About PDQ Inventory

PDQ Inventory lets system administrators scan individual Windows computers to collect hardware, software, and Windows config data.

Learn more about PDQ Inventory

PDQ Inventory ratings

4.6
4.8
4.6
4.8

9.3/10

PDQ Inventory has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 38 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PDQ Inventory before?

Tony
IT Analyst in US
Government Relations, 51-200 Employees

PDQ Inventory and Deploy ROCKS!

Comments: I've been using PDQ for about 5-6 years. For us, it's a life saver because until recently I have been the only IT on site. I just hired a admin and he's loving this software as well. Their support is top notch!! When I am stuck, I get a quick answer.

Pros:

I highly like all the details collected for each servers and workstations and the ability to created dynamic collections that can integrate with Deploy.

Cons:

Not that much. The only thing I can think of, ......ugh. Can't think of a thing right now :)

Alternatives Considered: Spiceworks

Reasons for Choosing PDQ Inventory: Cost and ease of use with PDQ

Switched From: Track-It!

Reasons for Switching to PDQ Inventory: Cost and ease of use with PDQ

Gabe
Director of IT in US
Investment Banking, 201-500 Employees

Great Product but....

Comments: Overall I love the functionality. I wouldn’t change a whole lot other than having access to systems outside of our network

Pros:

We love being able to set custom scans for things like registry values. I can quickly pull reports or scan systems for up-to-date information when I need it.

Cons:

We really need to scan systems that are outside of our network. We deploy about 80% of systems as laptops. During the last year most have been off the network or on a VPN connection for a varied amount of time. Without a client, PDQ has really struggled to meet our needs. I have expressed our struggles to your support team but I did not receive any reassurance that a client is in the works. We will continue to look for a replacement to PDQ until there is a client. I’m hopeful to find something suitable soon if PDQ can not meet the challenges of many machines outside of the network.

Robert
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees

PDQ Inventory - Just the basics, but the absolute best of the basic. Pair it with PDQ Deploy

Comments: Top notch company, and based in Texas, if I recall correctly. I was able to call support with a question, and get a native, North American speaker who answered my question in a few seconds. I really, really enjoyed working with them. I never had an actual problem with PDQ Inventory or Deploy and only had to read a few technical requirements to get up and running with their products. Their videos are funny, and super to the point. All companies would do well to copy their no-nonsense style!

Pros:

PDQ products are just that - Pretty Damn Quick. Agentless, and super, super fast to use and learn. While the feature set is a little limited in scope, it does what it does better than all the rest!

Cons:

A slightly limited feature set. It's written by pros, and gives you what you need, with no frills. It's like a great hammer - it does one thing and does it very, very well. If that works for you, great! If not, you'll be a little disappointed by the lack of other features. For example, the product really shines when you pair it with PDQ Deploy. But, you have to purchase that product as well.

Bart
IT Manager in Netherlands
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees

Excellent piece of software.

Comments: It's now very easy to keep machines up to date. See which versions of software are installed where. Create reports of machines we have with specific functions. Together with PDQ Deploy this software makes a fantastic team.

Pros:

The software gives you a great insight in your computer nodes. Ranging from who's logged in where, serial tags, hardware inventory and much more. To execute a PowerShell or cmd task with ease on a selection of nodes. Create groups of machines that are dynamic for example it makes it easy to see which users are affected by WSUS updates. It's also easy to see which versions of software are installed where and if older versions of software are still in use. It also nicely integrates with the PDQ deploy software. Giving you even more power over your deployment processes. You can for example use the dynamic groups for installations with ease. In addition the software is highly customizable.

Cons:

The logged on user information could be improved a bit. Sometimes someone is logged in and the PDQ inventory might not see it. Perhaps this happens with some remote login scenarios that are not fully covered.

Raymond
IT Director in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Great for free features, can't afford pay features.

Comments: IT has been great for years, I love that I can just click a computer and remote desktop by hitting keys, I love that it scans and tells me it needs rebooting, although that is getting to be to much now, it has always been great in the past. I can also run commands turning on/off services, that allow other software to work on them as well, but I don't need left on all the time.

Pros:

It allows me to do many things from 1 central place that I could do for free with other scripts and tools, but PDQ has made put it all into one nice package.

Cons:

Wake on lan tool used to work better over vLans now I have to use another tool for that. It is also saying computers need to be rebooting almost everyday even when computers don't seem to say themselves. This is the key feature I use PDQ Inventory for, scan and see if they are all up to date and need restart for updates.

Timothy
IT Specialist 3 in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Inventory management at it's best.

Comments: Having Inventory is wonderful. Being able to quickly gather data on new or existing PCs is crucial. The more recent addition of the Powershell scanner makes the product pretty much universal to do whatever you can think of for reporting.

Pros:

The report writing is so much nicer than other options which typically require in-depth knowledge of SQL or other coding languages.

Cons:

Adding a large amount of file and registry scanners when scanning 5000+ devices has caused some issues with the database growing too large leading to performance issues and/or memory leaks.

Rick
Desktop Support Specialist II in US
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees

Indispensable inventory managment

Comments: Our most typical use case for PDQI is determining what software/versions are installed on each machine so we don't need to waste time (or create confusion) in pushing updates to machines that are already current -Watching un-updated computers drop from the dynamic collections gives peace of mind and an easy metric for completion.

Pros:

The ability to create a huge variety of reports on every element of the hardware and software in our environment (at least that I've come up with a need for so far) is a priceless function on its own, but the ability build both static and dynamic collections that integrate seamlessly with PDQ Deploy makes both programs excel - Using both in tandem is like having cheat codes for hardware and software management.

Cons:

Sometimes finding the right combination of conditions to build the collections can be a little tricky, but support is ALWAYS there to help get things resolved quickly.

Morton
ParaPro Operational in Australia
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Comments: Love it. Makes my job easier to find a computer with particular features, say all machines with this particular software updates or all machines that have 8 gigs. It is a very powerful database program that does inventory.

Pros:

easy to use for hardware / software inventory reports, for computer location, creating groups of computers so softwares can be targeted to that group, and no where else, waking up computers, dynamic collections - keeps up with current records of computers (hardware and software)

Cons:

at the moment I can't think of any. It has all the features I need, to be honest. Perhaps the PDQ team can provide script packages, instead of searching for them online and adding or modifying them in the pdq inventory extra features that have been introduced. PDQ already done script package just like pdq deploy package.

Michal
IT Specialist in Czechia
Facilities Services, 51-200 Employees

An efficient solution for monitoring asset status and reporting.

Pros:

- mostly easy to use - lots of templates to use and edit - provides a wide range of information and details about a specific device - grouping devices into collections according to different combinations of parameters

Cons:

sometimes it is not easy to debug some more complex reports, but this is not directly a defect of the application itself

Andrey
Senior IT Specialist in US
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent Decision Making Tool

Comments: Extremely simple to implement, and we keep finding new ways to utilize the data we have collected.

Pros:

Ability to pull reports on any piece of information that is collected about any of my computers. This allows our team to make decisions that are much more informed. I've used it for targeting software that needs to be removed from our network. One particularly interesting case was to track down a specific printer attached with USB by serial number. We wrote a custom WMI query scanner and located the computer the printer was attached to.

Cons:

I wish the capability of this software extended beyond the local network. Always-On VPN is not a feasible option in our environment. An agent-based option is something I would be willing to pay extra for.

Luke
Senior Network Engineer in US
Higher Education Software, 201-500 Employees

Affordable option with low barrier to entry but highly customizable to fit your needs

Comments: We have been able to use PDQ Inventory to finely tune our PDQ Deploy schedules and deployments, as well as to plan hardware refresh cycles and do patch management, etc.

Pros:

Easy to set up but highly customizable with SQL and PowerShell

Cons:

Some aspects of building reports and collections are not intuitive. e.g. using "All, Any, Not All, Not Any" group filters instead of simple nested and/or operators. There is also some overlap between Reports and Collections in terms of functionality that can be confusing. Building a lot of collections, especially nested ones, gets very cumbersome and slows down the software considerably. I would like to see an option to use another SQL other than SQLite that would scale better.

James
IT Specialist II in US
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees

PDQ Inventory

Comments: PDQ has amazing customer service and are always there to help. PDQ inventory provides great insight for us to manage our computers.

Pros:

My company was already using PDQ Inventory when I started and I'm glad they were. It's a great piece of software that allows us to easily track computers in our domain. It is able to track computer information through registry, WMI, and about anything you can do in Powershell. We are able to run reports and create collections of computers to track the presence or lack of software, updates, reg keys and many other features.

Cons:

PDQ Inventory has some issues managing computers that are not in a connected domain.

Tony
Senior Network Administrator in US
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees

Very useful for discovering, managing, and resolving problems with hardware and software.

Comments: Great overall experience. My team and I use it daily for a wide variety of use cases, ranging from security patching, break-fix, reporting, problem correlation, and remote control of computers. We use many of these use cases in conjunction with PDQ Deploy. It is the most comprehensive computer management tool I have used.

Pros:

Dynamic Collections, advanced querying, custom scans with PowerShell, and flexibility with building tools.

Cons:

No recycle bin or version control. It's easy to break advanced configurations by making the wrong change and having to recreate from scratch. Collection Membership updating performance could be improved; occasionally while creating and tweaking new filters, the update time can be problematic.

Director, Information Technology in US
Legal Services, 201-500 Employees

Yes, you want Inventory too

Comments: PDQ Inventory will at first seem like it's optional. Yeah, PDQ Deploy is amazing. Though, Inventory is what you need to truly unlock the potential of Deploy. The ability to create really smart Dynamic Collections, then perform deployments on them is what makes the duo unstoppable. They're truly better together. I can't tell you how many times I'll hear an end user complain about a computer, and the first thing I'll do is a quick search to find out system information in PDQ Inventory.

Pros:

Dynamic collections make my heart happy. We're able to stay on top of endpoint status without the burden of manual entry.

Cons:

I love the software. In reality, the only thing I could ask for is the ability to do some closer to real-time alerts.

Richard
Broadcast Media, 201-500 Employees

PDQ Inventory saves time for my team.

Comments: PDQ Inventory has helped us identify many obsolete workstations, old software titles and rogue applications.

Pros:

We can easily generate and schedule reports to help us manage our environment. We have a small team and PDQ Inventory keeps us on task with automated reports.

Cons:

PDQ Inventory displays the current logged in user, but it would be helpful if PDQ Inventory could store the last (5) users to log into each workstation and display that information when needed. We often need to find who has logged into a specific workstation and this functionality would help us with that task.

Denham
Information Services, 11-50 Employees

Great Inventory program for Windows

Comments: Great it works great and does what I need.

Pros:

Super easy to use, works wonderfully with PDQ Deploy.

Cons:

Windows only, if there was a cross platform component it would be perfect.

Frank
IT-Systemadministrator in Germany
Insurance Software, 51-200 Employees

Great Software Product

Comments: Installed software products
Hardware configuration
Status of services, firewall
It can be used for anything, to query a status or to uncover problems

Pros:

With PDQ inventory you can quickly get an overview of what is going on on the computers. And together with PDQ Deploy, it's perfect for an administrator. Easy to use and thus an automation system for distributing software can be created.

Cons:

I didn't miss anything in the software for my job

Joshua
Tech Support Engineer in US
Insurance Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Great for PC Asset Management

Comments: We cycle out our computers every 4 years. PDQ is great for seeing what software needs added to their new machine. Being able to see the current OS and uptime, laptop make and model, and serial number all on the main view, we can eliminate some trouble shooting steps while on the phone with a user. The customer queries are very helpful. In just a glance I can see how many people have a specific software, so I'm able to adjust license counts to match.

Pros:

The ability to make whatever customer queries you need. You can setup multiple queries based on department that machines are in, software that is used, and even based on how much free space is available on the device.

Cons:

It is great for seeing what software is installed on a machine, and you can even uninstall programs directly through PDQ, but you cannot search for updates for software. We still utilize Ninite for software deployment and updates. If they added it to PDQ, it would be a great time saver.

Brian
Systems Supervisor in US
Judiciary, 51-200 Employees

Power for pennies

Comments: It's easy to create new collections on the fly to identify endpoints requiring attention and to automate remedial or maintenance tasks on them using PDQ Deploy.

Pros:

The ability to create custom collections and scanners based on just about any criteria.

Cons:

It can be hard to reach VPN-connected endpoints to scan.

Aaron
Systems Engineer in US

Professional Windows Hater, PDQ Lover

Comments: PDQ Inventory makes it a snap to inventory, manage, and monitor servers and workstations throughout the domains I manage.

Pros:

PDQ Inventory is ridiculously easy to deploy, it makes up for a mountain of shortcomings in Microsoft's own management software.

Cons:

I have no cons when using PDQ software.

Chad C.
Chad C.
Systems Engineer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees

PDQ Inventory- Rockstar Quality

Comments: Phenomenal product. Exceptional Support. Could not be more pleased and love using this product every day.

Pros:

What I like most is having complete insight into all of my assets. Every category, is covered

Cons:

Nothing. There hasn't been one thing that PDQ hasnt had that I needed

Timo
Head of IT in Germany
Industrial Automation, 201-500 Employees

Greatest Inventory tool available

Comments: Used it for years. Collections can be build on nearly anthing: installed software, files, reg entries etc.

Pros:

Very powerful and customizable. Great and very helpful support

Cons:

Nothing. Software is very close to business, useful features are implemented on a regular basis

Harry Perry
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

PDQ Inventory

Comments: I love the fact that I know what's in every machine on the network. I like that we can get a notification if a device configuration changes.

Pros:

I love the package. Just having a few issues when machine IP changes.

Cons:

Being able to configure multiple domains.

Dovid
IT Director in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Admin's View of the World

Comments: I know what's going on with all my computers.

Pros:

Keeps my inventory up to date effortlessly. I can run reports on demand in seconds.

Cons:

I like everything. Any issues, PDQ Support jumps right on it. Support is amazing.

Russell
Systems Admin in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Inventory

Comments: Using it in conjunction with PDQ Deploy for software installs and scripted changes has been really nice.

Pros:

Able to look at inventory in detail. Ability to stop and start processes etc.

Cons:

It would be nice to automatically put all devices that have not checked in, over a certain time period, in a separate container. For example dead AD computer accounts.