About BigCommerce

A leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate, and grow.

Learn more about BigCommerce

Pros:

It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

Cons:

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening.

BigCommerce ratings

4.1

8.2/10

BigCommerce has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 249 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used BigCommerce before?

Micah
Micah
Retail, Self Employed

BigCommerce has made my online business possible

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall I have had a great experience. When I had some integration issues with my payment processor, they were easy to chat with and very helpful.

Pros:

I like that it helps my small business look bigger. It’s easy to navigate and use on a daily basis.

Cons:

There are only a handful of Free templates so many sites look similar.

Amadou saikou
Ingenieur informaticien in Guinea

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: BigCommerce e-commerce software that I highly recommend

Pros:

This is the third (3erm) year that my BigCommerce store is still generating sales for me, this software is good

Cons:

Honestly, I have been using this software for 3 years without any problem

Max
Director of Systems Operations in US
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

Terrific admin UI and purchaser experience - BigCommerce will not fix bugs customers find

Comments: The software has been solid for our customers and the administration UI is very easy to use. We have outstanding technical issues that have been open for more than a year and are still not resolved (HTTP status 500 errors that intermittently are returned from their backend APIs) - they say they cannot see the errors in their backend logs and we must send them examples even though we have this happen 10-12 times a day, continually, for over a year. Their Stripe integration does not include the email address field when they send payment requests to Stripe, so customers do not get a credit card receipt from Stripe. Requesting this be changed resulted in them telling us only 1 other customer wanted this feature and that we should switch to Authorize or Brain Tree because it works with those processors) - this felt like a move to downplay the use of Stripe and push us towards vendors that BigCommerce perhaps prefers? It is hard to believe we are the only customer that would want Stripe to send CC receipts to customers - their built-in receipt mechanism does not allow a store to include the last 4 digits of the credit card in the receipt the store sends, which means customers have to call in to customer support when they are organizational customers to figure out which CC is used - a very poor experience for our customers and for our customer support team.

Pros:

It is highly customizable, has most of the features you'd expect in an e-commerce solution, and the APIs are well-documented.

Cons:

* Seemingly easy solutions to known issues get stuck in their support bureaucracy and disappear * Their logging does not allow software engineers nor CSRs to see the specifics of errors - customers must provide client-side stack traces to help them find errors on their backend (for example, API calls that return HTTP status 500)

Jason
Internet Marketing Analyst in UK
Pharmaceuticals, 201-500 Employees

An outstanding ecommerce platform with great pricing and an amazing quality

Pros:

The platform is easy to use, and non-trained or non-technical users are able to use the platform. Comes in a very good pricing structure which is appealing to small and medium-sized businesses. Great website builder and CMS, perfect for creating products and product categories and managing SKUs. Order management, payment processing, shipping and taxation are very straightforward and useful for users. The platform is highly customizable and is one of the best eCommerce platforms in the market.

Cons:

The pricing for the platform is great but every add-on or plugin is paid which adds a huge cost for businesses as they expand, which makes them almost pay the same amount as other eCommerce platforms. Reporting and analytics are very basic, and not customizable as per analyst standards. Changing themes or anything within the backend requires expertise in HTML/CSS.

Gnankoye
Data Engineer in Guinea

BigCommerce e-commerce software

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: BigCommerce is software that I highly recommend for all e-merchants who want to create electronic store

Pros:

Thank you BigCommerce for helping me launch my very first online store. I am very grateful to the developers of this software.

Cons:

To be honest, I was new to e-commerce but with BigCommerce I was able to create my store without any problem

Henriette
Digital - Public Diplomacy in Guinea

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: BigCommerce super nice software to create your e-commerce store easily

Pros:

Thank you BigCommerce for allowing me to create my e-commerce store that brings me customers every day. Best e-commerce software

Cons:

I have never had a problem with BigCommerce since I launched my store on this software

Ibrahima Sory
Consultant SAS - Conformité RGPD in Guinea

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: BigCommerce is a very good e-commerce software that I recommend

Pros:

BigCommerce is very effective in e-commerce, it is a good software in the creation of its online store. Mobile Access is very good

Cons:

I personally have never had a problem with BigCommerce until now

Bintou
Chargée RH in Guinea

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: BigCommerce is very ideal to create its electronic store and very easy to use with the faster payment

Pros:

This is the first software where I created my very first e-commerce store when I was struggling, and until now I receive impressive orders

Cons:

I've been using BigCommerce for several years now but I still haven't had any problem without lying

Jackie
Business Manager in US

Happy over-all.

Comments: Over all I am happy with BigCommerce.

Pros:

I like the store I created. I like the creative freedoms in BigCommerce. I find my way around easily. I like that I could use Quickbooks to process payments. At the time I started my online store that was not possible with Shopify.

Cons:

You should be able to add locations to invoices. I don't print packing slips, just the invoices. I have to hand write the locations on the invoice for the person pulling items for the order. I wish I could sort the order of the items and have it stay that way! It takes a bit of time for the average Joe to learn their way around on BigCommerce. Once I got past the learning curve it became quite comfortable.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: OpenCart was very limited in its functions.

Switched From: OpenCart

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Because I wanted to integrate the payments with Quickbooks.

Justin
Justin
Director of E-commerce & Marketing in US
Retail, 201-500 Employees

TYLER'S x BigCommerce

Comments: BigCommerce has been absolutely phenomenal. We're glad to be based in Austin, Texas alongside some of the BigCommerce team. Their support staff has been instrumental in our ability to adjust when a problem arises, and find a long term solution to ensure our ongoing success.

Pros:

BigCommerce has developed a simplistic software that's allowing small and mid size companies to maneuver at scale. We've been able to learn and adapt new strategies as their team continues to open new capabilities to developers and as they push development in their app market. Fast and reliable apps will be key to building and maintaining the next evolution of ecommerce businesses and having that infrastructure in place will be pivotal in the years to come.

Cons:

When we teamed up with BigCommerce, they were a newer competitor in the market. Some similar companies were able to offer functionalities that were limiting to our initial growth through ecommerce. Being a brick and mortar based business since 1978, we had a multitude of functionalities needed to keep up with our physical locations. Although they couldn't offer these features out of the gate, they were quick to get them implemented and worked closely with us to resolve our issues.

Margaret
Margaret
UX Analyst in US
Design, 51-200 Employees

Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products

Comments: The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

Pros:

I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

Cons:

Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

Mark
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store.

Comments: I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

Pros:

The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

Cons:

There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: I liked the layout and template choices more with Bigcommerce.

Switched From: Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: For my use, it was the superior product.

Nathan
Nathan
Marketing Manager in US
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

Comments: We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros:

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons:

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Alternatives Considered: Adobe Commerce, WooCommerce and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: Note: We switched from Lightspeed's integrated e-commerce offering but still utilize their cloud POS and inventory management software (connected to Bigcommerce via API). We switched because Bigcommerce offered greater scalability than Lightspeed's own solution, especially concerning the ease of managing our inventory across multiple marketplace channels.

Switched From: Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Bigcommerce ultimately offered the greatest financial value in terms of entry-level features and marketplace functionality that were available to us as a growing small business.

Rick
CEO in US
Computer Hardware, 51-200 Employees

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

Comments: For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros:

BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons:

Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Lisa
Retail, 2-10 Employees

It's been a nice long relationship

Comments: Overall, it's been pretty smooth sailing. Customer service is ALWAYS there and trying to help the best they can. They never leave me in the dark. Way easier and faster site than dealing with Magento.

Pros:

I have used Bigcommerce for over 8 years. Overall, I think it works better and at a more reasonable cost than other related platforms.

Cons:

I have 1k parent skus with 11k child skus. It will not import my large spreadsheet. So if there is a major price change from my brands, it's impossible to import my vendor's .csv or excel sheet. We have to update each regular price and sale price one by one. Takes way too much time to permanantly discount items / sales too.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: Magento was a never ending money pit and operated very slowly.

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Shopify charges fees for every sale. Overall with all the apps you need to buy with Shopify, Bigcommerce had more features out of the box. I still had to buy 4-5 apps. But I would have had to invest much more money with Shopify. Which wouldn't be enough money left for me to operate the rest of my business.

Jason
Printing, 2-10 Employees

Easy to use but they didn't have my back

Comments: At first it was great, but as they got bigger they didn't seem to value my business the same way and forced me to pay almost 3 times what I had agreed to. I was happy to switch to a competitor when I did.

Pros:

I liked that it was very easy to figure out. It was updated regularly and laid out nicely. I built my first e-commerce store on my own using this software.

Cons:

I kept hitting walls with what I wanted to do. Some of the features were limiting like "Options" and I kept hoping they would improved them. They also made a change to their pricing structure and took away Customer Groups on the plan I was on. It was $29/mo and then all of a sudden it was $79/mo. I wish they grandfathered me in. When I called to complain or work something out, they had a take it or leave it attitude... so I left it.

Retail, Self Employed

Easy to use and scale

Comments: We have been with BigCommerce for six years now and have had very minimal downtime. The rare instances we've had to contact customer support have been handled quickly. Support forums and customer facebook group monitored by BC have been a tremendous help when troubleshooting or looking for ways to customize our online store.

Pros:

Out of the box, BigCommerce has more built in features than other online carts out there. Pretty straightforward setup making it fairly easy to get up and running in little time.

Cons:

Not as easy to customize themes/store interface. When you edit the source code you need to make sure you document what was done as the changes don't carry over when you update the theme of your site.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify Plus and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: We wanted to lessen the time required to update and maintain our ecommerce site so we could spend our time and money on marketing and other efforts.

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Out of the box, Bigcommerce offers more built-in features that I would need an app for in Shopify which adds to the cost and slows down the site.

Tom
Head of IT in US
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees

It Does The Job. What You Would Expect For An Ecommerce Site.

Comments: We have been using BigCommerce for quite some time now. No so thrill about it nor are we dissatisfied with the platform. For what we need, it does the job. But we would not make it our go-to platform if we need specific function or customization. It seems there's almost little to no guide out there if we want to customize. We have to seek a developer who knows how to customize BigCommerce and even then, they charge quite a bit for what we needed. Would recommend for people who want a basic ecommerce site. But if you want to have customization, Big Commerce is not the way to go.

Pros:

It is quick to set up. Easy for a non-technical person to manage when starting out with little to no experience in ecommerce. Has everything you would expect from an e-commerce platform. Great layout for product and checkout page.

Cons:

Customization is very limited. Even when you try to get some tech support from their team. They tell you they're not developer and would suggest some options with using their partners services. There's very little help if you want to customize basic attributes. The platform setup is quite limited if you want to change specific part of the layout.

Alana
VP in US

Definitely better than Shopify

Pros:

I like the customer support, usually they can help with any problem. Their stores do a good job out of the box but for me, with over $10,000 products, it was a headache!

Cons:

I guess everyone is always looking for more flexibility. Their confirmation, invoice, etc. emails are the worst!

Alternatives Considered: Adobe Commerce and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: BC did more out of the box, our OScommerce store required so much customization.

Switched From: osCommerce Online Merchant

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Price, service, ease of use.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Front-end Developer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Love it!

Pros:

We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Cons:

There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: Lack of service and support for the product.

Switched From: AspDotNetStorefront

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Better customization options for our business at the time.

Renata
Digital Account Manager in US

Great E-Commerce Solution!

Comments: It's a pleasant and delightful experience. It is a robust e-commerce solution for B2B, B2C and Wholesalers.

Pros:

At our agency, we were used to working with WooCommerce, Shopify and we had never really worked with BigCommerce. Until we decided that it was time to step things up for one of our clients. We had a delightful surprise to see that BigCommerce is one of the most complete platforms out there, that is extremely user friendly whilst being robust and complete. You have every type of solution you can imagine within your platform. From Wholesale B2B to a simple one page shop, you can build it all. BigCommerce offers amazing templates you can choose from, and also the Cornerstone which is a blank canvas. As an agency, we've gone through the partnership process and we are officially a part of BigCommerce marketplace!

Cons:

What I don't like is how the development can be a bit different than what we're accustomed to, and not as user friendly as Wordpress. For instance, on Wordpress our team can set up the background in a friendly way for our customers to use and manipulate sections without the need of a developer 24hs helping them. Now as far as BigCommerce goes, the way some pages are set up require you to have an intermediate understanding of HTML if you want to manipulate some text and imagery. I find this quite difficult since our clients are the ones changing content on the website once we hand it off to them.

Operations Manager in Canada
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

Comments: In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

Pros:

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

Cons:

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

Alternatives Considered: WooCommerce and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Gift Card feature out of the box.

Adam
IT Manager in US
Public Safety, 2-10 Employees

BigCommerce Review

Comments: It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros:

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons:

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the difference. You have to do that outside BigCommerce software. Our website has been live on BigCommerce for about 4 weeks now and we just experienced our fist "outage" in over 5 years. So I am not optimistic about uptime since the site has already gone down once, and it has only been live for 4 weeks. Using BigCommerce it is hard to search for and find orders, even if you have an order number you are redirected to the "advanced search". Instead of being able to type in an order number and find the order you have to type in the number, wait for the advanced search page to load then type in the order number again. Come...on...guys. The same with product search. I can copy and paste a product name directly from our storefront, search in BigCommerce, then I get redirected to another "advanced search" page. Where I have to enter the SAME SEARCH again, then I get results. We are on an "enterprise" plan that in some ways, has less features than a store we run on a "basic" Shopify plan for less than 1/3 the cost. Inventory tracking is also not great.

Electra
Ceo in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Love it over woo commerce

Comments: If was fine as long as I had a web developer helping

Pros:

The type of editing are seemingly endless

Cons:

Unless you are web developer and wen designer it is very hard to customize your website alone.

Alternatives Considered: Wix

Reasons for Choosing BigCommerce: Thought it would be easier and more stable

Switched From: WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Felt it was the best option at the time

Garrett
CEO in US
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees

Great for rapid growth

Comments: Postive. I have been using it for 6+ years already and do not see any reason to leave. it has grown with me over the years.

Pros:

Bigcommerce is easy to implement and one of the most versatile ecommerce/inventory/web store/website builder/order management platforms on the market. They are built for you to grow and will work for a startup or for a enterprise.

Cons:

I dont like the way they announce new features. Sometimes the degrade a feature but the only way to find out is to attend a "town hall" instead they should just email all users a list of features that are being updated or degraded.

Alternatives Considered: Shopify

Reasons for Switching to BigCommerce: Bigcommerce had a lower fee with more features included. they do not take a percentage of each sale like shopify tries to.