15 years helping Canadian businesses

Microsoft SharePoint Reviews

4.3 (5,172) Write a Review!

About Microsoft SharePoint

Content management solution that helps businesses with desktop sharing and viewing, text annotations, instant messaging, and whiteboard

Learn more about Microsoft SharePoint

Pros:

The ease of managing files and folders with high volume data. To be able to manage sharing of files easily with relevant people makes the app good value for money.

Cons:

I also really dislike that when I want to share a "forced copy" of a document to a client, so the client can just make his/her own copy, I am unable to do so.

Microsoft SharePoint ratings

4.1
4.1
4.3
4.2

8.0/10

Microsoft SharePoint has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 5,172 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft SharePoint before?

Filter reviews (5,172)

Norman Jr
Norman Jr
Document Controller and IT Support in Qatar
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft SharePoint Is a Great App.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: The software has a user-friendly interface and intuitive features that make it easy to navigate and perform tasks.

Pros:

The software has helped me a lot in sharing important documents and submissions easily and can be accessed easily by the end party. Overall, the software is well balanced, and it has great features.

Cons:

The software is excellent and meets most of my needs, but it could improve on some aspects, such as:  The modified folder doesn't have any choices to save my previous settings for each folder.  Another con is that if I open the notebook, there is no option to go back directly to the SharePoint interface. You need to go back to App Launcher and open from there, where it is very inconvenient if you are in a hurry to do things quickly.

Giovanni
Ceo in Canada

Best solution for MS Shops

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

The service integrates well with MS 365 / Office

Cons:

The GUI is somewhat confusing for basic users. Version control can be tricky when collaborating among many users

Kimberly
Guidance Counselor in US
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

Improvements can definitely make this easier to use!

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: This would be much better if it were more like Google Drive and easy to find things. With so many dropdowns and not knowing where to look, this is not the easiest program software to use.

Pros:

Sharepoint is great to upload documents in 1 place....

Cons:

I do not like that Sharepoint is so confusing to navigate. They can make it so much easier by having folders and showing the entire drive rather than trying to hunt around and find folders or items I may not have access to.

Solomon
Solomon
Training Administrator in Nigeria
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

MY CANDID EXPERIENCE USING MICROSOFT SHAREPOINT

Comments: It's been effective so far. Although, the time we encountered an issue, the customer service rep was able to get it solved in due time.

Pros:

- Very easy to customize - It manages documents without error

Cons:

- It's a little bit expensive to set up. - It's also sometimes unresponsive when searching

Erica
Assitant PM in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft SP

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Pretty good product for businesses. Would recommend.

Pros:

It's user friendly and fairly easy to set-up.

Cons:

Outside lile sharing can be problematic at times.

XUAN MAI
Product manager in Germany
Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

Decent tool, however there is room for improvement

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: acceptable and decent tool, however there is still room for improvement

Pros:

what I like most is that it can work not only on a browser tab but also can be integrated into the Windows Explorer system of Windows OS

Cons:

what I don't really like is how the UI of Microsoft SharePoint on a browser tab is not great

President in US

SharePoint Works

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: positive, easy to deploy and train users on

Pros:

file structure is intuitive, easy to collaborate with users, easy to manage access

Cons:

the need to use OneDrive to sync data can be a problem, especially with long file names and multiple layers of folders

Rakesk
Rakesk
Data Entry Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Functional Multiple Projects Document Management Tool.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Reporting and project data management and the content easy management and analytics creation is very simple and effective.

Pros:

Sharing important files and secure storage of different project data through this Microsoft platform is incredible. The document access control and the easy collaboration and management of workflow the package is helpful.

Cons:

No issues detected on this product functionalities and getting started as a beginner is also easy.

Madasamy
Madasamy
Cosetmer support Engineer in India
Consumer Electronics, 51–200 Employees

File sharing

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

content sharing through links is simple to send.

Cons:

some error occurring when retrieving data.

Annika
Paralegal in UK
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

It's invaluable

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Microsoft SharePoint is integrates with Microsoft 356 which eases documents sharing with teammates.

Pros:

Microsoft SharePoint is invaluable software which is easy to use in documents management, it organize files and easy to send documents to teammates.

Cons:

Microsoft SharePoint is simplifies document sharing.

Chirag
CITO in US
Insurance Software, 51–200 Employees

Great collaboration with SharePoint; don't go overboard

Comments: Since we were strict with our permissions and governance, we had the fortune of having a clean environment. In my past jobs, SharePoint was free for all and it used to be an absolutely disaster. Based on those learnings, we have chosen to use SharePoint only for collaboration. Anything more complex than taking notes, sharing documents, versioning and Visio is moved out of SharePoint. In the first year of use, people became comfortable with our limited and right-sized use of SharePoint. That's our sweet spot and we enjoy SharePoint for collaboration.

Pros:

I love that SharePoint makes collaboration easy. We used to take notes on pen and paper and reconcile our thoughts via emails. Now, we whip up OneNote online and write our notes before the meeting, discuss our thoughts in the meeting and write take-aways in OneNote. Decisioning has become really easy. We also share news across the company using SharePoint. That has worked very well.

Cons:

Workflows and debugging is not the best in SharePoint. We have been bit by gotchas in workflows. They were had to debug. We just gave up on workflows in SharePoint and switched to doing those activities in a different manner.

Imi
Imi
CIO in Grenada
Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

I use SharePoint for everything

Comments: Shapepoint is a platform that is is growing for content management services and offers a high amount of value today for any adopter.
The experience is quite positive as users who gets trained once to use a SharePoint site are ready to use any other site due to the standard uniformity that is baked into the application.
Once you have office 365, you should try to built your next enterprise internal focus app in sharepoint.

Pros:

SharePoint is like a flat table top that is empty at first but you can use it to create all sorts of database and data storage application for you small to mid size organization without the heavy lifting and IT capital expense. Apps can be designed and developed for internal organizational staff use in days. Apps can be modified with low or no code experience. Organizational users, after using the SharePoint tool can transfer their practice on any other SharePoint site/app, this helps with institutional strengthening where the framework is one standard platform that can be used to fit most or all internal system. SharePoint is at least secured as much as O356 can be. I use SharePoint online only these days. I must say that sharepoint list are greatest tool every but you have to get a forms designer to make them very exciting and function especially when you are considering to build a full system.

Cons:

It a growing platform. Today, I think that Microsoft need to include an easy to use SharePoint forms design tool with the product. Customization of forms with PowerAPP is not suitable today, too much work to get just little activities and task. There needs to be an infopath replacement that is easy to use. Sharepoints at this time of wring sucks from a design and layout perspective. If you looking for functionalities, Sharepoint got you back, if you want to have the best modern UI then you will not like SharePoint.

Jill
Director of Operations in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

A Powerful, Robust Program That Helps Me "Futureproof" My Business

Comments: This is the second business where I've deployed Microsoft SharePoint. I find comfort in knowing that the features, while sometimes complicated, are robust enough to grow and adapt with the changing business environment. Overall, I have more faith in the program than I do with other programs that looks similar on the surface. Despite frustration in trying to learn about new features and encouraging employee "buy in" for the program, I am overall satisfied with the product.

Pros:

The cost is relatively low for SharePoint when combined with Teams and other Microsoft applications. The integration across users, platforms, and programs is extremely useful in a modern-day business environment. I know that there are more features than I can imagine, and that I've barely scratched the surface of the program. This means I can count on it to always have features that will expand with my business's needs.

Cons:

Features I like the least: difficult to learn how to deploy its robust features without seeking professional consultation. Hard to share and incorporate our system with users outside of the organization; this occasionally causes confusion.

Dawn
Assistant to the Executive Director in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Great value, Somewhat difficult implementation

Comments: I love the ability to store documents in different folders, and the idea of sharing folder-related information is appealing if an organization has the time and expertise to be able to use that feature. Even though it's been tough getting all our staff acclimated, it has been a really good, cost-effective product for our non-profit org.

Pros:

This software has a great price for non-profits orgs, and has some pretty incredible, useful features. However, those features are only good if the org's staff is willing to invest time into learning to use them.

Cons:

The emails that are sent to the administrators with upcoming changes are written to an IT audience. For a small organization that may not have the staff with that expertise or experience, they are difficult to understand. I really wish Microsoft emails could be understood by a larger audience.

Publishing, 51–200 Employees

Leveraging The Microsoft 365 Ecosystem with Microsoft SharePoint For Efficient Collaboration

Comments: Our overall experience with Microsoft SharePoint has been good mainly due to the user friendly interface and integrations we have with other Microsoft 365 applications that we use.Also we are able to easily collaborate with users who do not have a Microsoft 365 account.

Pros:

Microsoft Sharepoint has allow us to effectively collaborate with our global team and third party without exposing us to security risks or restricting our workflowWe are able to restore files deleted in error or malisciously or affected by ransomware thanks to versioning.We are able to synchronize documents across multiple devices which is very convenient for mobile team members who may need to access a document from a mobile device while in transit or not in the office or not have access to their normal work device.

Cons:

We have not yet come across any real issue with SharePoint since we have used this for so many years.I think outside of temporary technical glitches or comparison with specific features someone would be used to in another solution Microsoft SharePoint has not displayed any issue for us.

Oluwadamilola
Operations Manager in Benin
Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft SharePoint as A Comprehensive Collaboration Tool

Comments: Microsoft SharePoint is an incredibly powerful collaboration tool that is easy to use and highly customizable. It allows teams to stay connected and organized, and provides a wide array of features and tools to help them do their job. The user interface is intuitive, and while there is a learning curve for those new to the platform, it is well worth the effort.

Pros:

Microsoft SharePoint is an incredibly useful collaboration tool that helps teams stay connected and organized. It is incredibly easy to use, and provides a wide range of features and tools that make it an incredibly powerful tool for any organization. The user interface is intuitive and user friendly, and the ability to customize the platform to fit the specific needs of the organization is a major plus.

Cons:

One of the few drawbacks of Microsoft SharePoint is that its capabilities can be overwhelming for those who are unfamiliar with the platform. It can take some time for users to become comfortable with the various features and tools available, and there can be a steep learning curve for those new to the platform.

Josh
Senior Support Engineer in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

The gold standard of business data management & sharing, but does still come with it's quirks.

Comments: I would recommend it to any business looking to move there data from an on premises solution, into the cloud.

Pros:

Migrating to the Sharepoint cloud is easy with the official Microsoft migration tool and having your business data stored in this secure manner is reassuring. Syncing documents to your computer locally via the OneDrive client is one of the best included features.

Cons:

Whilst the OneDrive client integration is one of it's best features, it can also be the worst at times. There is still much work to be done by Microsoft in terms of the solution's stability. The access control list functionality also needs simplifying as it often contradicts itself when moving between the modern and classic UI's.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

A professional document sharing and collaboration tool

Comments: I've recently been evaluating SharePoint to determine if it is an effective way for our company to share sensitive documents internally and externally with other users involved in our projects. It does seem to be a solid tool for sharing documents securely so we have decided to go with it. So far, so good. I will say that most of the same features are available through Google Docs for free but ultimately, it was the whole package that SharePoint is part of that convinced us to move our workspace into it for the sake of convenience and consistency.

Pros:

This software allows you to share your documents, edit and collaborate with other users anywhere in the world in real time, securely. It's an amazing thing when you can see who is currently viewing and editing a document and everything anyone does is automatically saved and secure within the group it is shared with. SharePoint helps save an incredible amount of time and makes remote meetings much more productive. One of the possible drawbacks is that it seems to be limited to people who also use Sharepoint and live in the Microsoft community of software but I recently learned that you can share with people who don't have Microsoft accounts by providing them with a security key to access the documents. It becomes a two step process for them to accept the document and then get the key to enter but at least it is possible and this makes sure your documents remain secure.

Cons:

It is possible to share with people who aren't part of your network or even Microsoft's network but again, it takes extra steps. Also, there are settings that enable or disable the feature and it is not very clear where the settings are or how to use all the different share options. It took some trial and error, testing and talks with Microsoft support before we were comfortable that it could do what we needed it to do and how to do it. Even after all of that, it is still a bit unclear when certain options should be used but I suppose that could be considered a benefit of the software's flexibility to do the similar things with different methods.

Evan
IT Business Analyst in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Daily user and administrator,

Comments: We use SharePoint primarily as version control for documentation and also for request tracking via a SharePoint list. It is an adequate solution for these needs but leaves some things to be desired.

Pros:

Convenient way to share files in and outside of your organization. It is truly loaded with good features; whether or not your instance will be capable of utilizing them all is another question (see cons).

Cons:

Occasional integration issues with Microsoft's other apps such as OneNote. I had the hardest time moving a OneNote from one SharePoint to another and wound up having to do so one page at a time. SharePoint lists are our only recourse within my company for external user request tracking, and they are clunky at best. Users do not like the front-end form no matter how much tinkering we do in the provided form design tools SharePoint Design and Infopath. Poor visibility of who has access to what. The permissions hierarchy and inheritance is just not clear, and clean-up of any SharePoint you take ownership of will be a hassle. Many useful and seemingly rudimentary tasks are made difficult by integration issues with our corporate network, however this could have as much to do with our excessive security protocols than SharePoint. As such, I have not considered it in this review's score but gone ahead and included this complaint as a point of reference for anyone considering adopting SharePoint at their company. If your company's infrastructure and security model is already difficult to navigate, then it is unlikely you'll be able to take full advantage of what SharePoint has to offer without a very talented implementation team.

Editorial Manager and Designer in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

SharePoint and File Storage

Comments: My overall experience with SharePoint has been positive across the many years I've used it. One of the best features I learned about in recent years was the ability to map SharePoint to a drive on your computer. This has really helped in terms of uploading and downloading multiple files simultaneously. If you plan to use SharePoint, I highly recommend looking into this feature as it will save you a ton of time and enable you faster access to your files versus accessing them from a browser window. Mapping is extremely easy and, in my experience, invaluable. You will also find that you can post graphics on your SharePoint pages. We frequently post "work anniversary" or "birthday wishes" for our team. Lastly, the calendar is extremely helpful as you can block out vacations, conferences, and other events, and know, at a glance, what's happening each day without having to search through Outlook or other resources.

Pros:

I've used SharePoint for over a decade. Long before "the cloud" was the tech buzz word, SharePoint was providing users with web-based storage access, and it still does. There are many things to like about SharePoint. First and foremost, it functions much like a web site. Users can easily navigate to their SharePoint home page and set up additional pages, upload and download files, add calendars and calendar events, and much more. SharePoint also creates archives of all files, so if you revise a file and then later need to see an earlier version of that file, you can use SharePoint's versioning functionality to do this. It's a great utility for storing files of all sorts that others on your team need to use. Uploading and downloading files couldn't be easier. We created different landing pages based on our company's needs. For example, we have a Marketing page to store our collateral, a Content page for manuscripts and legal documents, and an HR page for human resources-related materials.

Cons:

It can take users a bit of time to understand the unique functionality of SharePoint. However, if you navigate around the toolbars you should find what you are looking for. In terms of design, SharePoint is relatively basic, so users looking for something with a bit more visual flash might be disappointed. Though if you are mainly looking for a reliable place to manage countless files, SharePoint is probably right for you.

sameer
sameer
Associate Solution Advisor in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

SharePoint- The best file sharing tool by Microsoft.

Comments: My overall experience with the software has been really amazing till now. Intially, it took some time for me to understand the interface since it is a bit complex but once I got a hack of it, I can now say that this software is really helping me work seamlessly and saving a lot of my time during my day to day files sharing with my clients.

Pros:

Microsoft SharePoint is one of the top file sharing platforms right now. The primary reason why this software is my personal favourite is that it has the capacity to share very heavy files ( I have tried till 400MB) with our clients. This exclusive feature is not supported by most of the other platform as there is always a size cap till which one can share a file with the client. Also, the file upload time is very less onto share file as compared to other applications available in the market.Last but not the least, the best feature that I like about this software is that it can add n number of people in a specific project within sharepoint.

Cons:

There are very less cons about this software product. However, if we still want to mention, I would like to mention that the when we click on the sharepoint , it takes quite a lot of time for the home page to load/ be visible. this is time is very large as compared to other file sharing products that are available in the market since their URL's come up very fastly on to the home screen. Last but not the least, I would also like to mention that the Sharepoint's interface is a bit confusing, it takes some days to understand how things are working on this software which is not the case with other softwares.

Banking, 10,000+ Employees

Excellent business collaborative document management platform

Comments: Our project is using Microsoft SharePoint for long years (and my previous project in earlier organization too!) and felt comfortable using this product which includes file versioning, sharing across teams, calendar/task sharing, review documents online, integration with multiple Microsoft products like Microsoft 365, Microsoft teams, Microsoft PowerBI, Microsoft Project for project management, Microsoft Visio for designers, Microsoft OneNote that enhances the data security with protected encryption via 2-factor authentication methods. Also our team made different customization on share point server which comprises visual effects of colors, fonts, graphic modes, Power automate workflow modes (that saved major cost to our project). We used Microsoft One drive, Microsoft Teams to share project documents in effective manner.

Pros:

Flexible to use across any user or large group in the organization, specially in company intranet environment. It allows social networking as well to collaborate across different user groups like developers, designers, business analysts. According to business needs, it can be customized to view the specific content in the design. In terms of project management, it allows to share user calendars, multiple task notes and project trackers. Consolidation of internet and intranet collaboration of sites make the business users easy to use. SharePoint server allows programmers to develop API jobs to automate the day to day business functionalities that reduces the cost to entire organization. Centralized administration allows hassle free system settings, easy work flow navigation settings, effective back up and restoration of data incase of data corruption or manual deletion of data by mistake. The user productivity will get increased through real time collaboration that includes document versioning that avoids duplicate files, cloud support, document notification for managing different file system types.

Cons:

The ROI is pretty average compared with other document management products in the market. Not available to preview the document files. The URL keeps with folder names so it annoys when user has long file folder/file names on it. Training aid is mandatorily needed to do more administration settings.

Education Management, 51–200 Employees

The everything tool that is hard to describe

Comments: We began our journey to online collaboration looking for a one-to-one replacement of our onsite file server. As Office365 has grown and we as well our understanding of the use of tools like distribution groups grew into Office 365 groups and now Teams to support the functions of those groups and underneath each of those was Sharepoint acting as the trunk from which those branches of collaboration have stemmed. Even as we have only basically touched on the capbility for the pages within the sharepoint site to act as a more robust website, we are still only using those as information to direct people the conversation locations and document libraries.

Pros:

Essentially everything about Office 365 is wrapped around the core of Sharepoint online. As Microsoft began investing in their online offerings they used this existing structure for an intranet to allow groups to collaborate on materials to work across the internet rather than just across the office. This time-tested, monolithic system isn't fast and flashy, but it is capable if you spend the time learning how to achieve your outcomes within its constraints. In a time where the consumer-focused ease of use and design first function second products offer a slick entry point to productivity and collaboration, once you start interacting with systems deeper and need access controls, audit trails, backups, and the things that established companies demand in order to operate you quickly begin to have an appreciation for the capability of Sharepoint as a legacy system that has people working on it to make sure it evolves to stand the test of time.

Cons:

Its feature richness is a benefit and a challenge as it is complex to learn all of the capabilities and how to manage them.

Ute
IT-Trainer in Netherlands
E-Learning, Self Employed

SharePoint is the correct name for this solution!

Comments: I used SharePoint over several years and saw its evolution and its strengths. I was a little shocked, when the external websites were given up, because I liked the same design principles for Intranet end internet. Now as Teams is the „Eier legende WollMilchSau“ German Word for „can do it all“, I see, that the focus is gone from SharePoint over to Teams and every AddOn is created for Teams, no more SharePoint.

Pros:

After a period of time to get used to the product, you find every day new features to improve your Workflows. If you have only been used before to files and folders, you see how easy it can be, to find the file your worked last on, to keep track of changes and versions without renaming files and storing them in different folders. You see, when someone edits something in the same document and you can comment on their changes. Cooperation at its best. By searching older files or archiving files, that are no longer needed, you keep track of what is happening in your company. You can create structures for new employees, to find their way through existing structures. Explain the way of working together. You can have many intern devices or bring your own device and with one single login, you can work immediately on all those machines.

Cons:

The learning curve needs to be planned in advance, because the way of working does not change on its own. People who never experienced all the new possibilities will not start to use them, if not shown, with a clear structure and policies from the beginning onwards. The need for an experienced instructor is clear especially in the installation and configuration phase. Because the IT department needs to be involved as well as the head of each department. The instructor has to ask the right questions, to get to know the existing way of working and to advice for the new way of working and that implementation for it.

Pharmaceuticals, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Exceptional Platform for Team Collaboration and Content Storage

Comments: My overall experience with SharePoint has been great, as I have been able to realize numerous benefits including, but not limited to, the ability to work with teammates on numerous assignments in real-time, the ability to store files of various formats on the platform, and the ability to share the aforementioned files directly from the platform via email with ease. Overall, I offer high praise for this service and would undoubtedly recommend others to give it a try as well as it is well worth it.

Pros:

What I like most about this software is the fact that it allows for real-time collaboration on a number of Microsoft Office products on any web browser as long as you are connected to the internet. I find the amount of tools and resources offered by SharePoint to be very vast, even more so than some of its competitors, which on some occasions charge more for their services than does SharePoint. I also like the fact that documents can be worked on and accessed on virtually any device, whether it be a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop. This allows for everyone on a team to participate on projects or assignments regardless of their device or operating system preferences.

Cons:

What I like least about this software has nothing to do with the features or functionalities associated with SharePoint, which I find to be great, but rather has to do with its relatively lackluster appeal to the general public, which seems to be somewhat attracted more to its competitors. As a result, when new members join SharePoint, I have noticed that it takes them a decent amount of time to become acquainted with the service, which might take time away from focusing all attention towards the actual assignments that need to be worked on and completed. Depending on the workload of a company, this may or may not be a bit deal, but in the case that it is, some compromises might need to be made on deadlines for certain projects/assignments to make some extra time for getting used to SharePoint.