15 years helping Canadian businesses

About PowerDMS

PowerDMS is a policy and compliance management platform for high-trust organizations, and provides a repository to manage policies.

Learn more about PowerDMS

Pros:

It is very user friendly, especially for the end users.

Cons:

Sometime it is a bit hard to get the workflows correct.

PowerDMS ratings

4.6
4.8
4.5
4.6

9.0/10

PowerDMS has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 368 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PowerDMS before?

Police Officer/Accreditation Officer in US
Law Enforcement Software, 201–500 Employees

Amazing Customer Service and Support Groups!

Comments: To be fair, the con I described only affects 1-2 people within our entire organization and shouldn't be counted as a true con as much as a pet peeve. All in all, PowerDMS is an amazing product. Our organization still hasn't used it to its fullest potential. Policy housing, Training, Archives, Public Facing Documents, etc... PowerDMS really can be used for multiple purposes!

Pros:

There are many things about PowerDMS that make it a great product. It's simple and easy to use for the end users. Administrators have more of a learning curve; however, the support groups and Customer Service are fast to respond and AMAZING! PowerDMS allows users to easily search policies both on a desktop and the mobile app. It also allows administrators to quickly locate version histories and add documents/audio/video as proofs for accreditation purposes. In addition, the Training module works great in these pandemic times to allow for remote training.

Cons:

Only one. The Session Timeout only allows for two options. 1) Timeout in twenty minutes of activity, or 2) Stay logged in if the window is open. There is no middle ground for PowerDMS Administrators. I can't tell you how many times my session wants to timeout as I am in the middle of loading a proof.

Anjani
Government analyst 2 in US
Law Enforcement Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

PowerDMS

Comments: It’s awesome. Very user friendly!!

Pros:

The ease of use. Can edit things easily.

Cons:

Slowness for upgrade options and ideas in success community

Shannon
CALEA Program Administrator in US
Law Enforcement Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

PowerDMS

Pros:

The ability to manage CALEA assessments and policy. It’s user-friendly and the support team makes it a priority to ensure success.

Cons:

There are so many features, it can be challenging to understand all the things the program can do. The system can also be temperamental at times.

Dan
Lieutenant in US

Review

Comments: Very experienced at this point.

Pros:

Document management and policy distribution

Cons:

Can be a little difficult to learn at first.

Alternatives Considered: Lexipol Knowledge Management System (KMS)

Katie
Training manager in US
Law Enforcement Software, 501–1,000 Employees

PowerDMS is great for accredited law enforcement

Comments: Love it! Makes my job easier

Pros:

Easy to use and easy to teach other admins. Lets our agency house all documents and trainings in one place. Great for auditing and compliance.

Cons:

The only thing I don’t like is the new analytics

Joe
Joe
emergency communications supervisor in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Most frustrating program I've ever used

Comments: I'm glad I'm already bald, or I would have pulled my hair out by now because of this mess.

Pros:

It does manage to track documents and allows you to force a signature to show people saw them. It accomplishes this is a vastly over complicated style that is unnecessarily complicated and labor intensive, but it does accomplish it.

Cons:

Extremely difficult to use, especially the classroom portion, if you have the unfortunate task of trying to design classes in it. Plan on more time trying to put your class material in PowerDMS than it takes to design them in your original powerpoint or other programs.

Greg
Undersheriff in US

Rockstars

Comments: Outstanding

Pros:

Ease-of-use and customer service. Experience has been fantastic since day one

Cons:

Email options and notification options. More options are needed in this area and user to complain about it all the time.

Crystal
Accreditation Coordinator in US

Crystal- Accreditation Management

Comments: I use the program for accreditation management and its the only program they require

Pros:

The ease of the software and quick help from support!

Cons:

Nonething has been an issue so far. It has been great getting support from powerdms

Jessica
Program Coordinator 3 in US
Law Enforcement Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Can’t live without it!

Comments: Overall we love the product! Helps everyone in every function

Pros:

Easy of use and functionality is great. Everything is organized and clean!

Cons:

Some areas need updates with small info to assist in daily functions.

Lisa

Power DMS rocks

Comments: Love it, have used every module and find it easy to use.

Pros:

Power dms is very easy to use, it's a stable platform and consistent

Cons:

Sometimes takes a little while for customer suggestions to be implemented

Tony
Inspector in US
Law Enforcement Software, 201–500 Employees

PowerDMS - Success Waiting to Happen!

Comments: For our agency, we have 6 facilities across the country that operate under one police department managed out of Washington DC. It is critical that all the facility police departments operate under one method of operations and control. PowerDMS assists our agency in maintaining consistent best practices across the various geographical locations and gives us the mechanism to evaluate and substantiate each facility is operating correctly under the written directives and standards of the department. The system provides all the required standards necessary to maintain accreditation at my finger tips. This eliminates having to got to other links or even maintaining volumes of paper documents searching for specific standards. The functionality of PowerDMS is incredibly easy. Uploading and highlighting documents necessary for each standard is extremely simple and efficient. PowerDMS allow you to search for specific documents using word search and tags that you can attach to each document. For instance, if I needed to find documents pertaining to training, it is a simple matter of typing in "Training" in the search bar and all relevant documents are listed. PowerDMS has eliminated or significantly reduced, substantial amounts of administrative supplies, such as, paper, files, storage, and postage. It has significantly reduced the number of personnel hours working to maintain accreditation standards.
Overall, PowerDMS has saved the agency a lot of money in supplies and personnel costs; money that can be spent elsewhere!!

Pros:

Cons:

The highlighting feature would be better served if it had line item by line item or word by word, capability. It currently is some what limited to bulk highlighting. Easier access to training videos so refresher information is more readily available for adding users, setting permissions, etc. Setting permissions is always a daunting task and I usually have to call into customer support for assistance. Giving the user the ability to "backup" the data that is in the system with the ability to restore the data would give the user a little piece of mind of continuity.

Tyler
Quality Associate in US
Medical Devices, 51–200 Employees

PowerDMS is WAY more efficient than a paper based document control system.

Comments: Quicker and way more efficient than the "paper" document control system.

Pros:

1. The efficiency. Procedures are getting approved and released quicker than our old (paper document control system). 2. Instead of guessing who's desk the paper ECR is sitting on.. now we can figure out who is slacking and still needs to approve the document by checking out the approval workflow. 3. PowerDMS is very user friendly. 4. When our Sales Reps are traveling they can use the PowerDMS Mobile App to sign off on procedures. 5. The "Review" tab in "Manage Document" comes in handy especially when you have annual procedures that need to be reviewed. 6. Since I am the training coordinator (as well as the Document Control Specialist) I love having the "Reports" option so I can figure out who has completed training/who still needs to complete. 7. In the "Revisions" tab in "Manage Document", I like how you can set a date to have the training (signatures) due by as we have a 30 day policy to complete training.

Cons:

1. When a procedure is released, has all the required approvals and training is required.. associates who have to train to the document can't pull up "Compare to Current Publication." It wouldn't make sense to have that button since the new revision is current but it would be nice to have a "Compare to Last Publication" button. This way the associates would be able to see what was added/revised. I have to manually type in the "Discuss" tab what was changed and sometimes that can take a LONG time. 2. The 20 minute timeout that will log you out if you're away from your computer. I understand why this is in place (for security reasons) but I have received lots of negative feedback on this.

Marie
Accreditation Manager in US

Simplified and improved document distribution and approval, being used for training also.

Comments: Elimination of paper in the distribution and acknowledment of policies and training documents. Shortened time required for processes and tracks all responses in an accessible database capable of producing various reports: by policy, user, group, etc.

Pros:

Records kept of all acknowledgements, policies archived, various reports available by user, group, etc. Eliminated need for duplicate manuals. The ability to access policies and work on accreditation when out of the office is a huge help in accomplishing various tasks such as loading policies and proofs. The same applies to training documents - the signature pages are great proofs for compliance with CALEA standards. I helped select set up this product in my prior position with the Schaumburg Police Department.

Cons:

Some features take a longer learning curve (course creation) and the instructions often omit necessary steps required to commplete a process. Seems like the system was built from the bottom up - for example, when paging through "Tasks" in the Accreditation Module you have to move from page to page then scroll up from the bottom to stay in sequence.

Cody
Administrative Assistant in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

PowerDMS has streamlined our entire policy and procedure process.

Comments: The single biggest benefit is that all of our policies are in a centralized location. No more paper binders, and no more having to track down every old copy when a revision needs to be made.

Pros:

All of the program features are very easy to use. The best thing I can say about DMS is that it works exactly the way you would expect it to. The features are all very straightforward. Honestly, most experienced computer users don't require any specialized training in DMS. Even our directors who are less tech savvy catch on with DMS fairly quickly.

Cons:

The only complaint I have heard routinely from my directors is that the file size limits can make it difficult to utilize DMS for training since videos, and even some PowerPoint presentations are too large to upload. They can be hosted in a different location and linked to the trainings in DMS, but this adds complications. The more complicated a training is, the less likely our employees are to complete it.

Luana
Support Service Sergeant in US
Law Enforcement Software, 51–200 Employees

Couldn't do my job without PowerDMS

Comments: I am the only person managing CALEA accreditation, training and policy release. Without the tools and functionality of PowerDMS there is no way I could do my job without assistance. We even use the tests for new employees and some of our job promotions. The archive features have allowed me to assist internal affairs with documentation of when a particular version of policy was signed off by the employee. Alerts are also critical to keep the employees aware of when items are needing there attention. The report function is easy to use and makes communicating with supervisors on items their employees may not have completed by the deadline. I have used the program for years and have seen wonderful progress as the program features advance and grow. Again, I can't emphasis enough that I could not do my job without more people if I did not have PowerDMS!

Pros:

Multiple functions covering all the aspects and components needed to manage accreditation.

Cons:

Doesn't have a rolling due date window for when new employees start. They start have over 100 overdue documents.

Lori
Co-worker Relations in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Game Changer

Comments: Using the PowerDMS system has made communication about policy changes so much more efficient. Now, instead of passing information through layers of management, we can connect directly with our employees. It also has allowed us to distribute documents that are unique to certain groups of employees - all with no paper filing to personnel files! This system has been very well received in our company. It gives managers and employees the ability to keep up to date & find information easily.

Pros:

The user interface is simple and easy to understand; the system allows for multi-state document management (state specific policies/notices can be distributed easily); a paperless solution means no filing; it allows for easy collaboration on policy changes; and the ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC customer support!!

Cons:

I wish there were clearer distinctions for document security between front line managers/admin users and policy developers. In order to run reports on whether an employee has signed a currently published version of a policy, your security also allows you the ability to see current draft versions.

Steven
US
Law Enforcement Software, 51–200 Employees

The best system I have ever used.

Comments: I would describe myself as an advanced software application user administrator. I am the user administrator for several systems for my agency and have been a decision-maker in purchasing such systems. I am also a very discerning and critical user myself. PowerDMS is hands-down the best computer system of ANY kind I have ever used. Its user interface is simple and elegant, its design and functionality are logical, and the user support (videos, step-by-step instructions, phone support) sets the standard by which all others pale in comparison. We continue to find new ways to take advantage of the system's flexibility. Does it do everything I want it to do? Of course not. But this is perhaps my favorite thing about the company. They are constantly working to improve the product and actively include their users in the process. I live in constant fear that the other shoe will someday drop. I do not give this five stars in all categories lightly. Fantastic!

Julie
Asst. Accreditation Manager in US

Incredibly powerful tool

Comments: We never have to wonder if our people are up to date or know where to find information. This has made that an easy and very automated function compared to old fashioned paper and folder methods. I cannot begin to describe how invaluable that is to us.

Pros:

The automation of a lot of processes that we manually managed prior to this has made our workload much easier. A single source repository for data tracking is immeasurably valuable!

Cons:

Honestly, the only "con" in my opinion is that sometimes the software times out when I am actually doing a task like reviewing a document. It doesn't seem to sense when you are scrolling down the document. That can get frustrating, but the flip side of that is I very much understand the security aspect of why that is done.

frank
Counselor in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Power DMS vs Sharepoint

Comments: To go from Sharepoint to Power DMS was like night and day. Searching for a document or policy was dreadful in the past, with Power DMS, its a breeze.

Pros:

The ease in which to search and locate documents or policies is superior to other software.

Cons:

The list pulled up of possible matches when searching by keyword or phrase can be ambiguous and or long.

Jose
Professional Standards Coordinator in US
Public Safety, 51–200 Employees

Transformative

Comments: Everything is one place and it's digital and everyone with my department can come and log in and get all of the information in one place.

Pros:

All policies, procedures, guidelines, training, certificates, forms, memorandums and open records requests are all in one place. Major reduction in paper and ink usage. Can hold employees accountable. Extremely easy to update documents and notify other employees of changes. Workflow feature makes it so much easier to get feedback from everyone involved.

Cons:

That is can't upload documents and information by osmosis. I've been using the software for a while now and I really can't think of a single thing which I don't like about it.

PowerDMS provides the agency with a multi-faceted tool to track policies, procedures, and training.

Comments: The greatest benefit to PowerDMS for the agency is associated with the accreditation process. The ability to track policies and procedures while creating electronic assessments saves the agency time and money.

Pros:

PowerDMS is an easy tool to learn. The more that you use the program the better it is. We are now able to successfully track policies, procedures and training in one program which includes the ability to track changes and verify signatures.

Cons:

The timeout aspect for Administrators can be problematic however; this is a minor issue. The second minor issue is that although the training videos provide a lot of information, they can sometimes move too fast.

Jessica

Power DMS Review

Comments: We are CALEA Accreditated, and we use Power DMS for Accreditation, also we just purchased the full suite, so we are starting to use it for training purposes.

Pros:

I love the ease of uploading and highlighting attachments in Power DMS. I also like the side by side feature that shows you what wording changes were made within a standard and when it was made.

Cons:

The highlighting feature, that it is not attached to words, so when a change is made in language, you have to go back and re-highlight some things.

Rich
Training/Accreditation Manager in US
Law Enforcement Software, 11–50 Employees

One-stop Shop for Internal Documents

Comments: Overall, PowerDMS has been a great tool to keep track of policies, notices and other internal documentation that never had a single home. Finding things is a lot easier than it used to be.

Pros:

My favorite part about PowerDMS is how robust its change-tracking capabilities are. Our policies change often, but it's also important to be able to refer back to the policy that was in effect at the time of an incident. Tracking training and certification is a huge help too.

Cons:

Probably the learning curve. Super simple for regular users, but on the administration side figuring out how to create workflows and courses took some time.

James
Lieutenant in US
Law Enforcement Software, 11–50 Employees

PowerDMS makes document management much easier.

Comments: We've entered the 21st century with PowerDMS. Policy development, tracking general/ special orders and some training on the system is incredible. PowerDMS puts accountability in all of our employee's own hands.

Pros:

Ease of use, tracking polices, managing revisions. I'm a novice and I can still get it done without much tech support. After never having a system like PowerDMS, I don't see how we operated. Accountability is the key to most all LE's success and failures. PowerDMS assures that everyone is on the same page.

Cons:

The software can get a little complex with uploading video's. It would be a little more user friendly if there were more options. Having to convert files when you don't have the software is a pain A built in MP4 converter would make life easier.

Babette
Sr. Admin. Assist. to Fire Chief in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

PowerDMS is a great platform for document management and has streamlined our processes.

Comments: Greater staff accountability, less process, and one place to go for all of our procedural documents.

Pros:

The customer support staff at PowerDMS is invested in providing the user with the best experience possible and it shows with each and every phone call and/or chat session! The ease of document edits using tools (Microsoft products) our staff are already familiar with provided a smooth transition. Document assignments and signature authentication, along with tests on the information provided, eliminates confusion as to whether or not the user read and understood the material provided. The help community provides great resources and solves the stickiest problems.

Cons:

Workflows! But who doesn't. They are challenging in any software application environment. The dashboard tabs drive me crazy, you don't see everything you need to do at one glance.