15 years helping Canadian businesses

About WorkFlowy

Note taking application that helps businesses manage om in on any sub-list filter list items, collaborate with others and more.

Learn more about WorkFlowy

WorkFlowy ratings

4.7
4.7
4.4
4.8

8.6/10

WorkFlowy has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 18 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used WorkFlowy before?

Dan
Dan
Professor and Program Chair in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Workflowy: A true hidden gem!

Comments: I use WorkFlowy for several hours each week when I am grading student assignments in online classes. I have also demonstrated WorkFlowy in trainings for faculty at my school and help spread the word about it.

Pros:

I like the way that WorkFlowy allows me to organize my information. I can start with a few very high-level categories and break each down into as many levels of sub-categories as I want. This is very useful for accessing feedback and comments about specific assignments when I oversee a number of courses that have multiple assignments of multiple types.

Cons:

One minor point about WorkFlowy that could be improved, at least on the Mac platform, is that I cannot drag text into workflow to create a new bullet item, I can only copy and paste. This may cause me to lose a needed item at the top of the Clipboard History. It's really only a minor inconvenience though.

Krissy
Editor in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

Excellent outlining / list management tool

Comments: WorkFlowy is great for outlining articles. You can easily drag and drop to re-order sections, and share these lists with other writers on your team.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to create lists and article outlines and infinitely nest them.

Cons:

Sometimes it tries to turn words I use into tags or dates, which are not relevant to my use case.

Jason
Marketing in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

I've been using Workflowy as a paid user since 2020

Comments: Overall I feel Workflowy is a great tool if all you want to manage is a small amount of text such as todolists, your goals or twitter posts. But the value of it drops significantly if you need large amounts of paragraphs, images, videos, etc

Pros:

Workflowy is unique in the sense that every bullet can lead to an entire huge section. Their concept behind keeping things simple is very appealing to people who struggle with too many ideas. I also really like their unique functionality such as mirroring bullets to different areas , the beauty is you can use the mirrored bullet just like normal and make any changes you want. This feature has been essential to my workflow and allows you to keep things right where you need them. You can also share your notes with friends in one click just like google docs. This is convenient. Finally they have a breadcrumb feature that is very helpful to navigate around the app. They also send you an email notification with all of your updates.

Cons:

The problem I found with Workflowy is that having only bullets for everything is not very helpful when you want to store large paragraphs of text, images and other content. I found this to be quite limiting to my workflow.

Stone
Stone
Leadership Coach in US
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

Why is WorkFlowy a Secret? It's Amazing!

Comments: I use WorkFlowy for everything - task management, project notes, research - notes of all kinds actually. When I had the luxury of keeping a private calendar, that was in WorkFlowy too. I suspect I could do even more with WorkFlowy but I haven't felt the need. Every now and then, I am romanced into trying out one of the other notekeeping platforms but I always come back to WorkFlowy, it's so clean and focused, it can't be topped.

Pros:

The minimalism was the immediate draw to WorkFlowy and key to why I will never leave. WorkFlowy has many powerful features and customizations plus many more available if you are willing to use CSS but the best part of WorkFlowy is if you are not using a feature, it is invisible never to clutter your screen or choices until you ask for it. The highly interconnected and flexible nature of WorkFlowy makes it endlessly customizable. I doubt any two people use WorkFlowy the same way.

Cons:

I would love to be able to embed a live table or graph which isn't currently possible.

Courtlin
Courtlin
Director of Consulting in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Minimalist tool that delivers but the free tier limits are too low for serious users

Comments: I used Workflowly for many years as part of a GTD workflow system. However, once I found Dynalist, I dropped Workflowly and moved to that tool (no limits on the free plan!)

Pros:

The minimalist design means the site always loads quickly on desktop or mobile and syncs without any issues. There's nothing to distract you in the app, just your notes and ideas and various ways to slice and filter the views.

Cons:

The 500 item limit on the free tier was ultimately too low for me and the workflow management process that I've developed. There are competing tools with nearly the same feature set that offer unlimited notes/edits per month and that's ultimately what I chose to use instead of Workflowy.

Shireen
DPhil Researcher in India
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Bullet point notes for organisation and ideation

Comments: Workflowy has perhaps the simplest and most intuitive user interace of any notes management software in the market today. The user is simply given a plain text field that can take data as bullet points, with the possibility to nest a theoretically infinite number of sub-bullets under a given bullet. This paradigm is easy to pick up and start using, but also proves to an extremely powerful way to hierarchically organise notes.Workflowy's clean interface also belies the fact that it has a number of impressive features under its hood such as linking and mirroring notes, collaboration, creating public notes, tags, dates, kanban boards, and a whole lot more. Although the initial load time of the software can vary sometimes as it syncs with the server, once it has fully loaded, Workflowy works seamlessly and never lags, regardless of the size of the database of notes in use. I have used Workflowy to organise my various work projects - planning upcoming tasks and documenting ongoing progress. I have also used it to maintain lists of films and books I have watched or intend to watch and then to take notes on them. I have also used it to maintain my daily self-reflective journal of thoughts and feelings. And finally, I have also used it as a tool to draft long, complex arguments, to write essays and articles. Workflowy's most impressive feature is the fact that its design makes it extremely versatile and therefore the single program can be used in a myriad of ways.

Pros:

In its simplest form, a bullet point list is a great way to ideate and write complex texts because it allows one to build an outline of the basic functional elements of said text and expand from there. Workflowy complements the bullet point paradigm by allowing you to drag and drop bullets to modify the structure easily, to infinitely nest bullets under existing bullets in order to go off on a tangent, or to link bullets to a totally different bullet in order to create a relationship between two pieces of information that might be in seperate silos.

Cons:

All the data is stored in the cloud on Workflowy's servers and is not encrypted. Therefore, this program would not be suitable for storing highly sensitive data. Although the desktop and mobile apps are able to work offline once installed, they are built as web apps contained within a native app shell, and therefore do not employ native UI elements or take advantage of native OS features. As a software with a very clean and minimal UI, most of Workflowy's features are accessible via keyboard shortcuts rather than buttons that can be clicked with a mouse. This could be a problem for users accustomed to software that uses a more visually-focused UI. And finally, although the data is available to be exported as plain text and is therefore theoretically portable to a different notes management software, migrating away from Workflowy would be a lot harder in practice. The links between notes, dates, and many other custom features would break upon export because the formatting of these links is specific to Workflowy and would not be legible to other notes management softwares. Hence, the value of the database is reduced the moment it is exported although the raw data is always available.

Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

This is my only task management software (adhd friendly!)

Comments: This software works really well with how my brain works, and it understands that sometimes I need to hide things in order to work on other things!

Pros:

What attracted me to workflowy was the nested options; eg that I can organize all the parts of a project within a project without having to see them all at the same time. I also liked that I can mirror projects so I don't forget about things. The ability to use hashtags/labels has also been SO HELPFUL.

Cons:

I wish workflowy provided more video options for learning how to use the product. For example, I know people write books in workflowy and I tried to figure out how from a PDF that was provided and I still don't understand.

Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

The Best Kept Secret in Thinking

Comments: Workflowy is amazing and I am often surprised more people don't know about it or embrace it. It does require you to think for yourself. There are no auto-generated forms or requirements, just you and the screen free to create whatever system or structure of information makes sense to you. That being said, if you change your mind or your needs change, it is just as easy (drag and drop!) to rearrange everything and display it differently. A fantastic search function allows further customization still. Hierarchal lists, free writing, kanban boards, workflowy can do it all in one minimalist package.

Pros:

This is the most flexible, versatile note-taking and making software I have ever used. I have been an avid user for years and completely changed my workflow multiple times without ever needing to leave the app.

Cons:

Automatic back-ups link to a Dropbox account and I would love to be able to auto-save them on another cloud option instead.

Nikhil Kumar
Nikhil Kumar
Software Engineer in India
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Elegant and simple tool for general notes taking

Comments: My overall experience with workflowy is game-changing I leveraged the product to make the most of my workflow and use case and it solved the biggest problem for me i.e. point-based note-taking.

Pros:

The elegance of this tool i.e you can take notes in bullet points and also write extra notes for that point as a caption each and every bullet point is treated as a node and also you can share each and every node separately.

Cons:

The thing which makes it a bit disliked is that same bullet points which means you cannot do much more than bullet points but it itself is a product of a kind.

Andrea
Owner in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Basic To-Do List Program

Comments: I am a person that needs a to-do list. I was looking for an easy to use program that was an electronic to-do list. We were also looking for one to use company-wise, but wanted additional features to not only keep our employees on track but to hold them accountable. While we use a different program for the company, I use WorkFlowy for my tasks and to-do lists. I've used it for about the last month

Pros:

- Basic and easy to use.- I love how all tasks are endlessly collapsable. Helps keep track of the smaller parts of larger tasks, ensuring that all parts are completed.- Three options on how tasks are displayed and two different ways to mark a task as completed. - No limit to the number of tasks.

Cons:

- No visual element. I like using different font colors or simple graphics to keep to exciting and engaging. - Few features beyond a to-do list. Good but limited. - No collaboration options.

Joseph
Editor in Israel
Publishing, Self Employed

Can't live without it

Comments: I've been using it continually for over a dozen years. I don't know how I would function without it. My entire life is in Workflowy. You could probably rebuild a new me using my outline as input.

Pros:

It thinks like I think. I can write, organize, and plan everything from book writing to shopping lists to archiving.

Cons:

There's almost nothing that I dislike. Well, the triangle button on lists would be larger, but that's it.

Peter
Peter
Owner in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Awesome for brainstorming.

Comments: Workflow. He was a tool that I started with about 10 years ago, when I got my first job in Telecom. It. It totally saved me and helped me organize all my notes and ideas and to do's and. And it's lightweight, quick moving structure was. Single handedly responsible for me getting promotions Because I was able to keep up with the speed of work and with the speed of my thoughts.

Pros:

I love that it has some serious built-in limitations. It makes you think in a simple, straightforward way and encourages you to get a bunch of ideas down really quickly. I also. I also love that it forces everything into a hierarchical structure, because I think that that way. That way, and it helps you quickly prioritize and understand at what abstract level you are currently thinking or working.

Cons:

As my responsibilities in life changed to being more long-term project oriented and communications oriented, I needed a tool that can produce documents. And emails and project plans and things like that that were consumable by other people and workflowy being totally bullet pointed doesn't really do that very well.

Patric
Head of Growth in Netherlands
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Brain dump, mind map and notes organizer

Pros:

It's supersimple. Quickly write/paste/organize and just jot everything down in your head, come back later to organize and create some overview. Great tool.

Cons:

It's minimalist, sometimes you crave for more advanced features, but this is it's power, it shouldn't change that.

Artem
Artem
Senior Product Manager in Serbia
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

My first and best outliner so far

Comments: I used WF for task and project management, mostly. I also made my first knowledge base there, but after a while migrated it somewhere else. I still have my logbook on WF and work with it on weekly basis.Another great application is to share information - you may create a list, populate it with references, links, attached files and whatnot - and share it with someone. It's more convenient than making a shared Dropbox folder or using an email. And with WF, you will have some kind of super-simple editable website with permalink.

Pros:

The ease of use is unbelievable. You start with just text in a bullet list and eventually reveal full WF potential - with tags, filtering, Mirrors, and templates.

Cons:

Mobile experience. I can't even retrieve information effectively, let alone edit or compose. The load time is too long.

Richard
Presentation Strategist in South Africa
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Always come back to this tool

Comments: Helps me keep a high level view but can also dive into more detail easily.

Pros:

I have tried other note taking/list apps but I always come back to Workflowy. Simple, flexible, powerful and easy to use. The new Kansan functionality is brilliant.

Cons:

I'd like to be able to highlight text but there's not much to dislike about the tool. It's been in my toolbox for over e decade.

Riley
Lead Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Organized mind

Pros:

I'm a disorganized person by nature, so I use an assortment of tools, mainly notebooks and pens, to categorize my thoughts. It's not always easy to find a digital tool that mirrors that very well—but what I like about workflowy is the customization and simplicity.

Cons:

The simplicity is useful, but there are times when I wish it was more feature-rich.

Jakub
Trainee in Czechia
Computer Games, 11–50 Employees

Great program to connect your notes

Pros:

It was nice that I could connect my notes in different ways than on paper

Cons:

that I got only 100 new lines per month without subscription

Juan
Juan
Autónomo in Spain
Graphic Design Software, Self Employed

Una buena forma de organizar proyectos y anotar reseñas de contenidos

Comments: Uso Workflowy para organizar la semana y anotar ideas que sirven para desarrollar próximos proyectos. Con la aplicación móvil tengo la iformación siempre a mano y puedo anotar contenido desde cualquier lugar que luego consulto en el ordenador. Me gusta la limpieza y sencillez de la aplicación que permite utilizarla sin menús complicados y sin necesidad de experiencia.

Pros:

Es una herramienta ágil y fácil de usar que permite tener un listado de anotaciones desplegables para consultar en cualquier momento en el ordenador o el móvil. Permite insertar imágenes y vídeos junto a las notas y enlaces o links a sitios de referencia. Es una herramienta sencilla pero muy potente. La versión gratuita está limitada con un número máximo de inserciones al mes y en la capacidad de almacenamiento, pero permite utilizar todas las características del programa.

Cons:

Sólo está disponible en inglés y no permite cambiar el idioma.