• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.3 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.2 /5

About Lightspeed Retail

This cloud-based POS centralizes inventory management, employee management, sales reporting & accounting across locations and channels.

Learn more about Lightspeed Retail

Laurel P.
  • Reviewed on 2021-02-02

"Not suited for small businesses, Big Box Store Perfect!"

Comments: Frustrating. Doosync - the migration company, by the way was awesome!

Pros: I think it makes accepting online sales easy but that's about it for me.

Cons: I didn't realize how much I LOVED Lightspeed On-Site until we switched to Retail.
We were recommended to move to Lightspeed Retail because On-Site is old technology, however this program is way inferior for small businesses. Once we were contacted to move to Retail coincidentally our On-Site started having issues like our subscription wasn't renewed and our e-Com store was turned off randomly. Not really knowing what was going on... it made sense to change to the cloud based program they were really encouraging us to move to. Now that we have gone live I realize this program is not as complex regarding small businesses, and offers very little customizations for our personal style. I was told the Analytics feature for $1000 would give me the options I need to customize the program to our business such as implementing sales targets our staff could see and a customizable dashboard.... don't think it can. It really just gives you more reports than a one brick & mortar plus online store needs. It's not relevant. Also....we thought moving to retail with our physical and eCom store would run smoother and that gift cards would work between both platforms. Again... not the case. Gift cards are not available online nor can in store cards be used online without a lot of effort in making that happen. I think if you owned multiple stores that just reordered the same inventory and didn't care about labels or gift cards this would be the perfect system for you!

by Lightspeed on 2021-02-18

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the recent switch from OnSite to Retail. We see that you have been in touch with our Customer Engagement team and we encourage you to continue working with them.

Lightspeed POS

• Reviewed on 2021-02-02
Roryn V.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-19

"Lightspeed at Lobos Coffee"

Comments: I'm in the customer service business and having the ability to call [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been a great asset when starting a business. He's made all the difference in the world having Lightspeed.

Pros: Lightspeed is easy to use and easy setup. It a very cost-effective system as I looked at multiple system. They have added on options that help with online order (which I have not activated yet, but I plan to).

Cons: I would like to be able to customize live reports. Ex. compare hour by hour from last week to this week. Or be able to compare trends from week to week on sale and customer volume.

• Reviewed on 2021-05-19
Carley S.
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-04-29

"Lightspeed is great on the front side, and a nightmare on the backside"

Comments: -We switched to Lightspeed from ShopKeep because we needed to manage the inventory of our 5 locations in one place. That part works okay, once you figure out all the idiosyncrasies of the restock and reorder system. We had to hire a person just to manage the work-arounds we put in place to make Lightspeed a functional system for my business (because there are so many tedious extra steps).
-Feeling stuck is the worst feeling as a small business owner. Lightspeed make me feel stuck. I hit a new wall in the system regularly, and when I ask for what I need, the answer is ALWAYS "no, we can't do that." Some examples:
-The system does very little to tie sales and inventory together, it does next to nothing. You can export a sales report by item name, which is great. It tells you how many you sold, your sales numbers, and how many you have left. But the vendor information nor the department information for the sold items is not on the export. That makes the report useless in terms of knowing what vendors your business is coming from. Their answer is you can then export vendor sales separately. That is not helpful, because that export does not include item info or department info, nor does it tell you your on-hand inventory. There is not a single way in Lightspeed to view your sales and on-hand inventory in one place, and because their exported reports are so sparing of relevant information, I can't even create my own. This is a major flaw. With ShopKeep, at least I could get my data out of the system to manipulate it how I needed. With Lightspeed, I am SOL. -I don't even call customer service anymore because 100% of the time all they do is validate the problem and then offer no solution. Their consistent response is to tell me to make a suggestion to their developers. -I have been in business 10 years. We have 5 locations, and a website. I have 40 employees. I think Lightspeed would work for a single location or 2 location business. But any more than the system creates more work than it takes away. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed with Shopkeep.

Pros: The check-out system is nice and easy.
For multi-locations it is helpful to see sales and inventory in one place.

Cons: -there is no flexibility in the system. The way Lightspeed wants you to see and retrieve your data is the ONLY way you can get your data. And their way 90% of the time is not relevant to the basic needs of a retailer to analyze and evaluate their business.
-Customer Service is not responsive. The company does not seem willing to listen to complaints or provide work arounds to the rigidity of the system.
- The eCom site is FULL of problems that they do not have a handle on. There are many limitations with the way you have to present information on the site.
-It's very expensive for what you get. I was willing to pay a premium for a system I was told would exceed our needs and expectations. For the 2 things it does well, there are 98 headaches.
-They do not offer refunds or a way out of your contract if you are unhappy.

• Reviewed on 2017-04-29
Shawn E.
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-19

"Best business purchase EVER"

Comments: After investing in a competing product and being incredibly disapointed, we were faced with a tough decision; do we make the change to lightspeed only a month after investing $$$ that we did not get any value from?
We decided to make the jump and were rewarded with the best upgrade our business has ever seen. This system is very easy to use. We have saved money and become more organized through efficient inventory management. Lightspeed has made our customers happy throughfast and organized checkout and allowed our staff to be the best they can be. Our service department has never been more organized. I feel like it has consolidated multiple areas of management and allowed more time to fucus on business. We re-invested for multi-years and could not ask for more from a POS.

Pros: Lightspeed is easy and efficient to operate. From training new employees to hectic busy days, Lightspeed reduces human errors and allows our staff and business to achieve their fullest potential.

Cons: As a relatively small business, it would be nice to have different register modes for convenience without purchasing an add on register.

Amanda S.
Sales Associate

"Capital City Luggage"

Comments: We are a retail and repair shop that has 1 location. We were looking at a way of integrating our online inventory to our retail, so our inventory can be managed. There are very few things we would change about this platform. Its nice that as the company develops, they listen to customers needs and make relevant changes based on that. It's almost a 1 stop shop for being able to run a successful business.

Pros: - ecom and retail link seamlessly
-open and close cashes easy for staff
-each staff has own login to track sales progress and customers
- can limit staffs access to certain tabs that are irrelevant
-painlessly easy to submit orders, and create new product
-can easily provide quotes for potential customers
-easy to do inventory checks from your cell phone, great for purchasing at trade shows or counting stock in warehouse.

Cons: Cons: -Limited integrated payments
-Limited ways to get content linked to other selling platforms
-Blog
-doesn't do penny rounding for cash sales (canada doesn't use pennies)
- creating a work order- we cannot add or remove tabs that show on work orders
-system crashes during work hours, (bugs in system) approx every 3 months, which means we have to use manual receipts and cash only.

Shane R.
Computer Hardware, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-01

"Lightspeed Retail Changed the way we run out business"

Comments: We migrated from Lightspeed Onsite to Lightspeed retail nearly a year ago now, and the move has been fantastic. I did a LOT of research before the move to ensure we could take our Onsite Data over. Actually turned out there was some Workorder data that wouldn't migrate, but the upside to move to retail outweighed this by a long way. (As as work around, we simply left LightSpeed Onsite running side by side to Retail, and refer back only occasionally to Onsite. Isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be) Lightspeed retail is quick and powerful. Inventory management is completely accurate, and keeping track of special orders for customers is a breeze. We used to keep manual systems in place to keep track, but these have been retired. Customer management is excellent, keeping track of who owes what and what customer has how much on deposit for special orders. Lightspeed retail also integrates easily into our Tyro POS system, making credit card payments easy and accurate, no fear of adding or worse, leaving a zero off of the bill. Work orders can be colour coded to show where jobs are up to, and we keep all customer notes in the system. With LS retail being cloud based, I can even send a tech out onsite with and iPad and a Mobile Payment device and invoice, take payment and close a job before the tech leave customer site. On top of this, I have integrated a third party application called Service Reign to manage emails to customers post job to glean customer feedback.

Pros: LS Retail is smart, accurate and quick. Inventory management is great, and reporting is comprehensive. This is everything we need to efficiently run our business. Being a cloud based system, we can track the business remotely.

Cons: LS Retail (coming from LS Onsite), can be a little clunky at first, however once you understand the work flow of the system, it all makes sense.

• Reviewed on 2019-10-01
Zondre W.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019-06-14

"Great integrated system"

Comments: Lightspeed has been great. We have been using it for over a year and it has met my expectations. Whenever I request help, which isn't that often anymore they are quick to respond.

Pros: The best feature of LIghtspeed is the analytics package. As a senior manager you can spend a lot of time calculating your performance manually in excel. But the Analytics package takes care of all of that. It's easy to see the performance of your inventory, employees and marketing at any time. There are also a lot of apps that work with Lightspeed that make it the most functional POS system I've used. The fact that the ecommerce is integrated as well makes it a great fully integrated system. You could pay a lot more to piece together all the of the systems you need. Or you could spend a huge amount of money creating a custom system.

Cons: There are some small idiosyncrasies like not adjusting sync times for your local time zone. So, yesterday is never accurate you have to wait for the next days sync to get have accurate information. I would also like to be able to have our time management app sync employee time to Lightspeed so we don't have to enter it manually. I've given up on tracking employee hourly performance for this reason. Or if they offered a better time clock management natively that would help. I'd also like them to include the previous year comparisons in their dashboard. And, I'd like to look at seasonal performance rather than just month to month and week to week.

• Reviewed on 2019-06-14
James G.
  • Reviewed on 2019-06-15

"Lightspeed makes retailing easier."

Pros: The user interface was my first draw to Lightspeed. Ease of use and mostly easy workflows pulled me in. We also like the numerous integratabtle add ons available. The multi-store feature works well.

Cons: It did not believe in negative numbers but that is changing. We do not like that custom fields don't save the same way as other standard fields.

• Reviewed on 2019-06-15
Rebekah B.
Retail
    4.5 /5
    4.5 /5
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2016-09-12

"Lightspeed Retail review from retailer"

Pros: We have used Lightspeed Retail for over 2 years now for our seasonal retail business as well as a small wholesale operations that includes manufacturing/production. While small scale compared with many POS users, we have unique and demanding needs and have struggled to find a good software interface. Lightspeed has been a solid performer and worked well for us. We have a wide range of part time employees with various levels of tech savvy and expertise. Lightspeed is intuitive and user-friendly in basic procedure – checkout, returns, applying discounts, holding or suspending sales and adding customers. Lightspeed was on time with EMV-certified terminal support by the October 2015 deadline and has worked well with Cayan. Adding products is straightforward. We only use the most basic features of purchase orders and inventory management – we do not rely on Lightspeed to generate orders based on stock but those look like useful features for larger operations. Reporting is comprehensive and makes it easy to track sales and trends and reports are easily exported to Excel. Customer service has been prompt and when there are long wait times, you have the option to leave your number and receive a return call. Follow through on issues has been good and while there have been challenges, problems are resolved in a timely manner. For the products we produce, the “build” function works well to create the pieces from parts in inventory.

Cons: The main unresolved issue I have had with Lightspeed is that it rounds the cost of items to two decimal places. We deal in 100s of pieces that are fractions of a cent and therefore simply cannot track costs. All of these items show as have no cost which is extremely problematic and exponentially so when a piece is created from several “no cost” items. I was told almost two years ago that a fix had been requested by many customers and indeed it was listed several times in the “Lightspeed Ideas” but to my knowledge nothing has been done. If this could be fixed, Lightspeed would be an almost perfect POS solution for us! Also it is spendy. But I guess you get what you pay for.

• Reviewed on 2016-09-12
Carol B.
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-15

"Why I Chose Lightspeed"

Comments: I especially love the 24 hour help desk.

Pros: Customer service is available 24 hours. During the pandemic obviously the wait time for help took longer but most of the time it was efficient and easy to implement. I am a technological dinosaur and the learning curve was an uphill battle but customer service always came through for me.
So happy that the payment options finally were added.

Cons: It has taken me longer than I had expected to integrate my existing business with Lightspeed but that could be because of the pandemic and the wait time involved to get help. I am having difficulties getting my website finished so I can integrate with e-commerce.
I wish the billing and administrative department was open on weekends.

• Reviewed on 2020-12-15
Marie H.
Co-Owner
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-08

"Definitely worth your time to try!"

Pros: We love how easy this was to set up. It does not require buying $20,000 worth of equipment like our first POS system did back in 2008. In fact it can easily be used with just an iPad! We are not computer savvy at all and this system has never confused us or new employees. We love everything about this system! So much that if we ever strike up a conversation with a fellow business owner that mentions they are thinking about a new system you better believe they are going to hear all about this one! You can read all about the features and I could tell you everything that we love or you can just be smart like we were and just try it. If you do want to talk to an actual person that is using the system you can certainly get in touch with one by calling one of the helpful reps at Lightspeed. They will connect you with a business owner that will tell you everything you want to know about their daily experience. It helped us make the decision to pull the trigger and get the ball rolling!

Cons: The only aggravation that I can think of right now happens on the iPad. If I am searching for a specific vendor’s PO. I can’t quickly type the vendor name in. You choose the first letter of the vendor and then you have to arrow down. Pretty dumb to complain about this, I know. It takes seconds really. It also could be me not knowing how to use my computer - I did mention how bad I am.

• Reviewed on 2020-12-08
Joe O.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-17

"The best pos software"

Comments: Great experience overall.

Pros: saves a lot of time, compared to a Maitre D and others. When I hire new staff they are ready to operate alone after half a day of training. Easy to set up menu, self explanatory. Easy to desing and customise your screen with your kind of operation, (I do table service and grab and go) Great updates, the sofware is getting smarter every couple of months. No heavy backstores and no crashes in 2 years. Custumer service is quik and efficient (called them only once in 2 years)

Cons: a bit pricy but would not go back to anything elese.

• Reviewed on 2020-02-17
Barry G.
  • Reviewed on 2018-02-08

"Exceptional - It's amazing what you can do with Lightspeed Point of Sale & eCom"

Comments: Quick reliable and organized access to: sales, inventory, customer information. A software system that allows me to create POs, send them electronically to vendors, document all aspects of product ordering. A system that provides an eCommerce public facing front-end that is highly customizable.

Pros: Ease of use (given how flexible and intricate the program is). Browser based for legacy PCs - with multiple browser tabs allowed to easily switch between POS modules. iPad based app for portability to remote sales locations. Even works on smartphones for quick updates and status checks. Cloud based - therefore, access your business information anywhere you are Internet connected. Great support staff - knowledgeable, friendly and insightful. eCom module (additional fee) plugs in seamlessly allows you to sync retail SKUs so that they are public facing via your Lightspeed hosted website. Item sold on-line via eCom is immediately updated to the cloud and reflected in POS (and vice versa).

Cons: While the POS and eCom integration is wonderful, you still must manage inventory on both platforms in order to get the desired results. For example, when new inventory arrives you receive the items through your POS based purchase order. This boosts your inventory and handles new/updated cost, retail pricing, etc., and passes all of this on to eCom. However, you then need to access eCom to update public facing product narratives, SEO related fields, related products, additional category related references, etc.. So, while both programs are great and work together - it will be even better when FULL integration of the two programs is achieved.

• Reviewed on 2018-02-08
Steven C.
General Manager
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-10-08

"Awesome software, works great, super fast & efficient"

Comments: Very positive, we have used for over a year now and it has made our business much faster and more dynamic, and it integrates with our eComm platform very nicely.

Pros: Software works great, very fast and very dynamic. Love the interface, clean, simple, and easy to use. Great customer service.

Cons: Item imports from our last POS were tricky, loyalty program is good, but not super expansive and requires use of customer's cell phone number

• Reviewed on 2020-10-08
Becca M.
Associate
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-23

"Awesome Online Point of Sale System!"

Comments: We have been using Lightspeed for over 3 years. It has been a great system for our retail book and gift store. We did a lot of research on point of sale systems and it was (and still is) the best system we can find. Specifically, the software is easy to use, adaptable to most business models, and accessible anywhere. The inventory management feature continues to be superior. We are able to precisely track inventory at all times. The reporting menu is also extensive, which is super helpful. Aside from a few lengthy wait times on support (90% of the time the support is fantastic and our issue has been resolved), Lightspeed has been a great decision for us!

Pros: -Inventory Management Feature
-Reporting Features
-Ease of Use
-Adaptability

Cons: -on occasion there were long support wait times

• Reviewed on 2020-11-23
Samantha S.
  • Reviewed on 2019-05-31

"Best Of The Best!"

Comments: We've been using Lightspeed for over 2 years now and love all of the features we have access to with this system. We can easily enter in purchase orders, check a wide variety of reports in real time, and integrate our store inventory with our website instantaneously. Choosing Lightspeed was a no brainer for our business. No regrets with this decision.

Pros: User Friendly
Quick Setup
Multitude of features

Cons: Cost is high
Can't offer gift cards to online shoppers

• Reviewed on 2019-05-31
Johnny S.
Consumer Electronics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-03-29

"Finally Found the Right One!!"

Comments: Best business decision I have made, especially the fact the POS and E-COMMERCE are run from the same system and data base. Paired with Lightspeed payments I now have a complete package all manageable in one system!

Pros: I struggled for two years with a POS designed for restaurants, poorly modified for retail. Inventory, discounts and sales became so much easier with Lightspeed. Integration with my existing hardware was seamless nd a big part of my decision to change.

Cons: The built in HELP software is out dated and the instructions are not clear due to the fact procedures and page set ups have changed

• Reviewed on 2020-03-29
Erin T.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-04-26

"Love this program, so glad I switched"

Comments: I own a small retail shop and utilize LightSpeed Retail and LightSpeed eCom. I moved from Checkout for Mac to LightSpeed when my needs required more accurate reporting and a more thorough online presence. While I felt a little pushed during initial email/phone contact, the information was complete and to the point. I had absolutely no problems with the transfer of data over and the ease in setting up new products is seamless, once the concept is explained. Their technical support team is wonderful and has always resolved any of my issues right away. I love the ease in use of the checkout. I have several seasonal employees and assuming they remember their passwords, can jump right back in where they left off, no retraining needed. My husband loves the incredible detail of the reports and the import into Quickbooks works just fine. eCom is a huge improvement over the old 'webstore' product. I set this up on my own also...just spending time in the product will take you far, then schedule your onboard training. That way you already have questions in mind and they can review what you have established. We have over 8000 sku's, LightSpeed handles it seamlessly. In the event of an minor outage, the IT team jumps to fix the issue promptly. I also added Cayan payment processing and their Genius terminal. No more double entry and payments are accurately reported. I love that this terminal communicates with the program without the use and expense of a payment bridge. They also reduce my monthly processing charges. I haven't once regretted coming onboard. LOVE IT!!!

Pros: Accurate reporting and a more thorough online presence.
Ease of transfer of data over and in setting up new products
Quick to respond technical support team
ADDED - Cayan integrated payment processing and their Genius terminal.

Cons: No offline availability. If internet is down, you can't do anything.
No automatic notice of duplicate customer names.
No automatic account creation of customer names with credit card payments.
Unable to add single item on multiple item sale to special order.

• Reviewed on 2017-04-26
Assistant General Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019-02-15

"Lightspeed POS for Retail and Restaurant"

Comments: Overall I really do like our Lightspeed POS system, and am glad we use it in our retail/restaurant hybrid situation. I trust that they'll continue to work to integrate them at an accelerated pace.

Pros: We use Lightspeed on both the restaurant and bar sides of our business, moreover, the Lightspeed Retail feeds directly to our eCom site. I especially like that there are a lot of inventory management and reporting features on the retail side, and in a perfect world it should be a perfect tool for managing the physical and financial aspects of inventory. There are lots of different ways to handle customer payments, including credit accounts. We do have a few thousand SKUs, but still, Lightspeed POS still seems to work for us.

Cons: I do not like that the interfaces for retail/restaurant/eCom are not the same. Reporting is relatively intuitive within each branch of the software, but it seems like if you're selling a comprehensive package then you would make them similarly intuitive so that going between different parts of one business is seamless. The Lightspeed Restaurant POS reporting seems a bit flawed to me - it does not offer any sort of till reconciliation information, despite the fact that it asks you to count in and count out your till every day.

• Reviewed on 2019-02-15
Adnan V.
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-22

"Best POS System , very easy to use , i have 2 stores and its easy to use & Learn ."

Comments: 100% Satisfied , thats why i am with Lightspeed POS FROM Last 2 years .

Pros: Very Easy to use and didn't lose any inventory .

Cons: Great , easy to use , everything is great about this system .

• Reviewed on 2019-07-22
Marc F.
COO
Arts & Crafts, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-08-14

"Lightspeed has been a lifesaver"

Comments: Lightspeed has saved me hours of time by integrating multiple systems. I really swear by this product! It has helped me grow my business.

Pros: Its ease of use is probably the number one factor, but it is followed by the live inventory on the internet. The program is continuously evolving and improving and the staff has been great!

Cons: The only real draw back I see is that there is no offline function.

• Reviewed on 2019-08-14
Tony G.
  • Reviewed on 2020-09-08

"My experience with Lightspeed"

Comments: From the app add-ons, constant improvement to their support, Lightspeed has been there all of the way!

Pros: Several things...
1. Ease of implementation
2. Ease of training
3. Handle inventory, POS and eCom all in one place.

Cons: The only issue I have is when the internet goes down, you are totally down.

• Reviewed on 2020-09-08
Gisela H.
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-30

"Online store for anybody"

Comments: Amazing! 10/10

Pros: We use the e-com and it's great. It's affordable, very easy and accessible to anybody.
The themes are versatile and we can change lay outs at anytime. Our plan allows us to publish in 3 languages, and it's very easy the set up. Integration with SEO makes our work more efficient as well.
We used the support team several times during the set up, and every time they were very supportive. 10/10

Cons: Nothing really. I did have a free trial period with a leading competition company, and Lightspeed is much easier the set up.

• Reviewed on 2019-09-30
Facilities Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018-12-28

"A Consultant's Story:"

Pros: A former client of mine called and asked if I wanted to help implement a new cloud-based Retail system called Lightspeed. I thought to myself that "new" and "cloud-based" meant "limited functionality" and "slow-response". Boy, was I wrong - Lightspeed is Light-Years ahead of where I thought it would be! The Business functionality is superb. It covers a wide-range of business types and has many options. It is even "expandable" when it comes to storing extra data which pertains just to your business. It is simple for the small user and powerful for a large company. The "Service before the Sale" is GREAT! They guide you through just what you need. The "Ongoing Support" is a breath of fresh air! Each of my "logged cases" has been addressed in a timely manner (typically on the same call) and the answers were spot on. I've also found that the technology the system is based on is sound, secure and dependable. As a 42+ year veteran of the computing industry, I can say that Lightspeed "got it right" "right out of the stargate"... I am sold on Lightspeed! So much so that it is now a mainstay in my recommendations to clients who are seeking to "improve operations and automate processes". Respectfully, Mark, Owner of Central Operations (We run your computer systems for you so you can run your business!)

Cons: The expression of "having all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. You must properly design your network so you have a fallback option (such as a cellular data connection) in case of network outages.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018-12-28
Greg B.
  • Reviewed on 2020-09-23

"Simply the best for multi stores"

Comments: The best. Customer service is amazing. Have not had to call them in years over an issue, yet they do reach out to me to ask for any suggestions on improving their system.

Pros: LS is the best POS I have used for multi store operation. In the last eight years I have broken Bindo, NCR and Quickbooks. None of them could accurately track inventory transfers. Sometimes they would not populate or would just add ghost products and our inventory was a disaster. I would spend hours trying to get it straight. Trying to place PO's when you cannot trust your inventory counts is unacceptable. I have used LS the last four years and have never had an issue with multi store PO's or transfers and I execute an average of 15 per week with multiple vendors. The hours saved is well worth the few extra dollars. Like and believe in LS so much I invested in their stock.

Cons: nothing.

• Reviewed on 2020-09-23