers to internal communications for our team. Intercom does everything in a neat and easy way.

Pros:

In a few words, using Intercom is such a wholesome experience with zero to non competitor in the market who can compete with his top notch features and constant improvements. There is always something new in the works to make it even more useful.

Cons:

The overall quality of the SaaS is very good, but the price you have to pay for everyone of the features is a bit too much compared to what is offered from the competition, don't get me wrong, being at the top of the list comes with a hefty price tag.

2 years ago

Thanks so much for letting us know how Intercom is helping you manage your communications with your customers and teams. Thanks too for you feedback regarding our pricing and packaging. Our aim is to align the price you pay to the value you see, and it's a difficult one to get this right for every type of business model. I'll make sure to pass your comments on to the right team. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Grégoire
Head of Growth in France

Great product, poor pricing and support

Comments: Intercom helped us provide better support and engage more visitors and clients.

Pros:

Intercom is super easy to use and implement. It's packed with time-saving features.

Cons:

Their support team is driving us crazy. It can take them up to 10 days to reply to a simple question. Their pricing is also super frustrating. We're paying more than 500€/month. For a company with less than 10 employees and 1,300 paying clients, this is a lot of money. Despite what we pay, we don't have access to their most recent features.

2 years ago

Hi Gregoire, thanks for leaving us this review. I'm happy to hear we're helping you better support and engage your customers. I've let your account rep know about your support experience as this is not what we expect. Kate (Intercom)

Customer Success Executive in UK

A true ecosystem

Comments: We have stuck with intercom for 4 years at this point and no plans to leave. I think that is testament to how strong an offering they currently have.

Pros:

I would not have written a positive review about Intercom 12 months ago. There were too many small grievances with the individual features that were all building up. Recently the platform has matured enormously. It feels like the team at intercom has come into it's stride. New features like Series, Guides ect and most importantly - how they all work together - has made it a much better experience.

Cons:

Currently my 2 biggest gripes are cost and customer services. I do think for a scale-up the price gets very steep very quickly. The customer support thing is more annoying - a core part of Intercoms offering is instant-chat. I remember 2 years ago their own instant chat was really great - now it can take a long time for a response to come in.

2 years ago

Thank you so much for leaving us this review. I just shared your comments with our Product team and it mad their day! Especially the team working on our Series product :) I also really appreciate your feedback on our costs and support wait times, even more so considering you have been such a loyal and log-term customer. As of late our reply times have unfortunately slowed but we've been working (and hiring!) diligently to speed things back up to the expected turnaround times. That said our reply times do range from a few hours to a few days based on subscription (Premium receives the fastest turnaround time) and nature or urgency of the query. When it comes to costs we always aim to align these with the value you are seeing so if you feel this is not the case please do get in touch with the team via the messenger to chat through your options. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Peter
Dir. User Experience in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Complete Package

Comments: We had the opportunity to start fresh with a new ticket system/knowledge base so were shopping around. We came across Intercom and never looked back. While it has those things it is so much more being a central place to manage all our client related communications. It is by far the application I use most day-to-day.

Pros:

Using Intercom has been an amazing experience. It is well thought out, full featured and continues to improve all the time. It has become an essential tool to communicate with our leads/clients. What is great is we can reach them (and they reach us) wherever they are: our website, in our web app, our mobile apps, email, etc.

Cons:

While it starts off cheap depending on the features you choose to use and your volume it can start to get expensive quick. I'm not saying the product still doesn't provide value (it absolutely does) just if I had to pick what I liked least I would say cost.

3 years ago

Hi Peter, We really appreciate you leaving us a review and are so happy to hear Intercom is an essential part of your customer communication. Thanks also for your feedback on pricing. We work really hard to align our pricing to the value you are seeing. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your subscription options with us. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Nathaniel
Nathaniel
Customer Success Manager in US

The really bridge the gap between customers and our service

Comments: Their customer success team is great, even on the days when I'm not the most gracious customer. I even try to emulate some of their practices because I feel heard as a customer when I suggest features or report what I think could be bugs in the system.

Pros:

The ability to converse with our customers quickly and seamlessly between email and the messenger app is great. They've thought through this feature set very well and it brings us very close to our customers and we are able to convert leads very well through this service too. Other similar apps function the same, but their UI/UX is lacking compared to Intercom. The actual feel of the app is clean and friendly and dare I say...even fun to use. Customer success at Intercom is also excellent, they've got our backs and I appreciate it (although getting paired with someone in a vastly different time zone can hold up ticket times on our end).

Cons:

There are some gaps in the help center and email features. It would be ideal to create/edit documents in a manner closer to Microsoft Word or Google doc, as those are the standard for editing documents these days. Little things like not being able to create a list inside of a document the way I would in other apps can be frustrating, but there is usually a workaround of some sort that will suffice (I'm just picky). It would also be nice to only be paired with their team members in our time zone. Working in the US and then being helped by a team member from Australia means our ticket times take much longer and conversation is hard to do in real time.

Liam
Liam
People Operations Manager in US

Not Much Competition

Comments: Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

Pros:

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow. Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex. Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

Cons:

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves. Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Operations Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees

Lots of Features but Frustrating When Messages Get Lost

Comments: Our team used intercom to support a large team of contractors that would frequently visit our website and work with us on a regular basis. We frequently use the "segment" feature to learn more about our population and to send out messages to certain segments. We also used a variety of integrations. For example, we used upscope.io so that we could immediately screenshare with any user who was on our website if they sent us a message on intercom that they needed help. The user would get a popup asing if they want to let the administrator view their screen and they just need to click "ok." That's it. It's that easy. Upscope.io integrates directly with intercom. You can also add Google Calendar to intercom so that intercom users can schedule a call with a teammate directly.

Pros:

Intercom allows for various quasi-queries, integrations, and outound messasges to your users. This is very helpful and is not available in all of the other customer support platforms that I have used. You can find out information about your customer population. You can send messages to only CERTAIN "segments" of your customer population. You can also integrate with a WIDE variety of other softwares to really up your customer support game.

Cons:

Intercom does not show all of the user messages together unless you open their profile OR they send their message as a response. So, for example, if a customer sends you a message, then 10 minutes later they create a new chat and send a new message, those messages are not linked togather unless you open their profile. I have had the experience of different agents answering the two messages or of answering one message only to see that the same user had sent a correction to their message. This is very frustrating. It can also be difficult for users to locate the knowledge base which leads to more inbound messages. Intercom is trying to solve this by bot responses, but this is something you may have to pay for.

Beat
Inhaber in Switzerland
Internet, 2-10 Employees

Advertising for Intercom in every E-Mail

Comments: We have been using the solution productively for some time now, then discontinued it for cost reasons. Now a plan was booked and cancelled in a new subscription structure again as a test. In the plans up to Pro, the customer also figures as an advertising slingshot, since an advertising line for intercom is always included in every e-mail. Since we did not want this at all (after all, the plan already costs 99 dollars / month) the test was finally cancelled. Intercom didn't want to offer a solution to this, except to offer updates to the next higher subscription (499 dollars / month) which is not affordable for a small company.

Pros:

+ Beautiful design, with many useful details. + Good iOS and Android app with slightly limited operation. + An easy to understand messenger for the customer. + Customisable messenger with colours, text and details.

Cons:

- High price and only monthly plans. - Platform only in English. - Minimal help center, but large but confusing Academy pages. - Tedious setup help, although the setup itself is not complex. - Support replies take up to two days, in English only.

2 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review Beat and letting us know about your intercom experience. I'm sorry to hear that we're not the right fit for you at this time, but thank you for sending us your feedback. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Jennie
Jennie
Marketing Manager in US
Internet, 2-10 Employees

A Great Lead Capture

Comments: Makes customer communication and customer acquisition easier. I wish the chat flows were more advanced and customizable. There was definitely a learning curve with the chat flows. Also, I don't believe I can export contact information with my leads.

Pros:

-Capturing emails and names -Integrating to Hubspot and other software for easy lead closure -Creating chat flows allows us to communicate to customers faster and saves us time

Cons:

-Would like to combine actions on Intercom -Hubspot Integration is not perfect; would like to have specific field matching -Chat flow capabilities are limited

Emre
Emre
Software developer in Turkey
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

I've had excellent results.

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: The ability to try and test an app or product before purchasing it, is becoming more and more popular, especially with the introduction of new chat and live chat services. If you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an actual product, you can try a virtual product, that is a product that you can test and play with, before you purchase it.

Pros:

Intercom is a complete live chat application for businesses. It is extremely easy to use. I found the chatbot feature to be useful, but I think it is only useful for some businesses such as retail businesses, or businesses that can use the information from a customer to see what they want to sell them. I would recommend using Intercom for businesses that need live chat but are not using it already.

Cons:

I am a marketing strategist, and my company is growing. I have come to realize that I need to engage with customers in an effective way to obtain leads and generate sales. I have tried many different marketing strategies in the past, but none have been as effective as LiveChat. I am able to create a LiveChat session with customers and obtain leads. I've had great results and I'm satisfied, I haven't had a problem. In general it works flawlessly.

Expert Community Lead in US

Intercom is The Best chat/support tool available

Comments: The business problems we are solving using Intercom are managing incoming requests and sending in-app messages and emails. And Intercom does this with flying colors. Regardless if a user messages us live on our site, via email, or even Facebook, our support team is easily able to reply and help. It also integrates perfectly with our app to provide full visibility of a user easily accessing their profile to gain deeper insights to assist the user even more effectively. There's a reason Intercom is growing so quickly; because it's a great product and is built with quality.

Pros:

What I like most about Intercom is how easy it is to jump in and begin assisting users with their questions and requests. It's been an invaluable tool for communicating with our users (both clients and developers) on Codeable and we've been relying on it 365 days a year for 5+ years straight. There are so many new features they keep releasing which are often things we didn't realize we need until we tried them and discovered we can't live with them.

Cons:

For the size of our support team and number of messages we send, Intercom is one of the more expensive SaaS products we use. There are other services that may manage a support center better, but those don't provide the same quality of live chat, self-serving help center, or messenger bots that Intercom provides. While cost is a consideration for all companies, we feel Intercom is still the best value for the money and are happy paying the price for all the value it brings us.

3 years ago

A big thank you from the team here at Intercom for your kind words David!

Stephane
CEO in France

A lot of features but overpriced for startups

Comments: Intercom solutions solve real problems however if you are a startup I don't recommend using it since you really feel that they try to lock you. They attract you with their startup package and then it will take some effort if you want to switch to another supplier.

Pros:

Intercom is a combination of tools providing different values and solving different problems. We use chat, article, product tour and several other tools. Overall they all solve a specific problem.

Cons:

Every tool we use has some limitations and we often need to find workarounds to reach our goals. However the worst point about intercom is their pricelist Even if you own a PhD you will have a hard time understanding how much to pay if you add an option. Every tool is an option that keeps adding to your bill plus they have triggers to increase the bill according to the number of users. Overall you don't really know where you're going with the way they charge you.

10 months ago

Hi Stephane, Thank you for taking the time to leave Intercom a review. We appreciate you taking the time and letting us know what features you like and are helping your business. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed in our pricing, we try to charge a price that reflects the value our product brings while letting both our businesses succeed. However, we understand that no price structure will suit everyone and are sorry that you find it to be expensive. If you have any questions around why you are being charged a certain price, please always feel free to get in touch via the Messenger and we would be happy to help. Thanks, Eabha (Customer Engagement)

Head Customer Success in India
Internet, 501-1,000 Employees

Intercom is a support agent's delight!

Comments: Fantastic.

Pros:

Intercom is easy to use and a supremely evolved support tool. It's a must have for early startups as they scale their businesses. Agent's can easily grasp and start using the product. The support articles are my favourite feature.

Cons:

I didn't like that Intercom does not support WhatsApp templates triggering via system APIs basis user actions.

Olivia
Director of Business Development in US
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees

Terrible customer service and onboarding

Comments: Onboarding was absolutely horrific. We even complained during onboarding about our rep. Basically our onboarding meeting comprised of --> Please log in and share your screen with us...now, what questions do you have for us? Excuse me? This is your product, what do you mean what questions we have? Everything, including how to set up and use your products. But the answers we got was basically the same, to look up the help center and let them know if any questions. It was terrible. The sales process was more informative than the actual onboarding. Awful response time from customer service. Can only chat, no calls. You're basically on your own once you pay them.

Pros:

The product once you get past the setting up and figure out everything on your own, is great and meets our needs. It's easy to chat with leads and customer and easy to install on any websites.

Cons:

Onboarding was a nightmare. Their help center is not all that helpful. You can only chat with customer service via the chatbot. It takes them 8 hours to over a day to respond back, if you're lucky (which is quite ironic for selling a chatbot product but they have zero urgency on their own). Everything costs extra, every feature is priced separately.

2 years ago

Hi Olivia, thank you for leaving us such a thorough and frank review. I'm glad that you found the tools meet your business needs but am sorry to hear our onboarding and support did not meet your expectations. I will personally be taking this feedback to the teams involved to help inform future improvements we can make here. Thank you for sharing this with us. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

CEO in UK
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees

Good product let down by atrocious customer support and shady pricing practices

Comments: We've been with Intercom for a number of years and unfortunately the customer service in the last 18 months has been atrocious. It's not possible to call anybody... everything is done via chat, which would be fine if they responded in a timely fashion but often it takes weeks to respond and often they'll just go radio silent. The irony. Whilst the product is very good, it will get VERY expensive VERY quickly once you start using the whole suite of products. Their constant changing of product names and pricing options is annoying to say the least, particularly when you come to use a feature that was previously within your package only to find it's been moved into a more expensive package and you need to upgrade to use it. Oh, and then there's the annual auto-renew buried in the small print so if you decide to move away from Intercom which we have just decided to do, you'll probably be tied in for longer than you expect.

Pros:

The software to be fair is the best integrated product out there if you need live chat, knowledgebases, chatbots, outbound marketing etc., all in the same package. The range of features is VERY comprehensive. Outbound campaigns are really nice as is the knowledgebase.

Cons:

Notifications for incoming chats are poor. If your support team are doing tasks other than sitting on Intercom all day it's easy to miss incoming chats. The AI bots are more miss than hit in my experience when it comes to suggesting solutions and some of the bot responses are simply bewildering.

Kyle
Director in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Adds Much More Value Than You Realise

Comments: While the price tag for Intercom is not small, especially for startups launching their first mobile app versions, it has consistently proven to be one of the most valuable assets for teams in terms of user support, communication & out-of-the-box development readiness.

Pros:

The in-app chat feature (with its cross-platform support for React Native and Ionic) is absolutely the biggest differentiator for Intercom. It is a critical part of our day-to-day operations & every client that has gone the route of implementing it with us has been hugely surprised by the large amount of value it adds to end users.

Cons:

We are facing ongoing complications differentiating identified and unidentified users. The experimental API available for Android seemed to be heading in the right direction to solve this, but we haven't seen updates on the stub implementation for iOS in over a year (https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios/blob/master/Intercom.framework/Headers/Intercom%2BExperimental.h).

Customer Experience Manager in Denmark
Wireless, 51-200 Employees

My favourite support tool

Comments: Only good experience overall
Great support team
Price could be better

Pros:

Easiest support tool to have. Makes your team very accessible, also makes the support process simple for the end users Good integrations and useful statistics provided

Cons:

Pricing - it is not very cheap. Pricing also often changes Help center tool - it could really use some help and updates Also, a lot of Add block tools catch Intercom as an ad and blocks it - thus creating inconvenience for end users having to choose between

2 years ago

Thanks for letting us know that Intercom is you favorite support tool and we're helping you deliver such a good user experience. I appreciate your feedback on our pricing, Articles feature and ad block issues. I'll make sure these get back to the right people here. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Blake
Blake
Co-Founder & COO in Canada

Very helpful support and customer onboarding tool

Comments: Overall they have been awesome on support and the tool is incredibly helpful. I will continue to use them for years to come.

Pros:

I love how we could integrate chat directly into our application for our customers. The help center is very nice for our customers and the reports really help us understand how our team is doing.

Cons:

Some of the functionality is a little difficult to setup especially around the tracking of specific features utilized on our platform. I also can get a little frustrated with the routing of messages, it can override the rules you put in place.

3 years ago

Hi Blake, Thanks for sharing your Intercom experience, I'm so happy to hear you'll be with us for years to come! I'll be passing your feedback about tracking and message routing on to our product team. If you'd like to add any further detail or context do get in touch via the Messenger :) Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Katarzyna
Technical Support Specialist in Poland

Intercome is up to something, but it's not there yet

Comments: In your everyday job, when you simply respond to incoming chats - Intercome is amazing. Once you want to do anything beyond that, it gets complicated, but not impossible. Also, their support is not really responsive, but you eventually get an answer from them.

Pros:

The live chat! It's working perfectly, it's easy to set up, and easy to use by both the customer and the support agent - one of the best options on the market for me.

Cons:

Everything besides the live chat - the knowledge base management has so little features and possibilities it hurt my soul everytime I needed to write an article :( Also, sending or receiving email is also quite a mess, it needs a little bit more work from Intercome.

Brandon
Brandon
Technical Support Specialist in Canada

Intercom is a powerful Customer Support Tool

Comments: Overall I would recommend intercom for clients looking for automation chat bots and customer support software. They have plenty of resources and their new product tour feature adds additional functionality to their suite of software.

Pros:

The knowledge center and live chat features were the most used features at our software company. These features were used regularly and automations within intercom helped serve clients efficiently.

Cons:

Lacks in reporting and knowledge base customization compared to ZenDesk. Innovation in new features can be slow at times.

2 years ago

Thanks for leaving us this review Brandon, and for letting us know how powerful you've found Intercom as a support tool. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Matthew
Lead UX/UI Designer in US

A consolidated place for a lot of our support & customer success needs

Comments: Overall, Intercom has been very useful to our support team in consolidating systems and enabling us to respond to clients quickly and resolve their issues.

Pros:

I particularly like Intercom's Inbox module. It supplies our support team with most of the tools they need to help our clients quickly, and share context with other team members. The chat experience is top notch both internally for our team and for our clients. Intercom's reporting is informative, specifically for tracking response times segmented by chat or email, or both. Intercom's Articles feature for help docs helps us consolidate tools even more and makes it really easy to forward relevant articles to our clients quickly, while maintaining a consistent brand feel.

Cons:

Intercom's campaigns (now Series) feature can be tricky to set up. Specifically, the sending logic can be confusing and is prone to accidents in our experience (i.e. accidentally sending to the wrong audience). Messages inside of campaigns/series don't always seem to get sent out when they should. This means that some of our clients don't get messages at the right time (i.e. they get a welcome email 2 days after they sign up instead of immediately after signing up). For new team members, Intercom has proven to be a little difficult to learn fully.

2 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to review Intercom Matthew! It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you consolidate your support systems and speed up resolutions. I'll make sure to send you feedback regarding our Series product and onboarding/training experience to the relevant teams here as we really do value these insights. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Community Manager in US
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees

Small SAS Use

Comments: Our main use for intercom is tier 1 chat support. Our users know that this is the fastest way to get ahold of us. In lieu of using a chatbot we've gone in and created a bunch of quick responses that we can go in and edit. This has cut down on the amount of time we spend chatting with a customer and it allows us to control the message that we are sending out across the board. We've also used campaigns to let our users know of new product releases and have sent out Net Promoter Score Survey's out in a campaign. I'd like to note that we do not use Intercom as a CRM for leads on enterprise accounts.

Pros:

Intercom is really easy to set up and importing users into the software is really simple. It's nice to be able to create an online library of help articles and have it available for our users to find. The chat feature is what we use most and our users definitely enjoy how easy it is to reach out to us.

Cons:

Our customers have a difficult time closing out of conversations or seeing actions on our screen that need to be taken on the right hand of the screen. The chat box will often times cause them to become more frustrated as they need to open and close the chat as we give instructions. The close button is in a circle under the chat, which is a spot that most people don't usually look for. There are a few customizable things that we'd like to see. Like the ability to create custom out of office messages or include holiday messages to let our users know we're either out of office or responding slowly.

Tito
Freelancer in El Salvador
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

The best option for LIVE CHAT and Support

Pros:

Intercom is the lease in the industry and that’s because is the best in Livechat and support software. I’ve tried a lot of services before, cheap and expensive and I can say intercom worth every penny and it’s the option that has given to me the best results.

Cons:

Nothing found until now. It’s really complete and well done solution.

3 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review Tito. It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you drive results for your business. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Oliver
Oliver
Founder & CEO in Romania

All our support team is using it

Pros:

Ease of use is really great. We have hundrets of conversations with our clients every day using this tool.

Cons:

Their pricing. Not only is it expensive, they have changed their pricing plan about 4x in 2 years. Furthermore it's very complex to understand.