15 years helping Canadian businesses

About CANVAS

Canvas by Instructure is a cloud-based learning management system for every stage and style of education.

Learn more about CANVAS

Pros:

I can find answers to just about any question I have very quickly with the online community or I can call and get direct help. If I can think of it, Canvas has a way to do it.

Cons:

As a student this can be confusing and frustrating as I'm constantly searching for the information I need until I learn the instructor's organizational style.

CANVAS ratings

4.4
4.3
4.4
4.5

8.5/10

CANVAS has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 3,966 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used CANVAS before?

Filter reviews (3,966)

Jim
Jim
Assoc VP for IT in US

The Last LMS You Will Ever Purchase

Comments: As a staple in higher education, online and hybrid learning have played a central role in offering courses to a geographically dispersed demographic of students. Canvas provides this ability with a solid product and reliable up time to help us meet these goals.

Pros:

A very powerful platform with a low threshold for adoption and ease of use. Our instructors rave about the intuitiveness of the course builder features and functionality. Since the pandemic, nearly all of the institution's thousands of courses have content online in Canvas - including the traditional in-person classes.

Cons:

Integration with our student information system required some additional outside services to that students, courses, and grades could be synced in real time in order to give students immediate access once enrolled for the class.

Denene
E-Learning, Self Employed

The Ease of Using CANVAS

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

CANVAS is easy to steer and it is easy to learn for people that are beginners with technology. The navigational tabs are a big help as well, and the development of the agenda is very helpful.

Cons:

It does not save work. If you start typing and leave it to come back at a later time, it will not save what you had previously typed.

Jessie
Clerk in US
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Canvas review

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience with canvas has been good it's been real helpful keeping me organized and on track

Pros:

What I like the most about canvas is how it helps keep me organized and everything is on its own place and I can look up whatever I need and it's easy to access and use

Cons:

What I like the lease about canvas is I've been having trouble logging in on my phone

Sam
ESOL Coordinator in US
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

One Stop for All

Comments: It is a huge environment that allows you to have a lot of documents/PPTs, etc. for your students.

Pros:

Canvas is all encompassing and can house pretty much everything for a classroom or central office staff.

Cons:

Although I really like Canvas, at times it can take several clicks to get where I want to go.

Velzie
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Canvas Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, Canvas is 100% better then Blackboard. So much easier.

Pros:

The thing I like most about canvas is the alerts when a new assignment has been created or is due.

Cons:

The over flooding of notifications when other students comment on dissuasion boards.

Baylie
Assistant in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Veterinary Software, 11–50 Employees

Easy to navigate, Easy to communicate, Better than others!

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Organization is key for doctorate school. CANVAS has your back and keeps things very neat. Modules can be separated and organized into different subsets. You can add external links to the tabs bar for easy access and so much more

Cons:

I truly have nothing bad to say about CANVAS. I have used many other organizational apps and CANVAS has been the easiest to use and the most organized with the least amount of issues.

Rayhann
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

CANVAS Review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

One of the things I really like about CANVAS is how it saves your work and how it calculates your grades. As a student, it's really convenient to go back to my work after it's saved and when I'm trying to see what I need to get on a test or final, it's really convenient.

Cons:

One of the things I don't like about CANVAS is the textbox. The textbox has enough options to type, but whenever there's an better "optimized" way of doing it, it notifies you and although it looks better, it's annoying at times.

Brian
Clinical Research Coordinator in US
Research, 201–500 Employees

Your Best School Companion Tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I would highly recommend CANVAS and I would love to see it implemented in other professional settings (i.e. business, marketing, research, etc).

Pros:

CANVAS has been a critical tool for me during my time at college. It's intuitive design allows you to check your grades, review assignments from professors, and a great HUB for all the necessary tools you need to stay on top of your A-game for school. It was also great when I used to tutor for high school students to check for daily assignments and syllabus for upcoming tests.

Cons:

One of the minor annoyances with CANVAS in the past has been with professors who were not fully onboard with CANVAS. Ther would be some missing assignments and missing syllabi. The portal is only as good as its user and the same goes for students who were not checking the portal on a daily basis.

Mackenzie
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Great Product

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Everything is consolidated into one place. All of my college classes appear on one app which is so incredibly helpful as I keep everything organized. Would recommend this product to anyone!

Cons:

I have no complaints about Canvas at all!

riley
care manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

very well set up

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Had to use for college classes and it is very easy to navigate

Cons:

there was not really any cons with it, it always worked well for me

Marketing Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Canvas is the clear winner

Comments: My overall experience with CANVAS has been terrific. It's made me feel more confident as a student, and has saved me valuable time because I can always find exactly what I need for my weekly assignments thanks to its modern-style dashboard and advanced functionality. A true winner for all students, both young and old.

Pros:

As a returning student attaining an MBA through an online program at a state university, I spent the first several semesters suffering through Blackboard. Like CANVAS, Blackboard is a learning management system used by today's higher education institutions. However, I always found it to be difficult to navigate and challenging to use. Recently, my university switched to CANVAS. I was nervous at first because, while I was no fan of Blackboard, I feared CANVAS might be worse. Thankfully I was completely wrong. CANVAS features a clean dashboard where all of your courses, assignments, grades, discussion boards, and other online learning tools can easily be accessed. It's extremely user-friendly and I had become a skilled CANVAS user in under an hour. I used to dread accessing Blackboard, but now I welcome accessing CANVAS instead.

Cons:

There is literally nothing to dislike about CANVAS. Even those new to online learning will find it simple to use and extremely flexible.

Prashant
Graduate Assistant in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Good offering but bad user interface

Comments: Overall, the product is pretty easy to use and easy to onboard new users on the usage of the product as well. For certain features, a 'help' section would have been useful but there are ways to get around and learn how to use a functionality present in Canvas.

Pros:

Most useful feature is revisiting the previous courses and going through the material that was covered in those courses. Typically, in other similar software, this is disabled after a certain period of time but Canvas keeps this feature open. The product is definitely easy to use as apart from showing the current courses, it also displays the upcoming deadlines and announcements that comes in very handy as soon as a user logs into the system and navigates to the home screen

Cons:

The worst thing about this product in a lack of search functionality. Manually going through the complete list of options/courses/documents or whatever is present in the Canvas to find one required element is time-intensive process. A search feature would have been really useful in quickly searching what we are looking for.

Ariya
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Review on Canvas

Comments: As a user of 2 years and counting, I am very satisfied with my overall experience with Canvas and am very likely to share it with others. It is software that will continue to be used in the future; it's a major improvement to online learning.

Pros:

This software is very well organised with minor issues. I think as a user of 2+ years, I am extremely satisfied with the software. Although there are some minor improvements to be made, I believe that this software is the future of remote higher education.

Cons:

I think my major complaint about this software would be the fact that hiding and/or deleting certain courses' cards/lists isn't an option. When one year is over and another begins, half of the courses still on my dashboard can be considered clutter and are no longer needed. I think another feature that would make organising easier is editing the name of the course on my dashboard. Organisations usually title their courses in the same format with minimal changes which does make it harder to differentiate from one another. Adding subtle features that allow for personalising your dashboard without compromising the content of the courses would be helpful, I believe.

marki
student in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

CANVAS from student POV

Comments: I had a good experience with CANVAS. It was easy to use and flowed nicely while I navigated throughout to complete my schooling.

Pros:

Mostly I like the To Do list set up. This greatly helped me keep track of assignments, when they were do and what new ones were coming up. I could also just click right on the link and would be taken directly to the assignment. It was also very helpful that each to do list was separated into its own class. I was able to stay organized because of this feature. I also loved that there is a mobile app so I can check in with my assignments, grades or inbox wherever I am.

Cons:

During my classes there is an option to have your grades be shown in the corner of the class box. On the app I had to repeatedly keep checking that I wanted my grades to be shown. Every time I would log back into CANVAS my preference would change. This did get frustrating because I prefer having my grades somewhere easy to keep an eye on instead of always having to go through the menu steps and switching between grade books in my classes to see my grade.

Higher Education Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Pros:

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.

Cons:

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

Administrative Assistant in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market

Comments: When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pros:

It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion boards, file integration, quizzes, announcements, custom pages, assignment options, html design). Classes are usually organized via pages and the "modules" page which allows the building of a customized course flow. If there is something you want to be able to post to your class website Canvas probably makes it possible, and most features have many options. Your online assignment settings can be highly customized with settings such as when the assignment in visible, what kind of submissions and documents are accepted, and what category of grade the assignment is. Likewise the online quiz/test maker is fairly robust, allowing for most question types, has some auto-grading capabilities, and offers taker-friendly features like question flagging, test timer, and unfinished question reminders. Perhaps one of its best features is its plug-ins. Canvas works with other popular providers to integrate their products into Canvas. Our school uses the very well-designed Zoom plug-in for scheduling and posting recordings for our virtual classes as well as others including WebEx and Kaltura.

Cons:

While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable sidebar with major navigation links, but this is not "sticky" and so you may need to be scroll to find it on longer pages. While the online quizzes/tests are a step up for many platforms, like google forms, but not as robust as such an important feature could be. Matching questions have no easy way to tracked used answers, which can make questions with many options harder to track. Adding alternative answers for fill-in-the-blank questions can be cumbersome. Not all plug-ins are of equal quality either, but this is probably at least partly the responsibility of the developer. The mobile app works well in general but occasionally I have seen issues such as auto-rotating video screens or issues with certain quiz questions.

Ryan
Ryan
Assistant Professor of Instruction in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)

Comments: I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pros:

I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused or overwhelmed since every Canvas course retains certain similarities that can't be altered (e.g., navigation). There also appears to be a great deal of control that can be exerted by administrators in terms of locking down (or opening up) features, so it can be tweaked accordingly for any given institution. There are a LOT of features available to instructors in Canvas, and those can be expanded indefinitely by adding third-party integrations.

Cons:

There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they do find them, the embedded document editor is buggy and limited, and occasionally fails to save student edits. On top of all of this, if peer reviews are set to "anonymous," the embedded editor is disabled entirely--not just for students, but for the instructor as well, making it impossible to make inline comments or suggestions. Even more frustrating is the Canvas/Instructure support website, with its arcane, verbose design and overreliance on "community" message boards instead of dedicated agents to solve problems.

Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

It's ease of use, mobile experience, and ease of administration outweigh the features it lacks.

Comments: We are able to get detailed analytics on use not only from our students but from our instructors. We are able to build customizations utilizing the API.
We are now in a hosted solution with a beta server, test server and production server that is maintained and updated every week or 3 weeks depending on the server.

Pros:

Canvas from an administrator side is incredibly easy to work with. Installing addons takes just seconds in comparison to the fear I experienced in installing anything in Blackboard, and the confusion I experienced trying to set anything up in D2L. One of the deciding factors in moving forward with Canvas was ease of use for our faculty and students. If Canvas was not easy to use our transition would have been near impossible. It's mobile app is excellent for students and they are in the middle of improving their faculty mobile app now. They have an incredible Community that has asked most of the questions you have and someone has provided the answer you're looking for. There are also folks that create customizations and share those with everyone to help improve your workflows. They also let you in on the development process and share with your their progress and let you beta test things for them. I love having a beta server, test server and production server to work with that is always up to date. Lots to love about Canvas.

Cons:

There are some features that are lacking from Canvas that we are attempting to work around or build customizations for. 1. Set Discussion boards to need grading after x number of posts. Right now it says it needs to be graded after the first post and will not notify the instructor once they have submitted the required amount of posts. This isn't as big of an issue when there are due dates but a majority of our courses do not have due dates. 2. It's Outcomes capabilities are lacking. They have plans to improve on this but it may be awhile. 3. They are releasing a new quizzing tool in 2018 which we are excited for but are worried about how we will need to go about migrating quizzes.

Publishing, Self Employed

A huge step up!

Comments: As a student in several certification courses, I'm largely just relieved by the move away from Blackboard since my time in university! Canvas works reliably—it's always a relief to know that you'll be able to access your course when you need to—and has a variety of compelling features that really benefit the online learning experience, including well-designed quizzes and interactive forums.

Pros:

I feel that the quiz tool is one of the best assets to online learning I've seen in recent years. With our virtual learning system in which back-and-forth conversation (a more traditional lecture style) is not currently possible, the quiz tool allows instructors to gauge student knowledge and understanding of everything taught so far, without requiring a grade for accuracy. So much more powerful than the old-fashioned approach of requiring a weekly forum post to promote "engagement"! Canvas has a huge variety of learning tools that really enable instructors to customize their teaching styles. Instructors who use it to the best of their abilities really empower their students to learn, even in this crazy virtual world.

Cons:

The platform can be difficult to navigate at times—it's not a particularly intuitive design—and materials can get lost or overlooked (not a great situation when grades are involved!). In addition, it doesn't always play nicely with certain web browsers or ad blockers. If it's best accessed under certain settings, that should be clearly communicated!

Christian
Instructor-Biology in US

CANVAS-A Great LMS

Comments: Overall Canvas has made my job as a professor more fluid and convenient. It has saved me many hours of time and has provided my students with a great tool to succeed in college. I have a very positive opinion of this LMS and am glad my institution uses it. There are some things about it that I am not too happy with, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Pros:

The thing I like most about Canvas is the user interface and the ease of use. Canvas makes it very easy to provide students with all course materials that used to be copied and handed out in class. Not only does this save time and effort, but it is great for the environment. I have been trained several times on Canvas though it is quite easy to learn and use. Once you become accustomed to the nuances of using it, you start to appreciate its design. I really appreciate the tools that are available with Canvas such as the attendance feature and the ability to integrate publisher's materials.

Cons:

The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of ease of importing test banks from publishers. I am not sure if this is due to Canvas or the publishers. But I try to avoid using quizzes as much as possible. I hate to type 60 questions and answers for each test and for each class. I usually give 5 exams per class and I typically teach 3 different classes.

Setareh
Electrical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Create and present your online learning materials quickly and easily with Canvas

Comments: Overall, Canvas is an excellent learning management software that can make a significant difference in how instructors teach and learners learn. It provides you with various useful features that are easy to use. If you are an instructor at school or university, Canvas can help you be more productive and efficient at work.

Pros:

I use Canvas for online classroom, online tests, and online training. I work remotely as a lecturer besides my reserach work, and Canvas has been really great for me. I am satisfied with Canvas. It helps me save time and be more productive. Canvas has a simple, intuitive interface that makes it easy for teachers and students to use. My students also do not have any complaints about Canvas. Canvas works seamlessly across desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, making it easy for students to access coursework from anywhere.Canvas also integrates with a range of learning tools, including Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and Box, among others. I find Canvas integration capability very useful and critical. Canvas allows me to customize course pages and assignments to suit my specific needs.I use Canvas everyday and I couldn't be happier.

Cons:

I do not have any specific dislikes for Canvas. The only thing I can mention is that it is a cloud-based platform that requires an internet connection to function, which can be problematic in areas with poor connectivity. Canvas is very reliable and secure. I recommend it.

Magali
Project Manager in US
Motion Pictures & Film, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas

Comments: You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pros:

The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow students easily. You can send an email to your teacher or start a chat with your classmates. Canvas is used by educational institutions for two purposes: either for creating courses that are taught exceptionally online or for blending the traditional way of teaching with online one. This platform is especially useful for students who always need to find all the material on their course online, including the textbooks, lectures, homework, individual works and of course, their grades and attendance. Canvas makes collaboration between teachers and students more effective and fruitful.

Cons:

It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up. The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements. And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Has its limits, but still the best out there

Comments: There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros:

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons:

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run. One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline. The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.

Higher Education Software, 11–50 Employees

College course management program for students, faculty, and staff

Pros:

After my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted. Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.

Cons:

The notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident. Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.

Eduardo
QA in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Canvas Review

Comments: Overall, using Canvas both as a user and as a tester within a development environment has been a pleasure. I would recommend any educational institutions or organizations that aren't using it to make the switch. It is a great tool.

Pros:

This software is great for keeping courses all in one place and adds easy communication between instructors and students. As well as communication between students themselves is easy and straightforward. Being able to have quizes, assignments, and anything else from the course on Canvas makes it neat and organized. Also, the customization within the app makes it great for unique use cases.

Cons:

Recently I was having an issue with a footer banner when testing in "student view". The banner sits on top of some of the navigation buttons from the left side and therefore hides them. I used to be able to double click on it to hide the banner, but a recent update makes it so that additional steps have to be taken to hide this banner. It has made it inconvenient to click on the button that I need to access from the navigation bar.