15 years helping Canadian businesses

Workday Adaptive Planning Reviews

About Workday Adaptive Planning

Business budgeting software that provides a company with the financial and operational information it needs to make better decisions.

Learn more about Workday Adaptive Planning

Pros:

The basic plan option is solid for a SMB, though there are some individual bells and whistles that I would like it to have like Office Connect that require a more expensive membership.

Cons:

Setting up Adaptive Insights is a crucial, timely, and difficult process. However, the time you put into building your instance initially saves time and pays dividends in the future.

Workday Adaptive Planning ratings

4.2
4.5
4.4
4.4

8.4/10

Workday Adaptive Planning has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 195 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Workday Adaptive Planning before?

Ben
Ben

Great Product

Comments: We are going into our third budget cycle using Adaptive and it has made our process much more efficient. Prior to using Adaptive we played budget ping pong, bouncing spreadsheets back and forth and then once we landed on a final version the Finance team consolidated the numbers. Adaptive is great because you can see the impact of a change to the consolidated budget in real time. This is a great software for the Finance team as well as the budget / business managers.

Pros:

There are many great features including: audit trails, notes, role permissions and security, the ability to quickly create versions, great technical support, and it’s cloud based.

Cons:

There is a report builder in Adaptive and it’s easy to use. However, I do feel like they have focused on making improvements in other areas and the reporting hasn’t made as much progress. I do think this is one area that could use some improvements.

Dominic
Senior Manager, Finance Systems and Analysis. in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Adaptive Review

Comments: It was good. I will definitely work on Adaptive again in the future.

Pros:

The architecture is really good. The ability to save the data and propagate it throughout the system was a plus. Additionally, the dimensions in reports and seeing differences between the dimensions were very useful.

Cons:

The personnel and TBH list were in two different model lists. It is preferred if the employees, titles, etc were dimensions s nice that is the largest expense of our business. The reports by the employee and by account were difficult to use.

Kelly
National Trainer in US
Real Estate, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Not great on lower level user side

2.0 last month New

Comments: I don't love it, but eventually got the hang of it. We use it for budgeting, and it's not the easiest to understand or plug things in. For team members that are new to the process in general, it makes it worse than it needs to be, which isn't my favorite. I hope it has better benefits for other team members though.

Pros:

It looks nice, and it theoretically should have capability to use data year over year. That would be nice, for the future.

Cons:

It's hard to use, understand, navigate, and figure out what is going on. For an onsite team member doing data entry, it's just way harder than it should be in my opinion.

Stefan
Finance Analyst in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

Budget made easy

Pros:

We use Adaptiv for our budgeting purposes. Their importing function makes it easy for users to upload data for analysis. Adaptiv planning has made our budgeting planning easy!

Cons:

There were a few bugs in the past, but they have been resolved.

Jonny
Sr. Analyst, FP&A in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

An FP&A Dream Tool

Comments: I will always recommend Adaptive to FP&A professionals. Once you use it and truly understand it, I'm sure you will do the same. There is little wonder why they are a leader in the SaaS space.

Pros:

A cloud-based tool that enables you to forecast and budget different scenarios. OfficeConnect (an add-on feature) allows you to create reports directly in Excel and increases overall team efficiency.

Sameer
Systems Accountant in New Zealand
Chemicals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Adaptive User

Comments: excellent tool for forecasting, budgeting and reporting

Pros:

Very easy to use and set up as well, also easy to able to be deployed across the business and user training required is minimal.

Cons:

to start with it is cloud based and very easy to begin with

Robert
Robert
Finance Analyst III in
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Adaptive provides meaningful insight into our financial data!

Comments: Using Adaptive is a great experience! It's easy to learn, and once you try it, you will love it. I can forecast monthly , quarterly or whenever I like. Because my operational metrics, which drive our revenues and expenses, are also in Adaptive, I feel we get closer to our actual's each month. We have simplified our monthly reporting process from 6 days, to about an hour and a half. That extra time can be used to analyze the data, which is much more rewarding than ticking and tying numbers to a report. Our dashboard is solid and tells a story for our leaders. I love it!

Pros:

Ease of use Speed (refreshing and processing) Automatic load of our financial data using a connector Office Connect - an excel add in that allows me to run my financials in an instant Adaptive Insights support personnel are amazing! I get a call back very quickly if I have a problem, and I don't feel like I'm being rushed when I ask other questions

Cons:

The sheets, which display our data across time, would be fantastic if I could add a YTD column anywhere I like. I would like to see my sheets display some simple graphs, which would allow me to display trends pictorially while reviewing with my customers.

Brad
Brad
Sr. Director, Finance in US
Biotechnology, 51–200 Employees

Outstanding Planning and Reporting Platform

Comments: We plan at a very granular level, and Adaptive's formulas and overall approach to modeling has made this tool a pleasure to work with. Like any new tool, it took our team a little bit of time (~3 months) of getting used to it, but this is simply a tool we can't live without now. In addition to the feature set, the customer support is outstanding. Very responsive to questions and highly knowledgeable on a variety of topics.

Pros:

Feature set is very strong. Customer support is among the best in the industry. Highly responsive to detailed technical questions.

Cons:

Like any new platform, it took our team a few months after go-live to really utilize the power of the tool, but now it simply a resource that we can't live without.

Joel Neil
Joel Neil
Specialist Recruiter in UK
Media Production, 10,000+ Employees

Powerful

Comments: It helped us to give real time reports to management that helped them to get financial planning solutions.

Pros:

Very easy to use reporting and real-time consolidation that helps planning ahead. Mostly used for reporting to high management, and each time it provided fast and amazing solutions. Has lots of features.

Cons:

Limited customisation and overall pricing could be the only con but works really well with large companies.

Kevin
Kevin
Finance Director in
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

We've had great experiences and success with Adaptive Insights

Comments: We're a large corporation with multiple lines of business. Our main goal was to simplify our annual budgeting process; to make it easier on the end users, give them ownership of their budgets and to cut down on the time it took to put the whole budget together. Adaptive exceeded those expectations. Overall it's been great and I would highly recommend it.

Pros:

Easy to implement and maintain. Easy for end users to understand how to use the software and the models. Give you instant access to "the whole picture". OfficeConnect is great for reporting.

Cons:

Some admin functions are still a little tedious. The built-in reporting module needs some upgrading, but it's adequate.

Senior Financial Analyst in US
, 501–1,000 Employees

Flexible and Comprehensive Planning and Reporting

Comments: I've been using Adaptive Planning for 4 years and at 2 employers. The software has not only improved the accuracy and accountability of our budgeting, forecasting and reporting, but has saved thousands of hours of time.

Pros:

The software is flexible. It can be developed and managed internally or you can work with external experts if needed. I like that the cloud software is continuously improving and developing to meet the needs of its customers. There are new releases every six months that improve its functionality based on customer needs and requests. And more importantly, all updates are done on the cloud so that there is no need for the IT department to get involved.

Cons:

There aren't many things specific to the software that I don't like. I would say that the most difficult part about using this software is managing the requests from management so that it doesn't compromise the value of the software.

Jonathan
Sr. Analyst, FP&A in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Powerful software, makes life easier, business insights more accessible

Comments: I have previous experience using Hyperion, Peoplesoft, and Microsoft Excel to create and maintain financial models. As flexible as regular spreadsheets are, it was always hard to get everybody on the same page, referencing the same numbers, using the same version. I have been using Adaptive Planning for about 1.5 years now, with about 1 year as a systems administrator for the product. FP&A has truly become simplified. This tool has saved hours upon hours every month, as well improved accuracy and timeliness of reports. This allows us to function better as a business unit, and make more proactive models and decisions. My one gripe with Adaptive is their customer support. I have had a hard time getting several issues resolved in a timely manner. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend Adaptive to anybody stuck in "spreadsheet land"--there really is a better way.

Pros:

One source for all models and reported numbers. Interconnected data makes it easy to see the full effect of any changes, large or small.

Cons:

Customer support needs to work on responsiveness.

Andrew
Andrew
Senior Director of Finance in US
Internet, 201–500 Employees

Strong Tool that Keeps Improving

Pros:

I like that adaptive has continued to innovate and improve their product over time. The basic plan option is solid for a SMB, though there are some individual bells and whistles that I would like it to have like Office Connect that require a more expensive membership

Cons:

Learning to speak the adaptive "language" is a big barrier to entry from an employee perspective, we become afraid to change the model for fear of breaking it so we aren't leveraging all we have available to us.

Gino
CFO in
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Time Saver

Comments: Although it takes some dedicated time and experience to set this product up I would say it is the top time saving piece of software I have ever used. I was able to setup our company plan with limited assistance from Adaptive. The assistance I did receive was top notch and always available with short advance notice. I opted to use a Adaptive consultant and deal with her on the phone.
The product has been nothing but a time saver. It pays for itself many times over on a monthly basis. Being a startup I am constantly running new spins and versions of the budget and there is no way I could run as many scenarios using just excel. Days worth of work are reduced to hours. Like I said, it pays for itself many times over. I currently run a static budget and forecast on a monthly basis. I also run a one year rolling forecast that I will easily roll into my 2017 budget at year end. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to any of my fellow finance professionals.

Pros:

Easy to run scenarios. Copy the forecast and make changes as necessary. Reporting is a breeze and no problems to do all kinds of variance analysis.

Cons:

It's complicated to get up and running. You need a dedicated resource to take the time to learn the product. I would say my biggest issue is the weak help manuals.

georgeta
director , financila reporting,audit & tax in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

flow and transparency for FP&A

Comments: I've been using Adaptive since 2011, and I am fully satisfied with the Adaptive suit. Every year they are improving and developing the suit of services and product. I might be biased but the ease of use of the platform is really what's important for me. The flow and transparency of the data is equally important. I don't think I could be as good as I am when it comes to FP&A and reporting if it wasn't for using Adaptive.

Pros:

everything- ease of use

Cons:

none

Justin
Finance Business Partner in UK
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great tool for budgeting

Comments: An excellent tool for budgeting once you have put in the time to learn to use it, you always have the feeling there is more to the software than you know how to use.

Pros:

It is super flexible, allowing the user to enter costs by category, department/dimension/cost centre and easily switch between views. You can write little formula to budget by run rate, uplift by a percentage or similar to prior year phasing. You just need to learn a few rules.

Cons:

It does not interface well with Workday itself, there was no way I could import staff basic salary into AP from Workday by department and employee for instance.

Mike
Finance Director in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Best Planning Tool Period

Comments: We chose Adaptive over competitors because it's in the cloud, it's customizable, and the price was right. It has improved every aspect of the FP&A function within our company. Our budgeting cycles are shorter, our data is more reliable, and analysis and reporting are more real time.

Pros:

Easy user adoption. Customizable. Reporting is sophisticated but not complicated.

Cons:

N/A

Sandy
Financial Analyst in US
Insurance Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Adaptive is a must-have for any FP&A department!

Comments: FP&A responsibilities - specifically budgeting and forecasting but also building out models and creating new versions for our analysts to use.

Pros:

It has made our budgeting and forecasting process much better. We save so much time with our forecasts, which allow us to spend more time updating them meaningfully every month.

Cons:

I would love to see Adaptive connect with Salesforce behind the scenes. At the moment we have to reconcile the variances between the two manually monthly.

Alex
CEO in Ecuador
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Adaptive Planning the best FP&A platform

Comments: We implemented 20 customers using Cognos, Oracle and SAP. Adaptive was a huge discovery for us. Is an amazing solution. The best for all parties is that Adaptive is really administered for Finance people despite other software.

Pros:

Ease of use. Thought from Finance to Finance people

Cons:

It´s not available for on premise environments.

Maria
Call Center Manager in US
, 501–1,000 Employees

If you are looking to move away from spreadsheets and have one source for your financial data and reporting data, I highly suggest looking into Adaptive Planning.

Pros:

It has all the features you would expect in your financial tool and they are constantly upgrading and adding addiitonal features. Customer support has been excellent and they actually seem to care about their customers.

Cons:

Reporting functionality within the system could be enhanced. The native reporting is not that easy to use, would prefer better canned reporting functionality.

Eutiquio
Data Analyst in Philippines
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51–200 Employees

Reliable and easy to use tool for data business planning

Pros:

It has easy-to-use features that are good for reporting, planning, and data visualization.

Cons:

The only that I don't like with this software is that it freezes and crashes on my computer. But I think I need upgrades on my computer. Overall, the software is good.

Flavio
Financial Controller in
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51–200 Employees

Good product ignore you are a serious user.

Comments: Extremely flexible planning and reporting tool. Requires good knowledgeable about (I) the business, (ii) company's finance and accounting practices and (iii) ERP and ancillary systems.

Amy
Business Analyst in US
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51–200 Employees

Very Flexible

Comments: We love the many options and flexibility that we have with Adaptive. Everyone that we have worked with has been awesome!

Pros:

Flexibility

Matthew
Director of Sales in Australia
Computer Software

Easy-to-use, finance owned, superior to Excel. This must be reviewed.

Pros:

It is easy-to-use so we don't need any expensive technical people to maintain it. Our management and finance team own the entire solution. It is also very scalable from small organisations to large multinational multi-billion dollar revenue organisations. Scalable in the context of - price, performance, functionality and integration.

Cons:

A few months ago I would have said the reliance on Java, but that has now been removed. It's happy days for us Adaptive customers.

Frank
fpa manager in US
Insurance Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Adaptive is overall a great tool. I'd like to see the UI improved to be more on par with new tech.

Comments: Makes my job a lot easier. I was able to distil the core KPIs of my business and report on those instead of simple reporting top-line and bottom-line without strong data behind these numbers

Pros:

Good versioning and flexibility Import/Export is simple Easy to collaborate Nice customization options

Cons:

User interface is frustrating and dated Lack of simple undo Cell history should save information from prior versions