15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Intercom

Intercom is the complete AI-first customer service platform, improving experiences for customers, support agents, and managers

Learn more about Intercom

Pros:

Combined with my WordPress website, it has revolutionized my customer service. It's very easy to use for both the end user and me as an admin, yet so powerful.

Cons:

Customer service is terrible and they just don't give two hoots about their customers. Constantly introducing new features but not actually fixing the main feature that someone would need.

Intercom ratings

4.4
4.3
4.4
4.0

8.2/10

Intercom has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 1,051 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Intercom before?

Filter reviews (1,051)

Liam
Liam
People Operations Manager in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Not Much Competition

Comments: Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

Pros:

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow. Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex. Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

Cons:

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves. Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Lillian
Lillian
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Intercom is a great support system tool

Comments: Quickly and simply, I can access the Macros and write/update the articles in the assistance center. Streamlining the process of submitting tickets to the correct division for handling user concerns. It's a time saver for all teams because they can deal with it themselves.

Pros:

Streamlining the process of submitting and responding to tickets, and developing automated tools to streamline and simplify our daily lives. I appreciate how simple it is to locate articles and macros to distribute to my clientele. The addition of emoticons and gifs to the discourse is a nice touch, as well.

Cons:

Previous software allowed us to see the customer's input before he sent it. This allowed us to quickly respond to his query by reading it as he was writing it. If only I could keep seeing it.

Allison
Head of Customer Success in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Top of the line customer support solution with lots of features.

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Intercom is super easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training of end users. I like that we can add it to directly to our website so that it's easily accessible by our customers. We also heavily utilize their proactive support features to alert customers to new features and updates, which is very handy. We also use their survey feature and like that it's easy for our customers to answer. Their chat feature is good and we like the automation that you can program to triage customer issues.

Cons:

I wish the ticketing feature was better so that we could more easily communicate tickets to engineering that need additional work and support and tag them to multiple customers. The Jira integration doesn't give enough visibility into what's happening in Jira as well. The reports from surveys also aren't the best/a little difficult to use. It's hard to sometimes see how the feedback we receive on questions corresponds with the score.

De
Sales in US
Financial Services Software, 2–10 Employees

NOT $39 starting price anymore. $59 a month for basic chat function

Comments: My overall experience with Intercom has been poor. we've been using them at the basic level for three years. I chatted with them to get a demo of their features to upgrade but they refused to give me a demo and finally set me up with a "30" call in which the rep tells me that she won't give me an upgrade after she finds out that i am not interested in the $500/mo annual contract. She says demos are for those upgrading to that level, instead, she'll send me links and prerecorded stuff. And that i can reach out if I have questions. The 30 min call was more like a 5 min conversation which was already difficult to set up. I've been in sales for over 15 year and when there is an upgrade opportunity regardless how small, I support that client. If Intercom was the only organization that did what they do, maybe I understand their cockiness and disregard for the smaller organizations. However, there are SO many competitors that provide you with very similar functionalities for less the price and with better customer support. So yes, I'm annoyed as I am a current user who is doing research on other competitors so I can stop being a customer.

Pros:

It's "popular" and works well if your company is enterprise sized.

Cons:

If you're a start up or a smaller business don't expect to get support. It's very expensive - starting at 59 dollars a month for one person accessing the basic chat. Sure they offer a few other things but like a team inbox? Most organizations already have an email system and a company chat in place. Next level up is $119 a month that gives you a few more functions. Until you are paying their $500 a month locked in an annual contract, you are "self serve" customer. Meaning, no support - just their faq/website. Can't even get a good phone call for help.

3 years ago

Hi De, Thanks for leaving us such a detailed and candid review. I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Intercom experience, it's certainly not what we aim for. While we do tier our support and sales resources based on subscription levels, the max you should be waiting for a response is 2 days. I'll flag this with both our Support and Sales team as it sounds like we haven't met this expectation in your case. When it comes to pricing we have a number of plan available (including our Early Stage plan where eligible startups get advanced Intercom features and Early Stage Academy at a 95% discount). As Intercom has grown, our pricing has had to evolve alongside this and there's still work to be done in this area. We're aware that no pricing structure will suit every business type but our aim is to truly reflect the value that our product delivers, allowing both your business and ours to succeed. Your feedback is extremely helpful and will be passed on to the team.

Gina
COL in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Intercom for Startups is Awesome

Pros:

We were fortunate to be accepted into the Startups program so we are receiving a great discount to leverage all the product has to offer. We originally found Intercom for live chat but it offers so many features that we implemented. We love the tooltips and pop-ups. We love the ability to trigger the chat box when certain events occur. There are so many features that we haven’t had a chance to implement them all, each one that we use had helped our users have a better experience on our platform.

Cons:

Get started was a little difficult and I have had to reach out to Support on a pretty regular basis because I cannot find the answer to my questions in their support center. Their support team is awesome but it can take a day or two to hear from them which is frustrating when you need to get something released quickly.

Sarah
Sarah
System Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

The Finest Online Chat Service Currently Available

Comments: In a short amount of time, we can offer extensive support to our clients. Having a help desk and the option to speak in real time are both fantastic additions. Many businesses today use Intercom to request pricing and quote information, and the platform's ability to route inquiries to the appropriate team member is a huge asset in building a pipeline.

Pros:

For over a year, I've loved the intercom's ease of use. Love the mobile app, and the interface is clean. Our services are highly adaptable. When it comes to expanding support, bots are invaluable. The onboarding process is also quite beneficial.

Cons:

Having more inactive contacts on the intercom increased the monthly bill. You must continually archive users in order to keep costs at a minimum.

Joseph
Information Technology Specialist in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

A Formidable and Iconic Customer Service Software.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Intercom delivers great and remarkable customer experience.

Pros:

It helps to provide exceptional customer support and services effortlessly.It provides quick and instant responses to customers enquiries thus keeping our customers happy always.It is simple to engage with our customers seamlessly using Intercom.

Cons:

So far so good,as I haven't experienced any flaws with Intercom.

last week

Thanks a bunch for this awesome review! Keeping customers happy is what we're all about.

Zeckie
Customer Care Rep in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

A Powerful Marketing Tool For Business

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I like the email and SMS markeitng features it comes with great live chat features.

Cons:

Not a single dislike to mention here. It is all good.

Rodrigo
Senior Customer Success Partner in Ireland
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent for emails management

5.0 last week New

Comments: My overall experience is very positive with Intercom and for sure I will keep using it

Pros:

I love that I can track all my customers emails from one place and I love that I can see if my customer has seen my email and I can take the correct action after that.

Cons:

customers informed me that emails go to spam. Not sure if thats related because comes form Intercom.

last week

Thanks for sharing! We're happy to hear Intercom's working well for managing your inquiries. We'll check into that spam issue to keep things smooth. Your support means a lot to us!

jason
software developer in Canada
Internet, 51–200 Employees

intercom end-users review

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

rich-featured product, and ai facilities, do its job

Cons:

only thing I would like to add is the mobile version doesn't have the same feature as the web version

Beat
Inhaber in Switzerland
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Advertising for Intercom in every E-Mail

Comments: We have been using the solution productively for some time now, then discontinued it for cost reasons. Now a plan was booked and cancelled in a new subscription structure again as a test. In the plans up to Pro, the customer also figures as an advertising slingshot, since an advertising line for intercom is always included in every e-mail. Since we did not want this at all (after all, the plan already costs 99 dollars / month) the test was finally cancelled. Intercom didn't want to offer a solution to this, except to offer updates to the next higher subscription (499 dollars / month) which is not affordable for a small company.

Pros:

+ Beautiful design, with many useful details. + Good iOS and Android app with slightly limited operation. + An easy to understand messenger for the customer. + Customisable messenger with colours, text and details.

Cons:

- High price and only monthly plans. - Platform only in English. - Minimal help center, but large but confusing Academy pages. - Tedious setup help, although the setup itself is not complex. - Support replies take up to two days, in English only.

4 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review Beat and letting us know about your intercom experience. I'm sorry to hear that we're not the right fit for you at this time, but thank you for sending us your feedback. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Kyle
Director in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Adds Much More Value Than You Realise

Comments: While the price tag for Intercom is not small, especially for startups launching their first mobile app versions, it has consistently proven to be one of the most valuable assets for teams in terms of user support, communication & out-of-the-box development readiness.

Pros:

The in-app chat feature (with its cross-platform support for React Native and Ionic) is absolutely the biggest differentiator for Intercom. It is a critical part of our day-to-day operations & every client that has gone the route of implementing it with us has been hugely surprised by the large amount of value it adds to end users.

Cons:

We are facing ongoing complications differentiating identified and unidentified users. The experimental API available for Android seemed to be heading in the right direction to solve this, but we haven't seen updates on the stub implementation for iOS in over a year (https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios/blob/master/Intercom.framework/Headers/Intercom%2BExperimental.h).

Lukas
B2B SaaS consultant in Czechia
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Intercom is helping customers success, support, marketing and sales

Comments: It is a perfect solution for a B2B SaaS business.

Pros:

We started using Intercom in 2018. The platform has changed over the years drastically. Many new features have been delivered that you can call Intercom a proper all-in-one solution.

Cons:

The worst part is the buying process—many calls with sales guys who you have to tell the same story again. If you are a startup, try to go with a fast-to-implement and easy solution.

Peter
Product Manager in Denmark
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Industry leader in category of customer communication

Comments: Intercom has grown to become an (almost) 1-stop-shop for all things customer communication related. Both sales, customer support, product etc. can benefit from directly using Intercom to communicate with your applications customers.

Pros:

A powerful platform that allows to view your customers session and meta data, instantly send targeted messages and set up email/in-app messaging campaigns, create help desk articles for self-service, automate workflows with bots and rules, onboard your application

Cons:

The increase of features and modules have brought the complexity of the software up. It's easy to get up and running (require 1 line of code), but the road to fully adopting the suite of tools is long.

4 years ago

A huge thank you for taking the time to leave this review Peter. I'm extremely happy to hear that you are seeing the benefits of using Intercom for your customer communication. Thanks also for letting us know about your setup feedback. Even as our solutions evolve and become more powerful we aim to keep setup as straightforward as possible. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Lots of Features but Frustrating When Messages Get Lost

Comments: Our team used intercom to support a large team of contractors that would frequently visit our website and work with us on a regular basis. We frequently use the "segment" feature to learn more about our population and to send out messages to certain segments. We also used a variety of integrations. For example, we used upscope.io so that we could immediately screenshare with any user who was on our website if they sent us a message on intercom that they needed help. The user would get a popup asing if they want to let the administrator view their screen and they just need to click "ok." That's it. It's that easy. Upscope.io integrates directly with intercom. You can also add Google Calendar to intercom so that intercom users can schedule a call with a teammate directly.

Pros:

Intercom allows for various quasi-queries, integrations, and outound messasges to your users. This is very helpful and is not available in all of the other customer support platforms that I have used. You can find out information about your customer population. You can send messages to only CERTAIN "segments" of your customer population. You can also integrate with a WIDE variety of other softwares to really up your customer support game.

Cons:

Intercom does not show all of the user messages together unless you open their profile OR they send their message as a response. So, for example, if a customer sends you a message, then 10 minutes later they create a new chat and send a new message, those messages are not linked togather unless you open their profile. I have had the experience of different agents answering the two messages or of answering one message only to see that the same user had sent a correction to their message. This is very frustrating. It can also be difficult for users to locate the knowledge base which leads to more inbound messages. Intercom is trying to solve this by bot responses, but this is something you may have to pay for.

Internet, 11–50 Employees

A true ecosystem

Comments: We have stuck with intercom for 4 years at this point and no plans to leave. I think that is testament to how strong an offering they currently have.

Pros:

I would not have written a positive review about Intercom 12 months ago. There were too many small grievances with the individual features that were all building up. Recently the platform has matured enormously. It feels like the team at intercom has come into it's stride. New features like Series, Guides ect and most importantly - how they all work together - has made it a much better experience.

Cons:

Currently my 2 biggest gripes are cost and customer services. I do think for a scale-up the price gets very steep very quickly. The customer support thing is more annoying - a core part of Intercoms offering is instant-chat. I remember 2 years ago their own instant chat was really great - now it can take a long time for a response to come in.

4 years ago

Thank you so much for leaving us this review. I just shared your comments with our Product team and it mad their day! Especially the team working on our Series product :) I also really appreciate your feedback on our costs and support wait times, even more so considering you have been such a loyal and log-term customer. As of late our reply times have unfortunately slowed but we've been working (and hiring!) diligently to speed things back up to the expected turnaround times. That said our reply times do range from a few hours to a few days based on subscription (Premium receives the fastest turnaround time) and nature or urgency of the query. When it comes to costs we always aim to align these with the value you are seeing so if you feel this is not the case please do get in touch with the team via the messenger to chat through your options. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Sam
Founder in Colombia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

No support, outrageous pricing and shady billing practices

Comments: We used to love it but their pricing is exorbitant and opaque. Once you are in a one year contract good luck getting hold of anyone to cancel it. They take over a day to reply and send you some minimal canned answer. There's nowhere in the interface where you can cancel or modify for the next billing period. and the whole thing is set to auto renew by default. Used to like them, now hate them in the extreme.

Pros:

The actual product works well. We'd have stayed using it for a long time if not for the changes in their billing and support.

Cons:

The support is now the minimum it could possibly be, even if you are spending $1200 a month with them. Good luck getting hold of someone. If it were to sell us some new aspect they'd probably reply in a snap.

last year

Hi Sam, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and being so candid. It's definitely not the service we aim for and I will be sharing this feedback with the wider team. I'd love if you could give me a few more details so that I can take a deeper look at this. If you feel comfortable doing that please email me directly. And if you ever have trouble getting hold of someone in future let me know. Thanks, Kate (Intercom, Customer Advocacy)

Expert Community Lead in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Intercom is The Best chat/support tool available

Comments: The business problems we are solving using Intercom are managing incoming requests and sending in-app messages and emails. And Intercom does this with flying colors. Regardless if a user messages us live on our site, via email, or even Facebook, our support team is easily able to reply and help. It also integrates perfectly with our app to provide full visibility of a user easily accessing their profile to gain deeper insights to assist the user even more effectively. There's a reason Intercom is growing so quickly; because it's a great product and is built with quality.

Pros:

What I like most about Intercom is how easy it is to jump in and begin assisting users with their questions and requests. It's been an invaluable tool for communicating with our users (both clients and developers) on Codeable and we've been relying on it 365 days a year for 5+ years straight. There are so many new features they keep releasing which are often things we didn't realize we need until we tried them and discovered we can't live with them.

Cons:

For the size of our support team and number of messages we send, Intercom is one of the more expensive SaaS products we use. There are other services that may manage a support center better, but those don't provide the same quality of live chat, self-serving help center, or messenger bots that Intercom provides. While cost is a consideration for all companies, we feel Intercom is still the best value for the money and are happy paying the price for all the value it brings us.

4 years ago

A big thank you from the team here at Intercom for your kind words David!

Stephane
CEO in France
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A lot of features but overpriced for startups

Comments: Intercom solutions solve real problems however if you are a startup I don't recommend using it since you really feel that they try to lock you. They attract you with their startup package and then it will take some effort if you want to switch to another supplier.

Pros:

Intercom is a combination of tools providing different values and solving different problems. We use chat, article, product tour and several other tools. Overall they all solve a specific problem.

Cons:

Every tool we use has some limitations and we often need to find workarounds to reach our goals. However the worst point about intercom is their pricelist Even if you own a PhD you will have a hard time understanding how much to pay if you add an option. Every tool is an option that keeps adding to your bill plus they have triggers to increase the bill according to the number of users. Overall you don't really know where you're going with the way they charge you.

2 years ago

Hi Stephane, Thank you for taking the time to leave Intercom a review. We appreciate you taking the time and letting us know what features you like and are helping your business. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed in our pricing, we try to charge a price that reflects the value our product brings while letting both our businesses succeed. However, we understand that no price structure will suit everyone and are sorry that you find it to be expensive. If you have any questions around why you are being charged a certain price, please always feel free to get in touch via the Messenger and we would be happy to help. Thanks, Eabha (Customer Engagement)

Maria
Sales Executive in Jordan
Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

One of the best tools designed to enable us to quickly respond to customer inquiries

Comments: Most website users are afraid to use live chat to ask questions, so we helped Intercom attract their attention and enable us to initiate questions, and this enabled us to gain their trust and include them in the lists of potential customers, so that we could always update them on new campaigns.

Pros:

Intercom's capabilities enable us to interact with our website visitors in an intelligent way, as the automation and artificial intelligence available in Intercom enable us to prepare a list of appropriate answers to the questions we receive frequently so that we can respond to customer inquiries quickly. As for the distribution of email coming from customers, the process is smooth, as we can customize the settings so that the incoming mail is sorted by specialty and sent directly to the relevant members. The control panel provides a lot of tools through which we can better track customer tickets, limit the outstanding tickets, and request assistance regarding them, ensuring that there is no delay in responding. It's also nice how we managed to restrict visitors from sending many useless tickets and using bad language when chatting.

Cons:

Ease of use depends on the correct setup as well as customizing the tools to suit the duties of the team, and any mistakes in that will make things look very complicated.

Internet, 2–10 Employees

Extremely expensive and they make it extremely hard to move away

Comments: Poor startup support

Pros:

All in one system, with email, lite CRM and small analytics.

Cons:

Everything about intercom is built to keep you in the ecosystem. And the more you integrate the harder it is to move away. But they actively make it hard to move away. For example, by not allowing you to export your help articles and by creating random URL conventions to make it hard to redirect your help articles once you have built them elsewhere.

4 years ago

Thanks for leaving us this review and for giving us your candid feedback. We always aim to earn our customers' business and trust through our product quality and the value it drives, we certainly don't want to make it difficult to move away if we're not the right fit. I'll make sure to pass this feedback on to the team here. Please do get in touch via the messenger if you would like to discuss this further. Thanks, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Small SAS Use

Comments: Our main use for intercom is tier 1 chat support. Our users know that this is the fastest way to get ahold of us. In lieu of using a chatbot we've gone in and created a bunch of quick responses that we can go in and edit. This has cut down on the amount of time we spend chatting with a customer and it allows us to control the message that we are sending out across the board. We've also used campaigns to let our users know of new product releases and have sent out Net Promoter Score Survey's out in a campaign. I'd like to note that we do not use Intercom as a CRM for leads on enterprise accounts.

Pros:

Intercom is really easy to set up and importing users into the software is really simple. It's nice to be able to create an online library of help articles and have it available for our users to find. The chat feature is what we use most and our users definitely enjoy how easy it is to reach out to us.

Cons:

Our customers have a difficult time closing out of conversations or seeing actions on our screen that need to be taken on the right hand of the screen. The chat box will often times cause them to become more frustrated as they need to open and close the chat as we give instructions. The close button is in a circle under the chat, which is a spot that most people don't usually look for. There are a few customizable things that we'd like to see. Like the ability to create custom out of office messages or include holiday messages to let our users know we're either out of office or responding slowly.

Oliver
Oliver
Founder & CEO in Romania
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

All our support team is using it

Pros:

Ease of use is really great. We have hundrets of conversations with our clients every day using this tool.

Cons:

Their pricing. Not only is it expensive, they have changed their pricing plan about 4x in 2 years. Furthermore it's very complex to understand.

Fernando
Support Manager in Brazil
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best software for proving support

Comments: Coundn't be better. Today I cannot imagine our daily support activies without this software.

Pros:

Its hard to say what I like the most, since are so many great features. Still, I believe the Inbox module is by far the great thing about it, since it allows a direct communication with clients.

Cons:

A couple of months ago articles sharing was changed on the inbox feature. Now, when you share an article via conversation the client cannot open it on a separate page. This is terrible for most clients, a source of great complain.

4 years ago

Hi Fernando, Thank you for leaving us this review. It sounds like you're getting real value from the platform, especially the team inbox! Make sure to keep an eye on our Intercom Academy page as we'll be releasing a new course designed specifically for Support Managers in the coming months which I think you might like. I'll also make sure to pass your feedback regarding Article sharing to the appropriate product team. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Scott
Customer Service Lead in US
Apparel & Fashion, 51–200 Employees

Intercom Is (mostly) Great!

Comments: We use Intercom daily to help diagnose and solve a multitude of customer issues. As an admin, I have the ability to monitor chats, provide internal notes within the chat in real time for trainees, and make sure everyone is offline at the end of the day. There are a few flaws and Intercom WILL send you far too many emails, but overall this is a great chat tool for any customer service business.

Pros:

Using Intercom as our ECOM site's chat service has been very helpful! On the customer service team, we are immediately given the contact information needed to properly help a customer. Using Intercom alongside Zendesk has also been a huge improvement over our old chat/ticketing software as they work very well together. Our team also utilizes custom and team macro responses to give fast, accurate answers and assistance. Also, giphy integration!

Cons:

The default setting on Intercom has keyboard shortcuts turned on. It seems like most of them immediately close the chat. This can be easily solved by turning them off, but it is not made obvious on how to do so. Once they're off, it's smooth sailing! We have two customer service teams, and we often have agents going back and forth between the two. We use Intercom for both. The other downside is that it is impossible to be available on one and away/reassign on the other. You can keep it open in two tabs, but that's more of a workaround than a solution.