Escapia Reviews

4.4 (104) Write a Review!

About Escapia

Leading vacation rental software with fee-free distribution, trust accounting, reservation management, & more for property managers.

Learn more about Escapia

Escapia ratings

4.1
4.5
4.2
4.3

8.3/10

Escapia has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 104 user reviews on Capterra.

Sort by

Have you used Escapia before?

Bharath (BEN)
Digital Marketing & Communications Manager | Auckland Body Corp | Bayleys in New Zealand

Best PM Software

Pros:

Very easy to understand and cost effective. Each module has a unique ability to help hospitality business.

Cons:

The time it takes to learn or understand the software. however the CSR team is good and always supportive

Gerardo
Controller in Canada

Excellent PMS but needs modernizing

Comments: We used Escapia for more than 8 years but we had to always rely on third party solutions to connect with Airbnb, Inntopia and even our own website, so we decided to move away to a more modern and friendly solution.
Bit don’t get me wrong, Escapia even though dated is extremely well designed and work very well.

Pros:

The accounting, housekeeping and work order modules are incredibly well designed.

Cons:

The pricing module is not friendly and cumbersome. Doesn’t have a direct connection with Airbnb and doesn’t have a built in website solution

Bethany
U.S.
Used the Software for: Not provided

A Big Complicated Software.

Comments: Escape has a lot of features, and potentially a lot of power, but it's so complicated that it's easy to miss a step and mess something up badly. Almost nothing about the software is user-friendly or intuitive, everything is convoluted and complicated, and requires many steps and a lot of double-checking. This also applies to EscapiaNET, which is also not as straightforward as one would hope since property information shows up differently on different platforms. I would count this one of the most useful features of Escapia. We have enjoyed being able to integrate with Glad To Have You and use that for guest communication and contracts, and we also push our properties out to other platforms. EscapiaNET is not without flaws and we have had issues even integrating with VRBO (which is also owned by HomeAway so you would think that would be easy), mostly because of the number of complicated, easy-to-forget steps to make sure everything is perfect in Escape. However, to be fair, I don't know if integration through any other property management software would provide better integration. As it does seem like a very challenging thing to do well.

Pros:

Escape customer support has done a good job troubleshooting and explaining how things work when I contact them. There are also lots of training resources, self-help articles, explanatory videos, etc, available. I have also heard that the Escape accounting features are useful and thorough. I have not had any experience with the accounting side of Escapia.

Cons:

One of the things that have been most frustrating about Escapia is the Owner web feature, which is supposed to provide an owner portal where our property owners can log in and see property details, upcoming reservations, owner documents, etc. Owner web itself is pretty limited, which is fine if that's what you want. One problem is that as of now owners cannot reset their password, and so they always have to contact us if they forget it so that we can change it for them. Another challenge has been that many of our owners own more than one property and that for accounting purposes each of these units has to be set up with different owners. That means that when one of those owners logs into the owner portal they can only see one of their properties unless they set up separate logins for each property, which includes separate email addresses. But then those email addresses will automatically be where their owner statements are sent, so if they want all the owner's statements to go to one email, they will have to forward them. We do not want to make our owners jump through hoops like this. We want their experience to be as simple and streamlined as possible. Escapia also lacks some features (such as automated emails, simpler reports, better filters for sending a guest communication, and the ability to add attachments to that communication) that would make the software more functional. I have also heard from our maintenance and housekeeping teams that Escapia is challenging for them to understand and use as they would like to. Basically, we've ended up using other software and strategies to fill in the gaps and give us the features we want, which is a little disappointing considering the seeming hugeness and complexity of Escapia.

HomeAway Software Response

6 years ago

Hi Bethany, We apologize for the delay in response. We are continuously working on new features and enhancements and your Client Solutions Manager will be happy to share those with you. Please contact us at [email protected] and use the title of ¿Related to Capterra¿ if you would like. It sounds like you already take advantage of our training, support, and other resources, but we would love to show you what other tools we have that might be helpful for you and your team. Thank you for your feedback, HomeAway Software

Kelley
Owner/ Property Manager in U.S.
Real Estate, Self Employed

Thank you Escapia!

Comments: Wonderful! Everyone is nice, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Pros:

Always can reach someone if I have an issue. 24 hour service!!

Cons:

I’m still confused on some accounting, but I’m sure I will get that straight soon!

Becky
Revenue Manager in U.S.
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

The ONLY software you need for Vacation Rentals!

Comments: This is your one stop shop. Escapia connects seamless to your VRBO listings, so you can manage headlines and guest inquiries right from Escapia. We have tried other softwares that boosted in helping our business, but the lack of support those companies gave us, ultimately made us stop using them. We have a million parts moving each day and we need a central hub that keeps everything on track. Escapia is that for us!

Pros:

The support we receive from the Escapia team has been like no other software companies we have used! The changing over to Escapia was hard for our team who have been using v12, but the Escapia team made sure we were comfortable being going live. The new rates manager is amazing! It makes setting and adjusting rates a breeze! No more looking at different windows and setting rate rules . Its all in one screen.

Cons:

We are missing some key reports we used in V12, but the Escapia team has listened to our requests and are working on new reporting for Escapia. Its a learning curve to switch software companies, but its been worth it.

Cathy
Owner in U.S.

Escapia is a powerful professional tool to help you run your businss

Comments: A powerful tool for the complete needs of a vacation rental management company, from providing guest quotes, customizing guest arrival experience, to managing accounts.

Pros:

The accounting side of this software is strong and a knowledgeable user has powerful tools. Owner statements are transparent and clearly structured. Correspondence is attractive and easy to customize. The various tools available for setting rates/manipulating rates are easy to use. The reservation grid is easy to understand, and the filters and quotes make the reservationists' work easier and more consistent. Integration with Glad Hospitality helps provide a good guest experience without much effort (once the initial setup is complete). The reports are informative and useful. Bank reconciliation tool is an absolute essential. Having used Escapia and other VRM software while working for other companies, when I started my own company, I knew the only software I wanted to use was Escapia.

Cons:

Features for automated or scheduled correspondence are weak. There is no "notes" area associated with owners for keeping a record of requests, authorizations, etc. Because it is a powerful system, to develop the skills necessary to fully take advantage of its many useful features means you need to invest some time and effort. That is not really a "con" to me. If you have a good tool, you want to learn to take full advantage of it. However, for a new user, it could seem a little scary. But we found that it's not terribly difficult to learn what you need to learn in order to successfully take advantage of the system as a basic user, and that if you want to stop there, you can and you'll still have a good system. It's worth putting in the work, though, to become a skilled user to take advantage of the full capabilities of the system.

Guest Experience Manager in U.S.

Very Strong System, But Outdated and Clunky

Comments: Overall our experience with Escapia (separate from Expedia or Homeowner) has been positive. The support and staff are great, though it feels like we have to call support for just about everything. It gets the job done solidly, but is seriously lacking in efficiency and design.

Pros:

The booking engine is strong and it is a well-established software. It never goes down and always performs its core functionalities. It has API connections with every supplier that we need. It also has trust accounting.

Cons:

It is old and dated with very few updates in the last four years. The reporting and rate engines are frustrating to use and it has a number of oddities that make training and using difficult. The lack of connection to Airbnb is also a serious issue along with the "Price Consitency" rules from Vrbo.

VP of Business Operations in U.S.

Great software that provides efficient property management

Comments: they are well integrated within the hospitality industry and have multiple software options for smaller companies.

Pros:

I like the features that it provides and the customer support (rep) that we receive. I like the maintenance app, the housekeeping dashboard, new owner portal, online university and dynamic pricing model that is in process (beta currently).

Cons:

At our size, some of the more customizable items that we want are not able to be created. the housekeeping app (shared with maintenance), is not as user friendly as the dashboard, however, the dashboard can be accessed online via a website.

Reservations Manager in U.S.

Escapia has worked great for our companies needs.

Comments: As our business has grown the software has made our day to day work easier and more streamlined. Escapia has been great about adding and updating the product on a regular basis with customers imput.

Pros:

We have used Escapia for years and have seen a lot of changes along the way. The software is easy to use and train new employees on.

Cons:

Over the years we have found the the customer service to be challenging and the software does not handle long term rentals easily.

Realtor in U.S.

Great software, so many options offered

Comments: Data

Pros:

There are so many tools offered. Feel like I have searched out most offered, but know so much more that can be utilized.

Cons:

Extremely date sensitive. Been looking for help from support on a tax issue and have not received a response after numerous requests.

Hayley
Vacation Planner in U.S.
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Best Overall Management Software

Comments: It makes the ease of making reservation easy for our staff overall and the guests have less wait time on the phone while making a reservation. The ease of adjusting rents and creating rate rules allows for more revenue at the end of each year without any mistakes.

Pros:

So many great things to say it is hard to know where to start. It is so easy to keep track of what is being completed where and by who. Always time stamps with names on holds, reservations, payments, refunds as well as email correspondence. The visual calendar is another added bonus because it gives a great overall picture of each home and dates that are and are not available so filing spots is very easy. The quick quote feature is fabulous as you can pick a home in the drop down menu and apply any filter and discounts that you already have up to any home easily. Web based is a very huge bonus because you are able to view any information on any device no matter where you are. The software also links up to many other sites so linking and sharing homes and rates is as easy as clicking a button and everything feeds right over. The quick search button at the top makes it very easy to find reservations that are valid or cancelled without having to use many steps.

Cons:

When adding some new charges they can be hard to track if you are not 100% sure which report that you should be running to find them. Processing revenue can be difficult at some times when guests are in house and reservations crossover between months. This is mostly because if you need to adjust a reservation and revenue has already been processed it can cause some errors with commissions. Just have to be extra aware of what you are doing to not make any mistakes.

Operations Coordinator in U.S.

Going Beyond a Necessary Evil

Comments: I like the changes we are seeing in Escapia. I still have some baggage from their past communication practices (starting around 2018) that have given me a lasting impression of a "like it or leave" attitude. By this, I mean that they would make sweeping changes that felt at odds with their service partners, with little window for feedback or interaction, all while knowing that there are few better alternatives to their platform. They've improved their communication since 2018, but I still find myself unsure if their changes are for the better of their PM clients. I think they are taking the right steps, however, and my trust is being rebuilt in them.

Pros:

I like the gradual commitment to improvement that Escapia has been implementing over the past year. I think the COVID-19 crisis prompted urgent action on improving their software, now that most people in the vacation rental industry are working remotely. The UI changes and business/performance dashboards have made navigating and interpreting information much better.

Cons:

The unit integration navigation still feels clunky. Thankfully, we don't have a substantial amount of 3rd-party apps that we need to integrate, but it would be nice to have a core integration hub that makes app navigation easier.

Joy
Director of Operations & Marketing in U.S.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Absolutely Over the Top Pleased with Escapia by HomeAway!

Comments: I made the decision that Escapia would suit our needs best (in Feb of 2014).The integration is very detailed, but I knew what the end goal was when I had researched Escapia. One determining factor in going with Escapia, was the fact that HomeAway was so active and aggressive in this industry. It only made sense to partner with the Giant and take advantage of all the opportunities it would offer my company. The things that I consider absolute PROS: They have automated all the tedious/time consuming processes such as rate building & yield management that I would spend days and hours on with our old software & now I do in about 30 minutes. I have the option of building my own rules & rate tiers, depending on our need to maximize occupancy & revenue. After my initial rules are built, I do not have to go in and spend 2 hours a day to make sure this is done..Escapia made it simple & it DOES the work for me. My saved time = revenue saved and made because I can now focus on new projects to produce new revenue streams. Escapia also has so many opportunities to partner with multiple booking sites, that I have "new eyes" looking and finding my company every hour of every day. For our marketing platform, I struggle with tracking and integrating between the time we developed a concept ->to putting it on our sites -> to launching the promotion(via any platform) ->to analytics->to eCommerce->to complete tracking. With our old software, it took sometimes a week to set all of that up from start to finish. With Escapia, I do it all at once, Again, so many saved hours and best of all ACCURATE Tracking and Conversion Reports & a websites that do what they are supposed to do: WORK. They have support that answer and listen to the issue and most of the time walk you thru it and find the problem immediately and "teach" you how to address and fix it. That is worth the integration itself. You have to do the work on the front end but after that it is pretty painless & we have more than made back the cost of the software in saved time, revenue, happy guests, our favorite: HAPPY OWNERS. The owner access is simple, easy & our owners are more than pleased with this aspect of Escapia & they have noticed the new and maximized exposure Escapia gives us. I can say without hesitation, I made THE BEST choice for our company and could not be more pleased and my expectations have been blown away by Escapia and what it gives me.

suzanne

Best software out there for Property Managers

Comments: WE are very proud to be a part of the Escapia partnership with their software we have experienced tremendous growth year over year. By providing an excellent product we can spend more time on the things that matter.

Pros:

Throughout the years our staff has worked with Barefoot, Property Plus and Property Boss. Escapia by far is the best choice for us. We like the grid view and the ease of reporting as well as the high level of support given by the customer service staff and account relations. If you advertise on HomeAway websites like VRBO the integration is seamless and easy. Great group of innovative individuals who are constantly trying to improve the software and stay ahead of the competitors

Cons:

Sometimes there are a few too many steps to get things done, but when you provide feedback to the support staff they will work to improve things. We really feel like partners with with Escapia team.

Katie
Director of Operations in U.S.

Great Software for Vacation Rental Business

Comments: Great software for a small to medium sized vacation rental business!

Pros:

Switching from our old PMS was handled very well by the implementation staff and we are so glad we made the move! The most important part to our decision to switch was the integration with VRBO/Homeaway and bring able to work with a website host/digital marketing agency that understands our PMS.

Cons:

The service order module is not set up well for how we run our maintenance staff. Our staff is not able to enter a task assigned to a unit number with an amount of time associated with it, that we can then transfer to an owner statement to be charged. There are too many fields that need to be filled out and it just doesn't make sense for us.

Brian
Managing Partner in U.S.

Best Overall PMS system today

Comments: After almost 4 years I have found them to be very responsive and very caring on helping us grow.

Pros:

Ease of use and strength in functionality

Cons:

Reconciliation and lack of out of the box solutions. All must be custom.

Bethany
Guest Relations Manager in U.S.
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

Love Escapia, excited for their new software

Comments: I have loved my experience with Escapia and VRBO! They have wonderful customer service and this software is very easy to use.

Pros:

I have so many great things to say about Escapia. My number one is customer support. If you can't figure something out immediately, give them a call and it will be fixed within minutes. We manage 70 vacation rental properties and use Escapia for pictures, descriptions, rates, everything! We recently attended one of their meetings where they announced they will be launching a new, more updated Escapia to combine their other softwares as well. I am very excited!

Cons:

Sometimes it will go out for a while, but they do always have it back up and running in a timely manner. There's nothing to say I like the least because they are always willing to fix anything.

Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

Great product, full of features

Comments: Great customer service. Very robust feature list. I couldn't possibly manage our rental list without a strong piece of software like Escapia.

Pros:

Escapia really is a full-service solution. Reservations, housekeeping, trust accounting...it's all in there and works together. I looked at several options before choosing Escapia and none of the others offered as complete a system. Also, they have amazing customer service. Tech support is great. They respond quickly and are very knowledgable.

Cons:

The biggest complaint I have isn't about Escapia, but about HomeAway. When HomeAway switched to secure messaging, it made it more difficult to deal with inquiries in Escapia. Also, there are of course some minor changes I'd like them to make to Escapia, but they are constantly improving it.

Gary
CEO in U.S.
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

We've built our whole company using Escapia. The sales and tech support teams are incredible.

Pros:

Easy to use. Good owner statement and reporting features. Grid based inventory. Support questions are immediately addressed.

Cons:

We need the ability to send correspondence from multiple email addresses. There should be a separate email address drop down menu box for each office, or for each unit somewhere in the set up. It's an odd feature to be missing, because everything else about every unit and office is customizable (the correspondence documents, the booking modules, the rate plans and the unit setup. It would be so great if each unit could be assigned to a "send from" email address so that confirmations and statements came from that email, or from the reservations agent in charge of managing that property.

Alexandra
Director of Operations in U.S.
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

Perfect for vacation rental management companies small to large!

Comments: I have used Escapia or V12 at several companies for more than 8 years and I think once you learn the basics, it is very easy to become a master user, and I keep finding new features and reports that are really helpful!

Pros:

The 3 best features of Escapia are 1. they are always updating and adding new features to be current with trends and needs of property manager. 2. They have absolutely the best support team of any software I have used to date. 3. The seamless integration with VRBO/HomeAway is unmatched with any other program!

Cons:

The upfront cost is steep especially given how many other web based programs charge per unit and not a huge upfront commitment. And the aesthetic of the site to me, is not very appealing and seems out of date.

Karrie
General Manager in U.S.
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

Escapia is by far the best software I have ever used!!

Comments: I have nothing but positive things to say about Escapia software. It is the best!! They are constantly making it better by doing upgrades and adding features to an already great platform! This software has great functionality and is easy to use. It integrates with our website so our guests can see live availability calendars. The automatic payment processing along with some many other features are huge time savers. The customer support is phananominal! I always get a live person who is knowledgeable and can quickly help me solve what ever challenge I am having! They always follow-up to make sure everything is working correctly and to be sure the resolution is working. I highly recommend Escapia! You will be happy you converted to it! I know we are!!

Pros:

Easy of use and Customer Support

Cons:

I can'tell think of anything I don't like.

Pamela
Owner in U.S.

Great integrative tool for property managers, it has allowed me to professionalize business systems.

Comments: All business information in one place.

Pros:

There is a lot to learn at first and there was good training classes. Most beneficial is knowing there is customer support to support you with any issues and you can get that support right away. They are also helpful in customizing to meet our needs. It also becomes intuitive as time goes on. I love how it's integrated with HA/VRBO and Glad as well as other network partners, it makes my life easier.

Cons:

Some limitations within correspondence templates. I wish there were ways to make the templates more professional, there are a lot of moving pieces within templates and I haven't found out how to lock in a template design.

Brittany
Manager of Operations in U.S.

Easy, efficient, and well worth the investment. We have been on for over 4 years now!

Pros:

Easy to use, constant updates with details/advanced notice and how-tos, many....MANY reports from which to choose. Great marketing API feeds for listing sites/software to help you succeed in the vacation rental space, color-coded reservation grid for easy filtering and tracking.

Cons:

The ability for Homeaway/VRBO brand to match back reservations on source - I pay for a secure software. The last thing I want is my data being stored, shared, and who knows what else by marketing platforms. While the reports are fantastic, sometimes it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own report that didn't cost an arm and a leg for information that's already in the system.

Ashley
Business Manager in U.S.

Amazing Software!

Comments: From the customer service line to the software everything runs seamlessly.

Pros:

Easy to set up and learn. Great reports!

Cons:

I have had a bad experience with the software to date.

Shawn
President in U.S.

Escapia Keeps Getting Better

Comments: The Escapia/HomeAway team has a great group of individuals that I believe truly care for the future and well being of our company as well as other property management companies. Escapia offers a great training program for new employees as well as ongoing support and training for existing users. Every facet of the software is being constantly improved. Reservationists enjoy the grid's flexibility and functionality. Housekeepers love the Housekeeping dashboard. The use of automatic payments and contracts have been gamechangers in saving time and improving efficiency. Overall, I'm not sure if you will find a better rental management software and team behind it for the money. We love it.

Pros:

Yield managment, training, uservoice, automatic payments

Cons:

Still think there's room for improvement on the service order side.