15 years helping Canadian businesses

TriNet Zenefits Reviews

About TriNet Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about TriNet Zenefits

Pros:

Had been one of the first users. Loved simplicity of the software.

Cons:

Some hiring documents generated contain risky errors. The information presented is not customizable enough for most businesses.

TriNet Zenefits ratings

4.4
3.9
4.2
4.2

7.9/10

TriNet Zenefits has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 820 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used TriNet Zenefits before?

Shae
Shae
Human Resources Director in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Comments: -Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros:

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons:

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Amanda
Amanda
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Our HR functions are centralized at Zenefits

Comments: Payroll, new hire paperwork, paid time off, and benefits administration are just some of the fundamental HR features managed by Zenefits. We may be a small group, but we're responsible for the same number of procedures as a large company. It's fantastic to have a system in place that keeps everything coordinated without requiring us to constantly monitor, update, calculate, and email each other.

Pros:

If your clients are willing to utilize Zenefits for everything from onboarding to benefit administration to payroll, you've found a superb all-in-one solution. When effectively implemented, Zenefits is all an organization needs to manage its workforce.

Cons:

Customers who have questions for their broker must use the built-in "help" function rather than get in touch with an individual directly. The current state of available learning management technologies and straightforward guidelines leaves much to be desired.

Stephanie
People Ops Partner in US

Zenefits Makes Payroll & Benefits Admin Easy

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Payroll and Benefits processes are almost entirely automated. We used to have spreadsheets on spreadsheets - but thanks to Zenefits, it's easier and more compliant.

Cons:

Zenefits is not very international contractor/employee friendly in terms of functionality.

Tiersa
Operatons in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype.

Comments: I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros:

Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons:

1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed. 2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help. 3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME! 4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly. 5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so. 6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense. 7. There is more but this will do for now.

TriNet Group Response

4 years ago

Sad to hear your experience was less than ideal Tiersa. We will use your feedback to improve training and the user experience.

joy
HR Manager in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Great for small HR department

Comments: My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR. The streamlined all-in-one features of Zenefits allowed us to drop outside consultants and service providers. It also significantly reduced internal hours spent on HR data entry and overall employee HR management. This was a huge ROI in terms of the money and time we saved.

Pros:

Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Cons:

Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

Alan
Alan
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

TriNet simplifies employee benefits, money, and policies

Comments: Trinet handles the tedious administrative tasks that arise. They're quite competent, and having a single, dedicated agent has simplified our interactions with them.

Pros:

Paychecks, tax documents, insurance information, spending accounts, and corporate policies are all conveniently housed in one location thanks to TriNet.

Cons:

When using my own device, I don't see the need to log in every day, therefore there may be room for improvement in settings like this. I realize this may be a matter of corporate policy, however it has been brought up in previous evaluations.

Tracy
Tracy
VP of Operations in US
Market Research Software, 201–500 Employees

Long time user of Zenefits

Comments: Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros:

What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons:

Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

Financial Services Software, 2–10 Employees

Love Zenefits!

Pros:

It's easy to use and keeps us compliant. It has brought up things we didn't even know we needed and helped keep us compliant.

Cons:

Customer service can be hard to reach, but their help center is robust and they have training courses to help.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for Startups

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I enjoed the ease of use of the platform. A user can easily navigate to what they are looking for and support was easy to get a hold of for questions.

Cons:

Not entirely aure this falls onto Trinet, if your organziation uses multiple providers for insurance you may have to switch between websites to manage your benefits.

Ryan
Customer Service in US
Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

Simple Product

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

They keep it very simple. There isnt a ton going on in the app so you dont really get lost in it

Cons:

It is very basic but that can be both a pro and a con. It can be a little clunky but not too bad

Jennifer
Director of Operations in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Life Saver

Comments: Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros:

Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons:

Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

Brooks
CEO in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Incredibly happy users

Comments: Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros:

Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons:

Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

Jenn
Director of Operations, Admin, & Finance in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Helped streamline our nonprofit operations

Comments: Great -- on the whole it has created so many efficiencies for me in payroll and HR management and we have easily saved money when I think of all the time saved.

Pros:

I save so much time on payroll and have fewer errors compared to when we manually calculated it and used a 3rd party accounting firm to handle our payroll. Year end tax documents -- especially for contractors receiving 1099s -- are also much less of a headache now. I've also saved a ton of time on HR operations - in particular new staff onboarding and documentation. It's much simpler for both me and the new staff.

Cons:

Customer service can be a little slow to respond, and setting up PTO for part-time employees was a little trickier and more time-consuming than I expected.

Human Resources, 11–50 Employees

Stay Away From This Company

Comments: I am filled with regret switching to Zenefits. We have spent 40+ hours easily setting things up. I can't disrupt our employees again with another switch. I woudl if I could.

Pros:

I like the idea of what they are trying to accomplish...a hub for HR and payroll. They missed the mark because they created a product that doesn't flow and is very difficult to use. The customer service has a 3 day min wait. If I could leave, I would in a heartbeat. Filled with regret.

Cons:

When you are trying to set up the core of your business and continue to function seamlessly, customer service should be available at all business hours. If you are lucky enough to get a calndly link, you can schedule, but there is usuallya minimum of 3 days to wait. This is so unacceptable. The product itself is clunky, disjointed and not at all intuitive. You have to go to different sections to see different things about an employee instead of clicking in tehri name and seeing everything related to their employment in one spot. Thet auto-approved our payroll on teh last day of teh pay cycle prior to teh day's end. That is crazy.

Mike
HR Manager in US
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Pros:

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons:

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Lauren
HR Director in
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

Comments: It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros:

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons:

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

Allen
Managing Director in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits payroll is very bulky. It is also limited and lacks functionality.

Comments: Zenefits is pretty low-tech masquerading as some high tech Payroll software. There's nothing that high tech about them and just about every person on the customer service side lacks basic knowledge of its functionality. It is a lot more confusing than Gusto and is nothing more than a series of modules built on Django, Javascript and jQuery with very basic databases that run on cron jobs. I can live with the product that Zenefits has despite all of its shortcomings but the people behind it need much better training. Their fake enthusiasm coupled with little to no knowledge of the platform, hr, or payroll is a huge turn off.

Pros:

Time & Attendance: Users are able to seamlessly clock in and out from their phones once they get familiar with Zenefits. PTO: PTO is simple and streamlined.

Cons:

Customer Service: The chat agents are a waste of time to talk to. The phone agents know very little but can at least put you on hold, ask their supervisor and learn as they go along. Pay Runs are akward but here is the process: 1. You need to approve your employees timesheets. 2. Timesheets need to be pushed to payroll. This requires some time. Looks like its set up on a cron job so if you just missed it you need to wait a few minutes for it to get pushed. 3. From there you add the deductions and reimbursements. If you don't have the types set up, you'll need to step away and set them up. There's no memo you can input once you add a deduction. For example, if its an employee purchase it doesn't allow you to describe what was purchased. 4. You approve the pay run, push it through and wait for confirmation. Another cron job most likely. PTO Policy is there but since its so easy to do, its subject to a lot of abuse. You cannot reimburse an employee in net earnings. The functionality just isn't there. You need to select whether employees clock in through an iPad or their phones. You can't mix and match. The app for an administrator is absolutely useless. There's not much you can do as an admin from your phone. Navigating is bulky. Instead of selecting your employee and seamlessly flowing through everything that relates to them, you need to first pick which module you want to use and toggle back and forth between modules.

Jai
COO in US
Supermarkets, 11–50 Employees

Zenefits is the perfect platform to manage your payroll, benefits, 401k, and HR for small businesses

Pros:

Zenefits is the perfect platform for any small to medium size business. I am an entrepreneur and Zenefits has allowed me to manage payroll, benefits, 401k, and HR from one user friendly platform. Their customer service is amazing, and I love the peace of mind of having there HR experts in my corner for any employee related issues. I have now used them for about 7 years with three different companies and I don't plan on going anywhere. Did I mention they also make all your payroll taxes for you? Well, they do, and I love it :)

Cons:

I would love if Zenefits would not only take deductions but have a feature to stop the deduction once the entire amount is collected. Currently I have to turn off the deduction once is met.

Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

Easy-to-use software takes the pain out of PeopleOps

Comments: I was thrilled to join a company that had already implemented Zenefits, because the product is dynamic and nimble, fitting our needs. We have been able to use many features, including benefits enrollment, payroll, reporting, integrations with our systems, onboarding, time and attendance and more. Whenever we've had a question we've been able to find the answer via the trainings provided, or by reaching out to the support team. We've also been impressed with features that Zenefits rolled out related to COVID 19 (like the PPP loan estimator, and Truework for health checks. It would be very painful to not have the tool - highly recommended for small and medium sized businesses.

Pros:

Zenefits is easy to implement and to use. Our team members rarely need any help with the product - it is clear what it can do and how it needs to get done. I appreciate that Zenefits allows us to integrate so many products in one spot (our ATS, learning management and performance management systems all have links back to Zenefits) and that it gets so much done for us. During COVID-19, we've onboarded 100 new employees in a virtual only setting, and much of the ease has been due to how much work Zenefits automates for us.

Cons:

Sometimes configuration of payroll or benefits can feel tricky - however, my experience with it has been better in Zenefits than other platforms.

Lisa
HR Director in US

Excellent UX - Lacks on the service provided

Pros:

The platform itself is incredibly easy to use. The time off feature was extremely valuable and appreciated by employees. Open Enrollment via the platform was easy for the employee and running reports was incredibly efficient. Overall, the platform was well made and well managed.

Cons:

The payroll "integration" was never accurate so we couldn't rely on it. The service that Zenefits provided, from a Customer Service standpoint, was unreliable. We always had issues, whether it be random deletion of employees from our benefits, adding dependents randomly to our benefits, an agent assuring us something was taken care of and finding it was not, being provided incorrect info, taking long periods of time to correct errors, getting different answers from different reps, etc..., we could not rely on their service. We had to duplicate our efforts so frequently that the "automated" service Zenefits provided was irrelevant. Also, while the data migration was provided in a bulk download, we were missing documents and had to reactivate our account multiple times to retrieve missing documents. Nowadays, local insurance brokers are providing robust services with Open Enrollment platforms that integrate with most systems - Zenefits and the headache of their customer service doesn't provide value any longer.

Venugopal
Technical Support in India
Insurance Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!

Pros:

In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons:

This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

Robyn
COO in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)

Comments: Worth taking a look at.

Pros:

User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons:

Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

A Must-have for small businesses with employees. Gone are the days of Spreadsheets and file cabinets

Comments: As a small business with only a few employees, it REALLY helps with getting our HR stuff together.

Pros:

So first off, we use zenefits on a daily basis for just about all of our HR functions. The support is great for when we've run into the very rare bug, and sales is always quick to get back to me. They regularly release new features and improve existing ones. They are also VERY receptive to user feedback and idea suggestions.

Cons:

Ya know, I'm not one to nitpick, but i have run into a few small issues lately. Primarily, the issue we have now is that we've been on Zenefits for a few years now and have older "Legacy Pricing". We however do all HR tasks on Zenefits EXCEPT payroll. Well fast forward a few years, their payroll product actually looks fairly promising.... until i learned that in order to start using their Payroll service, i have to first be updated to their newer more expensive billing plan. Bah.

Sandy
Channels-as-a-Service Manager in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 11–50 Employees

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

Comments: An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros:

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons:

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Dustin
Marketing Manager in
Management Consulting, 51–200 Employees

Great concept but poor customer service and execution.

Comments: Loved the idea of the concept, was basically sold on idea to have a PTO software that we could use for employees to use without a fee.. then once all were onboard, we had to pay per month and now you can't even call for assistance when you have a problem.

Pros:

Has a mobile app that employees can access from virtually anywhere, can see a shared calendar that will display in outlook with employees scheduled off.

Cons:

No customer service phone number, no email addresses for specific reps, customer service must be contacted online thru a job ticket (if an account is locked out, can't even submit ticket for contact and no phone number to call), managers don't have access to the employee review sections (must grant managers admin rights, which then opens the door for past requests to be deleted by an employee.. big problem), system was not set up properly and allows for managers to approve time off when employees did not have the time available.. no pop up that would ask "are you sure?" type thing, can not print an employees PTO time, multiple tabs to even get total time taken/available.