15 years helping Canadian businesses

About ActiveCollab

ActiveCollab is a project management software that gives you complete control over your work. Make Real Work happen now!

Learn more about ActiveCollab

Pros:

Onboarding is easy, interface is easy to use and understanding. It's also one of the cheapest option in the market.

Cons:

Out of the box it is missing things that I would have expected to be present.

ActiveCollab ratings

4.5
4.4
4.2
4.5

8.5/10

ActiveCollab has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 400 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ActiveCollab before?

Aleksandar
Aleksandar
C# Developer in North Macedonia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Perfect Project management tool.

Comments: ActiveCollab is one of the best, if not the best project management tool that I have ever used and I have jumped from one to another tool for different projects and project types. If offers so many features, perfect dashboard, milestone preview, calendar, planner, contact details, time tracking and much more. While it is perfect for managing many different types of projects, this is still not the perfect tool for managing software development projects. The only reason for that would be, there is no (or that was not back then) an integration with Git or other version of control system. It was simply a missing feature back then.
I truly hope that nowadays the ActiveCollab team managed to improve and integrate such feature, but talking 6-7 years ago, that was the only downside that I can say about it. If for some reason that is still not available and you are into software development business, look for something else like Asana or Bitbucket.

Pros:

Great dashboard, different types of reports, milestone preview, calendars, time tracking tool are just a few of the features that make this software irreplaceable tool when it comes to project management.

Cons:

Lack of integration with Git or another version of control system.

Mohamed
Senior Engineer in Morocco
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

A simple Project Manager's review

Comments: Overall very smooth experience for me. Fast bandwidth. Bug free experience.

Pros:

Project view grouping and filtering with grid and table layout. This is a killer feature for my use case.Very simple yet comprehensive overall system design. This is important for me as my coworkers came from different backgrounds.Activity View is very effective to have an overall view on what's going on without wasting a lot of time.Mobile Application gets the job done. No bugs, no unexpected behavior.

Cons:

The optional GetPaid (invoicing and payment management) paid add-on is honestly not for me. It's a very nice and really good addition for more simple uses case like when we just started business, but It definitely needs more attention to fit our needs. We finally opted for a more specialized product to keep track of our finance.

Obhioze
Member in US
Higher Education Software, 10,000+ Employees

A Fantazgreat and Exceptional Project and Work Management Platform.

5.0 last week New

Comments: It is very useful as it allows me to communicate and collaborate with my team on work schedules.

Pros:

It is simple to organize and manage work and projects with activeCollab.I can easily track time used on projects and tasks with this tool.It is simple to plan work and projects with ActiveCollab.

Cons:

I lack anything that is detestable with ActiveCollab as it meets all my requirements and needs.

Mari-Nella
Owner in Namibia
Design, 2–10 Employees

It is a beautiful app but not that useful

Comments: It was nice in the beginning but I just soon realised I needed something with easier to use features and no hidden costs. Onces a app like this becomes too complicated to navigate or customise - you will not use it as you need to daily because of that hassle.

Pros:

It is beautifully designed so initially it seemed easier to use and navigate. It had a client portal and I could track my jobs and invoice/do estimates all from one place.

Cons:

It has hidden fees. Everywhere it advertises itself as only 7.50 a month. - But using the MAIN FEATURES OF WHY I WANTED THIS APP is extra, like invoicing, time tracking and using the client portal. This was not made clear initially. The client service is terrible. I would ask questions but there response was really terrible english language - not what I would expect from an international app that everyone should be able to understand. Especially a client service person called Darla. Terrible and rude manners and unhelpful.!

Active Collab Response

3 years ago

We appreciate your honest feedback, and we are sorry to hear you had this experience with ActiveCollab. As for the pricing, additional features such as Invoicing, Time Estimates, Workload, Availability, etc., are listed in the GePaid bundle section, which is charged additionally and is not a part of the basic paid plan. You can check out our pricing on the official site here: https://activecollab.com/pricing

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Finally a project management system small businesses can afford

Comments: We have been using ActiveCollab for around 4 years now and they continue to work on ways to fineness the tool for the better. The support team has always been very responsive -- although we have only had a few SOS calls they AC team reacted quickly and we were able to continue work with very little interruption.

Pros:

Visually easy to see what projects and tasks are priority. I also love the budget tracker which allows me to make sure projects stay on budget. This program is extremely easy to learn to use as both an administrator and a day-to-day user. I have worked with so many project management systems in my career (some at a much higher price point) and ActiveCollab is a true competitor for a fraction of the cost.

Cons:

When pulling invoices, I wish we had more options as to how to import the time entry notes. Because we require our team to place notes as to what they were doing for the hours logged - we do spend more time than desired editing invoices once the data is pulled in.

Religious Institutions, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Self hosted or hosted, an excellent team tool

Comments: We have a global team that work on projects together, ActiveCollab keeps us progressing them.
We also use it for collaboration, requests and idea sharing.

Pros:

We tried many alternatives, but the simplicity and the ability to self host won us over. Task lists, Kanban Style boards, Time tracking, Notifying and Assigning all work well.

Cons:

I feel the file sharing (or at least referencing a file you have already uploaded) could be simpler. Apart from that we're really happy.

Jolie
Jolie
Visual Space & Training Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 51–200 Employees

Active Collab makes working together simple

Comments: My team is spread across the country and Active Collab allows us to work together on projects seamlessly. Our outside partners are also able to work with us easily.

Pros:

Great tool for managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders Pretty robust feature set Simple to access and easy to invite collaborators in & out of my company

Cons:

Upgrades have been a bit buggy and while the team are responsive, they don't always believe that they've broken something

Uroš
Uroš
Owner in Serbia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Very easy to use but packs a big punch

Comments: Our overall experience is absolutely positive. We get to plan out our projects, go through them daily, track everything, and at the end exactly know what to invoice the client. It really covers all the basis that we need in our process and we love it for that.

Pros:

I really appreciate the simplicity and the power behind the features it delivers. On the surface, it offers just a list of tasks me and my team manage throughout our design and development process, but under the hood it offers task dependencies, estimates, time tracking and many other cool things that make it deceptively powerful.

Cons:

Probably the speed of the app on some larger projects. It's lightning fast for everything small to medium, but on larger projects it can take a while to load everything.

Malcolm
Art Director in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Not Just Project Management! Superior Time Tracking and Reporting for Clients Too!

Pros:

Time tracking. It's wonderful. We are able to track our time down to the specific task within projects. We can also label each project by client and bill clients based on the time we've specifically tracked for each task and project. All of this tracking also allows for reporting to our clients - down to being able to let them know how much time was spent on each task. Customer service is also amazing. One of our team members has made suggestions for new/alternate features/revised functionality, and things were updated fairly quickly! So good. Thank you!

Cons:

I'd love to see the organization of the projects in a different way. Organized instead by client on the main page. The main page is otherwise less organized than I need it to be.

Great all-in-one solution

Comments: Our team manages all of our projects through ActiveCollab, and that includes budgeting, tasks, and time management. Without it, we'd be lost in a sea of emails and Slack messages.

Pros:

ActiveCollab is quite feature rich. We were able to consolidate multiple pieces of software into one.

Cons:

Some of the menus are hard to find and I'd really like to see a comprehensive calendar approach to tasks, vs just per project.

Engineering Head in Indonesia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

The Right Project Management Tool for Small to Medium Sized Team

Comments: It's easy to use and worth the cost.

Pros:

My team and I do really like the simplicity of the software. It helps us focus on doing the tasks rather than figuring out how to use the software correctly to assign tasks.

Cons:

- Unmaintained mobile apps, both iOS and Android versions. - No function to duplicate tasks list. - Zipping attachments from a task to be downloaded, takes forever. - Bulk actions on tasks seem to need an improvement on UX so that it's more user friendly to use. Currently, we need to scroll up and down to choose the actions. - On the Reports page for Tasks, every time we choose a Custom Report, the columns and "sort by" are always reset. - As admin, I can't see the full list of other user's Activities. I can only see the last 5 or something. I might be able to give some more feedback. Do let me know if it helps improve your product :)

Printing, 51–200 Employees

A/C has been a game changer for us. We are using it a bit outside of its intended scope but it works

Comments: Highly focussed team members. Remote work flexibility. Collaboration. Time Management. Quality Management. Data Management. Targeted and SMART Goals. Internal Motivation. Trust.

Pros:

The platform makes communicating with team members a breeze. We have a multitude of projects and tasks within the three departments - A/C helps keep everything organized and on track. LOVE the landing screen "My Work". The calendar view is awesome for our morning meetings. It is great that we can filter by person or project on the calendar. It's a robust feature that other platforms did not have. Really enjoy the notifications when I mention a team member. The robust area within a project including Tasks List, Discussions, Files, notes, Time, Expenses, Activity is great. Not only does it encourage collaboration it fully supports remote work. On the task list, we can drag/drop tasks. Filter by assignees, tasks lists, due dates, or completed tasks. You can also review the overall project progress. A/C has some great reporting features. I like how we can star projects. Simple features like that are NOT overlooked in the A/C platform. Time tracking, invoicing, and estimates functions look great. We haven't used them yet but we will eventually. I appreciate the pricing. The customer support is quick and responsive. Our team has embraced the platform and I feel we will continue to use it for years to come. I would recommend the platform to others.

Cons:

Disclaimer: We use it a bit outside of its intended purpose. Our group is Marketing, Web Development, and IT. Although there are a ton of project-based objectives within the departments there are some marketing functions that are not project based. This is the biggest thing I've got it's not a deal breaker. Maybe extend the software to include flexible user accounts or setup different types of project areas. That isn't necessarily project oriented. Minors: Recurring tasks are a bit of a pain to setup the first time Multiple different calendars confuse people sometimes and they end up creating a calendar for themselves. Maybe we could setup tasks requiring a sign-off? Maybe this is already a feature and I don't know how to do it yet?

Susan
Partner | Creative in US

Constantly Improving and Helpful Support

Comments: The team is immediate to help, and pleasant to deal with. Also, truly they release updates like monthly, the product is always getting better which is AWESOME.

Pros:

This software includes all of the features of the leading brands and more in most cases. I compared ActiveCollab to every system out there and tried demos and trials of each as well. It combines robust options with ease of use, and is more affordable than most other options. We can use kan-ban, calendar or list views, and can organize almost everything to our own preference. They also are continuously upgrading the system and adding features. I also like that they have a roadmap on their website so you know what they will be working on next. Top quality product and service.

Cons:

We used to be able to change the colors and design options but now we are limited to one set of colors and 4 or 5 different background images. I know it is probably only the designers who care, but as a design company, it drives me crazy. It's not ugly, per se, and it is definitely not hard to read or use, but it is not how I would like it to look, so, it's my least favorite thing about it.

Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Keeps getting better

Pros:

Active Collab is efficient, friendly, and structured just right for our team's work. The reporting, activity stream, project, task, and subtask organization are all well-calibrated for daily use to organize work and to report on projects.

Cons:

I wish AC integrated with Jira. Our development unit uses Jira, but the complexity means it's a no-go for our unit's daily use. The lack of integration means that sometimes members of our team have to ping-pong between both products, or fail to understand what's happening there. A preview of a Jira ticket in AC would be totally sufficient.

Design, Self Employed

Beautiful design meets functionality

Comments: All in all, I am happy with ActiveCollab and glad to have discovered it. The support is ultra quick to respond via live chat and very friendly and helpful.

Pros:

The very first thing I would like to highlight is ActiveCollab's great, minimalist design. It is one of the most beautiful UI I have ever used. Everything is clearly and logically laid out and it doesn't take many clicks to get to the desired item. The project management is also simply beautiful, so you don't lose track of everything. Tags and statuses can be customized and the integrated calendar provides an overview of upcoming tasks including deadlines. Task lists and to-dos can be added to each project and sorted by priority. The time tracking is also a nice feature, so you don't have to rely on another program.

Cons:

Currently, I still find creating customers a bit too cumbersome. I first have to navigate to the "Contacts" item and create the respective company before I can assign a project. I would like to be able to add a project directly from the list of the corresponding company/contact without having to switch back and forth in the menu. An integration with HubSpot would also make work easier if contacts are constantly synchronized, because with HubSpot I always have all contacts automatically.

Active Collab Response

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! With the current design of the app, you can add people invited to your account directly to the project. If you need to assign a company a project, you would need to first have a company created in the People section and users added to the company. As for the integration, you can use Zapier to link ActiveCollab and HubSpot. Fore more detailed instructions please feel free to contact our support teams at [email protected].

Tony
Head of Developer and Technical Support in Isle of Man

Great task management application

Pros:

Activecollab are great, we were previously using 3 different Basecamp accounts for our sister companies. Basecamp was becoming a nightmare, it's ugly and the support is bad. We frequently have projects running over as an example, usually as we are waiting on information so we need to manually update every task deadline (Slow and painful) Activecollab allows selecting the project and bulk updating the deadline on the tasks, or in a list view one by one which is quick and easy. We opted for the self hosted version and use an amazon AWS Elastic Search Service for searching. this is so much cheaper than what Basecamp was costing and so much more user friendly. Anyone big plus factor is, we were able to customise the software a bit (Against their guidelines) to give it some branding for our company by including an additional CSS file, we have to add this after every update but it's worth it.

Cons:

Lack of built in customisation Email sending is limited in regards to daily reports etc Requires Elastic Search which is on another server/service, whilst not a huge deal it would have been nice to have a local native search and a high performance option using Elastic Search.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

ActiveCollab is the worst project management system I have ever used.

Comments: No business problems are being solved through ActiveCollab, they are only being created.

Pros:

I truly do not really like anything about ActiveCollab, but the feature that allows you to hide things from clients is nice.

Cons:

The title says all of it - ActiveCollab is the single worst project management system I have ever used. Their customer service is the worst part, because it makes solving all of the other issues that go on almost impossible. The timer never works and deletes people's work, the server is often down for days at a time, clients will lose access for no reason at all and not be able to login, we'll stop receiving ActiveCollab email notifications and tasks will show either for the wrong day or not at all. When we reach out to ActiveCollab, they more often than not have absolutely no solution and just say "they are working on it".

Joseph
President in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

This has been the perfect solution for our project management needs. We do everything here.

Comments: More efficient project management. More time spent on work, less time searching for files or waiting on emails.

Pros:

It has the sophistication we need and remains very easy to use. I have tried nearly every other project management software out there, and this one makes the most sense to me. It allows us to effectively collaborate with clients, and it gives us complete control over what can be seen and accessed. We use it for time tracking as well. It connects with a number of other services including Quickbooks. They really seem to listen to their users. I have asked for things and have seen them implemented. Overall, it is a great solution for us, and I do recommend it to anyone looking to better manage their projects.

Cons:

I did like a little more flexibility in the license levels. It would be nice to pay by the user when we need extra users rather than have to bump up to a level that many more users than we currently need.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Pros and Cons of ActiveCollab

Comments: Although we have to wrestle with ActiveCollab on a regular basis, it does allow us to stay organized between projects and client communication. Something we would be unable to do through email alone.

Pros:

Working at an agency with 50+ people, where there are many moving parts and everyone wears a lot of hats, Active Collab allows us to stay organized and hold conversations in tasks, with or without clients. Tasks are easy to schedule, reschedule and conversate in.

Cons:

Overall, these are the issues we experienced with ActiveCollab on a regular basis: - The ActiveCollab timer erased logged time regularly - Documents were unable to be uploaded to tasks from time to time, which halted communication on certain topics - The customer service is very slow. If you're having an issue with the software, it takes weeks to resolve the issue - Sometimes the software is so slow or won't open for an unreasonable amount of time, ultimately wasting time

Sergey
Project Manager in Russia
Public Relations & Communications, 11–50 Employees

Clean and pleasant user interface with most of functionality that we need

Comments: It is our primary task tracker that we use for each and every project we work on.

Pros:

1. Nice and easy-to-use interface. No issues with using it for several hours a day. 2. Several nice feeds: global (across all projects), project-wide and personal. 3. Ability to estimate and then track time for a given task. 4. We are an agency and our clients are REALLY NOT eager to use various task-trackers that different agencies push onto them. Thankfully, you can respond to any ActiveCollab comment via email so our clients do not even need to open ActiveCollab to collaborate with us. Meanwhile, we have all messages and comment in a nice and clean order, all inside our comfy ActiveCollab interface.

Cons:

At some point we decided to move to a self-hosted version of ActiveCollab. By that point we've been using ActiveCollab for a while and our database (including all the files) was about 150GB. Unfortunately, it took about 6 weeks (from 16/10/2017 to 30/11/2017) for the guys over at ActiveCollab to provide us with a link to download our data.

Matthias
CEO in Germany
Design, 11–50 Employees

We have been using ActiveCollab as a collaboration tool in our agency since 2009 and are still happy

Comments: Our entire team is happy to finally use only one piece of software for teamwork. Starting with the project manager, up to the developer and the support all use the same software. Due to the interface (API) the software can be integrated wonderfully into our existing system infrastructure.

Pros:

Cons:

We use the self-hosted version of the program. One requirement for the search is the use of ElasticSearch. Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment, so that we cannot use the search.

Robert
Photo Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

We're extremely heavy users. Our team of 25 live in ActiveCollab as a creative mandate. It empowers.

Comments: Healthier and happier team... creativity up due to managers and admins kept at bay. Because they feel like they can see everything that's happening with long term and short term projects, a freedom for creatives to be creative has been a very welcomed change. We're faster at what we do and quality has gone way up. Efficiency is becoming our norm.

Pros:

MOST: The desktop version. Structurally and organizationally sound. Streamlines workflow and allows multiple leads to see the workload and run reports on their various departments. Really helps with tracking estimated time for the individual and their part in the project. Communication is up and the stress of the communication is way way down. Creatives have more freedom and administrators and managers feel like they have the control they need. Love the Command+K shortcut we found today. We're still learning how to customize it to our team. It has made dealing with 60 national brands much easier and has put an end to the grade school feeling of walking up to the gigantic whiteboard to move color blocks around.

Cons:

Notifications - We believe if a Project is set up and has multiple tasks that run linearly, we should be able to connect them and have a notification sent to the next person when the person before them has completed their task - An automated "passing of the baton" type of thing.

Al
Al
Search & Digital Marketing Consultant in US

I have been an advocate of Active Collab and I have been taking it with me with every new company

Comments: It's a great contractor\agency tool. But you don't have to be an agency, its great for in-house too

Pros:

Easy to use, affordable, logical, logical, really helps. The latest version has greate GUI and I have been using this tool for last 4 years. I first used it at Xivic, then took it with me to Get My Auto, Everything Online, Digital Advertier, and now my own consulting firm.

Cons:

I wish it would connect to other project management tools such as basecamp, asana, etc. I work with many contractors and vendors and if I could do everything in active collab, then it would create a ticket in their platforms, it would be awsome.

Tim
Managing Director in UK
Animation, 2–10 Employees

Great Help for Project Management

Comments: Overall I am having a positive experience with Active Collab and have been using it for over 2 years and plan to continue to utilise the software moving foward.

Pros:

Active Collab is a very easy tool to use that allows for the safe and secure sharing of materials between remote stakeholders. The tool provides a great forum for online discussions and file sharing, enabling our company to work seamlessly with clients all around the world.

Cons:

Recently I have come across some bugs with the uploading of files which has been frustrating when trying to share deadline senstive files with remote clients.

Used well, this is all you need to keep an eye on business

Pros:

I like the fact that everything is contextually linked, you can dive into a task from a calendar, report, email - anything really. As a manager it's great for checking workload and distributing tasks efficiently. I've been using ActiveCollab for a while now in different organisations, so much so I recommended we get the self-hosted version.

Cons:

The inability to email direct to other modules like conversations and files unlike Basecamp which does allow it. That and not being able to add tasks from the calendar. That would be awesome.