15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Stripe

Stripe’s Payments platform helps you accept credit cards, debit cards, and popular payment methods around the world.

Learn more about Stripe

Pros:

I have been using Stripe for over 5 years and when I needed to update my legal documents due to a marriage, the customer service agents were amazing to work with.

Cons:

They can ruin your buiness and refund customers for no reason at all check comments all of the web Im not the only business they did this to.

Stripe ratings

4.5
4.3
4.5
4.4

8.6/10

Stripe has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 3,085 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Stripe before?

Filter reviews (3,085)

Mayank
Mayank
Aspiring Enginner and Entrepreneur in India
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Stripe: Empowering Businesses with Secure, Seamless Payment Processing

Comments: My overall experience with Stripe has been overwhelmingly positive. The platform offers an intuitive user interface, comprehensive features, and reliable payment processing capabilities. The integration process was smooth, and Stripe's documentation and support resources were helpful in resolving any issues that arose. Overall, Stripe has provided a seamless and efficient payment solution for my needs. But as i said the i didn't like its fee structure so yeah that's all.

Pros:

What I like most about Stripe is its user-friendly interface and making payment processing seamless and efficient for businesses of all sizes with all the required features and Data security.

Cons:

One downside of using Stripe which i think is its fee structure, which might be considered slightly higher compared to some other payment processing platforms, especially for smaller businesses (not with the multi billion dollar company )with lower transaction volumes.

I really like Stripe

Comments: Stripe has been very useful in my business to receive payment from customers all over the world. I also like that they have implemented faster payouts

Pros:

I like that you can use Stripe to take debit and credit card payments and the charges are not as high as some other payment platforms. It is also easy to set up.

Cons:

Some of the functionality seems clunky, especially for recurring payments. You have to manually set the end date.

Ricardo
Marketing in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

The unrivaled best payment processor

Pros:

It was easy to set up, and it works with any business i set up.

Cons:

When making a new account, if you get unlucky with a fraudulent order. It can affect your payments

Greg
CEO in Australia

Appalling Service

1.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Appalling. I have spent a month trying to get someone, anyone to help. All I received were dismissive emails sending me off to solve the problems on your site.

Pros:

The logo is nice. The name is also nice.

Cons:

Customer support is non existent. The arrogance of big business treats to customer as a problem rather than an asset.

Whitney
Owner in US
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Stripe is the Payment Processor To Fit Any Business Needs

Pros:

The various feature embedded in Stripe for multiple different payment option capabilities is phenomenal. They have detailed outline of payment intents to look back at immediately should there be a problem with a debit or credit card that was ran for payment and they have security detection on transactions that don't feel genuine especially if running it manually. I love it. You also have the ability to send out invoices and payment links to customers saving the hassle of leaving their own home for a phone in order to deliver gifts to family/friends from miles away!

Cons:

The only cons is the whole Ruby Gem and developer code setup if you don't know how to implement this on your own website you're building or even in your own cloud server or network server. It takes alot of research and how-to articles to read to start learning it as you go and if you're a beginner thats unfamiliar with command line basics and a terminal to launch from then you're in trouble! Ha!Ha!

Alternatives Considered: PayPal and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: Square has a tendency to just freeze accounts and not even allow legitimate appeal of the decision and they do so without warning. If you have money in the account when they do decide to just cut you off they hold onto it for at least 180 days if I remember correctly and there is nothing you can do about it. That's unacceptable.

Switched From: Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: For the same reason I chose Stripe over Square.... they have the same bad habit of freezing accounts just on a whim with no notice and keep business owners from revenue just because they can and are in no hurry to allow you access to your funds even if proven legitimate long before they'll release their hold on them.

Peter
Director in UK
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, Self Employed

Easy to Use Payment Processing

Comments: I am very pleased with Stripe and the reports function is very good

Pros:

Its very easy to use No setup fees, monthly fees, or hidden fees.

Cons:

I do not have any negative views on Stripe

Abby
Author in US
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

Stripe is a brilliant way to receive payments

Comments: I'm really happy with Stripe and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Pros:

It's easy for people to use and their customer service was helpful.

Cons:

The only con I experienced was that Stripe asked me to put in a person's email, when they buy my book, and the emails aren't readily visible. As soon as I asked Customer Support, they were able to get back to me with that information

Jason
Jason
Director in Spain
Media Production, Self Employed

Very disappointed

Comments: Abysmal. The customer support is appalling.

Pros:

In theory this was supposed to be a convenient and cost-effective alternative to getting paid via PayPal.

Cons:

Within a week of receiving payments I was locked out of my account and almost a week later I still haven't been given access. Customer service is conspicuous for its absence and I have no idea when I will have access to my funds.

Lauren
Office Manager in US
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Easy To Use Payment Processor

Comments: Easy to use, a lot of integrations, and Stripe offers a lot of options for all types of businesses and needs.

Pros:

Stripe integrates easily with other programs we use.

Cons:

It can be a bit confusing to get set up.

Robyn
Program Director in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Stripe is QUICK and EASY

Comments: Great experience with Stripe. We have used them for the last 3 big events that my company hosted and we didn't have to worry about receiving the correct payment and the payments were deposited in the business account within 3 days!

Pros:

Stripe is a very convenient way to accept payments without worry.

Cons:

There is really nothing that my company didn't like about Stripe.

Shane
Founder & Owner in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Payment processing to suit your needs

Comments: Originally, we were looking to implement metered subscriptions for our SaaS offering, and we needed something that would integrate with a solution for WordPress. Stripe had exactly what we needed, and has continued to be our preferred payments solution for any new services we offer.

Pros:

The flexibility of Stripe is enormous. Every little detail can be customized (or not), as your business needs dictate. The documentation and testing environments are extremely developer-friendly, the docs even include real examples from your activity in the testing environment. With all that, it's not difficult to get up and going with all the various implementations available. For the simplest use, signup, grab your keys, and plugin them into your e-commerce software.

Cons:

This was so much easier than working with PayPal, I really can't think of anything negative. But perhaps something I like "least"? That would probably be the settings section for tweaking things like payment receipts, logos, colors, etc. Seems I have to go hunting a bit to find just what I'm looking for, though it doesn't take long, and once you have it setup, it's not like you'll have to change the settings often.

Ryan
Vice President in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Hands down the most flexible and easy to use website payment system

Comments: Internet payments used to be a HUGE headache, constantly worrying about setup, security, security and more security, but Stripe has really changed the game. It's made it possible for us to provide online payments for customers who would never have been able to afford the programming to do such a thing, or be able to afford the security measures necessary to properly take payments on their own. This is especially true because apart from the fees taken from each transaction, there is no recurring fee, which is a real asset to smaller businesses who don't do as much volume. On top of all that, the fact that the system is nearly seamless -- and MORE secure -- for the end user inputting their credit card information, is a huge win.

Pros:

By far the best thing about Stripe is the way that it so easily integrates with nearly any shopping cart system or website payment plugin/application we've ever come across. Any need we've had to take web payments Stripe has been able to seamlessly connect to our system, including setting up some custom systems that in the past would have been way too complicated for us to do on our own.

Cons:

The biggest complaint we have -- and since we use it a lot for customers, the biggest gripe they have as well, is the way deposits are done. Instead of depositing the whole amount of the transaction, then debiting the fees, Stripe takes the fees out before the deposit -- so on a $10 transaction, you only see $9.50 (or whatever the amount comes out to be) deposited in your bank account and have to manually do the accounting to match that payment and the fees, etc. Admittedly, it's a small complaint, but I think it's the only thing that keeps us from using this 100% of the time.

Alternatives Considered: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: We tried a few other options, but nothing really ever came close to giving us the kind of integration or ease of use that we get from a Stripe setup.

Jonathan
Director in Spain
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Top choice for small business

Comments: I am overall satisfied with stripe for processing payment of my invoices but I know they could help me integrate it better into my website if they wanted more business .

Pros:

Fast and easy online setup no credit checks or bank involvement like in the past when it had to be done through your bank works fast and does cost the earth .

Cons:

Cant use on my website without specialist knowledge if they could make it easier to install payment gateways for novices I would not have to use PayPal for this .

Alternatives Considered: Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: Customers without PayPal accounts were having trouble making payments and PayPal are more expensive

Switched From: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: I liked the easy setup and it was the preferred option of our accounting software

Eduardo
Sales Manager in Mexico
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

I was the target of fraud and stripe could care less

Comments: Horrible. It cost us so much money. It was a waste of time, money, product and resources to contest chargebacks, cancel orders, return money and deal with legitimate customers since using this product. We though lower fees would save us money, but boy were we wrong. This is the single biggest regret since I started my business.

Pros:

It is easy to use. Fast to set up and you can start receiving payments right away.

Cons:

Like it says in the title. I was the victim of fraud big time. Stripe let a ton of sales through even though we had the fraud settings on the highest level. We lost the product, the money in the account was taken out and stripe charged us a fee for every chargeback we received. We were never able to contact stripe: it was automated massages after automated messages. Their only solution was: give us more money in the form of a service called "fraud radar" but you had to manually review each payment with meaningless tools that didn't work and they didn't guarantee anything.

Alternatives Considered: PayPal and Openpay

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: Lower fees, or so we thought.

Switched From: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: We though we could save money by using a payment processor that charged less in fees.

Wisani
Convinient payments system in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Another successful payments gateway to trust

Comments: So far so good with us.I have no real issues with them mostly good issues like i have never has disputes as a user and as administrator .

Pros:

To be honest no one needs Labour intensive settings up process so with strip it has easy way to set up in has lot of ready made scripts fo different use. In an essence its easy to set up and for users its easy to pay using it.

Cons:

Their business strategy told them that some countries and currencies are second to others so the development in those countries is less and and increase cost to deal witg them. For example in South Africa it does not partnered bank that makes little extra work to get money if you are a merchant.

Alternatives Considered: 2Checkout

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: They are against themselves they said this and do that. So they stand with the bigger entities on with policy and truth.

Switched From: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: I already had a working account and service fee are affordable for me.

Dominique Ariana
Content & Marketing Manager in Argentina
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

The Best Payment Processing Solution

Comments: I have been using Stripe for a few months now and I am very pleased with the service. It is simple to set up and use and the fees are very fair. The customer service is top-notch. The only thing I would change is the amount of time it takes for payments to be deposited into my bank account.

Pros:

Stripe is an incredibly easy to use payment processing solution that has been a lifesaver for my business. The setup process was simple and the fees are very reasonable. They provide excellent customer service and it is easy to customize the payment processing settings to fit your business needs.

Cons:

The only downside to using Stripe is that it takes a few days for payments to be deposited into the bank account. This can be a bit of a nuisance if you need the money right away.

Teri
Founder - Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

STRIPE Lifer

Comments: Going from paying numerous monthly fees with a merchant service to using Stripe…it’s been a blessing to me. I use it for all my business needs and products.

Pros:

I just like the overall operation and features of Stripe, I went from using a merchant service that charged a monthly fee, plus additional fees per transaction, plus the credit card and back fees, to using ONLY Stripe!

Cons:

I have not found anything I dislike about Stripe. Going from paying numerous monthly fees with a merchant service to using Stripe…it’s been a blessing to me.

Alternatives Considered: Square Point of Sale , Square Payments and Mindbody

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: I have saved A-LOT of money switching to Stripe.

Switched From: iGo Figure

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: I still use Square for some things, but choose Stripe to link directly to sales pages, point of sale products and services. Stripe offers more user friendly features.

Ethan
Ethan
Director / Web developer in US
Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

Industry Standard Payment Processing Platform

Comments: Stripe's capabilities for online transactioning is considerably useful to me and it has helped me with thousands of sales online. I have integrated the platform with my festival's website and used it for ticketing and merchandising services which assisted in operating the event and brand for a number of years. I'd likely recommend their services to other entrepreneurs.

Pros:

One of the better means of processing transactions and payments digitally, that's widely accepted by a variety of business owners. Integrateable in many different web development platforms, Stripe makes it easy for people to order items and services online while simultaneously making it easy for sellers to provide their items and services to people via the internet.

Cons:

Obviously to a certain degree their payment percentages could be lower, however it would depend on whether or not credit card transaction fees are low enough to facilitate Stripe's ability to lower any fees they might have.

Kamila
Kamila
Founder & CEO ¿ Business Coach | Marketing Strategist | Online Training for Coaches & Experts in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

It's what I use to process payments!

Comments: I am pleased with them so far, I have heard from colleagues saying they can easily process millions per year in Stripe and without issues so I am looking forward to continuing to grow with this payment processor by my side.

Pros:

I used to use my bank's merchant for 3-4 years, thinking they were giving me a better rate. long story short, they weren't AND they were confusing to use. So I switched to Stripe, which is frequently used in my field of coaching and digital products. I have been very happy so far. - I am able to process payments myself, it integrate with 3rd party shopping carts with ease (I use ThriveCart), it allows to create trials, subscriptions, all the things I wanted. PLUS I get to charge and bill clients on my own too with their cards on file which sometimes we have to do when the clients tell us to do so, instead of having to send constant shopping cart links. I was doing that before with Infusionsoft and my merchant, but now I can do it all within Stripe and it's easy. - I have not had any issues with Stripe holding my funds or anything. Pleased. - I like their simple reporting as well, how much money you've made each day, etc. It's nice to see the comparisons on the monthly basis as well.

Cons:

- It's a bit complicated to use for someone who might not be techy. I am pretty techy and I think I've got a handle on it, especially since I mainly use it as the processor with my shopping cart, but if I had to use Stripe on its own, it probably would get complicated. - Sometimes I find it hard to find what I need to in Stripe. Like, a payment would get declined and I'd want to rebill or attempt the rebill - sometimes it's hard to find the option to do that on the declined payment. I always do eventually find it, but I never know EXACTLY how to do it. - I wish the payments landed in my bank sooner but I just switched it so it lands in my bank like a day or so after being collected which is better. My own merchant would be next day so this is now closer. - Obviously always would be nicer if the fees were lower but it is on par with every other option out there so this can't really be a con since it's not HIGHER.

Sarah
Content and Social Media Specialist in US
Design, 51–200 Employees

Easy Integration for a Variety of Content Management Systems

Comments: Customer service is excellent, the product itself is excellent, and it fulfills all of our needs and the needs of our clients.

Pros:

Stripe is by far the most secure, easy to use, and easily integrated service of its type. We work with organizations both large and small, and whether a client has team members who are going to be working in their CMS after their website is designed or not, Stripe is the best option. It is easy to use, even for beginners and even those who are not designers and developers, and the fact that it doesn't allow hackers to add code to the checkout page protects our clients better than any other system we've seen. We recommend a Stripe integration for every single client who has an online store or sells any number of products online.

Cons:

It does require some knowledge of front end development to integrate with many CMS platforms, even Wordpress. It's not necessarily the easiest to setup, even if you know your way around Wordpress or drag and drop design platforms. The only other downside is that checkout forms are not customizable. This is actually not a bad downside for us because the reason they are not so is due to the inability to add custom code to the checkout form, making it more secure. Trading customization for security is a no brainer on our end, but if you are an agency with a picky client, or if you just really want a custom checkout form, Stripe won't work for you. Then again, if you're willing to have your customer's credit card information stolen just because you refuse to use a templated checkout form that looks modern and is efficient and easy to use, your opinion sucks anyway.

ROBERT
Director in Australia
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Stripe's dispute resolution policies are never in favour of the seller

Comments: I am in the process of terminating my account with Stripe. It's a joke. The amount of headache and lost business they caused is not worth it. It is easy to set up but after that nothing is easy with Stripe.

Pros:

Easy to deploy and has various integrations available

Cons:

Allocations are a nightmare. Stripe is taking out their commission and the remaining amount is paid into your account, several client transactions in one payment - reconciliations are extremely difficult and I've never received one invoice from Stripe for their commission. They simply deduct their share and transfer the rest to you without any paper trail. In addition, every time there is a dispute, it is never settled in the seller's favour even when the supporting evidence and paperwork supplied to Stripe clearly shows that the purchase was valid, agreed and approved by the buyer, signed-off by them and the service used by them. The response from Stripe is never in the seller's favour. Finally - it happens at least a few times a month that Stripe rejects the transaction as suspicious and prevents prospects from buying our products. It often happens that clients contact us outside of the Stripe's workflow and finalise payment manually because Stripe is rejecting their cards and by extension is not allowing us to close the sale.

Alternatives Considered: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Stripe: Better integrations

Zeeshan
Manager Fraud and Billing in Pakistan
Computer & Network Security, 501–1,000 Employees

Credit Card on-Site

Comments: We integrated Stripe on-site which provided us full access to modify recurring. We can apply discount on recurring runtime on the basis of requirements. Also Stripe increased our conversion rate.

Pros:

If you are looking for good conversion rate on Credit Card transactions then Stipe is a good choice. After integrating Stripe our conversion rate increased. Stripe is offering built in fraud monitoring tool RADAR which is outstanding and help us fight fraud.

Cons:

Stripe should consider Risk insights Dashboard to analyze fraud instead of looking into each payment a dashboard will give better overall view of the payments.

Alternatives Considered: authorize.net , Checkout.com and Worldpay POS

Reasons for Choosing Stripe: Stripe on-site integration

Switched From: BlueSnap

Mo
Sales and Partnerships Manager in UK

Can't get better!

Comments: Overall, the sheer ease of use, set up, convenience and payment processing is the absolute best and the current industry-standard for a lot of start-ups and small businesses. Their fees are competitive, payment processing is quick and efficient and security is industry-standard for an extra peace of mind for you and your clients. It's all straightforward to use and the host of analytics, metrics and reporting features make it easy for you to keep tabs on your payments. I literally can't think of a better system.

Pros:

Convenience is king when it comes to Stripe. Invoicing and billing is an absolute breeze and takes a matter of minutes to set up. Once you have your account ready to go, creating an invoice is simple and straightforward. All you need is the recipient's name, email and business address and you're good to go. You may want to include invoice information, though the length of that depends on your own needs and can often be done outside of Stripe if you have SOW's in place, so generally only needs a brief outline of what the invoice is for. Once you've filled in your payee's information, it generates a secure payment link for online payments that has industry-standard encryption and top-of-the-line security for their peace of mind. Then, it's up to you to send off the link and for the payee to fill the invoice. The whole process of setting up payments is an absolute breeze takes next-to-no time at all. Other than convenience of payments, their reporting and analytics, ease of set and use, information archiving and security is simple to set up and use. Everything is provided at a glance and you often won't have to spend no more than a few minutes in your account.

Cons:

One potential improvement, especially in the scope of remote-based teams, could be to allow contributors into the account with restricted access. For instance, when I need an invoice in my particular role, I'd have to have this approved via the manager, though this could be done a lot quicker if there was some sort of 'guest' or restricted staff access that would allow me to only create invoices in order to save time in creating and having them approved. Of course this would vary from business to business and you'd need a certain level of seniority, however I think this feature could be a huge opportunity to increase convenience even further.

Hicham
Freelancer in Morocco
Computer Software, Self Employed

Stripe Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Comments: Overall, I'm really happy with Stripe. They make it easy to accept payments on my website and I haven't had any significant issues. The only downside is that their fees are a bit higher than some other options out there. But, for the convenience and peace of mind they provide, I think they're worth it. In addition, their API is solid, so if you have another system in place (or if you want to build your own) you can use Stripe seamlessly. Their support team has been great as well; anytime I've needed help, they have been quick to respond. One last plus - everything can be done in one place so even though it may take a little while at first, once everything's set up (it takes around 10 minutes) it's not too bad after that.
I would recommend using Stripe. It's easy to use and set up, plus it has a lot of features that can be really helpful for businesses. That said, there are a few things to be aware of. First, there is a fee for each transaction. Second, there are some countries that Stripe doesn't support yet. Finally, customer service isn't always the quickest to respond. But overall, I think Stripe is a great option for businesses looking for an easy way to accept payments online.

Pros:

I liked that Stripe was easy to use and set up. The interface is straightforward, and the documentation is clear. I also appreciated the support I received from Stripe. They were always quick to respond to my questions and helped me troubleshoot any issues I had. Overall, I found Stripe to be a great experience. It's a nice alternative to PayPal or other payment processors because it can handle just about anything. It integrates with popular shopping carts like Shopify and WooCommerce, has an API for developers, allows one-time payments or subscriptions, and doesn't charge transaction fees unless you opt-in for premium plans - which are reasonably priced - and more. What I didn't like about Stripe: There really wasn't much that I didn't like about Stripe. If there was one thing, it would be the lack of customer service over email. Although they're quick to answer your emails if you're paying their fee, if you aren't paying their fee then they won't respond unless your question needs to do with troubleshooting a specific issue (which isn't hard). Other than that, everything was pretty solid and worth the time investment!

Cons:

Overall, I was really disappointed with Stripe. The interface is confusing, and the fees are high. I also found that there are a lot of hidden fees that they don’t tell you about until it’s too late. Overall, I would not recommend using Stripe. It just isn’t worth it. For small businesses, this could be a huge problem because as soon as you have enough transactions to have more than one fee for different services, your percentage changes drastically. You're paying 20% instead of 2%. In the long run, if your service continues to grow and generate revenue from many sources like affiliate sales or hosting services (just to name two), then 20% will eventually take up a large portion of your total revenue which can become detrimental for any business. The only time I would use Stripe again is if my company wanted to provide payment processing solutions as an added feature on our product, and we were offering this service as an add-on rather than part of our base package.

Rosalina
Executive Assistant/Freelancer in Philippines
Insurance Software, 2–10 Employees

Stripe Installment Stage Survey: A Thorough Examination of Its Benefits and Impediments for Organiza

Comments: Generally speaking, Stripe is a dependable and extensive installment handling stage with many advantages, including usability, customization, and security. Be that as it may, it's critical to think about the cons, like expenses, chargebacks, account holds, restricted client service, and global limitations, prior to choosing if it's the right installment handling stage for your business.

Pros:

Easy to Use: Stripe's user interface is intuitive and easy to use, making it accessible for both beginners and advanced users.Complete Installment Handling: Stripe offers an extensive variety of installment handling highlights, including tolerating Visa installments, ACH moves, and versatile installments.Customization: Stripe's APIs and engineer instruments take into consideration customization of the installment interaction, permitting organizations to make an interesting installment experience for their clients.Security: Stripe offers an elevated degree of safety, including PCI consistence and encryption of delicate information.Reconciliation: Stripe coordinates with an assortment of outsider instruments, like Shopify, WooCommerce, and Salesforce, making it simple to oversee installments and client information

Cons:

Expenses: Stripe charges a handling charge for every exchange, which can accumulate for organizations with high volumes of exchanges.Chargebacks: Stripe's chargeback strategy can be challenging to explore, and organizations might confront extra expenses or loss of income in case of a debate.Account Holds: Stripe might hold subsidizes in a business' record for a few days or even weeks, which can be disappointing for organizations requiring quick admittance to reserves.Restricted Client service: Stripe's client service can be delayed to answer, and there is no telephone support accessible.Worldwide Limitations: Stripe has limits on its accessibility in specific nations, which can restrict organizations' capacity to universally acknowledge installments.