15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Trello

A visual collaboration tool that creates a shared perspective for your team on any project in a fun, flexible, and rewarding way.

Learn more about Trello

Pros:

Trello's design and user-friendly interface makes this software not only extremely effective, but also visually pleasing. I am a designer by trade and I like things to be beautiful.

Cons:

I hate the way that they don't have a customer for Linux. I likewise hate that it's an electronic application that you must be online to utilize.

Trello ratings

4.5
4.3
4.3
4.5

8.5/10

Trello has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 23,108 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Trello before?

Filter reviews (23,108)

Erika
Erika
Digital Product Manager in US
Publishing, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Good professionally or personally

Pros:

I use Trello both at work and at home. At work, I use it to track tasks that I need to do with 3 simple columns in my workspace - "To Do," "In Progress," and "Done." At home, I actually take it a few steps further because I use it with home improvement projects and have columns such as "To Buy," "Long Term To Do's," "Companies Contacted." It's great for both!

Cons:

It needs to allow me to upload images as well as attachments.

Matt
Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Very simple and very organized

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall the experience has been excellent and I use Trello daily to manage my workload and projects.

Pros:

I love that I can set up a Trello board in just a few minutes and it's functional and ready to be used. I also like how easy it is to integrate with Zapier so that I can include my Trello activity in other platforms that I use, and vice versa.

Cons:

Trello doesn't have a ton of moving parts, so while this is good for quick and easy setup, sometimes I have more advanced automated needs that it can't support, as a task and project management tool.

Chaya
Chaya
Trainee Software Engineer in Sri Lanka
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Trello - Managing projects sophisticatedly

Comments: Trello is becoming one of the most popular project management tools with its facilities like file uploading , adding due dates, color labels . Also Trello can be used with many devices like phones , computers or tablets. These facilities have attracted the users and it has become more popular among the users.

Pros:

Trello is a one of the most popular web based project management tool used in these days. Because of its attractive visual and high adaptability it has become more and more popular. Through Trello people wo are scattered on different geographical areas yet working on the same project can get together and continue their work without any obstacles. The application provides the ability to transfer files among the team members and users can put cards to mark the work to do. Also each card is assigned a color label according to the priority of each task. Because of the colored label facility users may not miss dead lines. When a card is created user is given a chance to add due date . When the time is close color of the card turns in to yellow and once the date is passed it will automatically turn in to red. This method helps the user not to miss the dead lines. Also Trello can be used on many platforms like computers , tablets and even on the phones.

Cons:

In order to use Trello users need to have a proper internet connection. Without a proper network connection users cannot use the application. Trello is more suitable for simple projects with in a small scale. It is not suitable for big projects with many teams . Users can only upload files up to 10MB for each attachment. Files bigger than 10MB cannot be upload if you are a basic member. Only business class and gold members can attach files up to 250MB.

Jose Miguel
Professor in Chile
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

When simplicity can be your best ally

Comments: The simplicity of Trello is what keeps me as its faithful user, and every time I have to present this type of tool to my students, it is the only time I do not have to spend a large amount of time teaching how to use it. Despite having many more features since it began its journey with Atlassian, Trello maintains its main asset, which is simplicity, but don't be fooled, you only have to scratch the surface, and you will find that Trello allows you to organize your work efficiently and powerfully.

Pros:

Trello is the task manager that I continue to use, despite using another application as a project manager. The reason is simple, Trello was born as a simple tool and remains so, despite having many more features since I first used it about 10 years ago. This ease of use means that it can be used by people of all levels and ages, facilitating teamwork, and having a free tier that has everything you need to enter the world of modern task managers. If you want more, no problem, you can increase your features for a low cost. I can switch from project manager for sure, but in my day to day, Trello is my preferred task manager.

Cons:

Although its free tier gives a good idea of the type of product that the user has in front of him, it is strange that one of the functionalities that it restricts in that layer are views apart from the classic dashboard. The best way to show the versatility of Trello is by taking a look at the various ways it has to present tasks and workflow. I hope that as its features continue to grow, views will become part of the free core of Trello.

Cláudia
Architect in Portugal
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

A good software to manage work daily

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It is easy to use and set up. It can be used for many team members and it is mostly free.

Cons:

It is limited due to being used the free version. But it can be upgraded to the premium version

Kantapat
Web Development Manager in Thailand
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

great project managment tool

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Kanban boards are quite useful for managing project workflow. As well it can be used as a bucket for tasks for different people, so you can see all their activity on a single board.

Cons:

The web version becomes laggy when there are too many cards on the board.

Serge
Designer in UK
Design, 2–10 Employees

Effortless Collaboration and Organization in My Experience with Trello

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I most liked Trello's intuitive interface and its flexible task management features which make organizing and prioritizing work incredibly straightforward and efficient.

Cons:

The least appealing aspect of Trello for me was its limited functionality for complex project management, particularly in areas like reporting and advanced integrations.

Rudith
Csr in Philippines
Insurance Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Powerful Amzing tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Trello makes im.possible possible
This is a ultimate teamwork project management tool

Pros:

Trello is a visual tool that EMPOWERS EVERY TEAM TO MANAGE ANY TYPE OF PROJECT TASK OR WORKFLOW TRACKING

Cons:

Nothing for its a buddy .help and a friend of me ,on my daily task

Sijan
Sijan
Team Leader in Nepal
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

A great software for Task Management and Collaboration

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Trello is a great software for task management when specially working in teams. The software itself is very user-friendly and helps prioritizing the works, distribute responsibilities and also helps to keep the track of the project progress. It has been extremely helpful to enhance the communication in our team.

Cons:

As a first time user, It may take time to understand all its functions and features but as you get going you will get used to it. It may not be the most economical approach and quite come as a bit expensive for the premium features.

S Venkateswar
Freelancer in India
Internet, Self Employed

Review on Trello

4.0 last month New

Comments: Simplicity and Transparent approach to protect management

Pros:

Automation, Suitable for all sizes of business, Mobile App based, Integration with third party apps, Real time collaboration streamline team work, power ups,Use of Card system

Cons:

Complexities of integration, customisation, security, Not suitable for complexities, depending on internet

Julian
Julian
CEO in Chile
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Simple and free tool for time management using Agile principles

Comments: We are a corporate training company and we use Trello to teach time management for corporate users. Our participants adopt very easily the tool and are ready to use it in minutes. I also personally use it to store information, manage small projects, plan my trips and collaborate with others. Simple and effective.

Pros:

Trello is super easy to use and a very simple concept. However, it is amazing powerful and has lots of power ups and extensions to make it even more powerful. Its free and very intuitive. I use it with the participants in my workshops and they can all register and get it running in a couple of minutes.

Cons:

Managing several boards can become cumbersome and Trello does not have an easy way to sync cards or lists among boards. With the purchase of Buttler a former third party power up, this is a bit better now, but still a big flaw.

Lee
Lee
Sr. Web Developer in US
Building Materials, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Software for Small Teams

Comments: It is great for small teams that aren't strictly held to a standard for regular sprint cycles. If you want a quick SCRUM or KANBAN experience for a hobby or small project it is perfect. If you're looking to manage a large scale development project, it is not scalable.

Pros:

It's very easy to use and extremely flexible for many styles of project management. Using it on several of my side projects not related to the core of my development role, I have been able to easily keep track of progress and manage the workflow for a small team and small projects. The plugins were fun to use as well. I really liked the "aging cards" effect for cards that haven't moved through the workflow fast enough.

Cons:

As a developer on many projects, Trello became cumbersome when we needed to scale and manage multiple projects. I wanted to, but the costs and features seemed to limit the scope of what we could do with various agile teams on numerous projects. I think it would have worked, but our contractors were looking for something more along the lines of JIRA for software development project management. We never got to try out multiple features or plugins with Trello as a whole. I did get to use it to manage my tasks related to JIRA issues, which was okay, but I eventually opted for tasks in JIRA. In short, it is hard to clearly define sprints and tasks for those sprints without having to repeatedly create new labels or new boards to separate sprints.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah
Head of Optimization and Engagement in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

The simplest project management tool I've ever used

Comments: Trello is incredible. For a small, agile, team trying to manage the day-to-day operations, it's perfect. If you're looking for something to manage organizations in the hundreds or thousands, or something with sophisticated reporting, I'd look at other options.

Pros:

Trello is dead simple. It takes about 30 seconds to signup and start using it for task management, and another 15 minutes to start understanding how to do some more sophisticated tasks with the tool. It's also extremely easy to use for collaboration. Because of the easy signup it's better than most tools for bringing in other team members and easily working them into the everyday flow of the software. I also love that it's free for the basic tools. We have a team of 12 people who use it on a daily basis and have never had to pay for usage. That said, if we wanted to use it with other teams we'd likely need to pay, but it's still substantially less expensive than the alternatives. With Trello it's really easy to manage multiple boards which is super handy because I can manage both personal and business tasks from the same website, without needing to switch logins.

Cons:

There's not much to dislike about Trello when used for smaller teams/organizations. The core features are definitely a bit limited compared to other top project management tools, but there's a lot of really solid additions on paid plans that help level it up. It probably wouldn't be my choice for project management in an organization of hundreds, but for our purposes it works extremely well.

Biotechnology, 2–10 Employees

Best task manager

Comments: So far is free, so it also has the best relationship price/quality you can find.

Pros:

By far this is the easiest to use task manager in the market. It is very intuitive and easy to use without missing functionality. I've used for several projects big and small and never failed me.

Cons:

The only drawback I see is that after you create a task you must go back to add information, this is something that should be done in one step instead of two. It has less features than JIRA, but most JIRA features are of not use for me, so I can't complain for this, but if you are looking for a JIRA drop-in replacement, this is not the software you are looking for.

Beth
Beth
Administrator in US
Accounting Software, 11–50 Employees

Fantastic software for project tracking

Comments: We use trello to track the status of tax returns (from the moment we remind clients to send us stuff to when it is accepted by the IRS), to track the status of potential clients, and also to keep lists of procedures by type (Accounting, Bookkeeping, sales tax, etc)

Pros:

My most favorite thing is the Kanban Board view and labels. They make it so easy to track where projects are so multiple people working on something can see what needs to be done vs. what is already done and who is working on it! It is incredibly user friendly whether you're on a computer, a phone, or even using the app! I like that we can attached files not only from our devices but also from Google Drive. Finally, the price is really inexpensive, so when we add someone to our team we don't have to decide if it's worth it to add them!

Cons:

The only thing it really seems to be missing is having the gmail thread as part of trello, instead of having to pay for a third party add-on. We'd also like the ability to export a board+lists to excel.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Trello Boards good for planning - as good as MS Project

Comments: We have used Trello Boards for tracking an annual event for the past 5 years. Each year we can look at the previous year's boards and add and subtract from them to build a new set of boards. This is a good thing for the way we work.

Pros:

Ease of use. The user interface is simple for most people to us. Even our most computer challenged people are able to use this product.

Cons:

I think each person has unique patterns of working and not all our planners think the same way. Sometimes we set up a board that we think will track what we think is important when all the board creation does is create questions. That is not the fault of Trello. It is just that each person has different ways of using the app.

Jesse
UX Director in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

An exception agile development management tool

Comments: Our experience with Trello comes from managing multiple, enterprise class interface and application design projects using Trello.

Pros:

The ability to quickly setup new workspaces, create lanes (lists), tasks and assign them to the appropriate team member makes using Trello a time saver. You can also customize Boards with different backgrounds, etc to differentiate them from other projects, which is nice. Being able to list the work needing to be done (backlog), the stages of development or production it will go through (lists / lanes), assign team members to specific tasks and attach images, docs, etc. at the task level creates a highly collaborative and feature rich product from a very simple interface.

Cons:

Honestly, there's nothing that I would change at this point. It works flawlessly and efficiently. Our teams love it.

Caitlyn
Editor-In-Chief in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Great projects managing software for anyone starting out with a small team

Comments: Trello was a great software to get my feet wet, sotospeak, when it came to getting the hang of using a project management software for my business. It definitely helped me to graduate to the next level in my ability to keep my team productive. Even as my team has grown, I have decided to keep the Trello software for the purposes of managing all of my management teams scheduling, tasks, and etc. Because, as I have said throughout this review, I found as my business grew that Trello is made for businesses that are just starting out and need something to help them learn the ropes of project management. Or, they are great for businesses that have a small intimate group of team members. So, overall I would say my experience with using this software to keep my team on time, on task, and on the same page has been a good one.

Pros:

There are a lot of pros when it comes to using this software. It's great for listing projects in order of priority, managing projects, as well as being able to update the workflow and track the progress of each project. It is great for anyone who has a team of at least two or three people.

Cons:

The only issue I really see here is the fact that this software is obviously built for someone who is just starting out, or only has a team of, at most, five people. So, if you are looking for something to help delegate work and keep everyone on the same page for you management team, this is perfect for you. However, if you are planning on managing a large scale personnel operation, I would supplement this software with something else that can help you manage a larger group of people.

Simon
Owner in UK
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Using Trello for a Digital Agency Start up

Comments: Very positive. Easy to use and integrate with other tools through powerups

Pros:

This is my Goto for planning projects with my customers. It is zero effort to show a customer how to use it and start collaborating. This in contrast to a tool like Jira is really good for a startup business like mine. I intend to upgrade to premium version but it has been great to get me started.

Cons:

Would have liked to be able to trial premium features before making decision. Maybe this is possible but cannot remember.

Fernando
Fernando
Games Director in Spain
Entertainment, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A Jack-of-All-Trades for Task Management

Comments: I juggle between three different tools to organize myself:
1. MyLifeOrganized (https://www.mylifeorganized.net): A pure task manager where I can list tasks and subtasks, prioritise, add dates, and mark them as completed.
2. Trello: A visual board where I can see how my tasks flow, and add details to each tasks (text, attachments, images, comments).
3. OneNote (https://products.office.com/en-us/onenote/digital-note-taking-app): A note-taking app, where I can write longer texts, add any attachment, include video or audio directly from the app into my notes and reorganize them easily.
Whenever I need to write longer specifications, or archive something for future reference, OneNote is my tool of choice. If I am purely working on my own with standalone or unrelated tasks, MLO is the easiest tool for me, quicker and with lots of intelligent reminders. When I need to focus on a project - a lot of related tasks - and/or share these tasks with someone else - i.e. working within a team - Trello shines brightly for me.

Pros:

* Ease of use: Creating tasks, editing and moving them is VERY easy and quick. * The shortcuts are intelligently chosen, and help working faster. * Thanks to all the functionalities within each card, Trello adapts very well to very different working styles: I can choose to create a checklist (so I simulate a tasks with subtasks), add attachments, labels, comments, etc. * Very nice experience when working with a team: syncs seamlessly and fast, I can see things as they happen in the actions feed and react if I want to, we can have whole conversations within a card, and have them for reference... * Something I specially love is the fact that I can copy an image (something I do a lot, capturing images with screenshot tools and the like) and paste it directly into a card. Trello understands that and displays the image as a comment.

Cons:

* I don't like the board management screens. I find hard sometimes to find the boards I want. * I guess there is a reason for not allowing me to delete cards, rather than archiving them, but I still feel that I would like to be able to delete them.

Patrick
Digital Content Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Hello Trello! You will wonder how you lived without it.

Pros:

Trello is an outstanding web based project management app. Its feature rich design makes it easy to adapt to a variety of workflows and project management techniques. While Trello provides excellent documentation (which I recommend power users to read through at some point, I highly recommend that users initially go and explore on their own (yes, like the not reading the IKEA instructions exploring) to check out the features. Users will likely find many of the functions to be rather intuitive. The reason I recommend that users skip the docs at first is so that they do not form the idea that there is a “right way” to use Trello. Trello is a powerful app with an enormous amount of features; however, perhaps its greatest feature is flexibility. Users can configure a workflow that works for them to help streamline processes and complete tasks efficiently while collaborating with others and tracking progress. Trello also offers up a ton of integrations (called Power-Ups) that are available to supercharge its functionality. For example, a Google Drive Power-Up is available allowing users to take advantage of cloud storage to work with files and documents in a collaborative environment instead of relying on an endless list of email threads to move their projects along. Overall, Trello offers a powerhouse of features for all things project and task management, assignment, and tracking. It also has a worthwhile mobile app to keep you in reach of updates at all times.

Cons:

Trello is an excellent app. It’s primary and possibly only drawback maybe getting users to stick with it and not give up on it prematurely as it can be overwhelming when they first set out to configure their work space and workflows.

Jason
Jason
Sr. IT Support Engineer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Great tool for managing team tasks

Comments: Overall, I find Trello to be an excellent tool for team collaboration and tracking. Its ability to integrate with other services helps keep the whole team accountable, and ensures that we all have access to the information and resources we need. If you need a free or low cost way of working with teams, you can't do much better than Trello.

Pros:

Most of my usage for Trello is in the context of film and writing projects, working with teams of fellow students at UCLA. Beyond that, I've also used it extensively on my own projects working with other teams to create various kinds of content, ranging from writing to the full suite of production responsibilities. What's great about Trello is that you can use it in a variety of ways, with a fairly deep level of granularity. Using their card system, it's easy to define top level projects and then layer in a hierarchy of tasks necessary to achieve those projects. Subtasks can be assigned on an individual basis, and it's easy for team members to communicate their progress in a very simple interface. Trello is also extremely flexible to use in part because of the breadth of its available apps. Whether you're working from Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or even just a web browser on pretty much any OS, you can keep track of your work and progress easily and cleanly. The Android app supports widgets of various kinds, and several third party options further enhance this capability, with prices ranging from free to a few dollars. Last but certainly not least, Trello can integrate with a number of other services, including Slack, Microsoft Teams, Adobe XD (great for artists to track their own work progress!), Skype and bluejeans for meetings, and many more. As with all such services, some integrations are free, others paid, but you have lots of flexibility

Cons:

The only real issue I've found with Trello is that when signal is an issue with your mobile device, some of the apps can be a little flaky. Rather than having a local caching mechanism it appears to rely predominantly on the cloud being accessible. This makes sense to a certain extent: by doing so, they reduce the risk of sync conflicts when multiple people update the same tasks. Still, it can be frustrating if you're in a spot where you could get some work done, but your connection is sketchy.

Namita
Director of Program Management in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

User Friendly and customizable Project Management application!

Comments: Adding users to the card, creating checklists, adding due date to not only to each card but to each sub-item is very handy. As the due date/time is close, there is a different color for you to easily understand your priority task. I liked that I could add and import checklists, copy cards, assign tasks to relevant users and once they are done, the cardmembers can be notified. You can easily archive cards as work is completed. Moving and reorganizing card between boards and lists is very handy. You do not need big planning to work with this application, you can start anywhere and enhance/organize it the way you want. That will save you lots of rework! This application is very convenient to work with contractors, they do not have to be on the organization Trello account, as long as they have a Trello account, you can work with them. You can add them to only cards they have a task assigned. We also integrated this with Slack and it is very convenient to get a notification on the slack channel.

Pros:

The application is designed by keeping Kanban methodology in mind. It is very simple and easy to use. Well designed for any level of technical and project management experience. I love how I can organize lists, cards, and boards. I also like the level of security I can set up for each user and board. Trello is an inexpensive application. They offer freemium version as well. We used freemium in the beginning and as we grew, we upgraded to the paid version. Overall, I am very impressed with this project management application! You can organize your tasks well and communicate with the team by focusing on your priority and deadline.

Cons:

This is by Atlassian software and I understand that JIRA is designed by keeping enterprise in mind, while this is more for small to mid-size businesses. So, it is not very convenient to manage sprints, etc for product development. You cannot use Trello for a large scale projects.

Anton
Anton
SAP Team Lead in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Simple Boards for Simple Project Management

Comments: I think that the Trello is a very useful tool to manage small and mid-size projects (or parts of big projects, like a board for a development team or boards for a specific team (not all-in-one). I have used Trello for 5 years now and what keeps me still using it - it's because it's the most simple task management software ever created and most of it is free. So why do You need something else (only if You're not looking for something more sophisticated)?

Pros:

Trello is very "easy" in many ways and it's the best feature: - it's easy to use - You don't need any training to start managing tasks and projects in Trello; - it's easy to set up - just 4-5 minutes and You're ready to go (if You use a template provided by the Trello team - You'll need no more than 1 minute); - you don't need additional software - all works in web-browsers even on mobile phones (although there are native apps for iOS and android); - you can easily use it every day for stand-ups, workshops, etc because You see all the relevant information and can update tasks in real-time; - there are many power-ups (some free, some not) that can make your Task management more reach, bring more context or useful tools from which You can benefit.

Cons:

It's not for complex projects (like with Gantt charts and long lists of dependent tasks) as You definitely will lose the focus on Your board with huge amounts of tasks. It's best to keep it simple - that's where the efficiency thrives. Also, as Trello relies on Your vision of task/project management, sometimes You can find yourself overcomplicating stuff...

Eli
Eli
Content Writer in US

I have been using Trello for project management for the past two years. I've found it to be helpful!

Comments: Trello allows our team to keep all the relevant files for each project in one place. As a writer, I can attach reference photos for what I would like the designer to make. I can also post links to similar content. It also acts as a workflow space that is easy to follow because of its visual nature. We move cards from left to right as the project is moving through each stage of development. This makes it easy to check in on any given project.

Pros:

Trello's strength lies in the ability to attach all relevant files to a project in one easy to find location. I love that I can easily drag and drop photos onto the card. I like the process that my company uses of moving cards from left to right through different lists, because it allows me to see how quickly my coworkers are finishing a given task. I also appreciate the newly updated notifications tab because it allows you to see the edit history of a card without opening it completely. I also like that you can mark some notifications as read and leave others unread. I would love to see them take this even further by allowing users to write a comment on the card from the notifications tab, without having to open the card. The search function is a lifesaver. With hundreds of cards on our collaborative board, it can be very difficult to find one that is weeks or months old. I use the search function to find cards all day long!

Cons:

Sometimes it can feel bit clunky. For instance, I don't like how clicking anywhere on the card closes the description field and gives you the message of "Unsaved edits have been made". It should just automatically save when you click off of the text box. This happens to me regularly and is a continual source of frustration and waste of time. Moving cards using drag and drop often fails and leaves cards where they started. Because of this glitch, I usually use the dropdown list on the card to move it instead. But it would be nice if the drag and drop was more reliable.