• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.4 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.6 /5

About Aplos

Software designed for nonprofits and churches with fund accounting, contact management, giving tracking, reporting, and more.

Learn more about Aplos

William J.
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 2020-06-14

"Very Difficult and Complicated, With Poor Tech Support"

Comments: Not good. I need help, and the support never provides help that works.

Pros: Had potential for non-profits vs QuickBooks

Cons: Bank integration does not work. I've used QuickBooks for non-profits, with integration that works fine. In Aplos, what shows up in Aplos doesn't match what the banks say. Tech support answers fairly quickly, however, they come up with all kinds of solutions that don't work. And different people will offer a different solution. None of them work. Then they drop it leaving me hanging. I may go back to QuickBooks which once you get a few words down (business terms vs non-profit) it is actually quite easy, and more dependable.

by Aplos on 2020-06-19

Hi William! Thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had concerning bank integration. You also mentioned using QuickBooks instead, so if you don't mind I'll briefly speak to both. QuickBooks creates and maintains its own bank integration feature, whereas Aplos has a partnership with Plaid and Finicity, which are industry leaders in the space. Plaid and Finicity both connect with the financial institutions and pass the information back to Aplos. We have very little control over the information received. However, we do have a great relationship with both partners, and consistently work with them on improving the experience for our customers. As for using QuickBooks, this may be a better fit if you do not need Fund Accounting and donor management.
Our Customer Success Director, Alex Acree, will be reaching out personally to help troubleshoot the bank integration issues you're seeing. If you have any other questions or feedback please let us know.

• Reviewed on 2020-06-14
Cheryl D.
church secretary
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-12

"First Time User"

Comments: We are a fairly new to this program and I appreciating how this program works for me in regards to accounting and reporting. I am still working out a few issues on our end regarding the People side. Overall I like this product.

Pros: This product was fairly easy to learn, and what I needed help on was easily accessible through Help. The turnaround time for help was very quick. Sometimes they have to get back to me in a couple of days, but they always stay in touch to let me know they're researching the issue.

Cons: I am with a church. The Check In system, for us, was not working too well. Research was done and the application was tweaked to service us.
Regarding Reports: I would like to see the column titles stay as we scroll down, and would like to see column titles printed on multiple pages. When I asked for this I was told it had been submitted to the developers. I believe they will be able to adjust this.

• Reviewed on 2021-05-12
Brian R.
Seniior Pastor
  • Reviewed on 2017-01-04

"Great Church Software with wonderful customer service"

Comments: We have been very satisfied with Aplos as our main accounting software. The customer service has been top notch and many of our suggestions about improving the software have been implemented into new versions. Hoping for a more robust Contacts module (email, texting, more information tracking) in the future!

Pros: Its online. Multiple user access. Great reporting. Easy to use. Great customer service.

Cons: The Contacts module is very limited - would be great to have more contact management tools (email, texting, grouping, tracking) so that we wouldn't have to have a separate software for that.
Other software was somewhat disappointing - hasn't always worked correctly and a bit confusing on how it integrates with Aplos.

Stephanie H.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-01-25

"Easy to Use Software for Non profits"

Comments: I really liked the software and the compatibility to link it with your bank account. This software actually does assist with mailing out info to donors and setting up recurring donations etc.

Pros: I liked the ease of use and the fact that you could chat with representatives to assist with any questions. They also provided free webinars often to assist with fundraising tactics and other things.

Cons: Well if you utilize their promotions it is affordable but if not it can be a little costly for a starting non profit.

• Reviewed on 2019-01-25
Justine V.
Project Coordinator
Religious Institutions, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-04-23

"Affordable and Friendly"

Pros: This is extremely affordable software for everyday Church needs. Their customer support is extremely helpful. Interface is easy to manage.

Cons: I haven't had any issues with donor management and this software. It's a great purchase for organizations.

• Reviewed on 2018-04-23
Tammy D.
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

"Excellent program"

Comments: I have used this program for at least 5 years. The program has grow as my needs change. There are parts of the program that I don't use because I am the treasurer for a small church and I don't need them at this time. Anytime I have contacted the company I have received excellent help.

Pros: Has all of the reports I need even for the contribution reports for taxes. Just a click and you have all of your reports in hand ready to sign and send out.

Cons: Some times I get lost in all of the reports because there are so many.

Steve K.
  • Reviewed on 2017-12-07

"Easy and very effective"

Pros: We as a church have been opened since 2012. Aplos was the first nonprofit software accounting system we started using. I needed a simple but effective tracking system which I could track my member's contribution. At the year end, I am able to generate a report for all my members regarding their contribution to their taxes. It is simple and effective.

Bonnie R.
Mediator, Counselor, Trainer
  • Reviewed on 2012-05-15

"Aplos Review"

Comments: Aplos meets the basic needs of small nonprofits. I hope it will develop the software to allow users to customize receipts and print individual batches of receipts with the YTD record for those givers.

Pros: Simple to use. Great customer service response. Affordable. Addresses the needs of small nonprofits.

Cons: Does not have capacity to create and maintain a budget. Cannot customize receipts with company logo. Cannot export in excel, only PDF. (See example from EFT the online donation service on our website.) Cannot print a batch of receipts as YTD, just all receipts YTD so I have to always pick which pages to print from the YTD export.

by Aplos Software on 2015-06-03

A lot has happened since this review. We now make it possible to maintain a budget, customizing statements and reports with your logo, exporting any report to Excel, and the ability to export annual contribution receipts either as a batch or individually. Thanks for being a loyal custom Bonnie!

• Reviewed on 2012-05-15
James T.
Treasurer (outgoing)
  • Reviewed on 2018-02-16

"New to both software and vendor - first impressions"

Comments: As a new client, the product and technical support to become familiarized with implementing this software has been superior, especially as compared to their competing vendors whom I've had to contact in this respect while in the process of evaluating which product best serves our needs.

Pros: Personally, the most appealing feature of this company's software is the attractive format in which all information is presented, along with the flexibility to analyze and report specific financial data that is compatible with what I've become familiarized with using previous methods of performing these tasks.

Cons: It does not offer all of the customization options I would like to have available for our reporting and accounting purposes. It also is considerably more costly than competing products, however those alternatives are intended to serve a much wider client type market and may be more price competitive as a result.

• Reviewed on 2018-02-16
Jim B.
  • Reviewed on 2017-07-08

"Bank integration weak and unreliable; 990 limited to EZ only"

Comments: This software has a long way to go before it can compete with alternatives whose bank integrations are solid and reliable.

Pros: SaaS architecture enables access from anywhere; the accounting is flexible; there are promising IRS 990 features, yet limited to just the EZ.

Cons: Bank integration is inconsistent and does not work for PayPal; does not offer WePay; even for mainstream banks the integration is unreliable. I worked with their support and developers for more than 6 months to some small success ... that was 30 days later lost. To this day the PayPal integration simply does not work, and both customer support and corporate leadership are SILENT and unresponsive.

• Reviewed on 2017-07-08
Elizabeth c W.
Treasurer-Board of Directors
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees

"Pros and cons"

Comments: I have a dilemma with this product. There are serious benefits and drawbacks to it. We are such a small charity that it is hard for us to budget for a year. Below I will describe.

Pros: It has information on how to apply for grants. It has information on how to attract board members. I have reports I can just print out for my board of directors and it has a way to print letters to donors. It has budgeting capability, so I can present a budget to the board of directors as well.

Cons: It took me a long time to learn and is not easy to learn. I want to edit transactions, but need to learn how. I don't even know how to access those transactions to edit them. I am not sure how to save my work and want to know how to back up my work. I am keeping all my transactions on excel in case they get misrepresented in my records on Aplos. So this is double work for me.

Yoojin K.

"Very good and simple"

Comments: It is a very simple and easy accounting system. I have not used all the features but I am glad they are available

Pros: Simple and easy

Cons: I am not sure

Ray S.
Dir. of Operations
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees

"APLOS 2017"

Pros: The system was easy to set up and the daily use was easy for the accountant and the management leaders to uses also.

Cons: I have any negative thought about the program that would be helpful to future possible users of this program.

Stephanie H.

"Awesome software"

Comments: Since I have been using this software it's been phenomenal with its consistency and being so easy to use. This software assists with tracking donations and sending out reminders to previous donators to keep the donations coming in. Also, it has a tool to link to the business account to help keep track and monitor spending and placing these items in the categories that they fall under for accounting purposes. I truly enjoy it and lastly it is very affordable

Tommy S.

"Love this software"

Comments: I love Aplos. It is very easy to use for someone who isn't an accountant and the customer support is the best I've ever experienced. I would recommend.

Pros: Ease of use

Cons: Some features id like are missing

Shawn K.
Director of youth
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-11-21

"Easy to use and great customer service"

Comments: The customer service has been so helpful learning the software and accounting in general.

Pros: I’m new to book keeping and this is so easy to use and the customer service is helpful.

Cons: Recently they changed their pricing which makes it more expensive.

• Reviewed on 2018-11-21
Swim Instructor
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-21

"Takes care of the business I care most about."

Pros: I like the fact it is cloud based, so I can take it with me anywhere. It's more affordable versus other offerings.

Cons: I wish the reports were more robust and a little more organized.

• Reviewed on 2019-07-21
Tim S.
  • Reviewed on 2017-06-16

"Totally impressed!"

Pros: Ease of use. Web-based. Great support. Priced right. Easy setup. Up and going with minimal intervention.

Cons: Could not import budget. Outsourced payroll. Really, nothing more to add. I'm sorry it took me this long to discover aplos.

• Reviewed on 2017-06-16
Mary G.
Secretary/ Steward President
  • Reviewed on 2018-07-25

"Easier than quickbooks"

Comments: None

Pros: It really give a great printout for yearly tithes the breakdown was easy to read for the members to where there money was paid too.

Cons: We couldn't manage the banking aspect of the program the contribution and banking total double when entered.

• Reviewed on 2018-07-25
Dan M.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 2016-10-27

"Aplos"

Comments: This software is really helpful with using Paypal with my organization.

Pros: Interfaces with Paypal easily

Cons: Takes a little while to setup

• Reviewed on 2016-10-27
Elizabeth G.
Clinical Research Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-05-24

"Aplos"

Pros: I like that it links to my bank account. This makes it very easy to submit a payment.

Cons: I do not like that I cannot customize how often I want to submit a payment. The options for auto-pay are very limited. Also, I don't like that it does not save my payment information. It would be much easier if I did not have to redo these steps every time I made a payment.

• Reviewed on 2019-05-24
Tim A.
Lead Pastor
  • Reviewed on 2018-06-01

"Aplos is a great software to any bookkeeper at a church!"

Pros: I love how this is specifically for churches. So it uses church language and makes it easy to organize everything.

Cons: It doesn't have as much functionality as Quickbooks Online. Quickbooks Online has a better budgeting feature and you can do more with it.

• Reviewed on 2018-06-01
Chela E.
  • Reviewed on 2018-03-28

"Very Unique"

Pros: Had the privilege to do some work for my church and used this software to help with the funding and loved it. It was very user-friendly, had lots of features and widgets to make our lives easier.

Cons: Apart from the program itself, it doesn't have a lot of ways for one to do some customization on templates and different stuff you'd like to do, but overall, great buy!

• Reviewed on 2018-03-28
Clayton P.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 2016-09-06

"Best accounting for non profits"

Pros: When compare to all other this is the absolute best accounting for non profit. The donation management platform is worth it by itself. It a very crucial part in bringing in money to non profits and Aplos allows you to track all of the data.

Cons: The product was all around good, but the user interface itself took sometime to understand.

• Reviewed on 2016-09-06
Bruce M.
CFO
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-12-07

"Aplos is an easy to use double-entry accounting system ideal for a newly minted 501 C 3 such as Direct Giving Lab!"

Comments: Some functions (like tags) need better explanation - it looks like we should be able to easily generate the necessary data for our 990 filings but we won't know till we get there!

Pros: Intuitive to use
Navigation is straightforward
Most issues can be resolved with a quick look at the Help notes

Cons: A needed feature is the ability to quickly replicate repeating monthly data - for example DGL makes cash transfers to client families on a monthly basis and while the client name is in the system along with contact details, etc - we have to manually enter the same $$ amount transferred every month. It would be helpful to have an ability to easily import the data.