15 years helping Canadian businesses

About New Relic

New Relic is the only unified data platform that empowers engineers to get all telemetry paired with powerful full-stack analysis tools

Learn more about New Relic

Pros:

It is a well known software so everyone have heard about it and probably use it. And also there are a lot of tutorials from the website or from community.

Cons:

The designers and developers are clearly bad or mediocre.

New Relic ratings

4.2
4.2
4.5
4.0

8.2/10

New Relic has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 178 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used New Relic before?

Arjun
Arjun
Founder in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Seamless APM Setup and Heroku Integration

Comments: I went from having no APM solution to having a full-fledged monitoring system in mere minutes. New Relic's streamlined setup process and Heroku integration allowed me to start monitoring and optimizing my application's performance almost instantly. I mean, seriously, you can't beat that kind of efficiency.

Pros:

Setting up New Relic for my application was a walk in the park. With just a few clicks and some configuration, I was able to get the APM goodness flowing. And the integration with Heroku? Oh boy, it couldn't have been smoother. New Relic and Heroku make a dream team, providing valuable insights into application performance without any hassle or headache.

Cons:

let's talk about the UI. It's functional, no doubt, but it could use a bit of a facelift to enhance the user experience. A simpler and more intuitive interface would make navigating through the various monitoring features a joy. New Relic, take note: a clean and user-friendly UI can go a long way in keeping us users engaged and productive.

Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Good Tooling

Comments: Really good technical product, but for large enterprise environments the licence model is causing problems, it's user based

Pros:

Synthetic checks and alerts are very well and teams can get there information to troubleshoot their applications

Cons:

- Pricing and user Licence model, every year it's changing his pricing model and usage model - Frontend Monitoring

Keith
Project Manager in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Good tool for project management

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been able to manage my company's projects with ease.

Pros:

What a great tool! I love the user interface as it is so friendly. The pricing is also cheap. It requires so less training.

Cons:

It is working great. I have no issues using this tool.

Dylan
Dylan
Founder, Engineer in US
Internet, 10,000+ Employees

Worse each year

Comments: I've used New Relic for 6+ years across 3 different companies including my own. Overall they seem to be going downhill each year, sadly along with many tech companies now. Seem to be entrenched in their industry, trying to hound customers for more money each year, but simultaneously providing less value and no innovation. Meanwhile, many other companies provide many of their features with higher quality and for free. I've recently switched some things to AWS and other services because they are cheaper and more reliable.

Pros:

Has monitoring specific to the programming languages and database servers that we use

Cons:

Cost is extremely high compared to the value of the service being provided. Many of the features can be found on other platforms for free or cheap. The designers and developers are clearly bad or mediocre. Entire platform is wrought with bugs and decisions about UI and configuration that make no sense and do not actually help the users of the product. They have done multiple revamps of the UI, which I am actually totally fine with in general because I am happy to learn new things, but they simply have not been improvements. Just a reshuffling, often with added work required from me for no benefit, plus features that no longer work. Even lowest tier email support apparently requires paying more than $2000 per year. I was legitimately astounded when I discovered this. I already pay through the nose for this software, and when I tried to file a support request they informed me I had to post in the community. Really??? $2000 per year isn't enough to respond to one measly email support request? I give email support for free for all of my customers, even ones who don't pay, because I legitimately want to make my products as good as possible.

Allyson
Senior staff engineer in Germany
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Performance Monitoring Paradigm

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I noticed a sudden increase in response times for one of my application endpoints. With New Relic, I was able to drill down into the root cause, discovering that it was due to a database query that needed optimization.

Cons:

I least liked about New Relic is its pricing structure, which can be complex to understand and may become expensive as my monitoring needs grow.

Leon
Managing Director in Netherlands
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great tool for tracking the performance and health of our platform

Comments: I am using the web interface and the app multiple times a day to quickly see how the application is performing. The notifications in case of disruptions are convenient and very helpful.

Pros:

It's clean and simple to setup and gives a great dashboard which helps get a quick overview of the performance of our SaaS application.

Cons:

When using multiple modules on a bigger infrastructure it can get quite expensive. However we only use the basic version which gives us all the info we need.

Daniel
Daniel
Technical Lead in UK
Insurance Software, 11–50 Employees

A Great Observability platform

Pros:

We set up New Relic as we needed a observability platform that we could use to Troubleshoot infrastructure, view logs and use the synthetics to monitor our website's performance and availability.after going through a POC trial of using the tool we were very happy with the results and decided to do a 2 year deal with New Relic as it will help with our introduction and roll out of microservices.

Cons:

Some of the UI could be improved compared to the competitors to display information. Also the synthetics editors on other sites are slightly better with the ability to record what you want the synthetic to do rather than writing all the code yourself.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

New Relic Offers Simple-to-Set-Up Server Monitoring

Comments: New Relic is a great product/service that is extremely powerful and easy to use. They even have iOS/Android apps to stay up-to-date on server stats while away from your desk.

Pros:

I love how easy it was to get the New Relic agent installed on my Digital Ocean server. Within minutes it was piping in data to their dashboard.

Cons:

Making sense of the mountain of data is challenging. It takes time and effort to figure out what all the data means and how it can be useful to your organization. It is well worth the effort though.

Yeamin
Senior DevOps Engineer in Australia
Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

Good Observability Tool

Comments: NewRelic is a market leader in providing Alerting and monitoring of business critical servers in the Cloud.

Pros:

- Clearly understandable alerting and metrics rules - Alerts can be set using specific query language called NRQL - Easy integration with messaging tools like Splunk and paging tools like OpsGenie.

Cons:

- Log aggregation capabilities were not very enhanced.

keerthi
Product owner in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

New relic is perfect for monitoring

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Happy with the product overall and it has a good user interface and easy to use

Pros:

New relic has many features for active monitoring and getting access is pretty easy. Configuring and using the alerts to get the application insights is really good

Cons:

Maybe improvement to the monitoring in terms of code logs can be helpful for the developers

Joseph
Senior Experience specialist in India
Information Technology & Services, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best tool for APM , browser , mobile , synthetic and infrastructure monitoring

Comments: Amazing experience and great tool for any large enterprise to monitor their applications in one place and identify any anomaly without delay

Pros:

New relic provides good KPIs 1) 4xx , 5xx and response time in application 2) CPU and memory usage in infrastructure 3) Mobile app crash and http error rate4) Browser performance metrics5) synthetic test availability

Cons:

It can improve more on distributed tracing

Dhavan
Software Engineer in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

One of the best product to monitor application in realtime

Comments: I had a great experience with the new relic. I am still using it to monitor my product in real time. It is giving me useful insights about my product in real time

Pros:

New Relic offers a comprehensive set of features that can be valuable for businesses. Some of the notable aspects include real-time monitoring capabilities, proactive alerts and notifications, customizable dashboards for data visualization, robust performance metrics and analytics, transaction tracing for granular analysis, and integration with other tools and systems. These features empower businesses to gain deep insights into application performance, troubleshoot issues efficiently, optimize performance, and enhance user experience. New Relic's focus on real-time visibility, comprehensive data collection, and proactive monitoring helps businesses detect and address potential issues promptly, leading to improved application reliability and customer satisfaction.

Cons:

the complexity of setting up and configuring the tool for legacy applications. Other than that I can't think of any negative point.

Niraj
Product Specialist in India
Events Services, 11–50 Employees

Simple and intuitive tool with necessary insights for any application

Pros:

Gives simple and detailed performance insights for each part of your application or environment and that too in real-time! Great that it highlights errors and issues down to the line number in the code. Makes the job really simple to troubleshoot and fix issues. Setting up timely email to get updates about the performance is a good feature for managers to have.

Cons:

The paid version is too expensive for a medium scale startup like us. It may be worthwhile when looking to scale things up to a great extent. Also the tool may be overwhelming for a new user since it provides loads of information at once. For the free user there's no one to give an onboarding tour or a demo, so that may turn off some new joinees.

Tarang
DevOps Engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Pros & Cons of New Relic

Pros:

1. It has a great interface to debug server-side performance issues.2. Since it runs on your server you get accurate real-user page load times.3. It provides the ability to write custom queries also.4. It also provides the ability to customize monitoring parameters.5. It has a fine stacktrace which highlights the faulty code line by line.

Cons:

New Relic has some shortfalls:1. Its Python agent has many memory leaks which lead to resource hogging.2. It has very limited support for the Tornado web framework.3. New Relic works best if your app has some kind of web API, otherwise, it's not much of a use.4. Its interface is a bit tricky, so goodbye ease of use.5. It can be sometimes difficult to get your threshold limits correctly.

kalaiselvan
Integration Engineer in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

New Relic Review

Comments: Overall, it is a good monitoring system to identify the bottle necks on the systems effectively.

Pros:

New Relic can be used to monitor system performance effectively in the enterprise systems. It gives better visibility on number of API Hits with Success and Failure Counts. It helps to have the centralized monitoring systems for all the servers, processors and API's. we can set up a prompt alert for the SLA failure on the performance of any API's or Processors. Data visualization on the success and error rate shows the clear picture on the performance.

Cons:

Licensing is too expensive. Some time page hangs up and we need to reload the page. It focus only on the software's. would like to have hardware performance monitoring.

James
CTO in Canada
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Allowed us to get more insight into errors that would have been difficult to understand.

Comments: Insight into how the software stack is performing. It also shows us certain errors or slow downs that we'd have no other way of seeing.

Pros:

I like the professional nature of the software and the in-depth inspection of how our software stack works it surfaces. It makes certain classes of issues much easier to see.

Cons:

I used to really not like the cost of the service when accessing them as a startup. I believe they've found a price point that makes sense some of the time. It is still hard to understand the model if you are using it outside of a SaaS provider.

Internet, 51–200 Employees

An Admins Dream

Pros:

The easy to use interface is one of my favorite parts, especially from administrators point of view. -From the user page, you can quickly see who has or has not accepted an invitation (those who haven't have their email *starred-out*). -On that same screen, you can see when someone was last active and understand who is/isn't utilizing the tool regularly. -Creating "teams"/"projects" in incredibly simple. -When adding new users, you see a capabilities preview which is AWESOME (and keeps me from making mistakes).

Cons:

When looking at the definitions for ad-on roles, I wish they had a hover feature instead of having to click on a link that opens a new window. Not a huge complaint but it would be nice if it was all on one screen to keep from switching back and forth.

Kevin
Software Architect in US
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Great application performance monitoring

Pros:

New Relic gives us a great view into what is going on in the backend. Any time there is a production issue that isn't clear as to what is going on, we always jump to New Relic to see. It has pointed us in the direction of issues that would be hard to discover otherwise.

Cons:

The pricing is very expensive, it does quite a bit for the money, but if you run quite a few servers the cost can be quite prohibitive.

Evert
Manager Product Development in Netherlands
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Nice monitoring tool with extensive analysis options.

Pros:

It is possible to do a in depth analysis in case of a performance problem in our software. This saves us time and we are able to deliver the solution to our users faster. Afterwards we can monitor based on data if the solution actually works.

Cons:

Pretty steap pricing model if you want your developers to use most of the features.

Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Very useful for our teams while on-call

Comments: It' s an essential tool for teams on-call that needs to understand alerts in their apps

Pros:

Easy to track issues Great tool to query logs and make custom graphs or get to the raw information. Good integration with opsgenie.

Cons:

The mobile app it´s not as good as the website, sometimes i get a blank screen as results in the error section

Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Must have!

Pros:

New Relic is a must have for anyone with servers and needs monitoring. New Relic has been a life saver as it is always watching and tracking how our servers are doing. There are so many different changes you can tweak for alerts so you can always be alerted for anything you might need.

Cons:

I can't think of any cons at the moment. We are super happy with our purchase and has seen an ROI right away as far as saving out IT team time and headahces.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

New Relic review

Comments: excellent

Pros:

Best tool to monitor various application and server performance . They also provide a good support. Monitoring application performance on various parameters are easy and well elaborated

Cons:

Nothing much to say. but it can have a more user friendly interface

Alejandro
General Manager in Guatemala

Awesome software to monitor servers and app performance.

Pros:

Does not overload my servers and I can monitor resources remotely even when my servers are overloaded for some reason. Helps me tune up my software.

Cons:

Price. I still find it too expensive. I get "bug check" notifications quite often, maybe because i'm on the free version.

Luis Felipe
Luis Felipe
Programmer in Brazil
Internet, 201–500 Employees

Must have to any dev team

Comments: I love it! Really useful and a must have to any team

Pros:

Know what's happening on your servers, database use and external services Multiple options to reach every need you have

Cons:

Can be a little hard to configure Not so simple UX

Mike
Lead Backend Engineer in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

NewRelic is great performance monitoring software

Pros:

NewRelic has the best tools to monitor performance on applications and servers. Their query language also allows you to create beautiful sets of data.

Cons:

NewRelic's price is a bit of a stretch for a start up and should only be considered for established companies. Their error monitoring also isn't that great compared to something like Sentry.