Filter by:

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About SIMUL8

Make confident, impactful decisions with the world's fastest, most intuitive and effective simulation platform for desktop and the web.

Learn more about SIMUL8

Kristina N.
Kristina N.
Industrial Engineer II
  • Reviewed on 2019-08-09

"Ease of use and WONDERFUL customer experience"

Comments: 10/10 - I would purchase again. I also took the training with customer service rep and that unlocked my use of the tool more than if I were to just buy and use without going.Both the reps are the two employees I interface with most and I can't say enough positive things about my experience as a customer and user. They already had the sale, they didn't need to keep helping me but I feel their attitude is for the product to truly help my decision making.

Pros: Product is easy to use but the absolute BEST feature is the support. I can shoot an email with a question and get a very helpful response in under a day or, even better, I have emailed them my file and had support respond with where my error was. I wish I could give them 6/5 stars in this category.

Cons: In today's world we are spoiled with things like the iPhone "just working" and there are a few features that require some extra clicks when trying to make changes. Also could have more "flashy" charts/features but I just export the data to excel when needed to make these.

Harry N.
Harry N.
Student
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-05-29

"Invaluable Customer Service"

Pros: I would first like to highlight that this is not a review of Simul8 but is feedback of the immense customer support I recently received. I was recently in contact with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], an employee at Simul8, regarding assistance with a project I am currently undertaking in my final year of my mathematics degree at university. Not only was [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] extremely considerate of my lack of knowledge within Simul8, but his impressive depth of knowledge and thoroughness of his teachings has helped to provide invaluable information and insight into Simul8's diverse and powerful modelling tools. I cannot articulate how magnificent [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was and highly recommend that any queries or troubles one may encounter with Simul8 that you seek [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] support; he is an erudite in Simul8!

Cons: I have nothing negative to say regarding Simul8.

• Reviewed on 2020-05-29
Ryan P.
Assistant Analyst
Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-16

"Logistics Simulations"

Comments: Positive experience. Technical support has been fantastic, and the software has answered all the needs I have so far.

Pros: Visual interface is great for observing and validating simulations. Graphics are useful for visualizing what is actually going on. Incorporating of visual logic is great for interfacing with excel, and customizing your own time or event based actions. When you hold mouse over a setting, there is usually a great explanation which is really helpful. It does what I need it to! So I can't complain there. I am still a new user so I have a good deal to learn, but overall, I'm having a positive experience and haven't encountered any issues I couldn't work out with some (excellent) technical support!

Cons: Could improve variables - it would be nice to be able to declare variables in the visual logic code, instead of having to go into information store and declare before using.
Would be nice to have an option to see all visual logic in one place as opposed to broken up and nested in each activity, makes it tricky to monitor when counters are updated, for example.
Would also be nice to see some common event based visual logic pre-made, for example, when activity complete, send time of day to a spreadsheet cell, and increment the row for the next completion time.
Would like to highlight several activities and change all parameters, such as resource details. It might just be my use case, but a lot of labour goes into updating a batch of settings across multiple activities that could be a global change. An example is for making a resource travel with work item - have to go into details in resources of each and every activity.
The default settings add a travel time based on arrow length - I would make that off by default.
Graphics interface feels a little buggy when scrolling and zooming - clock jumps around.
It appears you have to use the same units across the whole simulation. Clock in hours and others in minutes would be helpful.
Granted, I am using an old version of the software, and I am a relatively new user of the software. None of these are dealbreakers for me, just hopefully helps the development team improve or potential users get started.

• Reviewed on 2019-07-16
Ed B.
Sessional Instructor, Consultant, Trainer, Grand Poo-Bah
Higher Education Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-02

"For the Student version - from U of T"

Comments: Overall very good .... especially for simulation which hasd a rap of beeing complicated and hard to understand.. I can get a class of 30 people from a zero knowledge base, to build, test and run a basic simulation in under 40 minutes. that is fast Student experience is almost always very favourable ... some even find it slightly addictive!

Pros: Simplicity - visual nature and very Visio like in design and appearance makes it a natural fit with process analysis which for us starts with a Viso Flowchart

Cons: Use of Inter-arival time at work entry point.. I always find this trips up most people at first .. couldn't we just put another factor such as arrival rate .
Secondly adding or deleting lines in results manager is a pain.. I am starting to export to excel more and more

• Reviewed on 2019-07-02
Philippe B.
Managing Partner
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-16

"Powerful and intuitive"

Comments: I used SIMUL8 mainly in the healthcare sector. I may have done in the last 5 years approximately ten projects, big and small. I also use SIMUL8 with my students to teach operations management. SIMUL8 is powerful because it is fast but also because it is intuitive. This makes the results of a simulation easy to explain to customers that are not familiar with simulation.

Pros: The pros: The software is intuitive and easy-to-use. It has all the features to simulate complex organizations. I have been using it regularly since 2014. SIMUL8 is constantly being improved and users are involved in setting priorities for new developments. The SIMUL8 team offers excellent support. They have engineers experienced in all types of industries. In the field for which I mainly work (health care), I have always found all the support I needed for my projects. I have tested other simulation software and can confirm that SIMUL8 is powerful, well designed and robust. Its cost (license and maintenance) is very competitive compared to other simulation software.

Cons: 3D animation is not the strength of SIMUL8, but the 3D animation features offered by SIMUL8 are more than enough to test, debug and present the simulation results to customers. 3D animation is not the most important feature of a simulation program. Simulation speed and presentation of results are essential and SIMUL8 is fast and provides results that are easy to manage and interpret.

• Reviewed on 2019-09-16
Ed C.
Executive Office, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-29

"Useful For Work Flow Planning"

Comments: I used this product in depth to help consulting clients see and understand their process dynamics. I found this product excellent for that purpose. I found I was able to use video recordings of current and future state simulations to convince people to go forward with particular process improvement plans. I struggled a bit with modeling the process at the right level of detail, but that was a learning curve issue of mine. I would definitely buy this product again for this purpose.

Pros: Easy to set up models quickly.
Capable of modeling detailed nuances if you want it.
Cloud-based functionality available.

Cons: There's a learning curve. (But it's worth it.)
Hard to record videos of a simulation run. (I used a third-party program.)
Hard to know what level of detail to use.

• Reviewed on 2020-01-29
Anand S.
Operational Research Analyst
Government Relations, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-22

"General simul8 review"

Comments: Generally very useful. The stochastic nature of the runs give us very good representations of the models we are working with; this allows us to inform the stakeholders using valuable analysis.

Pros: Particularly very easy to use as a starter; having a clear idea of the process is most of the job done because, it is easy to implement- thanks to the user-friendliness of the software.

Cons: Nothing of note, although slightly frustrating that scroll zooms and ctrl scroll moves the window as opposed to other software where it's the other way round. Maybe there is a setting where I can change that?

• Reviewed on 2019-11-22
Melissa T.
Process Engineer

"Process Improvement"

Comments: It is great for getting business buy in for a new process change or wanting to buy a new piece of equipment and seeing the long term benefits.

Pros: It is very user friendly with intuitive build features.

Cons: Editing spreadsheets is very clunky but copy and pasting from excel can help with the lack of formatting.

João umbiruçu C.
Senior Consultant
Logistics & Supply Chain, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019-03-21

"Simul8 - a very good tools to simulation projects"

Comments: I have been using Simul8 for more than 8 years and have developed the most different projects with it: warehouse, transportation, industries.
"Whatever can be described can be simulated."

Pros: Price
Learning
Few computational resources

Cons: Development of process animation is not very friendly.

Ebert B.
Full Professor
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-07-27

"When I think in making decisions, I think in Simul8!"

Comments: I teach simulation model under Simul8, because it is a very easy way for learning system simulation by using Simul8.

Pros: I do most like of Simul8 is its easy way for modeling any discrete event dynamic system, what becomes in a powerful tool for making decision based on simulation. I do also like its reports and graphs from output. They are very useful for writing reports.

Cons: I do least like is to do not get an executable file, which allow one to run the model outside environment Simul8, and so it obtain reports from any programmed experiments.

• Reviewed on 2018-07-27
Chris F.
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-10

"Simul8 for Healthcare"

Comments: I have had great experience with Simul8 at my organization in the healthcare industry. I have used it on multiple occasions for years and have never been disappointed by its capabilities or power. I have had a great experience with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

Pros: Intuitive, Customer Focused, Report Rich

Cons: Visuals for reporting could improve

• Reviewed on 2016-08-10
John W.
Lead Mfg Technologies Specialist
Logistics & Supply Chain, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-08-25

"Flexibility and Ease of Use"

Comments: Using for process and supply chain modeling and while still much to learn has been a useful learning and communication tool for our team.

Pros: Intuitive interface. Lot of training and support available. Flexibility in initial model creation and subsequent modification.

Cons: Needed to learn the terms and concepts of the software and fin things in the menus but with the training and support available it is very possible to find answers quickly.

• Reviewed on 2021-08-25
Daniel P.
Sr. Manager
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-03-21

"SImul8 review from long time user"

Pros: Software is very ease to use and very powerfull. I have used it to help provide direction to plant layouts and operational patterns for production. Great tool to use for communication.

Cons: Software can be a little buggy. Usually this mean that it can hang up or shutdown. However, I have never lost work, it always seems to recover all the details where I left it.

Donald M.
Process Engineer
Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-08-14

"A++ Customer Support & User Functionality!"

Comments: So far I've had a great experience wiht Simul8. I've recently taken the basic Simul8 training, led by the reps, and I'm eager to use this software on my next project.

Pros: Simul8 has an ideal user interface for the mordern day. As a moderate simulation user, I was thrilled to notice Simul8 abilitiy to be easy to pick up for a novice user.

Cons: With work becomning more and more mobile, I'm hoping to see an app or website version in the near future...

• Reviewed on 2019-08-14
Steve H.
Sales Engineering Consultant
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-27

"Simul8 for eCom fulfillment"

Comments: I am making heavy use to the VL capability. Most of my Activities have an attached VL routine. I am simulating Robots and Operators in pick aisles using WMS simulated pick lists. Testing Optimization algorithms for efficient Robot travel, Operator travel, and Robot "swarming" to meet Operators at a pick face.

Pros: Very flexible, fast, user friendly, and intuitive.

Cons: A little buggy. Crashes several times a week. Memory overflow seems to be the biggest cause. Also, multi Activity changes can cause crashes.

by SIMUL8 on 2021-06-01

Thanks for the great review! A member of our team will be in touch so we can look into your valued feedback.

• Reviewed on 2021-05-27
Isaac M.
Director of Operations
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-22

"Intuitive Software and Outstanding Training Resources"

Comments: SIMUL8 customer support and training staff are outstanding! This support is what sets SIMUL8 apart and allows basic users to create models to support business decisions.

Pros: This software was extremely intuitive and easy to get up and running fast on your first model. I also highly recommend their in-person training classes. The training staff are approachable and take the time to personally meet you at your skill level to help you understand and complete models.

Cons: None for my personal use. I have seen some competitive products 3D floor layouts visuals that look slicker, but I don’t find this beneficial for my application of discrete event modeling. This could be my technical understanding of the software and not the software capability.

• Reviewed on 2019-07-22
Reece H.
Technical Fellow
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-16

"Powerful, Flexible, Easy to Use"

Comments: I work for a medical device company, and our customers are physicians and hospitals. I have used this software to simulate how cath labs and device follow-up clinics operate, and how they can increase efficiency. I have published results in a peer reviewed medical journal and used output to influence internal strategies. The method (discrete event simulation) and the tool (SIMUL8) form an intuitive and powerful message. The support from the company is top notch. The software downloads, installs and operates easily. I don't often need help, but when I run into problems they immediately point me in the right direction for resolution, often going beyond what I ask for to point out better/more efficient ways of solving the problem than I had considered.

Pros: Flexibility - I can simuate most anything I can imagine Ease of use - I tried other simulators and could barely get simple simulations to work, with SIMUL8 I had reasonable simulations going within days of completing the training Power/Efficiency - I have simulated hundreds of thousands of virtual patients in a single simulation on a Windows laptop

Cons: The documentation of some of the more esoteric functions can be a little thin. This is easily overcome with a quick message to the support desk where they immediately give a good explanation.

• Reviewed on 2016-08-16
Anteneh Y.
Manufacturing system analyst
  • Reviewed on 2020-10-06

"Simulation building tool to rapidly analyze and optimize manufacturing systems performances"

Comments: Manufacturing systems modelling, analysis and optimization.

Pros: SIMUL8 model building blocks are simple to use but are packed with a lot of customizable attributes to model machines and other resources that are common in manufacturing systems. The SIMUL8 programming language (Visual Logic) gives additional customization capability and control of the simulation details. Moreover, Visual Logic programming environment offers simple interfaces and procedures to build the code.
Sharing simulation online is an excellent feature to review simulation models with collaborating teams.

Cons: So far the support of the software to build 3D simulation models is limited. It can be a requirement for some users who are interested to visualize a realistic representation of the real systems.

• Reviewed on 2020-10-06
Martin M.
Managing Pricipal
Government Administration, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-09-14

"What a great product and company"

Comments: 5 STAR

Pros: A mature and stable product, fast and intuitive. Customer support is first rate. ***** I searched for a few years to find this product and it has exceeded my expectations.

Cons: Regular changes in pricing models and new charges for new bolt ons is a little frustrating (hard to budegt)

• Reviewed on 2017-09-14
Ernest M.
LEan/Six Sigma Black Belt Process Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2016-09-13

"Excellent Simulation Package"

Comments: We have experience with Process Map, Arena, , iGrafx, ProMap, and have tested others. Simul8 represents, for us, the best value for capability and value for support from the one we know. It is very easy to start with and has great depth and breadth to grow into. The ability to distribute models to users with a free viewer, providing some functionality to the end-user/customer while maintaining data integrity is unmatched by any other package, and allows us to deploy simulation more efficiently and cost-effectively than any other package, with no hidden fees in the future.

Pros: ease of use, great power as you grow into it, 3D capability, functional user deployment that does not require resources to maintain.

Cons: sometimes crippling problem with modern high-resolution monitors that is not being resolved.

• Reviewed on 2016-09-13
Molly W.
Health Systems Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-11

"Great software and company"

Comments: We have been using Simul8 at our organization for about 3 years. The software, in its simplest form, is easy enough for a novice user to pick up and create a quick simulation, but it also provides a variety of features to make your simulation as complex as you need it to be. I have found Simul8's customer support to be top-notch, responding within hours. They have helped with both technical questions, as well as more conceptual questions. The company is always looking for ways to improve their software and provide regular updates to enhance the functionality.

• Reviewed on 2016-08-11
Ao T.
Engineering Manager
Retail, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-07-10

"Amazing Customer Service, more complex case study please ?"

Comments: The customer service is super good. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been extremely helpful with my question.
Also, I do love how specific the explanations are in the "help" section; I can learn a lot already through that.

Pros: I can model up the most real data to determine the flow of a process; it's easy to convince the other business partners

Cons: Examples are great, but examples can be more complex so the users can learn on their own; for example, the airport label example, one passenger with one luggage on the label section; what if the passenger with 2-3 luggage, and how do we separate them in different queues. If we can see some complex simulation set up (case study) will be super; it will well educate the users.

• Reviewed on 2020-07-10
Mechanical Engineer
Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-18

"Good, but lacks some features"

Pros: The software is user friendly. Furthermore, it is easy to get training because it is offered in many different formats.

Cons: Other software offers more features and has better visualizations when compared with Simul8.

• Reviewed on 2019-07-18
Marin M.
Lecturer and senior research associate
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-08-11

"Excellent product"

Comments: I have been using SIMUL8 to study transport system behavior. It is a very useful tool for tactical management and performance assessment.

Pros: It is extremely user-friendly, very practical, follows the principles of queueing theory

Cons: Some of the functions are not shyncronises which causes the functional panel to freeze

• Reviewed on 2019-08-11
Ana V.
Continuous Improvement Intern
  • Reviewed on 2021-07-29

"Review Simul"

Comments: I have struggled a lot, in managing to do some constraints

Pros: I like the data that gives after a simulation, the results

Cons: I don´t think is easy to use, maybe because I didn´t get a proper capacitation, but I think there is a lot of features that is complicated to implement

• Reviewed on 2021-07-29