15 years helping Canadian businesses

About CANVAS

Canvas by Instructure is a cloud-based learning management system for every stage and style of education.

Learn more about CANVAS

Pros:

I can find answers to just about any question I have very quickly with the online community or I can call and get direct help. If I can think of it, Canvas has a way to do it.

Cons:

Also students sometimes 'get lost' on Canvas, and upload their work in the wrong place, try to communicate via alternative channels, etc. Students also complain about poor mobile layouts.

CANVAS ratings

4.4
4.3
4.4
4.5

8.5/10

CANVAS has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 3,933 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used CANVAS before?

Filter reviews (3,933)

Somenath
Somenath
associate in India
Education Management, Self Employed

My personal review after 2 years of using it.

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall experience is good if you just ignore little chunks its very interesting and usefull product for everyone.

Pros:

Its user friendly , Mobile accessible, Rich content management, Discuss feature and forums and regular updates and improvement.

Cons:

I faces most of the time customization challenges and integration complexity and cost consideration.

Destiny

Canvas is worth it!

5.0 last month New

Comments: Great experience! I’m even using Canvas at the Masters level.

Pros:

I love the ease of use of Canvas. It is easy to navigate, easy to submit assignments, easy to email professors and others classmates, easy to access grades, class information, etc.

Cons:

Nothing- I love the app and desktop version altogether. Love how I receive email notifications when grades are posted assignments are graded, emails are received, class announcements etc.

Christine
Member owner in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

better dashboard organization for Students needed

3.0 last month New

Pros:

I like how it is a utility once learned to obtain a lot of useful data.

Cons:

Dashboards should be user configurable since the default is not user friendly for all student to see what's most important to them.

Rachel
Professor in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Canvas, a strong learning management platform

Pros:

So far (8 years and about 40 courses) Canvas has been indestructible. I can access it anytime, from laptop or iphone. I use it for all my course management needs, including giving them feedback on their writing, interactive lessons, social annotation, and grading. It's been versatile and is fairly easy to learn. Support, when called upon, is prompt and helpful.

Cons:

There are a few little glitches. Sometimes a grade doesn't "take" for one student on one assignment, and I have to go into the grades spreadsheet to add it. Occasionally it has trouble displaying one student in a class. I think this is related to their name format. But on the whole it's solid, and when it glitches, Support is available.

Kim
Interventionist in US

Canvas in public education - 1st grade and school wide

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Canvas is an amazing application my district purchased to do online learning and make it easy for students to access lessons and digitial resources. It is user friendly, specially for a 1st grader! And teachers are able to navigate their lessons and assignments easily.

Cons:

I wish you were able to personalize the page a little more to suit students. Such as having a pk-1st page and a 2-5th page.

Juan Carlos
Business Administration in Colombia
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Canvas Evolves

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Great platform and product, undoubtedly one of the best to create presentations, projects, excellent interface and easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros:

Canvas is an excellent tool for university, business or other management work to be done. It allows the information to cohere in an artistic way in its content.

Cons:

I haven't had any failures or bad experiences yet, very useful, versatile and a great help for presentations.

Umut Can
Digital Manufacturing Acceleration in Netherlands
Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Great platform for students and instructors

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to use, friendly interface, modern outlook

Cons:

It was all good. No bad experience at all.

Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I like Canvas to maintain my undergarad lab class

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Easy grading, recording results, and tracking students' involvement on a specific file/lecture uploaded.

Cons:

It is limited in terms of setting MCQ questions. I can not make my questions as they can be done by other specific learning providers.

Brandi
Administrative Assistant in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Easy for Students as well as Faculty

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Has many features that are helpful for hybrid courses.

Cons:

Customer support needed for student support.

Tom
Tom
Principal in US

Canvas Review

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Okay. The software serves a purpose but is clunky and difficult to navigate.

Pros:

It was easy to submit assignments and get grades.

Cons:

Images, videos and any other formatting was exceptionally difficult.

Marketing Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Canvas is the clear winner

Comments: My overall experience with CANVAS has been terrific. It's made me feel more confident as a student, and has saved me valuable time because I can always find exactly what I need for my weekly assignments thanks to its modern-style dashboard and advanced functionality. A true winner for all students, both young and old.

Pros:

As a returning student attaining an MBA through an online program at a state university, I spent the first several semesters suffering through Blackboard. Like CANVAS, Blackboard is a learning management system used by today's higher education institutions. However, I always found it to be difficult to navigate and challenging to use. Recently, my university switched to CANVAS. I was nervous at first because, while I was no fan of Blackboard, I feared CANVAS might be worse. Thankfully I was completely wrong. CANVAS features a clean dashboard where all of your courses, assignments, grades, discussion boards, and other online learning tools can easily be accessed. It's extremely user-friendly and I had become a skilled CANVAS user in under an hour. I used to dread accessing Blackboard, but now I welcome accessing CANVAS instead.

Cons:

There is literally nothing to dislike about CANVAS. Even those new to online learning will find it simple to use and extremely flexible.

Prashant
Graduate Assistant in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Good offering but bad user interface

Comments: Overall, the product is pretty easy to use and easy to onboard new users on the usage of the product as well. For certain features, a 'help' section would have been useful but there are ways to get around and learn how to use a functionality present in Canvas.

Pros:

Most useful feature is revisiting the previous courses and going through the material that was covered in those courses. Typically, in other similar software, this is disabled after a certain period of time but Canvas keeps this feature open. The product is definitely easy to use as apart from showing the current courses, it also displays the upcoming deadlines and announcements that comes in very handy as soon as a user logs into the system and navigates to the home screen

Cons:

The worst thing about this product in a lack of search functionality. Manually going through the complete list of options/courses/documents or whatever is present in the Canvas to find one required element is time-intensive process. A search feature would have been really useful in quickly searching what we are looking for.

Juliette

A Good Software with Minor Complaints

Comments: Overall, Canvas is a good software. I've used Blackboard before as well, but it was outdated and had a more confusing interface than Canvas. Canvas makes it easy to see and download assignments. The two minor issues with the software are the inconvenient mobile view and the notification settings.

Pros:

Canvas is useful because I can see all of my coursework on one platform that is simple to use. I can organize my courses on the home page as I like, and when I click on the course, I can see modules, assignments, and tests attached to the course. Documents load very easily on Canvas, and I like being able to "preview" documents posted before downloading them.

Cons:

I have two complaints about the Canvas software. First of all, the mobile version does not work well. I never downloaded the Canvas app, but did try to go on the website on my phone. The text was so small and the menus on the left side of the screen did not load well, so I could never use my phone to get on Canvas without the app. My other complaint with the software is that whenever anything was graded for a course, even if it was an older assignment, I'd get a notification. Perhaps this is just the settings set by the instructor and not Canvas itself, however.

Writing & Editing, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Canvas - The Best Online Classroom A Student Can Ever Have!

Pros:

What I love most about Canvas' software was how simple and easy it is to use. It is the one platform that I have used for six-to-seven years that has allowed me to feel connected to my fellow students and professors most even during classes that were strictly online. It has options like a calendar that automatically shows you all of your assignments on their due dates a weekly and monthly glances. It has neatly color-coded panels that allow you to divide up and access your courses easily. It even has a built-in grade book so students can manage their grades, estimate their overall course grade using the built-in grade estimation system so they aren't in the fark about their grades the whole semester. It even has a feature where students can email other students and teachers directly through Canvas and a system where students can record themselves saying their name so it won't be mispronounced! There are so many other tools to name and I love that so very much about Canvas. For its inexpensive price, accessibility, and variety of tools, I would wholeheartedly recommend Canvas to any school or teacher to use.

Cons:

While it's hard to pick out something that I didn't like about Canvas, I would say that the test and assessment grading system could use some improvement. It's a challenge for students and teachers alike to enter numerical equations that require certain formats such as scientific notation, for example, and it would be wonderful if that could be improved for future use. Even so, Canvas still has a great grading system for other courses that do not require equations and such so I still very much recommend it to anyone.

Deepali
Self Employed in Australia
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Canvas - A full range of online training apparatuses

Comments: Excellent

Pros:

1) Gives inward correspondence, not needing an external message or email framework. 2) Incorporates a file sharing structure for informative materials inside the framework. 3) Gives an evaluating stage that is distinguishable by students and instructors.

Cons:

Record names used to be shortened - however that is fixed at this point.

Rochelle
English Instructor in US
Higher Education Software, 201–500 Employees

Using Canvas in the Classroom

Comments: My overall experience with Canvas has been very positive. This platform has made my life so much easier as a busy instructor with seven or eight classes in a semester. Also, the platform makes it so easy to move from semester to semester with the copy feature. We do not have to recreate the will every semester. Our videos are there, along with handouts and tests. And, if we need to update a tests, it is easy to copy the updated tests to all of your classes.

Pros:

My college has been using Canvas for the last several years. It is so instructor and student friendly. We are able to upload assignments, create videos, and grade with such ease. Also, students are able to navigate the platform very easily.

Cons:

There are a couple of features that I think could be improved, and they are deleting old emails and sending emails to all of my classes. I wish that I could highlight all of the emails and delete in small batches. Also, it would be great to email several classes at one time.

Ho'omana Nathan
Ho'omana Nathan
Visiting Assistant Professor in US
Higher Education Software, 10,000+ Employees

The best LMS I've used so far (much better than Brightspace/D2L)

Comments: Overall, Canvas is the best I've used so far (1000x better than buggy/feature-impoverished D2L). It's generally nice to work with, plays well with most other online resources (especially Google Drive which I use a ton for teaching), it's fairly easy to explain to students, and it makes it easy to transfer materials between courses each semester.

Pros:

One thing I love is that unlike Brightspace/D2L, Canvas has continued to develop and gain new features as long as I've used it. I also like how easy it is to transfer course materials from one course to another so that classes I teach each semester, or every other semester, can be easily copied over.

Cons:

Some of the more advanced/useful features aren't always easy to use, and there isn't great documentation from Canvas. In fact, most of the documentation I've found has been from other university's websites.

Higher Education Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Pros:

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.

Cons:

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

Administrative Assistant in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market

Comments: When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pros:

It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion boards, file integration, quizzes, announcements, custom pages, assignment options, html design). Classes are usually organized via pages and the "modules" page which allows the building of a customized course flow. If there is something you want to be able to post to your class website Canvas probably makes it possible, and most features have many options. Your online assignment settings can be highly customized with settings such as when the assignment in visible, what kind of submissions and documents are accepted, and what category of grade the assignment is. Likewise the online quiz/test maker is fairly robust, allowing for most question types, has some auto-grading capabilities, and offers taker-friendly features like question flagging, test timer, and unfinished question reminders. Perhaps one of its best features is its plug-ins. Canvas works with other popular providers to integrate their products into Canvas. Our school uses the very well-designed Zoom plug-in for scheduling and posting recordings for our virtual classes as well as others including WebEx and Kaltura.

Cons:

While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable sidebar with major navigation links, but this is not "sticky" and so you may need to be scroll to find it on longer pages. While the online quizzes/tests are a step up for many platforms, like google forms, but not as robust as such an important feature could be. Matching questions have no easy way to tracked used answers, which can make questions with many options harder to track. Adding alternative answers for fill-in-the-blank questions can be cumbersome. Not all plug-ins are of equal quality either, but this is probably at least partly the responsibility of the developer. The mobile app works well in general but occasionally I have seen issues such as auto-rotating video screens or issues with certain quiz questions.

Lorraine
ELearning Designer, Owner in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All

Comments: Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners. For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pros:

When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar feature which allows students to track and plan for assignments empowers learners. Canvas was ahead of the curve when it comes to individual feedback. Their voice or video comment feature has been personalizing the virtual classroom for years. Canvas is great for Professional Develpment especially with the discussion feature. Learners can respond to and interact with one another asynchronously and this authentic interaction benefits students and teachers alike.

Cons:

There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner. Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

Maritza
Assistant Professor in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Design Your Dream Course on Canvas

Comments: Designing online course content has been easier with the use of Canvas. It has made teaching in an online setting much more rewarding as I am able to focus more on students and their learning instead of spending time trying to figure out how to use software.

Pros:

The intuitive design features and ease of use are great! You can create a great course in a short amount of time and you can share courses with colleagues for this purpose, too! If you're new to online course design, Canvas is definitely the platform to use. It also has design features for more advanced users that let you customize your content even further. There's definitely something for everyone here - whether your a new online content creator or well-versed.

Cons:

If I had to pick one thing it would be the actual process of integration of external software. While I love that I can integrate external software, the process is multi-step and counterintuitive. You have to secure permissions (product key or registration number externally) and separately add/activate the software in the settings feature for the course (for EACH course), and a few other steps when you actually want to use the external program in Canvas for an assignment. It does require a bit of setup and patience. The good thing is that once you do it, you're set for the term.

Kenyon
Kenyon
Educator in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Empowering Learning with a Cutting-Edge Platform

Comments: One of the standout features of Canvas is its robust grading and feedback system. I can easily create rubrics, provide feedback on assignments, and grade student work with speed and accuracy. The platform also offers plagiarism detection tools, which help me ensure academic integrity in my assessments.Another aspect of Canvas that I find immensely valuable is its analytics and reporting capabilities. The platform provides detailed insights into student performance, engagement, and participation, allowing me to identify areas where students may need additional support and tailor my teaching accordingly.Canvas also offers seamless integration with other learning tools and services, making it a comprehensive and versatile platform. I can integrate third-party apps, such as Google Drive and Zoom, to enhance my teaching and provide a seamless learning experience for my students.Canvas by Instructure has been a game-changer in my teaching practice. Its user-friendly interface, customization options, communication features, robust grading and feedback system, analytics and reporting capabilities, integration with other learning tools, and exceptional support and training make it a top-notch learning management system. I highly recommend Canvas to educators who are looking for a cutting-edge platform to empower their teaching and enhance the learning experience for their students.

Pros:

As an educator, I am always on the lookout for innovative and effective tools to enhance my teaching and make the learning experience more engaging for my students. I recently started using Canvas by Instructure, and I am thrilled to say that it has exceeded my expectations in every way.One of the things that has impressed me the most about Canvas is its user-friendly interface. Navigating through the platform is a breeze, and the intuitive design makes it easy for both teachers and students to find what they need quickly. The dashboard provides a comprehensive overview of all my courses, assignments, and announcements, allowing me to manage my classes efficiently and stay organized.The customization options in Canvas are outstanding. I can easily create and customize course modules, assignments, and quizzes to suit the unique needs of my students. The platform also offers a wide range of multimedia options, allowing me to incorporate videos, images, and interactive content into my lessons to make them more engaging and dynamic.The communication features in Canvas are top-notch. I can send announcements, messages, and notifications to my students, facilitating seamless communication and keeping them informed about important updates and deadlines. The discussion boards are also a fantastic tool for fostering collaborative learning and facilitating peer-to-peer interactions.

Cons:

While Canvas is known for its user-friendly interface, some users, especially those who are less tech-savvy, may find it challenging to learn initially. It may take some time and effort to familiarize oneself with all the features and functionalities of the platform, especially for those who are new to learning management systems (LMS). Although Canvas has a mobile app, some users may find that the mobile version has limitations compared to the desktop version. Certain features, such as complex grading or content creation, may be more challenging or limited on mobile devices, which could impact the ability to manage courses effectively on the go.

Zechariah

Higher Education From A Students Perspective

Comments: As an enthusiastic client of Canvas, I should say that my general experience has been out and out amazing. The framework has made my internet learning venture eminent and smooth, permitting me to advance successfully and productively from anyplace.

Pros:

I truly loved Canvas since overseeing programming, both on a PC and phone was a simple. Seeing my grades and remaining focused of my tasks was simple.

Cons:

Despite the fact that Canvas offers specific capacities for joint effort, it can't replace the one-on-one connection that happens in a regular study hall. It can affect inspiration and commitment when I feel far or alone from my understudies' teachers and individual students.While Material can connect for certain projects, it doesn't with each of the projects that understudies concentrating on computer programming use. Accordingly, the work process might become wasteful on the grounds that understudies might need to change between a few stages to take care of their responsibilities

Brittany
Student in US

This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career.

Comments: I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros:

Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons:

There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful if the reply comments could be in a file with the original comment of the discussion board. In one class, we have weekly discussions and the students of that subjects has to write a powerpoint to explain a character that defines it and the student who did not create that has to write comments for it. At first it was not much but later became very hard to locate the different power point comments due to the immense amount of reply comments.

Eduardo
QA in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Canvas Review

Comments: Overall, using Canvas both as a user and as a tester within a development environment has been a pleasure. I would recommend any educational institutions or organizations that aren't using it to make the switch. It is a great tool.

Pros:

This software is great for keeping courses all in one place and adds easy communication between instructors and students. As well as communication between students themselves is easy and straightforward. Being able to have quizes, assignments, and anything else from the course on Canvas makes it neat and organized. Also, the customization within the app makes it great for unique use cases.

Cons:

Recently I was having an issue with a footer banner when testing in "student view". The banner sits on top of some of the navigation buttons from the left side and therefore hides them. I used to be able to double click on it to hide the banner, but a recent update makes it so that additional steps have to be taken to hide this banner. It has made it inconvenient to click on the button that I need to access from the navigation bar.