15 years helping Canadian businesses

About SendGrid

Twilio SendGrid is the leading cloud-based email delivery platform, trusted by the world's fastest-growing brands.

Learn more about SendGrid

Pros:

The software is powerful and while advances it’s quite easy to get a hang of.

Cons:

The customer support was the worst I have ever experienced.

SendGrid ratings

4.1
3.8
4.1
4.0

7.5/10

SendGrid has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 725 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used SendGrid before?

Dylan
Dylan
Software Developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Pretty solid product with a good reputation, but can be pricey

Comments: My overall experience with SendGrid has been positive. I appreciate its reliability, detailed analytics, and user-friendly interface. My only concerns are with pricing scalability and occasional customer support challenges, but the platform consistently delivers effective and impactful email campaigns.

Pros:

SendGrids high deliverability rates, solid tracking metrics and easy to use interface make it a very attractive offering in a competitive space.

Cons:

The pricing structure mean that scalability can be a concern, there are some sudden jumps in pricing. The step from 200k to 250k emails a month takes you from $89.95/mo to $249/mo which is a suddenly 3x cost increase, with similar 2x increases at the next intervals. Having unit-based pricing would be less stressful than suddenly crossing a threshold.

Alternatives Considered: HubSpot Marketing Hub and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: SendGrids developer tools made it far easier to integrate with than Mailchimp, for what we needed to do.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: The developer offering was much simpler, and the starting pricing was fairly attractive if a little bit of a honeypot to get you on their ladder.

Orianne
Orianne
Specialist Marketing in Spain
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Sending SaaS emails through the service is the best option.

Comments: Minimal running costs and the minimal need for application development make the API cost-effective. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API can perform many functions. These include distribution results and bounce information, which make the proper operation possible. MTA SaaS services are made possible by the original. It is used to display messages from the service provider and notify the public of upcoming announcements. Nowadays it is difficult to operate with an original because it could be used by malicious third parties as a spam pass-through. However, it can operate securely if appropriate security measures and patches are applied frequently. Using the SendGrid service frees business owners from work they cannot control.

Pros:

With the sub-user functions and the ability to manage each distribution case, it is easy to confirm the rate and track each delivery in the dashboard. In addition, it is easy to ensure bounce time records and investigate why mail was not delivered from the dashboard. This is because each case has a dedicated distribution manager that can perform distribution management in each case. It is advisable to confirm delivery with a tracking code, but it is also possible to check mail confirmation without any further action. This process can be completed quickly with any of the services offered.

Cons:

Since the records of previous bounces disappear when searching, I want to extend the logging period a bit. To extract the data through webhooks, making a request each time is necessary.

Olivia
CEO in Canada
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Effective and affordable

Comments: We have used SendGrid for transactional emails for over ten years. It works. It’s simple. It’s affordable.

Pros:

SendGrid is straightforward and does what we need it to do for an affordable price.

Cons:

SendGrid is not complex enough for out marketing email needs.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: I chose SendGrid because its functions as we need it to and it’s affordable for a small startup.

Agapi
Head of Marketing in Greece
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Not the most intuitive platform

3.0 last month New

Comments: I found myself working with Sendgrid during a project I was supporting. Let’s say it makes me missing the tools I used before even more.

Pros:

It is definitely a reliable tool, and does what it is expected to do.

Cons:

Two different areas -legacy and the rest- make processes complicated

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Unique Way to Build a Custom Campaign manager in Record Time

Comments: We've liked it thus far, we're working on rebranding and on the email side we're ready thanks to SendGrid.

Pros:

We like how there are code snippets, thorough documentation, and multiple-domain support (Something we lacked before)

Cons:

I'm fond of support that makes you wait for a solution when an issue arises, but errors and documentation is thorough enough it rarely happens.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: We cannot disclose our previous provider, so we did switch but can't say. We chose SendGrid over Mailchimp because it's more for developers and custom solutions. MailChimp is more customer-end-user friendly.

Joe
Joe
COO in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Customer Service Is Terrible

Comments: As long as you don't have an issue and need CS their tech works great and have a good value proposition. When I can find another company with a similar value proposition and even decent customer service I will switch.

Pros:

They present a good value and a dependable product

Cons:

Customer service is terrible. It used to be pretty good. They have made getting service more difficult, and when you use the chat they try to redirect you away. So when you chat you get in a queue and they text you when you are next. I get a text go to the chat and it says >1 Minute. I stay on for 3-5 minutes no one is there, I go back to what I am doing and when I go back the chat closed. Do it all over again, and this time within a minute someone gets on. I message 7 times my question and issue, 10 minutes go by before I get an answer. The whole process is terrible and purposefully by design treats their paying customer like trash. You don't matter, your time doesn't matter, and in fact you are an idiot for not figuring out the issue on your own. Even when my question/issue was something ONLY they can do. I do not have the ability to increase subusers, only they do. I wish I could say that this is a SendGrid issue, almost every business has rearranged their CS to serve employees, which usually is at the expense of those who pay to make the whole operation work.

Alternatives Considered: SparkPost

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: I also use Twilio, seemed like a reasonable thing to use both services.

Eddie
Eddie
CEO in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

E-mail Marketing optimized for Professionals

Comments: SendGrid is a tool made for those looking for industrial strength e-mail marketing. If you have a small list and want a free tool where you have many templates and can drag and drop designs, MailChimp is the right tool. However, if you are sending millions of e-mails and want to use code and highly technical attributes with tens of thousands of users in your e-mail list you pretty much have to abandon MailChimp and SendGrid is the best tool in the space

Pros:

The code editor and how everything is optimized for coding allows for truly beautiful e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid can accommodate beautiful e-mail templates that were created in HTML/CSS, you just have to know how to code for it to be useful for you.

Cons:

They do not have a way to graphically edit particularly easily like with MailChimp. To make a good looking e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code, there are not a lot of templates provided for you to edit or drag and drop. It was not intended as a tool if you would like to drag and drop. On the upside this got us to learn how to code better.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: MailChimp actually gets very pricey after you exceed 2,000 users. MailChimp also lacks the sophistication you need when you start doing more advanced activities companies like Uber and Spotify do. If you see sent by MailChimp you know it's a small business.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: SendGrid is professional strength e-mail marketing.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Sendgrid'e Email API has solved our problems in email campaigns

Comments: In addition to having their emails filtered as spam, sales representatives were unable to monitor their recipients' actions when sending them via their email client. Our problem was fixed via Sendgrid's email API.

Pros:

Integrating with the email API is a breeze. When compared to other mass email service providers, we have seen that SendGrid consistently produces the highest interaction rates. The ability to automatically retry sent emails is a good bonus.

Cons:

There is no consistency in the percentages of emails opened or clicked. There is currently no mechanism to block measurements that originate from email service provider bots.

Ben
Ben
Marketing Automation in Mexico
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Sendgrid is a great tool for program driven emails.

Pros:

I admire SendGrid for its seamless setup process, allowing even novices to integrate sophisticated emailing capabilities into their applications swiftly. The clear and comprehensive documentation walks you through every step, and the intuitive API makes crafting and sending emails a breeze. Not to mention the extensive libraries in various languages, reducing development time and effort. Truly, its convenience and efficiency make it a preferred choice for developers looking to implement email services.

Cons:

The support seems to be slow to respond at times and/or not very effective. Also delivery is not the best in the industry. but still very good.

Roger
Roger
Product Lead in US
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent, reliable - I recommend; using for years pre-Twilio

Pros:

Reliable, excellent delivery rates, clean API - I like 'em. Have used for years including Pre-Twilio acquisition, and still good service.

Cons:

No complaints here. Not sure what to write.

Alternatives Considered: Mailgun

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: We use both - for different reasons / types - both great products and no wrong answer.

Dome
Digital Director in Italy
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

That's the best smtp software you can get for your buck

Comments: i would recommend sendrgrig to everyone my mum included. It's just the best smtp provider if you consider money and value

Pros:

ok this is not a free software but you can get all you want: just smtp or stats and more.. what I really enjoyed was the stats service.. If you run an e-commerce you'll be familiar with the question: "did my customer got the email?" well with sendgrid you can actually answer that question. You'll have a full report and you can easily tell if your customer got the email or something went wrong. This is something just invaluable.

Cons:

This is not a pricy software but you need to understand its value. if your business is not big enough maybe it will be hard to sustain. nevertheless i just can say this is the place to look even if you have a small business. unless you want to take the burden of handling smtp this software is just awesome.

Alternatives Considered: MailUp , Zoho Mail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: This is the best software if you need an affordable secure smtp with stats and cherries on top.

Switched From: Zoho Mail and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: SendGrid is my recommended choice. I'll keep suggesting it to all my customers.

Pranjal
Co founder in India
Media Production, 11–50 Employees

More about deliverability and less about total email marketing solution defines sendgrid.

Comments: Sendgrid is great with delivering emails and is undisputed in transactional emails . Use it for its top notch deliverability, reporting and analytics as no other application even comes close to it in these areas but as a total email marketing platform; it lacks behind as it has very few campaign automation features, it is difficult to get used to and has a poor customer support. It is also slightly more expensive than others and falls in the middle of the lineup in terms of pricing.

Pros:

Deliverability, reporting and analytics and email validation are the areas where sendgrid is at the top. It even tells you if the email ids you are sending emails to are active or are misspelled or are disposable. It has excellent reporting features and lets you know the emails which bounced, got opened or got unsubscribed. Its email editor is good wherein you can edit existing templates using drag and drop features and you can also use tags for sending personalised emails.

Cons:

Campaign automation, segmentation of contact lists are severe drawbacks of this application. There is hardly anything you can automate in terms of automating your campaigns or automating when to send emails on certain action points.

Alternatives Considered: Brevo , Mailchimp and Mailjet

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Because of its deliverability.

Nurul Aishah
Nurul Aishah
Personal Banker in Malaysia
Financial Services Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Simplified email service

Pros:

Our business application uses Sendgrid for various purposes, including notification, authentication, and transactional data. We migrated from a competitor that was draining our bank accounts and causing a slew of problems. The cost was a good match for our budget and objectives, and the send grid was a perfect fit for us. They provide some handy online manuals to get you started, as well as a variety of configurable options to make sure the device is suitable for you.

Cons:

It requires greater adaptability and customization tools to be successful in the long run. I couldn't discover a method to adjust automatic track in UTMs; it can only be activated or deactivated, which isn't convenient. The integrating and installation procedure were the most challenging aspects of implementing Sendgrid for us. However, customer assistance and YouTube tutorials were beneficial.

Abigail
Abigail
Founder in Kenya

An Easy to Use Email Marketing Software

Comments: The detailed stats from each email campaign is amazing, and the Unsubscribe groups option really helped with GDPR compliance

Pros:

1. On the bottom left side of the dashboard is a small reputation percentage bar, that measures your reputation. The bar is updated daily based on your email sends, your reputation goes down if your email bounces or is marked as spam. 2. Stats: SendGrid provides A LOT of data on the performance of your email campaigns, these stats are: Requests, Delivered, Opens, Unique Opens, Clicks, Unique Clicks, Unsubscribes, Spam Reports, Bounces, Blocks, Bounce Drops, Spam Report Drops, Unsubscribe Drops and Invalid Emails. SendGrid also provides stats such as: Global Stats, Category Stats, Category Comparison, Subuser Stats, Subuser Comparison, Geographical, Email Clients & Devices, Mailbox Provider Stats, Mailbox Provider Comparison, Browser Stats, and Browser Comparison 3. A/B Testing 4. Unsubscribe Groups: This is without doubt my favorite feature from SendGrid. When you click on "Marketing" on the left side of your dashboard, and select tour from the drop down, it sort of lists steps to set up for sending marketing emails. Step 3 on the list of things to do is to create unsubscribe groups. Here you can Create groups that represent types of email that you regularly send to your recipients. If a recipient chooses to unsubscribe, they will have the option of selecting which of these groups they want to unsubscribe from.

Cons:

1. The Email templates in SendGrids gallery are a bit basic which initially wasn't a problem as I liked creating my own template, but I did not like how I couldn't modify the "columns" module to my taste. I wanted to create a template with three columns with the center column bigger than the two on the side. The idea was to have my client's images linking to their projects (On their websites) on the side columns, with the write up in the center column. However, that couldn't be done (At least so far it seems so as I can't find any option to tweak the size/width of each column) as each column has an equal width. 2. No automation function: I'd like to create a sort of If/Then sequence where I can resend an email to a group of people after x days, for example, I'd like to resend an email (With a different heading of course) to people who have not opened the first email after four days.

Zee
Zee
Digital Operations Manager in Ukraine
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

If you're tight on the budget...

Comments: It did what we needed it to do, so that was good. We used it for over a year for monthly newsletters, but as soon as our marketing budget allowed it, we switched to MailChimp.

Pros:

It did work and it did send the email newsletters that we needed it to. Therefore, it wasn't a complete waste of money :D Compared to many other options for email marketing, SendGrid was one of the cheapest options (except for sending the newsletters manually through one's email) and that was one of the reasons why we went with it.

Cons:

It's got a lot of features, but they feel half-baked (I'm sorry, but they do.) For example, you can unsubscribe those whose emails have bounced or who unsubscribed. But in order to do that, you need to download those lists, then upload them to a special list you can call "unsubscribes" or whatever, and then, right after you've imported this list, you delete it - along with associated accounts. THIS deletes the people who bounced from your lists. Seriously?! The annoying thing was the styling within the newsletter. I am a perfectionist, so all text sizes and everything should be consistent. However, SendGrid kept changing the styles of my text and I had to choose "Normal" several times (even after copy-pasting the text from Notepad that doesn't support formatting AT ALL). And if you click on "Edit HTML" (which I often do because it's a fast way to clean away all the annoying tags), SendGrid would convert my block to HTML and would have an entirely different set of styles for it. Also, the support pages were written for someone who is native to this SendGrid thing and not a newbie. Despite doing email marketing for years, I had a hard time understanding what I need to do.

Alternatives Considered: Reply and Mailchimp

Jonathan
Jonathan
CTO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

An affordable choice for transactional emails with one flaw

Comments: Overall, the experience was solid. Price and customer service were great. Unfortunately, the spam and email block issue was a deal breaker.

Pros:

The pricing is great. Easy to use API with lots of documentations. Their user interface is straightforward. The customer service has always been pretty quick to get back to me. It's a popular service with a lot of integrations available.

Cons:

I was a happy user of Sendgrid for a long time, but emails sent with the service always went to the spam folder for Microsoft email services (Outlook, Hotmail, MSN). This could never seem to get resolved, even with a dedicated IP that they offered. Then recently, Microsoft started blocking the emails. I found out this was because a spammer had used their service and got the shared IP blacklisted. They were unable to help me resolve it swiftly, so I had to leave the service, because we have a lot of people who use Microsoft email services.

Alternatives Considered: Mailgun

Matt
CTO in Canada
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

Best Transnational Email App

Comments: We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros:

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons:

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Pricing.

Abel
Abel
Founder in Nigeria
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

We use Sendgrid for many things

Comments: It's simply pleasant and we're still with them for the simplicity. That can't be over emphasized.

Pros:

Two things actually. The transactional email software was what we started with and it was exceptional. The emails were fast and delivered promptly. That made us try the email Marketing feature and we eventually dumped Mailchimp for it. You can have as much as 1000 free subscribers and send 6000 emails per month, not as much as Mailchimp is offering but it gets the job done and we love the simplicity, are there cons? Yes, and I'll get to that shortly. Sendgrid also takes security seriously and never lets you rest until you've turned on two factor authentication even when I'm sure my account is not in that much of a threat, simply not bad.

Cons:

Mostly on the email marketing part cause that's what we use more often. The pricing isn't small business friendly and you'd have to pay more to access essential features like automation, not great, you'd have to pay more for that. Dedicated IP, that I get, but automation not available on the basic paid package is kind of a kicker but with email marketing ROI, its probably a great investment but then again, we do make do without it. The software doesn't work well on all browsers and devices sometimes, it happened to us at some point but I reckon its been fixed.

Alternatives Considered: Benchmark Email and Mailchimp

Vinay K
Vinay K
Vice President - PMO in India
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Good but pricy option for Transaction Emails and 3rd party SMTP

Comments: We use this for our learning website to validate emails and send course and account-specific notifications to the signed-up users and it is really a hassle-free tool.

Pros:

Easy of getting startedGenerous Free TierSMTP

Cons:

Pricing is on the higher side as compared to the competition

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid: Better UI

Switched From: Alibaba Cloud

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: Pricing at that point of time

Nishtha
CEO in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

An amazing email marketing tool for sending bulk emails

Comments: Awesome!!! Its an amazing tool tool that offers metrics which helps us delivers results to our clients.

Pros:

We’ve been using sendgrid for more than 6 months now for our clients and we’ve seen amazing results with it. We’ve seen a conversion lift of somewhere between 10-12% which is great. The thing that I find most useful is it lets you collect signups and feedbacks right into the emails. I know its not some out of the box features but we’ve tried many other tools and we found sendgrid to have the easiest setup. The deliverability rate is also great for a email marketing tools and the metrics that it offers are really insightful. It helps us regularly monitor and reiterate our email sequences to optimise performance.

Cons:

I don’t think I’ve noticed any cons yet in my 6 months of usage. Its bug free and easy to set up email marketing tool

Alternatives Considered: ActiveCampaign and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid: ease of use

Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Sendgrid - send mail easily

Comments: Overall I would say their service has been super reliable and mail delivery has been great.

Pros:

SendGrid provide simple APIs to integrate with provide multiple programming language support for this. The service can scale and you get price reductions as you go up the tiers. There is also a legacy SMTP server option if you need to integrate older systems.

Cons:

Until you reach the Pro plan you only have 3 days of logs available. This can be problematic when trying to troubleshoot issues and can sometimes force you onto a higher tier than you really need.

Alternatives Considered: Amazon SES

Site Reliability Engineer in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Great email service for offloading website form emails from web hosting services

Comments: SendGrid is a great solution if sending emails from your website is critical to your business. It gives you the functionality to inspect and see what emails are being sent and to secure your emails using various security standards (ie. SPF, DKIM, etc).

Pros:

Often web hosts have email limits for websites and your contact forms or orders from your site can be shut off without warning. Using SendGrid means you can control your email services from your website and see what emails are being sent and whether they are being delivered. The SendGrid console allows you to view what emails are bouncing and which aren't being delivered (ie. fake email addresses), etc. Also SendGrid support is really great as well and will assist with how to go about securing your email using Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) (or their similarly named solution of this).

Cons:

With you could inspect the email bodies within the SendGrid console. Unfortunately you can only search on the email subject, dates, etc, but not the email bodies.

Deepa
Deepa
Campaign Specialist in India
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SendGrid excellent SMTP provider.

Pros:

SendGrid was our SMTP provider for transactional emails. Using the APIs, the platform can be easily integrated with the backend system and the service can be used right away. Pricing is very attractive and can be integrated with various marketing automation platforms.

Cons:

Mails start reaching SPAM box after some time and there is no clear way to analyse how many email are reaching to inbox. Domain and Ip reputation cannot be tracked on this platform.

Prashant
Prashant
Product Owner Lead in India
Internet, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best ESP provider so far

Comments: Yes for product I liked, for team, not so much.

Pros:

We used Sendgrid for our Email Marketing. I loved the technology, the cost was okay and easy to implement. It also optimized to reach user inbox instead of spam. It could also be integrated to CRM of your choice which team liked.

Cons:

The support, I mean, if you are paying $100,000 an year, we expect a dedicated person, which was not available. Even the sales team felt like more to make sales than worry about use case or team.

Esra
Esra
Research and Development Director in Türkiye

Awesome software!

Comments: We send approximately 300K emails per month and Sendgrid made this job very easy for us. I strongly recommend this software.

Pros:

We needed an email server provider for our web application and my friend recommended me Sendgrid 3 years ago. We are still using it without any problem. Our Pro 300K plan gives us a clean, dedicated IP address so our automatic emails don't end up in Spam folders. You can observe the email's journey and get various analytics on how many emails are delivered, how many people have opened, how many clicks etc. Our marketing team also started to use Sendgrid to send newsletters. It is very easy to manage contact lists and subscriptions. Customer support is great. They helped a lot whenever we have a question or problem. API documentation is clean and thorough.

Cons:

Website menu structure is a bit complicated and left menu fonts are faded. It is hard to read the menu elements. It's color should be darker.